PSG vs Man Utd | Build-up Thread | Return leg Wednesday 06.03

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We finished 3rd in the group behind Wolfsburg and PSV in 2015, 3rd behind Benfica and Basel in 201, and bottom of a group containing Villarreal, Benfica and Lille in 2005.

Unless we end up losing by double figures I don't think we'll quite reach those levels of embarrassment.
I can see this being like Lyon v Werder Bremen a while ago. 0-3 at Old Trafford and then 6-1 or 5-0 in Paris. They will want to make history with this one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Reminder that games won't be played until the second half of February. A lot of things can happen before then. There's even a transfer window that this time will affect the CL...

LeapOfFaith

Supports
Liverpool
Chuffed with Bayern. A massive game, & their form gives us a big chance. Would rather have faced Porto, but hey, I'll be looking forward to this :drool:
Yep would take that draw just wanted to avoid Barca. Bayern out of form and Klopp knows how to win from his Dortmund days.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Even as horribly pessimistic as I've been about this season basically since the transfer window, even I hadn't foreseen Di Maria inevitably scoring a blinder against us as PSG knock us out - it always gets worse :lol:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I can see this being like Lyon v Werder Bremen a while ago. 0-3 at Old Trafford and then 6-1 or 5-0 in Paris. They will want to make history with this one.
Why will they? They'll want to secure passage to the quarter finals. They won't give a shit how they do it.

reddaz71

Mourinhos tactics will be a GK and ten cones parked in our own half....if anything gives Woodward the incentive to strengthen the defence next month it has to be this game!

T A

So sanchez will face his old team. Interesting

JG3001

Were going to lose this tie, so hoping for an absolute mauling whilst watching us play 10 men behind the ball both legs. The board have to see that the current state of the club is not acceptable, and I think a 7-0 drubbing is the only way it’s gonna happen, as none of the other embarrassing games seem to register so far.

Mcking

Schalke - City
Atletico - Juve
United - PSG
Spurs - Dortmund
Lyon - Barca
Roma - Porto
Ajax - Madrid
Liverpool - Bayern

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Schalke - City
Atletico - Juve
United - PSG
Spurs - Dortmund
Lyon
- Barca
Roma - Porto
Ajax - Madrid
Liverpool - Bayern
Damn you must have some pretty crazy dreams if you think City & Barcelona are going out after games versus Schalke & Lyon.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool will definitely beat Bayern.

For some reason I'm super confident we will beat Dortmund. I know they're top and flying, but they really don't scare me. Might prove misplaced but I think English football wipes the floor with Germany this year round.

Treble

Reminder that games won't be played until the second half of February. A lot of things can happen before then. There's even a transfer window that this time will affect the CL...
Very true.

Ban

Liverpool will definitely beat Bayern.

For some reason I'm super confident we will beat Dortmund. I know they're top and flying, but they really don't scare me. Might prove misplaced but I think English football wipes the floor with Germany this year round.
Hopefully Spurs and Liverpool will think the same. :)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Why will they? They'll want to secure passage to the quarter finals. They won't give a shit how they do it.
I think they will. They are starving for big European wins, they've barely eliminated any top teams in recent years and will definitely want to go down in history as a team that served Man Utd their biggest beating in Champions League.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
First Utd PSG in history. Should be be good games. :drool:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think they will. They are starving for big European wins, they've barely eliminated any top teams in recent years and will definitely want to go down in history as a team that served Man Utd their biggest beating in Champions League.
I think you've confused football with a children's TV show in which Manchester United and PSG are fiercely competitive rival characters.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Tough draws for the English teams apart from City. Tottenham against Dortmund could be one of the ties of the last 16 though, both play terrific football.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Chuffed with Bayern. A massive game, & their form gives us a big chance. Would rather have faced Porto, but hey, I'll be looking forward to this :drool:
We've been hitting some higher gears just recently and until the knockoutstage there is still some time left to hit even higher gears, so don't think you are the favorite now. :P

Nostalgic draw for us, always exciting to play against Klopp.

I am hoping for a long run this year once again, Robben deserves something for his last season with us.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I‘m excited for the Schalke leg, by the way. City will completely destroy them.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
We've been hitting some higher gears just recently and until the knockoutstage there is still some time left to hit even higher gears, so don't think you are the favorite now. :P

Nostalgic draw for us, always exciting to play against Klopp.

I am hoping for a long run this year once again, Robben deserves something for his last season with us.
Even if we end up going out we can focus on the league :D Either way, we get a massive game versus one of the biggest teams in Europe, and while I do think we're slight favourites, it really is a tough one to decide. It's the perfect match, really.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
:lol:

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Pool fans seems oddly confident... This is Bayern, in the KO, in Europe. I predict a tight 1-1 at Anfield and a clean 2-0 in Munich. I get 10% of all your gains.

AndyJ1985

Well at least we'll get humiliated by an elite team this season and not Sevilla

Do you even watch these teams :lol:, Dortmund would completely put us to the sword they play phenomenal football and Porto in the group stage had the most points of any team and are top of their league. It's like suddenly people forgot how utterly garbage we are
I think we would be lucky to beat any of them. Versus PSG though only really Dortmund and Porto (who had a very easy group) are arguably easier options. PSG just might get to put their annual knockout stage thrashing off until the quarters this year.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Pool fans seems oddly confident... This is Bayern, in the KO, in Europe. I predict a tight 1-1 at Anfield and a clean 2-0 in Munich. I get 10% of all your gains.
A big part of it is Bayern's form, but another part of it is that going out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for our league campaign. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's a bit of a win-win situation from where I'm sitting.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Playing home first might mean we actually try and attack at some point in this tie.

That said, Jose will probably prioritise a clean sheet in the hope we grab an away goal.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Some tasty ties there. If we haven't shaped ourselves by February ours could be very painful.

I'm gonna say:

Schalke - City
Atletico - Juve
United - PSG
Spurs - Dortmund
Lyon - Barca
Roma - Porto
Ajax - Madrid
Liverpool - Bayern