Premier League Gameweek 12

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Ok so being completely fair here, City are the better team. They’ve passed round us and pressed better than we have. Bravo’s distribution has been very good as well.
Maybe it’s more even in terms of clear cut chances created.

I think VAR needs to overrule the referee in situations like that but the issue is that they’ve been given instructions not to imo. Oliver misinterpreted the handball rule imo.

Salah was onside for the second.

SirAnderson

The lines aren't straight!

And the PL said TAAs arm wasn't in an unnatural position
The feck it wasn't. He clear moved it away from his body in an attempt to make his body bigger from what I've seen. Only thing I'd say is the time factor but still, that hand was far away from his body.

I'm a skeptic but surely they can't invest in million dollar software and have skew like that. Comes down to human error again imo.

ajay1002

the official line for the offside looks so dodgy. and it's incredibly suspicious that the drawing of the two lines showing the relative positions of attacker and defender wasn't shown

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Interesting thing is a couple of days ago Bobby Madley (ex-PL ref) asked on twitter about a very similar scenario to the first goal

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
That’s 100% handball by Trent based on existing handball rules.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Or an incompetent intern drew the line in the wrong place.
The line isn't drawn, it's generated automatically by the software. Unless the software is faulty, the line is parallel(and it is, btw). Now whether they used the wrong point of reference is another story, but it doesn't look like it

Clear pen and that means Fabinhos goal ruled out. Whole title race changed on that one error.

Disgraceful. Luck falls Liverpool’s way once more.

NinjaFletch

The line isn't drawn, it's generated automatically by the software. Unless the software is faulty, the line is parallel(and it is, btw). Now whether they used the wrong point of reference is another story, but it doesn't look like it
That's not what the VAR software lines look like.

imanshole

Supports
Chelsea Fc
There was no offside and penalty as Bernando touched the ball on his hand prior to TAA.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In comparison to the penalty box lines though? If they actually are parallel then fair enough.
They are, yes. It's the angle, which is ahead of the play and likely behind or in line with the box, that creates the illusion

TheReligion

Abusive
Ok so being completely fair here, City are the better team. They’ve passed round us and pressed better than we have. Bravo’s distribution has been very good as well.

I think VAR needs to overrule the referee in situations like that but the issue is that they’ve been given instructions not to imo. Oliver misinterpreted the handball rule imo.

The handball is a clear and obvious error though. It's even more daft the PL are saying that his arm was in a natural position.. when it's literally miles away from his body.

Really baffling. Something similar will be given next week. There's no accountability.

el3mel

Let's be honest this can be said on any offside goal from now on : "The line doesn't look even parallel but it's the camera".

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's not what the VAR software lines look like.
I don't know if that was the VAR generated line. But it is parallel, yes, i'm sure of it. What i'm not sure of still is whether salah's knee is onside or not. They should show the VAR's 3D rendering

Eirelfc84

Supports
Liverpool
As far as the lines go,just thinking what I would trust with a straight line more. A groundsman having to go from side to side and expecting a perfectly straight line or a computer generated line.

cyberman

That makes no sense whatsoever.

I wouldn't write this City team off just yet. They have more than enough abiklity within them to turn this game around, and they often play better in the second half.
Peps side have a horrendous record when conceding first, theyre as good as done imo.
Theres not enough tbrough the middle from them anymore, also Rodri is a clear downgrade from Fernandinho, he doesnt offer much protection for the CBs.

prateik

You need to look again
So on what basis are these lines drawn ? I mean it's not even parallel to the grass lines.
Its not parallel with the box ?
You guys are going to see a lot more of these going forward with VAR.. The camera being a lot closer to the near side distorts the angles.

That line looks parallel to me.. Its the VAR line.. that isn't drawn by hand..

Just look at that in relation to the two nearest grass lines. Look at the ratios between the 3 lines (VAR and the grass lines) at the near side and far side. That should be same. It looks the same.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That’s 100% handball by Trent based on existing handball rules.
Isn't it a handball by Silva as well though? His team would be benefiting from the ball coming off his arm, the new rules are pretty strict on that aren't they?

El B

For all the shit that Liverpool's midfield get, they are more than holding their own against City's supposedly amazing midfield.

Wijnaldum and Fabinho are bloody great players.
Yeah, never understood the grief they get on here. Both would walk into this Utd side.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I don't think they've been the better team tbh. You've defended well and looked like scoring everytime you go forward.

Gary Neville was correct in saying City should have probably gone back 3 for this one, or at the very least played Cancelo at left back.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Salah was offside and City were denied a stonewall penalty which should not be the case with the implementation VAR.

I was going to say lucky Liverpool again but I'm starting to think it's something more. There have been too many beneficial decisions for Liverpool over the last year or so to shrug off as luck.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
At this point I don't even know if you could draw any conclusions from a for/against table anyway.

I mean, the fact that they dissected Sheffield United's goal for five minutes yesterday to prove that the attacker's toe was offside with all the dotted lines and shit and then today didn't even stop the restart of the play to look closer at this one just indicates the dodginess of the entire system as to what gets checked and what doesn't.
I haven’t seen the Sheffield incident you mention.

Irritating how there’s not a consistent VAR usage though. Agreed.

It's a penalty but there have been other examples of that sort of thing not given, a clearer one wasn't given in our favour if I remember right.

Aguero could have poked the ball to unmarked Sterling if he didn't start appealing for a pen.

Liverpool's name is on it in any event, everything seems to fall their way at the minute (even for example City having an injury crisis at the back when they come to play each other), difficult to see when it's gonna end.

Sara125

Sorry to be that girl but you all keep saying it’s not perpendicular when you mean parallel. Perpendicular lines are lines that meet at a right angle...

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Been an excellent game of football from both sides so far.

Not that you'd know it from this thread with all the weeping into the keyboard about two correct decisions. Just watch the game ffs.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
The handball is a clear and obvious error though. It's even more daft the PL are saying that his arm was in a natural position.. when it's literally miles away from his body.

Really baffling. Something similar will be given next week. There's no accountability.
It might be because his arm is at the height it’s at and the limited reaction time? If his arm was extended outward at shoulder height it would’ve looked like he was deliberately using his arm more than it did in the actual incident.

I was expecting VAR to pull it back though.