PSG | 2018-19 Club Thread | Season over

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If fit, Verratti can solve 50% of the issues observed tonight.

For the rest, a lot of uncertainties.

Hope this defeat is the welcome to make Tuchel reconsider his views...

Ahsan_6386

Hmm watching them play I feel Mourinho is the perfect manager for this team . He would probably organise the defense much better with Marquinos and Silva and get the midfield in shape . The problem I feel with this team is that Tuchel is trying out a team work game plan with individual responsibilities for all including a method to the attack . Mourinho would probably make them play in a better version of our side . He would most probably leave Neymar to do his thing the way Hazard used to do at Chelsea while letting Mbappe in the open just using his pace to stretch the play while Cavani would play the Lukaku role better than Lukaku .

Also Rabiot isn't that good to be honest . I have been reading so many rave reviews about him . Watched him 3 times granted all big games till now and every time he seemed to be sort of clueless .

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Why did they sell Matuidi and Lo Celso?

They were playing with Marquinhos in midfield ffs.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
PSG fans....does Tuchel actually encourage his attackers to not track back? Or does he want them to and they just don't do it?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Why did they sell Matuidi and Lo Celso?

They were playing with Marquinhos in midfield ffs.
Financial Fair Play.

Lo Celso's move was strange given the fact Motta retired and we didn't recruit a central midfielder

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
What PSG have done with their depth and midfield over the last 2 seasons is just criminal. Choupo-Moting getting into a CL match for them is just pathetic.

el3mel

If Tuchel didn't compete for CL this season, I won't be able to see the hype around him anymore tbh. People tend to overhype any manager who tells his team to attack these days.

The season is long so let's see, even though yeah I'm not expecting much difference.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Financial Fair Play.

Lo Celso's move was strange given the fact Motta retired and we didn't recruit a central midfielder
But you didn’t even receive a fee for Lo Celso yet, this could not have been for FFP.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
But you didn’t even receive a fee for Lo Celso yet, this could not have been for FFP.
It's like the case Guedes, the idea is to play a lot, shine in Spain and sell him at a good price.

the main reason is certainly Tuchel doesn't like his profile

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Everything that's happened this summer is due to FFP one way or another, how else would you explain these bizarre moves? When you spend close to half a billion on two players, the team is going to be affected somewhat.

I'm not judging them this early, especially given that they're now paying for their ridiculous spending last summer. New coach, new system, subpar players coming in, good players leaving, players playing in a completely different role (Marquinhos), and Tuschel's tactics take a while to take effect, and even longer if you have a guy like Neymar who can't be bothered. So we will see, but it's far too early to judge. I don't think they'll do much outside of the usual this season, they need serious reinforcements whenever their FFP issues are behind them.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
3-2 flattered them tonight. I agree that they look like a group of expensive players who don’t know how to play together.

Thiago Silva is a proper CB though.

Johan07

Hmm watching them play I feel Mourinho is the perfect manager for this team . He would probably organise the defense much better with Marquinos and Silva and get the midfield in shape . The problem I feel with this team is that Tuchel is trying out a team work game plan with individual responsibilities for all including a method to the attack . Mourinho would probably make them play in a better version of our side . He would most probably leave Neymar to do his thing the way Hazard used to do at Chelsea while letting Mbappe in the open just using his pace to stretch the play while Cavani would play the Lukaku role better than Lukaku .

Also Rabiot isn't that good to be honest . I have been reading so many rave reviews about him . Watched him 3 times granted all big games till now and every time he seemed to be sort of clueless .
I concur with any idea that puts Neymar on a Mourinho team. That would be hilarious.
Sadly neither of those two would accept it.
Would be superfun though.
EDIT
As long its not United while Mourinho still is around here of course...

Hazza83

Supports
Liverpool
3-2 flattered them tonight. I agree that they look like a group of expensive players who don’t know how to play together.

Thiago Silva is a proper CB though.
Agree. I’m a little concerned about our profligacy in front of goal. We aren’t often making the right decisions in the final 1/3 and a lot of good opportunities are coming to nothing. Hopeful it’s just a lack of sharpness and this improves steadily over the next few games. Salah’s been heavily marked. Needs to realise this and look for other players in more space, but he’s not found his passing range yet.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They should have done everything to keep Matuidi. He’d cover the left side of the pitch and allow Neymar to not track back instead of having the opponent’s rightback always alone

PvsNP

Their heavy investments in Neymar and Mbappe has resulted in a complete neglect of their midfield. There's no way they win the CL when it's that bad.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Everything that's happened this summer is due to FFP one way or another, how else would you explain these bizarre moves? When you spend close to half a billion on two players, the team is going to be affected somewhat.

I'm not judging them this early, especially given that they're now paying for their ridiculous spending last summer. New coach, new system, subpar players coming in, good players leaving, players playing in a completely different role (Marquinhos), and Tuschel's tactics take a while to take effect, and even longer if you have a guy like Neymar who can't be bothered. So we will see, but it's far too early to judge. I don't think they'll do much outside of the usual this season, they need serious reinforcements whenever their FFP issues are behind them.
FFP does not excuse them paying 37 million for Kehrer when they already had 3 great CBs. Heck they could have spent that on a DM.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
FFP does not excuse them paying 37 million for Kehrer when they already had 3 great CBs. Heck they could have spent that on a DM.
He cost that much?!:eek: Never heard of the guy tbh.

PSG could've signed Pavard for that price probably.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They might be able to steamroll teams in their domestic league with that but teams in Europe will continue to punish them for zero defensive effort from their front three.
Surprises me as Cavani is terrific in the workhorse forward role for Uruguay and still scores plenty for them. I'm sure Mbappe at his age could adapt properly aswell. Neymar is a lost cause.

Just probably a case of too many egos in one place as for their national teams two of them can play completely different roles.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He cost that much?!:eek: Never heard of the guy tbh.

PSG could've signed Pavard for that price probably.
Maybe they could but, the last thing they needed was another CB. Silva, Kimpembe and Marquinhos is good enough. But, since they did not replace Thiago Motta they have to play Marquinhos at DM.

crossy1686

career ending
To be fair, PSG were lucky to be in that game, Liverpool should have been out of sight by half time. All PL teams should see Liverpool as beatable after that also.

PSG are the French Celtic. Shit league, very little competition, get pasted in the Champions League every year.

They'll most likely get stripped soon as well, Neymar to Madrid, Mbappe to Barcelona and the rest aren't good enough to be on the wages their on.

el3mel

French posters may get mad about that truth but that's really the result of playing in such a poor league week in week out with zero competition, you'll never get used to such high intensity matches when they come to you.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The club deserves all the stick it's getting, but it's overly reactionary from a lot of you, especially for the reasons I've listed above. No club would perform well in those conditions against that Liverpool team (and I'm really excited to see how they do throughout the season, they have no excuse not to win something). The knock on the French league is very original, but it didn't stop them from showing potential in Europe, but as always they come too short and I can't see this season changing with the team currently constructed, even after Tuschel gets his system in place. They're in shambles and still were a few minutes away of getting away with a draw.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For a team that won league so many times and spent so much, their bench is just poor. I know verratti was suspended, did they have any other player suspended/Injured?

Kehrer, Choupo-Moting, Diarra, Draxler, Nkunku, N'soki, Cibois was their bench. It's just poor except Draxler.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
After last night, Rabiot must know exactly what it is like for Henderson to play midfield for England.

Treble

For a team that won league so many times and spent so much, their bench is just poor. I know verratti was suspended, did they have any other player suspended/Injured?

Kehrer, Choupo-Moting, Diarra, Draxler, Nkunku, N'soki, Cibois was their bench. It's just poor except Draxler.
Well, that's the price to buy just 2 players for 400m. They do not need depth for the league. If they are lucky with injuries, they can still perform well in the CL. Wouldn't count them as likely winners though.

JoaquinJoaquin

No surprise that when they came up against good opposition and not farmers they get massively exposed. That's the least amount of team chemistry I have seen in years. It is criminal they have lost Matuidi, Pastore, Lo Celso in CM and not replaced them at all. At this point Verratti is basically becoming a luxury player with the amount of injuries he is getting. SURELY they must address that next Summer.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

The composition of the team seems much more of an issue to me than the French league. We're talking about a league that produces a significant amount of talent year in year out of a high enough level that many instantly do well when they move to the 4 better ranked leagues. It's a competitive enough environment not to be holding back a side from doing well in europe. PSG have other more pressing problems. If it was as bad as people are saying then it wouldn't be producing the volume of good players it does.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The club deserves all the stick it's getting, but it's overly reactionary from a lot of you, especially for the reasons I've listed above. No club would perform well in those conditions against that Liverpool team (and I'm really excited to see how they do throughout the season, they have no excuse not to win something). The knock on the French league is very original, but it didn't stop them from showing potential in Europe, but as always they come too short and I can't see this season changing with the team currently constructed, even after Tuschel gets his system in place. They're in shambles and still were a few minutes away of getting away with a draw.
Are you a United fan?

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
The composition of the team seems much more of an issue to me than the French league. We're talking about a league that produces a significant amount of talent year in year out of a high enough level that many instantly do well when they move to the 4 better ranked leagues. It's a competitive enough environment not to be holding back a side from doing well in europe. PSG have other more pressing problems. If it was as bad as people are saying then it wouldn't be producing the volume of good players it does.
The very best French players are either at Psg or at top European clubs; Not in ligue 1.
someone can correct me if I'm wrong but only 2/3 guys in the world cup winning squad are from a Ligue 1 team which is not PSG.
Having strong competition in your league helps you raise your Level. It's clearly the same thing thats held back Bayern in recent years.

I think its a factor that has made Barca and Madrid so good the last decade or so. That obsession to be better than your rival leading to some of the best teams of the modern game.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Are you a United fan?
Obviously not since I'm capable of admitting anything remotely positive about this Liverpool team.

The very best French players are either at Psg or at top European clubs; Not in ligue 1.
someone can correct me if I'm wrong but only 2/3 guys in the world cup winning squad are from a Ligue 1 team which is not PSG.
Having strong competition in your league helps you raise your Level. It's clearly the same thing thats held back Bayern in recent years.

I think its a factor that has made Barca and Madrid so good the last decade or so. That obsession to be better than your rival leading to some of the best teams of the modern game.
I think it's a fair point, I don't know how valid it is yet, but it's fair. However, Madrid/Barcelona really only have each other as a true competition. English clubs have had a far more competitive league and yet struggle in the Champion's League, last season was the furthest an English club had gone in some time. So it remains to be seen if competition in the league is really a driving factor for success in the CL.

The problem with Ligue 1 is that it produces a lot of very talented players, but it doesn't have the revenues to keep a hold of them for long, and so it's hard to have many talented teams besides PSG, and I don't think that will change for some time.