Prince Philip Dead | Ceremonial Funeral to take place on Saturday 17th April | Prince Andrew is NOT a pedophile

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Where's all the white knights that were complaining about jokes in this thread earlier?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Weird people taking joy in death.
We are just taking into account things that happened before the news of his death.

Weird you can’t realize this. You seem to be very pro ‘taking into account what happened before something’ when making a determination on the event.

Irwin99

When Liz goes get ready for no football for a month.
Yeah i remember when it happened with Di. The players wouldn't be in the right frame of mind, too distraught etc

Is there any official reason why he gets two minutes other than being a royal? Genuine question, is it a protocol? We get one minutes silence for victims of terrorist attacks and legends of the game of football so ...it seems weird.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah i remember when it happened with Di. The players wouldn't be in the right frame of mind, too distraught etc

Is there any official reason why he gets two minutes other than being a royal? Genuine question, is it a protocol? We get one minutes silence for victims of terrorist attacks and legends of the game of football so ...it seems weird.
Isn't it just because of the reason you alluded to? These people are our betters.

For some insane reason my missus bought the S*n yesterday (don't worry she's already in the cage being educated). The headline was "We're weeping with you, Ma'am." Fecking what?! Not just the North Korean style weeping comment but also the use of Ma'am to once again highlight that the Royal family should always be treated as some kind of quasi diety construct. Helps remind the proles of their place, innit.

Irwin99

Isn't it just because of the reason you alluded to? These people are our betters.

For some insane reason my missus bought the S*n yesterday (don't worry she's already in the cage being educated). The headline was "We're weeping with you, Ma'am." Fecking what?! Not just the North Korean style weeping comment but also the use of Ma'am to once again highlight that the Royal family should always be treated as some kind of quasi diety construct. Helps remind the proles of their place, innit.
It's actually pretty revolting if you think about it:

Terrorist victims often numbering in tens/hundreds = one minute silence
Extremely wealthy, privileged old dude who lives to 99 years = two minutes silence

Thought this was meant to be an age of moving towards equality?

Moby

Dick
Weird people taking joy in death.
It's a fecking 99 year old guy who has died. Literally the only thing that could have happened to him, happened. What are the mourners exactly even sad about? He's literally lived as long a life as anyone ever could in as great living conditions as humanly possible.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Wheel the nonce out to test the waters at a sympathetic time

checks twitter; not forgotten

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Wheel the nonce out to test the waters at a sympathetic time

checks twitter; not forgotten

Very cynical. Dip a toe in the water, should be okay, covered by the death of his old man.

Nah, feck off you dick.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's a fecking 99 year old guy who has died. Literally the only thing that could have happened to him, happened. What are the mourners exactly even sad about? He's literally lived as long a life as anyone ever could in as great living conditions as humanly possible.
:lol:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't really care for prince phillip or the news regarding it. I mostly ignore it but I really don't understand people who go out of their way to talk crap about someone dead or someone in general.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The Royal family are divisive. It is interesting to read through and see how stark the contrast is between the two sides. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground, you’re either extremely pro royal or extremely anti royal.

Prince Philip was potentially the most divisive figure of the lot of them. A lot is written about him, some of it true, a lot of it false, nearly all of it misunderstood. The media is less interested in fairness or truth, more interested in clicks, views or pushing a narrative that suits them. I knew Philip personally and he was never happier than when he was giving back. His charity, his senses of right and wrong and his integrity shone through. Whenever the topic of the Duke arises, I always mention the same interactions I had with him.

I attended many events with him. He was always the first to dig deep in to his pockets and part with his hard earned cash when the collection plate was passed around the attending klan members. I have lost track of the number of hate campaigns he practically single handedly funded. He spent the majority of the rest of his spare time patrolling the Channel in his schooner, his watchful gaze ensuring “any and all of those kinds of buggers” were kept out
of this green and pleasant land.

There were countless conferences where he would have all the other ukip members doubled over with his spot on portrayals of a whole host of ethnicities. Their customs and accents expertly dissected by his rapier wit.

Even as the years started to take their toll to and age ever a barrier, he thought nothing of putting his life on the line to defend the country he deeply loved. Yes, he may have crashed his car. Few know however that the crash was completely deliberate. He swerved at the car as he saw the driver looked “possibly some kind of oriental, and potentially in the country illegally” his swift actions ensured a police presence was soon at the scene and if the driver did in fact turn out to be here illegally, they would have been deported.

As with anyone, blue blooded or otherwise, there were some imperfections. He would often lash out at the corgis when the Queen’s back was turned. This however was only because they liked to shit in the same areas of the Royal gardens as he did. RIP Phil.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Nothing wrong with what you say here, except that those notions don't go together with jokes that are clearly ill spirited (not sure if you made them, just generally speaking).

You wouldn't celebrate your dad dying while telling your mother your heart goes out to her. I don't mind people joking about his death, it's perfectly fine to loathe the monarchy as far as I'm concerned, but you can't really have it both ways.
From myself the only joke I made was " Looking at that list of his comments it’s fair to say he was a top, top talent. I fear for the future of the royal family with the milquetoast likes of William and Harry", so not funny but not really ill spirited either (I know you were speaking in general terms though).

I'm not sure I fully agree with the last part. I do get the gist of what you're saying, but while I have no personal experience to draw on myself, I have known a couple who have hated a family member and were glad when they died, but still felt sympathy for others in the family who had positive relationships with the deceased. I guess hypothetically if I knew a murderer I might be glad that they died, while simultaneously feeling sorry his children. Maybe, I don't know. I'll have to think about your last sentence.

I don't really care for prince phillip or the news regarding it. I mostly ignore it but I really don't understand people who go out of their way to talk crap about someone dead or someone in general.
Why wouldn't you just because they died? If someone was of the opinion that person A is a bad person when they were alive, why would they then do a 180 on their opinions just because they passed away? Seems fake and disingenuous.

I'm not sure what you mean by the talk crap about someone in general part, I've seen you talk crap about people on here all the time. Everyone talks crap about somebody, it's human nature.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
From myself the only joke I made was " Looking at that list of his comments it’s fair to say he was a top, top talent. I fear for the future of the royal family with the milquetoast likes of William and Harry", so not funny but not really ill spirited either (I know you were speaking in general terms though).

I'm not sure I fully agree with the last part. I do get the gist of what you're saying, but while I have no personal experience to draw on myself, I have known a couple who have hated a family member and were glad when they died, but still felt sympathy for others in the family who had positive relationships with the deceased. I guess hypothetically if I knew a murderer I might be glad that they died, while simultaneously feeling sorry his children. Maybe, I don't know. I'll have to think about your last sentence.

Why wouldn't you just because they died? If someone was of the opinion that person A is a bad person when they were alive, why would they then do a 180 on their opinions just because they passed away? Seems fake and disingenuous.

I'm not sure what you mean by the talk crap about someone in general part, I've seen you talk crap about people on here all the time. Everyone talks crap about somebody, it's human nature.
Exactly that, because they died. A living person has the choice to change a dead person is dead and final.

Also, dead person may have friends and family who are nothing like them but see the comments online. The dead person themselves don't see any of the the comments so I find it extra silly.

In phillips case I genuinely don't care and couldnt imagine having energy to leave negative comments. The media attention annoys me and I just ignore it

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Exactly that, because they died. A living person has the choice to change a dead person is dead and final.

Also, dead person may have friends and family who are nothing like them but see the comments online. The dead person themselves don't see any of the the comments so I find it extra silly.

In phillips case I genuinely don't care and couldnt imagine having energy to leave negative comments. The media attention annoys me and I just ignore it
My heart truly weeps for the royals who read mean comments about their dead Papa on redcafe. Truly does.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

That's an interesting answer and not what I expected. I guess I can see what you're saying, especially regarding the family and friends.
I think with someone like Prince Phillip, he's been lionised in the media, and every single British newspaper and broadcaster have portrayed him in an almost heroic light. Many of his comments have been normalised or brushed off by the media (The sun describing him asking Aboriginal businessmen if they still chucked spears at each other as his third funniest comment etc), that in my eyes the comments detailing the more nefarious parts of his character are actually important. Humour is a good vehicle for this imo, especially when it takes a satirical slant. So in this sense I think that the jokes or scornful comments aren't intended for Phillip to read and reflect on, but to provide a counterbalance to the prevailing media narrative being espoused that he was a saint like figure and that Britain is mourning etc.

The friends and family point is tricky. When someone has recently died those close to him will be particularly sensitive to scornful or irreverential comments, but I think everyone is entitled to give their honest opinions, even if doing so at certain times could make them a dick. If Boris Johnson died tomorrow and I was asked about him as a prime minister, I probably wouldn't hesitate to share my honest thoughts even at the risk that one of his children might come across my response and upset them.

I guess this is one of those things that people will have very different stances on, and I do understand why some would find the way I see things disrespectful. And I do applaud those who would refrain from certain actions to avoid hurting someone's loved ones, even if I disagree with that approach..

vidic blood & sand

Amazing stuff!

Their god has died.
Wonder who they'll choose to replace him with?

Last edited:

dal

I found him quite a character, regardless of being a monarch or not, not really his fault where he was born.

He made a lot of comments which you really wouldn’t if you’re a royal.

I remember he went to a factory and saw dodgy electrics and said hmm an Indian must have wired that surely.

I also saw a royal get together a year ago and someone said to him that it’s sad to see you’re standing down and he replied with “ well I can’t stand up much longer”.

RIP x

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I found him quite a character, regardless of being a monarch or not, not really his fault where he was born.

I remember he went to a factory and saw dodgy electrics and said hmm an Indian must have wired that surely.

I also saw a royal get together a year ago and someone said to him that it’s sad to see you’re standing down and he replied with “ well I can’t stand up much longer”.

RIP x
That's a pretty out of line comment for a public figure who's meant to set an example.

Conor

RIP x
Truly hilarious stuff.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The nation is in a period of national mourning...absolute state of that!

stevoc

The Royal family are divisive. It is interesting to read through and see how stark the contrast is between the two sides. There doesn’t seem to be much middle ground, you’re either extremely pro royal or extremely anti royal.

Prince Philip was potentially the most divisive figure of the lot of them. A lot is written about him, some of it true, a lot of it false, nearly all of it misunderstood. The media is less interested in fairness or truth, more interested in clicks, views or pushing a narrative that suits them. I knew Philip personally and he was never happier than when he was giving back. His charity, his senses of right and wrong and his integrity shone through. Whenever the topic of the Duke arises, I always mention the same interactions I had with him.

I attended many events with him. He was always the first to dig deep in to his pockets and part with his hard earned cash when the collection plate was passed around the attending klan members. I have lost track of the number of hate campaigns he practically single handedly funded. He spent the majority of the rest of his spare time patrolling the Channel in his schooner, his watchful gaze ensuring “any and all of those kinds of buggers” were kept out
of this green and pleasant land.

There were countless conferences where he would have all the other ukip members doubled over with his spot on portrayals of a whole host of ethnicities. Their customs and accents expertly dissected by his rapier wit.

Even as the years started to take their toll to and age ever a barrier, he thought nothing of putting his life on the line to defend the country he deeply loved. Yes, he may have crashed his car. Few know however that the crash was completely deliberate. He swerved at the car as he saw the driver looked “possibly some kind of oriental, and potentially in the country illegally” his swift actions ensured a police presence was soon at the scene and if the driver did in fact turn out to be here illegally, they would have been deported.

As with anyone, blue blooded or otherwise, there were some imperfections. He would often lash out at the corgis when the Queen’s back was turned. This however was only because they liked to shit in the same areas of the Royal gardens as he did. RIP Phil.

You'd think Prince Phil would have been ok with foreigners moving to the UK. With him being a foreigner himself.

dal

That's a pretty out of line comment for a public figure who's meant to set an example.
I know that probably is to be honest but I remember at the time everyone I knew laughed and we were like yep we love to take shortcuts but I found it was in jest personally but yes I do understand he probably shouldn’t say these things.

The worst was in the 80’s when he said to a British backpacker in china stay here long enough and you’ll get slitty Eyes which was unbelievable :wenger:.

Zen86

A royal died and people who knew him are saying nice things in the news. Shock horror. The guy said some daft things but he was hardly Nick Griffin.

dal

We are a batshit crazy country

WTF.

Millionaires boys club. They all get on with each other across all parties behind the scenes. Slime balls with zero morals.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This one is quite an inspirational anecdote.

And there were people in this thread defending him saying he did loads of good things - all of which were part of his public duties, as was this.