PSG | 2018-19 Club Thread | Season over

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
After last night, Rabiot must know exactly what it is like for Henderson to play midfield for England.
Rabiot will never be a great player or leader.

He hasn't the mindset of a top player and that is why Deschamps rightfully ignores him.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The composition of the team seems much more of an issue to me than the French league. We're talking about a league that produces a significant amount of talent year in year out of a high enough level that many instantly do well when they move to the 4 better ranked leagues. It's a competitive enough environment not to be holding back a side from doing well in europe. PSG have other more pressing problems. If it was as bad as people are saying then it wouldn't be producing the volume of good players it does.
You're absolutely right. The issue is easy to understand.

Thiago Motta-Verratti was a partnership that symbolized the DNA of PSG of the last 5 years.

Transform a defender as a #6, deploy a lightweight formerly winger as a #8 and use a Rabiot with zero sense of sacrifice; and you get the PSG midfield.

Marquinhos-Di Maria-Rabiot simply does not make sense in midfield.

I would even say the issue #1 is the lack of winning attitude.

With 11 Matuidi, we would have been better.

RooneyLegend

Pathetic coaching by Tuchel. What's Zidane up to nowadays. No team with that workrate is going to win anything in the CL.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would Zidane take the PSG job if offered? He was born and raised in Marseille after all....

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Rabiot will never be a great player or leader.

He hasn't the mindset of a top player and that is why Deschamps rightfully ignores him.
My point was he was basically the only player doing midfield duty for PSG last night.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Obviously not since I'm capable of admitting anything remotely positive about this Liverpool team.

I think it's a fair point, I don't know how valid it is yet, but it's fair. However, Madrid/Barcelona really only have each other as a true competition. English clubs have had a far more competitive league and yet struggle in the Champion's League, last season was the furthest an English club had gone in some time. So it remains to be seen if competition in the league is really a driving factor for success in the CL.

The problem with Ligue 1 is that it produces a lot of very talented players, but it doesn't have the revenues to keep a hold of them for long, and so it's hard to have many talented teams besides PSG, and I don't think that will change for some time.
English football for the past few years before City had a lot of good but not great teams. Competitive internally but not good enough for Europe. The top English clubs werent as good as they were around Ferguson, Benitez and Mourinho era and Leicester winning the league was a sad indictment of the quality of English football. At one point you had the likes of Rodgers, Moyes, Sherwood managing the top clubs in the country. Now with the arrival of Pep and Man City's quest for success the level of quality and ambition has to be raised by the other clubs. You have to get 90 points in the league just to be in a title race. Liverpool has gone out and spent a record amount on a goalkeeper and a defender, pretty much the same level of spending as you've done for Mbappe and Neymar, i.e getting the best possible player you can get without worrying about money. I'll be suprised if United arent doing the same come January/July. This will culminate in English clubs putting out some of the best teams in Europe. For my money in the next 5 years English clubs will win at least 2 Champions leagues.

I thought Monaco had a billionaire owner bankrolling them? They just seem content to buy and sell and make Champions League football. PSG really need that push. I dont think its a healthy position to be in where a manager wins the league but it isnt enough to keep your job. Check how you responded to Monaco winning the league in 2017, you went out and bought one of the best players in the world and the best young prospect in the world. Their success and your failure forced you to be more competitive.

I think it's an important factor. But its not the only one. Time is also very important. If you keep adding world class players to your team eventually you will win that Champions league title. It took Madrid a few years after adding Ronaldo and Kaka for them to finally crack it. Man City for all they've spent still havent won it and they represent a more similar starting point to PSG. They will win that Champions League though and most likely so will you.

Patrick08

They are a top heavy side with a weakened spine and base. Neymar will get frustrated with them if they don't continue their heavy investment addressing their problems behind him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They had no midfield, that's all it is.

We'll see what they're made of in a couple months

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
English football for the past few years before City had a lot of good but not great teams. Competitive internally but not good enough for Europe. The top English clubs werent as good as they were around Ferguson, Benitez and Mourinho era and Leicester winning the league was a sad indictment of the quality of English football. At one point you had the likes of Rodgers, Moyes, Sherwood managing the top clubs in the country. Now with the arrival of Pep and Man City's quest for success the level of quality and ambition has to be raised by the other clubs. You have to get 90 points in the league just to be in a title race. Liverpool has gone out and spent a record amount on a goalkeeper and a defender, pretty much the same level of spending as you've done for Mbappe and Neymar, i.e getting the best possible player you can get without worrying about money. I'll be suprised if United arent doing the same come January/July. This will culminate in English clubs putting out some of the best teams in Europe. For my money in the next 5 years English clubs will win at least 2 Champions leagues.

I thought Monaco had a billionaire owner bankrolling them? They just seem content to buy and sell and make Champions League football. PSG really need that push. I dont think its a healthy position to be in where a manager wins the league but it isnt enough to keep your job. Check how you responded to Monaco winning the league in 2017, you went out and bought one of the best players in the world and the best young prospect in the world. Their success and your failure forced you to be more competitive.

I think it's an important factor. But its not the only one. Time is also very important. If you keep adding world class players to your team eventually you will win that Champions league title. It took Madrid a few years after adding Ronaldo and Kaka for them to finally crack it. Man City for all they've spent still havent won it and they represent a more similar starting point to PSG. They will win that Champions League though and most likely so will you.
Within FFP Monaco can do nothing else than buy, sell and qualify for the CL. They have very little leeway with a small stadium and relatively big competition in terms of popularity. Monaco has always been a club that mix very young players with experienced but cheap player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They don't half have some random players. Their bench on Tuesday was shocking.

Trizy

Cavani after the Liverpool game :“I would like to see Premier League teams play in Ligue 1 so we could see how good they are.

“I wouldn’t disparage the French league, as France are the current world champions and many of their players play in Ligue 1.

“French teams have been playing in the later stages of the Champions League in the last few years. So I just think, this is football. It is what it is.”
https://www.football365.com/news/cavani-id-like-to-see-how-pl-teams-would-do-in-ligue-1

This is almost as good as Beyonce pretending Jay-Z is good looking.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Of course he would. He may have been born there but he never played for them.
And he is technically Algerian anyway as both his parents are Algerian. He isn’t really gonna have loyalty to Marseille is he. Besides if he is likely to move to a club for his career anyway. PSG would be a good move for him.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
And he is technically Algerian anyway as both his parents are Algerian. He isn’t really gonna have loyalty to Marseille is he. Besides if he is likely to move to a club for his career anyway. PSG would be a good move for him.
What can PSG possibly do to better Zidane's career? It's not like winning CL with them wouldb be seen as a huge achievement.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been saying it for awhile that their midfield isn’t good enough. They need to invest in that area heavily

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
https://www.football365.com/news/cavani-id-like-to-see-how-pl-teams-would-do-in-ligue-1

This is almost as good as Beyonce pretending Jay-Z is good looking.
To be fair we can’t dismiss what he is saying just off the PSG Liverpool result the other night.

Yes Liverpool beat the French champions by 1 goals but last season Liverpool beat the English champions (who won the league at a canter by the way) 4-1 on aggregate over 2 legs and 3-0 in the first leg. Liverpool beating PSG means nothing.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What can PSG possibly do to better Zidane's career? It's not like winning CL with them wouldb be seen as a huge achievement.
Win the European Cup for PSG, they have never won it and what Zidane did at Madrid wasn’t as great as people think. Yes he won 3 CL titles back to back but he only managed to win 1 LL title. Madrid had the best or top 3 teams in the world already when he became manager.

He can do plenty to better his career. Just like Pep had to move away from Barca and Bayern to prove that he is actually a great manager and not just because he has the best teams. Which he still hasn’t done btw. When he didn’t have the best team his team finished 3rd.

Same with Zidane, he needs to go elsewhere to really prove that he is an elite manager.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Win the European Cup for PSG, they have never won it and what Zidane did at Madrid wasn’t as great as people think. Yes he won 3 CL titles back to back but he only managed to win 1 LL title. Madrid had the best or top 3 teams in the world already when he became manager.

He can do plenty to better his career. Just like Pep had to move away from Barca and Bayern to prove that he is actually a great manager and not just because he has the best teams. Which he still hasn’t done btw. When he didn’t have the best team his team finished 3rd.

Same with Zidane, he needs to go elsewhere to really prove that he is an elite manager.
I dont know man, I think going to PSG would prove even less than what he did at Madrid.,They are expected to win all domestic trophies. And are considered one of the top teams in Europe. I think winning the CL with a club like Juve would be considered a bigger achievement.

In any case I'm not sure Zidane has to prove himself to anyone. He just resigned from the most demanding job in football having won the lot. His managerial qualities are very apparent imo

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Pep didn't have to leave Barca to prove anything :lol:

izec

Tuchel wont get them to play the way he wants to play or usually lets play. He will have to find a different way to be successful. If he could get Dembele to work harder, he could do the same with Mbappe. But Neymar is the issue here and the midfield/squad has no depth to be fresh enough to play the way he wants.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Tuchel wont get them to play the way he wants to play or usually lets play. He will have to find a different way to be successful. If he could get Dembele to work harder, he could do the same with Mbappe. But Neymar is the issue here and the midfield/squad has no depth to be fresh enough to play the way he wants.
Dembele had no defensive responsibility at Dortmund,

I think people are overeacting here, he's only 6 games into managing them. They will look a different team when he gets them to play his way.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Pep didn't have to leave Barca to prove anything :lol:
Of course he did. Winning all sorts with the best team in the world wasn't exactly proving himself. Enrique won the treble with Barcelona 2 seasons later. Pep failed in the CL with the current Champions Bayern. Clearly, he wasn't as good as people thought when he was at Barca. Great manager but still needed to prove himself.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I dont know man, I think going to PSG would prove even less than what he did at Madrid.,They are expected to win all domestic trophies. And are considered one of the top teams in Europe. I think winning the CL with a club like Juve would be considered a bigger achievement.

In any case I'm not sure Zidane has to prove himself to anyone. He just resigned from the most demanding job in football having won the lot. His managerial qualities are very apparent imo
Mourinho won the lot with Porto and Inter, Won 2 PL titles in his first stint with Chelsea, won LL with most points in the leagues history and the most goals scored, came back to Chelsea and won the PL again. But then he moves to United and struggles a bit more.

See even the best of managers still have to prove themselves that they are still great.

What's to say Zidane goes elsewhere and doesn't win much, because that can happen. Being successful in a team of great players is something, going elsewhere without a ready made team is something else entirely. He needs to do that before he can be called a great manager.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Of course he did. Winning all sorts with the best team in the world wasn't exactly proving himself. Enrique won the treble with Barcelona 2 seasons later. Pep failed in the CL with the current Champions Bayern. Clearly, he wasn't as good as people thought when he was at Barca. Great manager but still needed to prove himself.
No he didn't. He was already respected by his pears and most of his players. If fans on the Internet weren't and still aren't, I don't care it matters much.
He had to prove himself to people on the internet. And that's what Zidane needs to do.
I know right ? Some people on the Internet actually think their opinions matter that much

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Paris St-Germain: Uefa reopens investigation into French club's spending
@BBC

Ligue 1 champions PSG were initially cleared of breaking Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules in June, but European football's governing body said that decision would be reviewed.

Now, Uefa's club financial control body has opted to "refer the case back for further investigation".

FFP 'break-even' rules require clubs to balance spending with their revenue.

In August 2017, PSG more than doubled the world record transfer fee when they spent 222m euros (£200m) to sign Brazil forward Neymar from Barcelona.

They also signed Kylian Mbappe for 180m euros (£165.7m) this summer, after the France striker forward initially joined on a season-long loan from Ligue 1 rivals Monaco.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Wrong, Zidane took the job halfway through his first La Liga after the disastrous Benitez and ended up getting the most points since he took over of any team in La Liga, but the damage had already been done by Benitez. If he would have taken over from the start of the season, there's a good chance Madrid would have won La Liga. The next year, he got both La Liga and the CL, the third year that team was slowly falling apart having been together for so long, and he managed to get his third CL in a row. What he did was spectacular in such a short time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So in 2.5 seasons, Zidane won 3 CLs, 1 La Liga but it wasn't great?

Shame Zidane won only 1 league title in 2 full seasons.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Technically he is french from Marseille, since that's where he is born and grew up.

Trizy

They might turn their eyes to Kante or Pogba. Don't see why any top player who could get into a top club in England or Spain would want to go to Ligue 1, though.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
They might turn their eyes to Kante or Pogba. Don't see why any top player who could get into a top club in England or Spain would want to go to Ligue 1, though.

Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Silva, Alves, I could go on. Lots of top players would want to go to PSG.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They all went there for money. Change my mind.
Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, and Silva would be on similar wages regardless of what large team they played for. All of these players would walk into the starting XI of nearly any team in the world at the time they signed for PSG. City, Madird, and Barcelona could certainly match their wages.

Trizy

Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, and Silva would be on similar wages regardless of what large team they played for. All of these players would walk into the starting XI of nearly any team in the world at the time they signed for PSG. City, Madird, and Barcelona could certainly match their wages.
All aside from Mbappe were already at better and bigger clubs at the time of their transfers. Speaks volume.

Mbappe was smart in his move though. He's now starting for a European heavy weight. However, when he needs to leave to future his career I don't think those slave drivers will make it easy for him or his club.

Scenes if he left on a free.