PSG | 2018-19 Club Thread | Season over

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
All aside from Mbappe were already at better and bigger clubs at the time of their transfers. Speaks volume.

Mbappe was smart in his move though. He's now starting for a European heavy weight. However, when he needs to leave to future his career I don't think those slave drivers will make it easy for him or his club.

Scenes if he left on a free.
It's a little bit more nuanced. PSG under Qatar was a bigger project than Napoli, Milan needed money and pushed Thiago Silva out, Mbappé cameback to his hometown, Neymar is probably a money move but it could also be linked to Barcelona's inner context and Alves was reportedly offered more money by City but he wanted to join Neymar.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
All aside from Mbappe were already at better and bigger clubs at the time of their transfers. Speaks volume.

Mbappe was smart in his move though. He's now starting for a European heavy weight. However, when he needs to leave to future his career I don't think those slave drivers will make it easy for him or his club.

Scenes if he left on a free.
I guess my point if it were only about money, they could have all easily received the the same wages elsewhere. PSG was in the UCL by the time each of them moved and it was apparent they had ambitions to compete with the best teams in Europe.

Not fair to say it was only for money.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It's a little bit more nuanced. PSG under Qatar was a bigger project than Napoli, Milan needed money and pushed Thiago Silva out, Mbappé cameback to his hometown, Neymar is probably a money move but it could also be linked to Barcelona's inner context and Alves was reportedly offered more money by City but he wanted to join Neymar.
Beat me to it :)

JPRouve

Scout
Both parents are Algerian, he is therefore of an Algerian bloodline regardless of birth or where he is raised.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with his nationality or the city or team he will care about.

RooneyLegend

They need the coach to compete at that level. Football is a simple sport. It's all about the combination of tactics and the quality of players. If one of those two isn't where it should be winning the CL just won't happen.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Both parents are Algerian, he is therefore of an Algerian bloodline regardless of birth or where he is raised.
That's not how things work. Not sure why you're pushing so hard for this. He is 100% from Marseille, hence why I can't see him going to PSG.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine earning €3m a year for simply not having a go at your boss and greeting a bunch of people?
Wish I could play football.

the_irish123

Imagine earning €3m a year for simply not having a go at your boss and greeting a bunch of people?
Its probably part of the salary, they just structure it that way because of taxation.

JPRouve

Scout
Its probably part of the salary, they just structure it that way because of taxation.
It's not because of taxation since in France it would be worse than having it as base salary. The main reason is from an image control standpoint, the clubs doesn't want negative publicity coming from the inside or the outside, these bonuses include PR events and if I'm not mistaken FFP uses the base salaries regarding wage bills.

Trizy

They're a bit shite, aren't they? Watched them 2-3 times this season and can safety say they'll be no where near the CL semi's unless for a very favorable draw.

In terms of the money they've spent you'd imagine they'd have the best squad in Europe. Whereas in reality, they're not even in the top 10 teams IMO.

I'd honestly think all of: A.Madrid, Real, Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, and Juventus would beat them over two legs. With the likes of Dortmund, City & Barcelona actually embarrassing them due to their fire power.

Rossa

You don't have that in your contract? Where ARE the unions where you are from?

What surprises me more is that fans still go ahead and defend players' wages, when they are obscene, so far removed from what is a fair income, and they get bonuses such as being loyal to your boss/company? I find it baffling.

It's like teachers should be paid extra to not badmouth their principal to the students, and then a little extra if they say hello to their students in the morning....

JPRouve

Scout
You don't have that in your contract? Where ARE the unions where you are from?

What surprises me more is that fans still go ahead and defend players' wages, when they are obscene, so far removed from what is a fair income, and they get bonuses such as being loyal to your boss/company? I find it baffling.

It's like teachers should be paid extra to not badmouth their principal, and then a little extra if they say hello to their students....
That's because this notion is absolutely stupid and I'm sorry if it's harsh. Footballers aren't even gaining half of what they generate, they are the main parameter behind clubs, broadcasters and sponsors revenue.

Rossa

That's because this notion is absolutely stupid and I'm sorry if it's harsh. Footballers aren't even gaining half of what they generate, they are the main parameter behind clubs, broadcasters and sponsors revenue.
Is it? Supporters pay though their noses so that these players can enjoy their lavish lifestyles. Do you think Google employees, even executives, earn close to footballers? The revenues of Google is a helluva lot higher than that of Manchester United. The entertainment industry has gone well beyond what is sensible. Ultimately, you and I have to pay for that. If you are happy with that, then fine, but it also leaves a lot of families and young people unable to watch or go to matches because of this.

No employee gain half of what they generate - to think that is ridiculous. Even the best stock traders, who generate ridiculous amounts of money, don't make as much as Premier League footballers. If they want to make as much, they need to start their own company. Most people who earn as much as a bench warmer at West Ham are in positions where they have a lot to lose or a great deal of responsibility. According to most here, footballers don't even have to act as role models - Trent Alexander Arnold and his social media exploits come to mind, or drinking and driving, and so on. So they are not resonsible for anything, they are contracted for 4-5 years with a guaranteed income, sign on bonuses, and they have no responsibilites. You think that is fair? Bonuses such as the ones listed above just fuel the madness.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Better not tell my mother about this. She will go mental. She already hates how much footballers are paid. Now you have Neymar getting 2 million a year for not criticizing his boss. Jesus.

JPRouve

Scout
Is it? Supporters pay though their noses so that these players can enjoy their lavish lifestyles. Do you think Google employees, even executives, earn close to footballers? The revenues of Google is a helluva lot higher than that of Manchester United. The entertainment industry has gone well beyond what is sensible. Ultimately, you and I have to pay for that. If you are happy with that, then fine, but it also leaves a lot of families and young people unable to watch or go to matches because of this.

No employee gain half of what they generate - to think that is ridiculous. Even the best stock traders, who generate ridiculous amounts of money, don't make as much as Premier League footballers. If they want to make as much, they need to start their own company. Most people who earn as much as a bench warmer at West Ham are in positions where they have a lot to lose or a great deal of responsibility. According to most here, footballers don't even have to act as role models - Trent Alexander Arnold and his social media exploits come to mind, or drinking and driving, and so on. So they are not resonsible for anything, they are contracted for 4-5 years with a guaranteed income, sign on bonuses, and they have no responsibilites. You think that is fair? Bonuses such as the ones listed above just fuel the madness.
You are comparing jobs that do not have the same pool, the PL has 500 players, when there are hundred of thousands of traders in the UK alone, a company like Google has 85k employees. Scarcity will drive the price higher because you can't replace football players like you can replace traders or programmers, most football players are also far from the average wage those are skewed by the top wages made by players that are even less replaceable and definitely not for cheaper.
An other issue in what you wrote is that players wages have very little to do with the ability to watch games or go to matches, the money comes from advertisement, only a very small part comes from the gate or your TV membership. What actually finances clubs are the Adidas shoes that you buy, the Samsung phone that you purchased, the bets that you made or the rooms that you rented while going on Trivago, that's where Skysports money comes from and that's where the commercial deals that PL clubs land come from too.

And finally in general wages represent 20% to 50% of operating budgets for businesses, football is within those standards.

Deleted member 101472

Surely there is absolutely no way that can possibly be true, that he receives millions for not criticizing his manager?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Paris Saint-Germain admit to racially profiling young players

The scout, Serge Fournier, reportedly told Mediapart that PSG “didn’t want us to recruit players born in Africa, because you are never sure of their date of birth”. Fournier added the electronic form “should have said ‘white’ instead of ‘French’” as all the players recommended for signing were French.

At a meeting on 14 March 2014, Marc Westerloppe, responsible for recruiting in France outside of Paris at the time, is alleged to have spoken of a “problem with the direction the club is going in”. “We need more diversity. There are too many West Indians and Africans in Paris,” he is reported to have said.

This caused an angry exchange with Pierre Reynaud, in charge of recruitment in the Paris region, who insisted: “It must not be a question of ethnicity but talent.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/08/paris-saint-germain-racial-profiling-black-players

More interesting stuff in the article but didn't want to copy the whole thing.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Surely there is absolutely no way that can possibly be true, that he receives millions for not criticizing his manager?
No it's true. Initially they wanted to have fines in the contracts but it was difficult from a legal standpoint so they did the opposite. PSG players have surprisingly low base salaries because of that.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Is there a more disgusting club than PSG? Such contract bonuses shouldn't be even discussed. They treat Neymar and the likes like prima donas, hence they get no respect form anyone not even their players.

JPRouve

Scout
Is there a more disgusting club than PSG? Such contract bonuses shouldn't be even discussed. They treat Neymar and the likes like prima donas, hence they get no respect form anyone not even their players.
Moral clauses are part of footballer contracts and it's not even a news or a leak, it was widely reported in 2012 with Thiago Silva's contract. Every player have these clauses from academy product to superstars.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's because fines are forbidden in France. You have to consider them like potential fines for criticizing the club, employess, referees, arriving late lo training etc. And potentially losing millions for that seems pretty steep and not much of o privilege.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Surely this has to be taking the piss. My god what a time to be a footballer in France, I wish I'm Neymar, getting paid an additional over €208,000 just for not scolding your boss :lol: and over €31,000 for greeting fans before and after a match. These are stuff a footballer is expected to do anyway.

They're a bit shite, aren't they? Watched them 2-3 times this season and can safety say they'll be no where near the CL semi's unless for a very favorable draw.

In terms of the money they've spent you'd imagine they'd have the best squad in Europe. Whereas in reality, they're not even in the top 10 teams IMO.

I'd honestly think all of: A.Madrid, Real, Barcelona, Dortmund, Bayern, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, and Juventus would beat them over two legs. With the likes of Dortmund, City & Barcelona actually embarrassing them due to their fire power.
The first top team they get drawn against in the knockout round, they are out. They simply don't have the mentality and have been for years, and saying that, they might not even make out of their group. If they don't wake up soon, and fail to beat Liverpool in two weeks, they are out.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Out of all the things you can/should dislike about PSG this is the least. I'm sure clubs in England, Spain, Germany or Italy have fines in their contracts as well. Whether it's legally structured as fine or a bonus doesn't matter, in the end it's still an agreement that says: if you behave you will get sum x and if you misbehave you will lose sum y.

JPRouve

Scout
Surely this has to be taking the piss. My god what a time to be a footballer in France, I wish I'm Neymar, getting paid an additional over €208,000 just for not scolding your boss :lol: and over €31,000 for greeting fans before and after a match. These are stuff a footballer is expected to do anyway.
It's not really additional, in reality it's taken from the overall wage. For example, if a player wants a 10m wage, PSG will offer 9m guaranteed and 1m in bonus and it's the same for all players. Though they do have actual bonuses too, for example if Thiago Silva triggers the ethical clause the club gives him 8 flights Paris-Rio for him and his family.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Does anyone have an idea whether Mbappe and Neymar will make it for our match midweek? Must win game for them; injury will make this a tall order for them imo.

Schneckerl

Does anyone have an idea whether Mbappe and Neymar will make it for our match midweek? Must win game for them; injury will make this a tall order for them imo.
Can't believe they have Choupo-Moting as a backup.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Mbappe will most likely be there, Neymar will most likely not be able to make it as his injury takes more time to recover from. I wouldn't be surprised if PSG end up being more dangerous without Neymar and in a midfield where Draxler and Di Maria feed Mbappe/Cavani. Neymar is an amazing player, but he hogs far too much of the ball and makes it easier to contain PSG's offense because they're much more predictable with him on the field.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Mbappe will most likely be there, Neymar will most likely not be able to make it as his injury takes more time to recover from. I wouldn't be surprised if PSG end up being more dangerous without Neymar and in a midfield where Draxler and Di Maria feed Mbappe/Cavani. Neymar is an amazing player, but he hogs far too much of the ball and makes it easier to contain PSG's offense because they're much more predictable with him on the field.

Or maybe it's just wishful thinking...

Isnt Mbappe's a shoulder injury? Thought he'd be out for at least a week. Or maybe they'll see this as match you can risk him.

Saw your white text, don't think it's wishful thinking at all. Your argument make sense to me.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Isnt Mbappe's a shoulder injury? Thought he'd be out for at least a week. Or maybe they'll see this as match you can risk him.

Saw your white text, don't think it's wishful thinking at all. Your argument make sense to me.
I don't really think Mbappe will be considered a risky inclusion, from all reports his injury is not as bad as it looked and while he won't play this weekend, he should be fine against Liverpool. I think Neymar is a much bigger risk because he has a muscle injury that takes usually two weeks to safely recover from. But this Liverpool match is definitely the most important game of the season for PSG right now, so I can see them being reckless and rush him back on the field, and I'm afraid if they end up doing that it will backfire badly.

haram

I don't really think Mbappe will be considered a risky inclusion, from all reports his injury is not as bad as it looked and while he won't play this weekend, he should be fine against Liverpool. I think Neymar is a much bigger risk because he has a muscle injury that takes usually two weeks to safely recover from. But this Liverpool match is definitely the most important game of the season for PSG right now, so I can see them being reckless and rush him back on the field, and I'm afraid if they end up doing that it will backfire badly.
They can win Ligue 1 without Neymar.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Not impressed with them and think Liverpool will win without much fuss.