Preseason Tour Game 6: Bayern v Man Utd (Friendly, Sunday 05 August 19:15 BST)

Litch

There is absolutely no reason to give the ball away so easy. I know we are missing players but the DNA of this team is so fecking wrong. It's like this bloody teams not being coached.....

Canagel

Is another CB what we need on this showing? Bailly and Lindelof are fine. It's the wide areas that need addressing. Fullbacks and RW.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's completely irrelevant what players are brought in if we can't even string 3 passes together.

Horrific 1st half.

cyberman

Looking forward to hearing what the excuses will be when those players return and we still play boring defensive football.

Hint: The players aren't the problem
At least wait until then, what's the point of crying now?

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
I have got to admit..From what I have seen, my aspirations for this season have evaporated completely. We can't pass the ball, and we don't offer much of an attacking threat. Sloppy passing, losing the ball constantly, a fear of shooting but I don't know if that's what they are instructed, someone have a fecking shot for christ's sake! It's all just so predictable, we are a hard to team to beat and that's all we have to offer.

Stubble

If a team press us we don't seem to have a clue what to do, can't string 3 passes together which is concerning.
Long hoofs up from DeGea to nobody giving the ball straight back to them when they are already dominating possession - just don't get that tactic !
We really are set up for defending and hoping for that counter-attack chance.
This is more like a defensive drill for us.. Keep them out and nick one second half and Jose will be a happy man no doubt..

Dinghy

It's easy being a CB when the whole team is constantly behind the ball.

MadMike

What drives me nuts is that not in any of the games we played, did we apply a press for like 5 or 10 mins. Apart from Mata the rest of the team should be athletic enough for it. Herrera, Fred, Perreira in midfield. Sanchez and Rashford up front. Even the CBs are young and athletic. Just press high up the pitch for 10 mins see if we can force some instead of sitting so deep. Just don't get it.

Hoof the ball

Everyone more or less concedes that when a team presses high against you that it makes playing out from the back hard. Conceding possession and dropping deep effectively creates that very situation since it shoves most of your team in your own half and invites most of the other team to push right up against them.
Inviting a high press situation when you don't have anything close to an effective counter-attack, is suicide.

It is not a matter of coincidence that we're not getting more than a few shots at goal per game.

We're coached to drop deep, invite the high press. We create the very situation that makes passing out of defence difficult in the first place. Better passing CB's isn't the answer. Better team tactics are.

Minimalist

Bit crap viewing.

Again the result is obviously unimportant but the lack of chances we've created in this pre-season, coming off a season of looking pretty similar to this, isn't very encouraging heading into the new season.

Utdstar01

Why are all our defenders incapable of passing the ball out of our box to set up a counter?

El Jefe

At what point will it become obvious to people that no matter how many better players we add to the squad the style of play will always be the problem.

Penny for Mckenna and Carrick's true thoughts on how we play.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Oh well, atleast we got to see our players on the ball whilst being bored to death under LvG..

Thank God it’s only pre-season, though I was hoping to see some sort of attacking patterns before the season started

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Why do we bypass our own midfield so much?
I can't remember any of our midfield 3 getting involved in building up the play.

ash_86

Wish Dalot was ready. It's one of the areas of pitch we could use some help.

Mainoldo

Looks like a defensive drill.

Assuming of course that those people said that a new CB was our only priority
True yet again we need 5 players to replace the 5 players we brought in to play the same way the other 5 players brought in played. It’s like Deytona.

saivet

Think Andreas did well that half. Happy enough with the back 5 that half too.

cyberman

I'm not crying. What's the point in waiting? We all know how it's going to be, no point lying to ourselves.
There's also no point in using any excuse to tell us the sky is falling in.
What do you get out of it? What does this prove?
Let's wait until the season actually starts ffs.

goin4glory

Everyone more or less concedes that when a team presses high against you that it makes playing out from the back hard. Conceding possession and dropping deep effectively creates that very situation since it shoves most of your team in your own half and invites most of the other team to push right up against them.
Inviting a high press situation when you don't have anything close to an effective counter-attack, is suicide.

It is not a matter of coincidence that we're not getting more than a few shots at goal per game.

We're coached to drop deep, invite the high press. We create the very situation that makes passing out of defence difficult in the first place. Better passing CB's isn't the answer. Better team tactics are.
The inability to play vs a press is exactly why Mourinho wants ball playing cb's, because we can't build from the back. Yet half of the posters here think it'll be solved with a right winger.

svastian99

This game is about how well we can take the pressure and defend.
Clearly with Sanchez and Mata in more defensive positions we can not expect big counterattacks.
Fred is doing a decent game - Bailly and Lindelof stand out

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Have to presume the gameplan is: keep it tight, try to limit their chances, give them the ball so we don't make any mistakes. Jose looking for discipline, conservatism and no risks.

In a preseason friendly.

Joyous stuff.

GM K

We are missing Pogba, Lingard, Martial and Lukaku. That is more or less all our important attacking players bar Sanchez. No wonder we are not threatening Bayern.
This is a pretty significant observation.

Canagel

Why do we bypass our own midfield so much?
I can't remember any of our midfield 3 getting involved in building up the play.
Because Mourinho instructs the GK and defence to hoof the ball long. No first station passes.

Litch

This isn't about personnel, it's our pattern of play. It's like we are planning in CL and would be happy with a draw....