PSG vs Man Utd | Build-up Thread | Return leg Wednesday 06.03

Revan

Assumptionman
Depay scored 19 last year in the league only. Falcao scored 54 in all comps for the two seasons prior. Lacazette scored 113 in 4 seasons at Lyon. I'll take those Cavani numbers with a big pinch of salt.
Neither of those are nowhere near as good as Cavani's. Lacazzete scored 113 goals in 4 seasons, Cavani scored 145 in four seasons while having to share goals with Ibra, Mbappe and Neymar (he was #2 or #3 option for them).

He also proved himself in Italy, when he scored 3 times in a row over 30 goals (including a 38 goal season), in a quite defensive league. Even in European competitions, he is quite good, 48 goals in 77 matches.

It reminds me of doubts that EPL would be too hard for Ibra (who btw was 4-5 years older than Cavani). Then he came and scored 28 goals while getting injured in March.

Cavani is absolute quality, and has proven himself in multiple clubs in addition to NT.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
She has said for at least 4 weeks but very likely much longer.

We will see :)
I hope he will be fit for the 2nd leg because i wanna face the best PSG team.
45 days minimum according to UOL Esporte. It can't be a mind game as I think history repeats itself and Neymar is treated by a Brazilian doctor (national squad).

Some tactical experiments against very weak teams are not predictive of what PSG can do against Manchester United.

At least, those injuries make the outcome very unpredictable at all levels :)

cyberman

Their attack is better than ours. Mbappe and Cavani are easily better than anything we have, with Di Maria/Draxler at least being in Jesse's level. I consider Pogba as part of midfield, and that is a department where we are better than them.

Hard to reply to the bolded question. Players typically need time to settle in a team, so while I have no doubt that they are miles better than our attackers, they probably wouldn't do that well at us immediately. Just look at Di Maria, world beater at Madrid, but didn't ever settle here.
Pogba is part of our attack, he's at the heart of everything we do going forward. That's why he has the freedom to get forward after all.
If you would swap Pogba / Martial / Rashford / Lingard / Sanchez and Lukaku for Mbappe / Cavani / Di Maria and Draxler then you're insane.
Thats batshit crazy and your application for DOF is denied.
All the arguments made about progressive, modern football applies to here as well.
IMO most top managers would choose on form Rashford over Cavani for what he brings to a side.
He influences the style of a side more than Cavani does. More fluidity though the middle.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Pogba is part of our attack, he's at the heart of everything we do going forward. That's why he has the freedom to get forward after all.
If you would swap Pogba / Martial / Rashford / Lingard / Sanchez and Lukaku for Mbappe / Cavani / Di Maria and Draxler then you're insane.
Thats batshit crazy and your application for DOF is denied.
All the arguments made about progressive, modern football applies to here as well.
IMO most top managers would choose on form Rashford over Cavani for what he brings to a side.
He influences the style of a side more than Cavani does. More fluidity though the middle.
Yep, most top managers would choose a striker who scored 10 goals per season over an another who scores 40 and who has showed himself in multiple leagues, World Cup and South American Cup.

And then we laugh at RAWK for their mass delusion.

Enigma_87

You know who
Neither of those are nowhere near as good as Cavani's. Lacazzete scored 113 goals in 4 seasons, Cavani scored 145 in four seasons while having to share goals with Ibra, Mbappe and Neymar (he was #2 or #3 option for them).

He also proved himself in Italy, when he scored 3 times in a row over 30 goals (including a 38 goal season), in a quite defensive league. Even in European competitions, he is quite good, 48 goals in 77 matches.

It reminds me of doubts that EPL would be too hard for Ibra (who btw was 4-5 years older than Cavani). Then he came and scored 28 goals while getting injured in March.

Cavani is absolute quality, and has proven himself in multiple clubs in addition to NT.
PSG average around 15-20 shots per game. They create an awful amount of chances and are much better than Lyon for example going forward. Again, Cavani scored 50 goals from penalties in those 8 season, that's 5-6 per season, which is a good chunk of his totals.

You put Lacazzete in that team and I have no doubt he'll generate those numbers. Ibra is the better player and that's the reason why Cavani got shunted to the wing. When Ibra was injured Cavani was moved as a CF and under performed.

Those numbers mean nothing considering how many players were unable to reproduce them in other leagues. Some did(Ibra), but the large majority - didn't.

I wouldn't swap Rashford or Martial on current form in a CL time with Cavani, personally.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yep, most top managers would choose a striker who scored 10 goals per season over an another who scores 40 and who has showed himself in multiple leagues, World Cup and South American Cup.

So you'd take Cavani rather than Mbappe if you get the chance?

Revan

Assumptionman
PSG average around 15-20 shots per game. They create an awful amount of chances and are much better than Lyon for example going forward. Again, Cavani scored 50 goals from penalties in those 8 season, that's 5-6 per season, which is a good chunk of his totals.

You put Lacazzete in that team and I have no doubt he'll generate those numbers. Ibra is the better player and that's the reason why Cavani got shunted to the wing. When Ibra was injured Cavani was moved as a CF and under performed.

Those numbers mean nothing considering how many players were unable to reproduce them in other leagues. Some did(Ibra), but the large majority - didn't.

I wouldn't swap Rashford or Martial on current form in a CL time with Cavani, personally.
Thing is, he had already proved himself in a non-dominant team (Napoli) in a stronger league (which also happens to be arguably the strongest league in terms of tactics). He has also proven himself for Uruguay. We are not talking for an unknown quantity outside of Ligue 1.

He has 23 (not 50) penalties for PSG. Lacazette had 19.

Anak Portal

Absolutely we have a chance against PSG on our homeside, but in Paris, draw or lose 1-0 will be mesmerizing
Hope for neymar and veratti absent in 2 game leg
The tridente in PSG very overrated, but Mbappe will give a threat if we put Jones in our CB...but if Bailly, the situation will be different

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
.[/QUOTE]
Cavani has one of the worst strike rate in knockout stages for a top striker. He also has scored 2 against Red star in 10-2 aggregate in the group stage. Let's not go overboard here. Would you swap him for Martial ? He's 31 and will inevitably slow down, his biggest asset being his movement..
I didn't say I'd swap him.

crossy1686

career ending

You must really rate the French league...

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thing is, he had already proved himself in a non-dominant team (Napoli) in a stronger league (which also happens to be arguably the strongest league in terms of tactics). He has also proven himself for Uruguay. We are not talking for an unknown quantity outside of Ligue 1.

He has 23 (not 50) penalties for PSG.
To be fair, he did want to write 100 penalties for PSG but thought it was a bit exaggerated so he decreased to 50.

The best scorer regarding penalties in the history of PSG is still Zlatan with 24 goals.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who

He has 23 (not 50) penalties for PSG. Lacazette had 19.
That also happened nearly decade ago(Napoli). This is also CL tie, where his numbers in crucial games aren't really all that.

To be fair, he did want to write 100 penalties for PSG but thought it was a bit exaggerated so he decreased to 50.

The reality is he scored 16 penalties and missed 5: 21 attempts. The best scorer regarding penalties with PSG is still Zlatan with 24 goals.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/edinson-cavani/elfmetertore/spieler/48280

He had 21 penos for Napoli and 23 for PSG. (44 successful in all comps)

Revan was quoting his total goals, not only in the league ;)

Last edited:

Oldham

I do think Cavani is a good striker, but can't say I fear him going in to these games. Mbabbe is the real concern if Neymar is out...

Enigma_87

You know who
I do think Cavani is a good striker, but can't say I fear him going in to these games. Mbabbe is the real concern if Neymar is out...
and Di Maria as main creative hub behind the forwards. He's been on fire lately.

But Mbappe is the one I'm really concerned of how we will handle. Especially with our defence. Would've loved to bring an experienced CB in the Winter.. :(

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I meant for our game. I wouldn't swap Cavani for Martial for example, yet many seem to think he'll walk into our team for anybody.
I wouldn't swap him for Martial or Rashford due to their age, potential and the kind of forwards they are. However, I can acknowledge that Cavani is better/more proven/more established than anybody in our forward line. He's been among the top forwards in the game for a long long time now. Granted, he's no Aguero, Suarez etc but he's been ace for ages.

cyberman

First you claim you would pick Utd just because of Pogba, then you try to discount Pogba just so you can choose PSG and not look stupid.
You're going out of your way to pick PSG no matter what, its fascinating to see.
I dont think I've argued that Rashford has had a better career at 21 than Cavani has had 31 but thanks for that I guess?
If that's the game you play then I can play the Rashford has shown more at 21 than Cavani did at that age but whats the point? I'm talking the here and now.
Its why you're focusing on the one player because your argument does not stack up.
Cavani hasn't the pace or dynamic ability to play along the front line for Utd that would suit Pogba the way Rashford is now. That blistering pace and ability to go past a player would be gone which would affect the way Pogba can get forward. Cavani is 31 after all.
He wouldn't drift to allow Lingard or Pogba to run in behind but he would score more goals for us because he's a box player.
Its the same problem we seem to have with Sanchez. Even when the Chilean plays well and scores v Arsenal we still have the majority of fans wanting Rashford to play v Burnley because that goal and good play isn't enough for our side anymore. Hell Lukaku is productive again yet we want him on the bench because goals and assists can't make up for what we would lose without Marcus.
Isn't that a fair tradeoff?
We have more creativity through the middle that PSG.
Martial would start for them them without Neymar while Lingard and Pogba provide that threat and creativity though the middle which PSG doesnt have.
Our attack has more variation to it.

haram

@charlenefan as well.
Cavani isn't.
Also, you mention two names. Would you swap their attack v us with Rashford / Martial / Pogba and Lingard?
Cavani isn't mobile enough for how we play under Ole.
That's just how it is. He benefits with having two world class players either side.
Cavani is the main reason why they haven't gone deep in Europe over the years IMO.
There's something missing with him
Cavani isn’t mobile? His movement is outstanding.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We'll see if its true but thats fecking massive. They're still loaded in attack with mbappe, cavani and di maria, but Neymar is another level to the latter 2 so its huge. If something happens to Mbappe I might actually start thinking we're favourites....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry if this has been asked before. Please can some regular French league viewers describe how PSG would fare against us? They blow most teams away but standard is less and from what I hear they are very vulnerable in the back. On paper their defence is stronger than ours so I find that surprising.

Whenever I hear a recap of the French league from James Richardsons podcast it's normally about them blowing sides away.

Eplel

Past few pages some people try to pass Cavani as the new Maradona or something.

AaronRedDevil

You all forget something. PSG killed Barcelona 4-0 without Neymar last year. The threat is barely different. Still gotta worry about Mbappe,Cavani, Di Maria and God knows who else.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Past few pages some people try to pass Cavani as the new Maradona or something.
He's scored 20+ goals a season every season for the past 9 years or something. He's a very consistent threat.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You all forget something. PSG killed Barcelona 4-0 without Neymar last year. The threat is barely different. Still gotta worry about Mbappe,Cavani, Di Maria and God knows who else.
Two years ago but PSG had Thiago Motta-Matuidi-Verratti in central midfield.

Eplel

He's scored 20+ goals a season every season for the past 9 years or something. He's a very consistent threat.
Fair enough, is he better than Ronaldo or Kane? Because I remember our team taking 3 points both in Turin and Wembley this year.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Fair enough, is he better than Ronaldo or Kane? Because I remember our team taking 3 points both in Turin and Wembley this year.
You were lucky in Turin, & DDG had the game of his life versus Spurs (& their finishing was terrible to boot). Mbappe & Cavani will cause you more issues than Spurs did versus you.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You were lucky in Turin, & DDG had the game of his life versus Spurs (& their finishing was terrible to boot). Mbappe & Cavani will cause you more issues than Spurs did versus you.
Nonsense on both counts