Problems with this forum

The Neviller

lucky for us there are multiple united forums to cater to all of our moods.

fred and RI for when you don't feel like being under the heavy-handed moderation of this place.

But this place is better than those two for talking about non-united football itself.
What makes it so heavy handed? I've had my share of infractions and stuff, mostly from one mod who I thought was being harsh, but when I actually look at it, they were probably fair enough and they're just trying to keep order doing a job that they give up their spare time for.

MJJ

When they do the threads get deleted and/or the creator gets sent abusive pms from mods.

I don't want to have to wade through 9 pages on the latest zonal marking blog any time I want to read/discuss a new point regarding new information on relevant and recent events in football.

A lot of the best posters are getting driven away, and I was actually glad to see Geebs back. I hope it means the standards come back up on here as they really took a nose dive while he was gone.

Anyway, I can see most people either don't agree or don't care, but I find myself finding less and less interesting topics and discussions on here since 90% of all threads are circular argument involving mainly the same 4-5 posters.

When I first came on here (about 8 years ago as a lurker, signing up here more recently), I was fascinated by pretty much every single thread, but now I won't even bother opening most of the threads I see as it is inevitable they will be full of diagrams of peoples average positions and people arguing the toss based on these sorts of things.

In fact, theres maybe 15 peoples posts I even bother reading any more, most of the rest I just look at the username and skim over.

Most non United fans see this place as the United equivalent of RAWK nowadays, I don't think much more needs saying.

Well anyway, I don't particularly want to be banned, but I can see that that is how this is going so if I am see you all around I guess.
I tend to agree with this, nowadays I dont even go into half the threads(namely the valencia,nani and degea thread) as I know what the discussion is going to be beforehand and I cant be bothered that much. The problem seems to be that most posters are afraid to start new threads and would rather just post it in the old one.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I still enjoy the cafe a lot. You can tell it had a different dynamic in the past by reading old threads, but a lot of it has probably more to do with different demographics in the people that tend to sign up and join forums. The internet changes at an amazing speed, I remember being quite fond of facebook in the past. I'm not sure if it's fair to assume it has anything to do with mods or that they could do a lot to change it.

It's only natural that older users get bored and leave, for some periods, or definitely. I'm not seeing myself here ten years from now, I surely hope my routines have shifted to different types of interests.

Can't complain about most new users though. There's still a fairly interesting level of discussion in many subjects. I agree the wit has been somewhat diluted, but this is still one of the most pleasant and funny places I spend my time on the internet.

So all these threads you deleted were because mods sent you abusive PMs? I don't believe that for a second.

What does that even mean? What was the reputation on here before amongst non-United fans?
The reason for deletion on three of those threads does suggest someone accused him of something. Who, why and how I have no idea.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

I have to disagree with the OP. The Caf is in much better shape than when it first started way back in 1998 or 99. Back then there it was flooded with WUMs and crap posters. A little admin policing has to be done in order to reduce redundant threads and posts & whatever, and I don't think the admins are being paid to do something that takes time and effort. I suppose you're unhappy with some things here but hey, it doesn't cost any money to join Caf and anyone is free to come and go

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I deleted Sama's Zaha thread in the United forum for two reasons.

Although imminent, Zaha had not yet signed for the club, and more importantly the main reason for it's deletion was due to it becoming a joke of a thread - which was no fault of Samabachan. We're asked to keep United for serious debate, although wit is welcome (see Brwnd's post) general forum style wumming is not.

Cevno

He may have previous beef, but thought that deletion of the thread was fair enough. We already had one thread in the transfer forum and nothing had been announced officially.

Even after it was, i first posted the link in the transfer thread because the medical wasn't done.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
I deleted Sama's Zaha thread in the United forum for two reasons.

Although imminent, Zaha had not yet signed for the club, and more importantly the main reason for it's deletion was due to it becoming a joke of a thread - which was no fault of Samabachan. We're asked to keep United for serious debate, although wit is welcome (see Brwnd's post) general forum style wumming is not.
There's a big difference between having a sense of humour about things and wumming. I think that the mods don't seem to see it this way, for whatever reason, and it makes the United forum boring in my opinion.

And Brwned, I don't seen the benefit of you showing those deleted threads in here. What is it achieving? I won't be posting any private pm conversations in here and I don't see why that is different.

And for the record, I deleted most of them after receiving a pm from a mod who said it was attention whoring to start new threads. Fair enough, then I'll do my part too by deleting those threads if they don't fit in with the general tone the powers that be wish for. I just think it's a shame as I like to think that my posting style is a little different and injects a little fun into what is becoming an ever more dull and staid format. Just my opinion and I can see not everyone agrees, but I'm certainly not the only one who thinks it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sam, nothing wrong with starting new threads, posters just need to show some cool on sense.

Eg. Threads about players who aren't officially united players don't belong in the unted forum till its official. Too many slips between cup and mouth..

Secondly if someone starts a thread "united analysis from today's match", it's pointless starting a new thread "my thoughts on today's match". Theres nothing more annoying IMHO than having to respond with your point in multiple threads.

However if it's a different topic other tan discussing the match, for example "valencias recent form" that's fine to create a new thread as its only referencing the recent match but talking in general

I hope that helps clarify

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don't like the idea of more threads at all, and I'm not going againt Sam or being anal, but the best thing about this site is you can engage 3 or 4 people in conversations on something similar in the same thread, then they all merge and come together and it can become quite interesting. Having a thread on Zaha moving to Arsenal, then to Manchester United, then one for what he wears on Thursday,... I just think there should be a Zaha thread, new threads shouldn't be disparaged I agree, but nor should the pointless repitition of opening threads for the sake of it when there is nothing new to discuss...

togg

I still enjoy the cafe a lot. You can tell it had a different dynamic in the past by reading old threads, but a lot of it has probably more to do with different demographics in the people that tend to sign up and join forums. The internet changes at an amazing speed, I remember being quite fond of facebook in the past. I'm not sure if it's fair to assume it has anything to do with mods or that they could do a lot to change it.

It's only natural that older users get bored and leave, for some periods, or definitely. I'm not seeing myself here ten years from now, I surely hope my routines have shifted to different types of interests.

Can't complain about most new users though. There's still a fairly interesting level of discussion in many subjects. I agree the wit has been somewhat diluted, but this is still one of the most pleasant and funny places I spend my time on the internet.

The reason for deletion on three of those threads does suggest someone accused him of something. Who, why and how I have no idea.
I've been here over ten years and I would agree with that sentiment. Football fans are often the best comedians and some of that "witty banter" has diminished somewhat..but maybe that is bacause football has become too serious for people!!

Other than that I still enjoy the caf, people go through phases of being active and inactive, probably because their time gets taken up with other things in life, or perhaps because they go through a bored stage with the site.

The only thing I've kind of noticed that has changed is that often the threads are just a continual thread of statements rather responsive debate to what has been said. But hey....everyone wants to create the perfect "sound bite"....

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I've been here over ten years and I would agree with that sentiment. Football fans are often the best comedians and some of that "witty banter" has diminished somewhat..but maybe that is bacause football has become too serious for people!!

Other than that I still enjoy the caf, people go through phases of being active and inactive, probably because their time gets taken up with other things in life, or perhaps because they go through a bored stage with the site.

The only thing I've kind of noticed that has changed is that often the threads are just a continual thread of statements rather responsive debate to what has been said. But hey....everyone wants to create the perfect "sound bite"....
I think its more people have to be so careful nowadays as everything seems to be prejudice or racist unfortunately, people seem very eager to jump the line and point the finger, whereas before it was all very light hearted, people didn't get easily offended as they knew the poster was only having a laugh and meant no offense, so they took it as such...

togg

I think its more people have to be so careful nowadays as everything seems to be prejudice or racist unfortunately, people seem very eager to jump the line and point the finger, whereas before it was all very light hearted, people didn't get easily offended as they knew the poster was only having a laugh and meant no offense, so they took it as such...
..yes that is probably right. And that has permeated through society as a whole really...

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Football fans are often the best comedians and some of that "witty banter" has diminished somewhat..but maybe that is bacause football has become too serious for people!!
Totally, have a pop at the mods by all means, but there is a breed of self important uptight anally retentive idiots posting these day that suck the joy out of football discussion. Football fans are different than 20 years ago so of course any forum will record that change.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
And Brwned, I don't seen the benefit of you showing those deleted threads in here. What is it achieving?
Just making the simple point that if you're deleting your own threads so frequently then perhaps it's not so outrageous that a mod deletes one of your threads? You've deleted over half of your last 25 threads. Why make an issue about a mod deleting just one?

samabachan

I don't like the idea of more threads at all, and I'm not going againt Sam or being anal, but the best thing about this site is you can engage 3 or 4 people in conversations on something similar in the same thread, then they all merge and come together and it can become quite interesting. Having a thread on Zaha moving to Arsenal, then to Manchester United, then one for what he wears on Thursday,... I just think there should be a Zaha thread, new threads shouldn't be disparaged I agree, but nor should the pointless repitition of opening threads for the sake of it when there is nothing new to discuss...
Fair enough, but that's exactly what I hate. For example, if de Gea nicks a Krispy Kreme from Tesco I don't want to have to wade through 6 pages of kietotheworld and im always right having a debate on exactly how far an in which situations a keeper should be punching the ball. I want to discuss it in a david de gea mugs off krispy kreme/tesco thread. I don't see why we can't have both - one general thread which just meanders on and on, and a different one each time there is a new, relevant issue.

samabachan

Just making the simple point that if you're deleting your own threads so frequently then perhaps it's not so outrageous that a mod deletes one of your threads? You've deleted over half of your last 25 threads. Why make an issue about a mod deleting just one?
I deleted all of them after the last time I had a thread deleted and got told to cut it out :s

togg

Fair enough, but that's exactly what I hate. For example, if de Gea nicks a Krispy Kreme from Tesco I don't want to have to wade through 6 pages of kietotheworld and im always right having a debate on exactly how far an in which situations a keeper should be punching the ball. I want to discuss it in a david de gea mugs off krispy kreme/tesco thread. I don't see why we can't have both - one general thread which just meanders on and on, and a different one each time there is a new, relevant issue.
yeah I'd agree with that, coz one is about football, the other is just funny and a stable for comedy...

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
..yes that is probably right. And that has permeated through society as a whole really...
Unfortunately I couldn't agree more, I think society and people are too precious and uptight, I love the saying 'People know their wrongs better than their rights' these days... Sad.

Ah, see now you don't disagree, the krispy kreme action would deserve a new thread, but the transfer of Zaha, if he is linked with 6 clubs, should be under one thread as its all regarding the transfers, but something as different as that definitely! So i definitely agree with you, but 7 threads on 7 different trasnfers is messy, in fact, if it was up to me there would be a Zaha thread with 3 links, one to PERSONAL (personal life) TRANSFER (On transfer rumours/ speculation etc) and then finally one on PERFORMANCE, quite simply what it suggests...

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I want to discuss it in a david de gea mugs off krispy kreme/tesco thread..
Which is why some threads are deleted. This is really about feck all, you deleted more threads than all the mods combined, so shut up and spend a bit longer before you make a thread, and you'll save yourself and the mods some time.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Which is why some threads shouldn't be deleted...... I can see that at this rate it's gonna be another 50 pager here....
What? You create whimsical threads so that is why some threads shouldn't be deleted?

It won't be a 50 pager if you make your point a bit clearer.

If everyone created and deleted threads like you Sam, the forum would be utter chaos. So really you are in no position to sit and pontificate, you don't even know your own mind so how you feel you can decide what's best for tens of thousands of users is hilarious.

The Neviller

Yeah, this place has gone to shit. I once had my cheese, nuts, and pistachio threads all merged into a single tasty treats thread. What a joke. if you want to talk about pistachios you shouldn't have to wade through conversations about peanuts and other assorted treats to do so.

Bloody mods, actively trying to clean the place up. What a fecking liberty.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
The big problem is people try to sound the same. That kind of incestuous behaviour is highly suspicious. Where's the evil mod? Where's the mod who's openly homosexual? Where's the mod that sits at her desk naked and talks about it now and then? Where's the individuality? I reckon it's one person using a proxy and has multiple accounts

samabachan

What? You create whimsical threads so that is why some threads shouldn't be deleted?

It won't be a 50 pager if you make your point a bit clearer.

If everyone created and deleted threads like you Sam, the forum would be utter chaos. So really you are in no position to sit and pontificate, you don't even know your own mind so how you feel you can decide what's best for tens of thousands of users is hilarious.
OK. Here is my point, and I'll try and make it as simple as possible.

There are not enough threads to have healthy discussions. New threads are frowned upon in general, and even if the mods don't feel that this is the case, then plenty of posters do. I don't want to have to sit there for an hour and a half crafting a 1500 word essay with diagrams and 6 or more citations and yet also cross reference this against a backlog of previously created threads just to ensure there isn't already an existing thread with some vague, tenuous link
to the current subject matter.

And also I would like to apologise for my first point about the mods. I stand by my point to some extent but I was annoyed about the forum police at the time and didn't need to be so inflammatory about it. I have nothing against karan and he seems a decent bloke but I've never seen any humour form him, or a relevant and/or interesting opinion which has made me think or gained my interest in any way. And the posting style of mods to a large extent dictates and governs the style of the posters on the forum, especially if mods are going out of their way to delete anything which deviates from the middle of the road.

The caf has one of the largest user databases of probably any football forum online, and yet one thread can stay on the main hub page for a whole day. That is quite frankly just a waste of a brilliant pool of posters.

How many threads I create and/or delete is irrelevant to discussion.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
New threads are frowned upon in general, and even if the mods don't feel that this is the case, then plenty of posters do.
And then there's plenty of posters that would like to see more threads as you can see by some of the posts in here. Just don't worry about what some posters think. If you want to start a new thread, as long as it isn't completely unnecessary (like geebs' example of starting a new thread saying your view on the match when there's already a thread for post match reaction), then do it.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah, this place has gone to shit. I once had my cheese, nuts, and pistachio threads all merged into a single tasty treats thread. What a joke. if you want to talk about pistachios you shouldn't have to wade through conversations about peanuts and other assorted treats to do so.

Bloody mods, actively trying to clean the place up. What a fecking liberty.
:)

Will Absolute

Who the **** is Anthony Valencia?!
You quoted my entire post just to ask that question? :smirk:

After posting, I saw that, for some unknown reason, I had anglicized Val's name. I meant to correct, but .......... I got distracted.

Reading it again I recognize a certain irony in my post - complaining about a scarcity of new threads when I've never started one myself. :lol:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Is the sperm whales adopting a disabled dolphin thing worthy of a new thread?

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
Is the sperm whales adopting a disabled dolphin thing worthy of a new thread?
I nearly started a thread about a dolphin that swims over to a scuba diver and asks* him to cut off some fishing net that is hampering his ability to swim but now I'm so scared of deletion I may never start another thread again

*in dolphin, not in english.