Premier League Gameweek 20 (26th - 28th December 2017) - Boxing Day

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
It's an obnoxious complaint to hear from pep, sky and some (not all) city fans given the embarrassment of riches they have.

Would I have rather lost 0-8 but "at least we had a go"? Would I feck. We're struggling and GD may actually matter at the end. How devastating from a player morale perspective would a drubbing like that have been?

Keeping it tight against a squad worth twice what our club is (!!) and trying to nick something is correct. It's not pretty but it's correct.
Correct answer. Pep's so much of a purist when it comes to possession and attacking football that he ends up disliking teams simply because they can't produce the same stuff. He's a bit of an arse in that respect. I thought Newcastle were terrible in the first thirty minutes, and actually made a bit of a game of it in the last ten minutes of each half when they weren't so sheepish, but you've got Swansea and Brighton at home coming up. I'm sure Rafa would rather take the hit against us and put 100% into games you stand a better chance of winning. It might not work, and you might lose both games anyway, but you can't fault Rafa for at least attempting to be shrewd.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
High press and hey ho, City, just like other teams make mistakes.

Constantly sitting off them and they'll kill you. Wish every team would realise this.

#ArmchairPundit.
You are looking well there in your armchair.

Canagel

Arsenal played last Friday and now they're playing Thursday? That's basically a week rest. How is it fair when everyone else had to play twice in 3 days?

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Palace couldn’t score for two months at the start of the season, now they’re unbeaten in eight.

People pissing their pants about City should take note that football is strange like that and things can change very quickly.

Walters_19_MuFc

Like how Palace are playing two uptop, with Zaha drifting into the left channel, whilst Benteke is more the central figure.

That's how I'd like to see us playing with Martial and Lukaku uptop.

Walters_19_MuFc

Palace couldn’t score for two months at the start of the season, now they’re unbeaten in eight.

People pissing their pants about City should take note that football is strange like that and things can change very quickly.
Yep. Add Everton to that too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How crap have Arsenal been this season, that even if they win today, they'd be 8 points off us?! Even though we threw away 4 points over the last 2 games!

Rajma

I don't get why these teams sit back this much at home, they just don't have enough quality and mental strength to sustain so much pressure for prolong periods, it's just waiting for inevitable.

RooneyLegend

Arsenal are beautiful on the ball but really poor off it. Its the big difference between Wenger's outdated tactics and modern ones. Must say Palace are looking horrible out here.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Chambers with a tactical foul

The end is nigh! Somebody hold me, i'm scared

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
How crap have Arsenal been this season, that even if they win today, they'd be 8 points off us?! Even though we threw away 4 points over the last 2 games!
6 points*

I think its decent. Jose has been crying about how he needs money to surpass another club; considering how much he's spent compared to us he deserves a sack if we, a club with a garbage manager and a rubbish team, finish anywhere near you lot.

RooneyLegend

I don't get why these teams sit back this much at home, they just don't have enough quality and mental strength to sustain so much pressure for prolong periods, it's just waiting for inevitable.
Its staggering that nothing in their planning involves testing the opposition on the ball. I mean, doesn't mean you have to press 90 mins like city so but at least press the opposition when the keeper has the ball.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No united team in that cycle was as dominant. City are scoring more, having more of the ball, playing in the opposition half and creating more chances and winning more games. In terms of dominance no premier league team has ever approached this leve of dominance in every measurable metric.

The league was essentially a counter attacking league and the team with the best counter attacking players won.

The spaces on that era was so much larger on averge. The compactness players have to deal with today is mich higher which is why automatisms have to be used.

In terms of greatness I agree. This Manchester City team needs to win important trophies to even be put in the discussion. That Manchester United team for me are the greatest premier league side.
They're certainly smashing the league to pieces right now, and will clearly win it with months to spare.
However, they could still find they go the way of the "Invincibles" and not translate that to the big cups.

It always feels slightly hollow when Arsenal sing about that, as while it was a seeming one off, they didn't even win a double, that other teams have.

Rajma

Arsenal are beautiful on the ball but really poor off it. Its the big difference between Wenger's outdated tactics and modern ones. Must say Palace are looking horrible out here.
They are still miles better than us in that department but I guess it says more about our state.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Spot on.

Off-the ball is the reason we are punished. There are many games where we have 70+% possession but still lose because of stupidity off-the ball.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
They are still miles better than us in that department but I guess it says more about our state.
Your defence is much better than ours. Our defense...its an insult to call it a defense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
6 points*

I think its decent. Jose has been crying about how he needs money to surpass another club; considering how much he's spent compared to us he deserves a sack if we, a club with a garbage manager and a rubbish team, finish anywhere near you lot.
Ahem dam app hadn't updated for the goal!

And while not quite that vociferous , as I know you guys have a strange hatred of a guy who has never really been your rival, it would be a shocker if we didn't finish higher with the state of your club right now.
However, you do have a 10 game winning run in you, just when everyone's completely written you off!

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Ahem dam app hadn't updated for the goal!

And while not quite that vociferous , as I know you guys have a strange hatred of a guy who has never really been your rival, it would be a shocker if we didn't finish higher with the state of your club right now.
However, you do have a 10 game winning run in you, just when everyone's completely written you off!
I just never liked Jose, he's a top top manager but I just don't like his style or attitude. I didn't like SAF either but I have tremendous respect for him and I find it sad he is not around in the PL today. He would make sure City never dominate the league. And its a shame he did not have more CL titles to his name, there is noone greater than him, not Pep nor Jose.

As for this year I don't think we will finish anywhere near you, I am just very disillusioned with Wenger and our players which are simply not good enough.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't why Palace are sitting behind, our defending is shambles. If they put balls in the box we will concede.

RooneyLegend

Spot on.

Off-the ball is the reason we are punished. There are many games where we have 70+% possession but still lose because of stupidity off-the ball.
Out of interest when was the last time you guys conceded less than 30 goals in a league campaign, pretty sure its not in this decade.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just never liked Jose, he's a top top manager but I just don't like his style or attitude. I didn't like SAF either but I have tremendous respect for him and I find it sad he is not around in the PL today. He would make sure City never dominate the league. And its a shame he did not have more CL titles to his name, there is noone greater than him, not Pep nor Jose.

As for this year I don't think we will finish anywhere near you, I am just very disillusioned with Wenger and our players which are simply not good enough.
Letting the two star men both run their contracts down together is incredible, but you know that. I still wonder if you might find enough money to keep Ozil, as he strikes me as a guy who might not fancy the pressure of having to make a huge impact at us or in Spain again. Sanchez, everyone knows where he's going!
How you go forward in the summer, with Wenger presumably still around for at least one more year, but potentially without both star men has to be a worry. How much it'll cost to replace those two anywhere near the same level!

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Out of interest when was the last time you guys conceded less than 30 goals in a league campaign, pretty sure its not in this decade.
I am not sure but I doubt its in the last few years, a sad statistic on its own. Lets be honest, Kos, Monreal are not good enough. Cech is way past it, do you even remember any performance from him? Even Bellerin is terrible defensively.

Our team is average front to back. The next manager will have a right mess sorting this out.

AshRK

6 points*

By saying this you are admitting that Arsenal is no longer a top club.