Premier League Gameweek 20 (26th - 28th December 2017) - Boxing Day

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ours do track back. Main difference is when attacking City's players are a lot further up the pitch and have better movement so even if they are marked, they have an outlet to pass to (especially with the quality of their FBs). We lack in that regard so our players end up going against 3-4 players with nobody in a decent position to pass to.
Yeah. Plus our fullbacks when playing in a back 4 don't usually attack too much. Or just the one attacks while the winger goes inside but still leaves it with 1 wide player up against their fullback and winger helping out. Pushing the wingers high up and keeping them wide helps loads for spreading the pitch and giving the midfielders more space to work with, but also isolates the wingers. Not mourinhos style really.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
High press and hey ho, City, just like other teams make mistakes.

Constantly sitting off them and they'll kill you. Wish every team would realise this.

#ArmchairPundit.

Ban

Would have assumed it's just a part of their game. I think with City the difference is their far superior movement. Often when our wingers win it back they are offered feck all outlets.
Exactly. Tracking back isn't the problem per se.

Irrational.

Another dominant City victory with a narrow score margin. They will slip up, but sadly they have scraped together too many 3 points which could just as easily have been 1.

J_XO

I find city very boring to watch for the most part. It's like watching van gaal football just with superior players.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It's a little funny how Newcastle are play8ng much better football while chasing this then we do when chasing late deficits. We just good it and look clueless for the most part.
Funny but sad
Yeah, brilliant effort from Newcastle. Really looked like they gave a shit in that final 3 minutes...

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
0-1 seemed like an entirely unlikely result. First because City looked rampant, then because City looked wobbly.

AshRK

Jeez that was extremely boring game. Full marks to city for their pragmatism but if someone tells me that city side is the most exciting think happened to PL then sod off. Boring as feck this whole possession /pass/pass crap.

Ban

Yeah. Plus our fullbacks when playing in a back 4 don't usually attack too much. Or just the one attacks while the winger goes inside but still leaves it with 1 wide player up against their fullback and winger helping out. Pushing the wingers high up and keeping them wide helps loads for spreading the pitch and giving the midfielders more space to work with, but also isolates the wingers. Not mourinhos style really.
To be honest Shaw did some overlapping vs Burnley. Was nice to see finally. :D

DRM

Christ, just give them the PL trophy already. I can't stand them breaking all sorts of records. At this stage it's a question of who might be able to draw with them nevermind beating them!

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Jeez that was extremely boring game. Full marks to city for their pragmatism but if someone tells me that city side is the most exciting think happened to PL then sod off. Boring as feck this whole possession /pass/pass crap.
What exactly where Newcastle doing to make the game exciting? City were the protagonists trying to create plays.

It's B Rubble

Its amazing what happens when you show some fight. That bit of skill Atsu did on Sterling was amazing. Hopefully other teams realize that when you actually play hard agaisnt City, they have no answer. Very good end of 2nd half by Newcastle. Thats how you play against these Pepd up players.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
You attack City press high up force them to go long and guess what you win the ball back and you can pressure them but no no lets all sit back lay down like whore and take it.

These managers are so stupid. Press the damn cnuts high up the pitch and you have a chance, every team that does it gets a chance at their goal but no lets sit off because that works

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
High press and hey ho, City, just like other teams make mistakes.

Constantly sitting off them and they'll kill you. Wish every team would realise this.

#ArmchairPundit.
Like Napoli, Tottenham and Shakhtar? Teams have tried everything so far.

High press, mid press and using very low blocks but Manchester City have always responded.

Canagel

Liverpool are the only team who can beat City in my opinion. They are the only team who will attack them and I can see Liverpool causing City problems with their high pressing. If City come out of the game at Anfield unscathed they will stay unbeaten.

el3mel

15 points gab between 1st and 2nd. Feck this shite.

Worse EPL season ever.

minoo-utd

When City is low they face an even shit team it feels like everything is going their way atm, injury free more time when they need goal, but also they are very good side having a real dream season though. I think it will not be over till Guardiola leaves.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Liverpool are the only team who can beat City in my opinion. They are the only team who will attack them and I can see Liverpool causing City problems with their high pressing. If City come out of the game at Anfield unscathed they will stay unbeaten.
Tottenham attacked them...

Liverpool attacked them and we're 1-0 down before the Sadio Mane red card.

Irrational.

We drew 2-2 at weekend in a game where the opposition had 3 shots in the whole game.
Precisely. It may be a controversial statement but the gulf in class between ourselves and City isn't as big as some would have you believe. They have had plenty of razor thin results and last-gasp-kick-of-the-ball victories.

AshRK

What exactly where Newcastle doing to make the game exciting? City were the protagonists trying to create plays.
Yes they were embarrassing. Thing is I have seen better teams in the past who have played much entertaining football irrespective of the opponents and they were much more entertaining than this Pep's side. This Pep side is consistent and have a solid Plan A which they have worked efficiently.

el3mel

And on the other side of the pitch City will be murdering Liverpool in the open spaces ?

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Yes they were embarrassing. Thing is I have seen better teams in the past who have played much entertaining football irrespective of the opponents and they were much more entertaining than this Pep's side. This Pep side is consistent and have a solid Plan A which they have worked efficiently.
Better teams in the Premier League or geternally? I'm curious what team was better than Manchester City in the premier league?

This is also taking into account that the premier league was a counter attacking league almost exclusively for its first 12 years then became extremely negative after Rafa Benitez and Jose Mourinho landed on English soil.

Teams now are better defensively and better at being more compact both vertically and horizontally. There is less space for attackers to attack.

Canagel

And on the other side of the pitch City will be murdering Liverpool in the open spaces ?
You need a lot of luck but the reason I give Liverpool a chance is because they will come with the same approach that was giving Man City problems before Mane's red card in the last game. You can't say the same about United for example. We won't beat City with the cowardly tactics we showed a couple of weeks back.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
How to beat city's game in 5 easy steps and how they relate to today's game.

Step 1: Have your own contingent of world class players. Newcastle: The City starting XI cost 2x the purchase cost of Newcastle, so 0/1
Step 2: Have your players intelligent and quick enough to move into the space left when they bring a 2nd or 3rd man to press. Newcastle: Not enough movement, no one showing for ball. 0/2
Step 3: When you do win the ball back, EVERYONE needs to move as a spring in the other direction. Newcastle: Too static/rigid. 0/3
Step 4: Don't concede. Newcastle: Did. 0/4
Step 5: Score Newcastle: Didn't. 0/5

Theonas

Scout
I agree with this. I would add Spurs too though. I think those two have the highest ceiling in the PL even though they are lacking consistency wise. They can reach a level of intensity in their press and speed of passing that is higher than anyone else bar City obviously. I wouldn't go as far as say they will go unbeaten though, if they keep going in the CL, they will inevitably have a bad day if they rest players or come against a team fighting for their life.

Skills

Snitch
If they get 100 points but don't go unbeaten will they get the gold premier league trophy the invincibles got?

el3mel

You need a lot of luck but the reason I give Liverpool a chance is because they will come with the same approach that was giving Man City problems before Mane's red card in the last game. You can't say the same about United for example. We won't beat City with the cowardly tactics we showed a couple of weeks back.
City was defeating Liverpool before the red card anyway, because City utilized spaces present in their defense due to their strategy. Tottenham also tried to attack them and ended up getting murdered in the open spaces. They're not just a possession based team as they have enough pace up front to take benefit of any spaces in the opposition defenses.