Pundits you actually like?

cyberman

Rio for me, he talks sense and doesn't take himself too seriously.
Alan Smith is also criminally underrated

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Neville & Carragher are the best for me... but after them there's a fair few that I like.

As an aside, Wright, Shearer and Lineker are usually pretty good when it comes to England.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Carragher, Lampard. Rio's okay I guess. Jenas possibly. Dislike most of the rest.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Henry. Loathed him when he played for Arsenal. But what a really great guy with good insight and charisma. By far the best for me.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Carragher is a great pundit but can’t believe he’s allowed back on TV after what he did.

I don’t really rate Neville as much as others here and elsewhere do. I really don’t think he’s as insightful as he thinks he is. (Some would say the same about me :))

My favourite is Graham Hunter, by far. I also like Ken Early (Irish - Second Captains podcast).

I will never understand how Guillem Balague gets work as a pundit.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Carragher is a great pundit but can’t believe he’s allowed back on TV after what he did.

I don’t really rate Neville as much as others here and elsewhere do. I really don’t think he’s as insightful as he thinks he is. (Some would say the same about me :))

My favourite is Graham Hunter, by far. I also like Ken Early (Irish - Second Captains podcast).

One instance of landing a bit of saliva on someone should get you fired and kicked off TV forever? Why?

tomaldinho1

This confuses me greatly also

poleglass red

Owen Hargreaves was pretty unbearable when he first started, recently though I've found him to be really good, especially as a co-commentator.

Phil Neville by far the worst.
It's Hargreaves accent that is more annoying than his actual analysis.

spwd

Carragher and Jenas are the best at the minute, Gnev used to be good but hes gone too far the other way now, Higginbottom, Dixon, Le tissier, Alan Smith and Rio are all decent too.

Revaulx

Owen Hargreaves was pretty unbearable when he first started, recently though I've found him to be really good, especially as a co-commentator.

Phil Neville by far the worst.
Spot on re Hargreaves. There’s no doubt he carried a residual bitterness towards United when he started out, but that disappeared long ago.

Phil Neville is awful. I find Gary’s bravado rather wearing as well.

I used to think Lee Dixon was decent, but he was very cliché-ridden at the World Cup. Zabaleta was great though; he hadn’t got any great insight but came across as a really nice chap.

Josh 76

The usual suspects which are already mentioned. I was impressed with Trevor Francis during the world cup. Also starting to like what Steve McMahon (not McManama) has to say.

The ones that drive me mad:
Phil Neville
Phil Thompson
Jamie Rednapp
Souness
Belamy

Johan07

Mourinho was pretty entertaining while punditing on Russian TV during the WC. Even if he made everything sound like he was talking about himself and United. Or maybe the latter was more in my mind. He will not lack for offers when/if he decides to retire from managing thats for sure.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Paul Robinson is a very good speaker and actually knows what he's talking about.

cyberman

Carragher and Jenas are the best at the minute, Gnev used to be good but hes gone too far the other way now, Higginbottom, Dixon, Le tissier, Alan Smith and Rio are all decent too.
I don't understand the love for Jenas, he has a great talent for speaking without saying anything.
He seems to be a follow the narrative type of pundit.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Mourinho was pretty entertaining while punditing on Russian TV during the WC. Even if he made everything sound like he was talking about himself and United. Or maybe the latter was more in my mind. He will not lack for offers when/if he decides to retire from managing thats for sure.
Agreed, the best punditry I've heard in recent times came from Jose Mourinho at Russia 2018.

Besides Mourinho, I obviously respect Gary Neville's punidtry and I've also got a lot of time for Danny Higginbotham. Generally speaking I like it when the pundits come prepared with stats and data and don't just say things you'd hear down the pub. A lot of pundits seem to get away with making totally unfounded claims about players, simply because they are never challenged to evidence the views they give.

Johan07

Agreed, the best punditry I've heard in recent times came from Jose Mourinho at Russia 2018.

Besides Mourinho, I obviously respect Gary Neville's punidtry and I've also got a lot of time for Danny Higginbotham. Generally speaking I like it when the pundits come prepared with stats and data and don't just say things you'd hear down the pub. A lot of pundits seem to get away with making totally unfounded claims about players, simply because they are never challenged to evidence the views they give.
For someone that lives in Kyiv I have not had the pleasure to hear or see Higginbotham on TV. I do have an enormous respect for his written columns. Very astute tactically.
What broadcaster does he work for?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
For someone that lives in Kyiv I have not had the pleasure to hear or see Higginbotham on TV. I do have an enormous respect for his written columns. Very astute tactically.
What broadcaster does he work for?
I've seen him do tactical previews on Sky Sports News, although I understand that he is a co-commentator for some coverage in the States.

tomaldinho1

I think Jenas is actually decent, G Nev/Carra are ok (I think it would help if one was an attacking player because their analysis is so much better when they focus on defensive tactics etc). Rio is good as well actually.

There must be some recently retired footballers who can speak well on camera and are better than the Bellamys, Redknapps and Keys of this world though.

The White Pele

Carragher and Rio are my favourites. Rio doesn’t over analyse things and gives some good insight on the mindset of a player or a dressing room.

Neville is obviously good too but he can go way over the top sometimes when trying to land a point.

I always think that Lineker could give much better insight than most of the pundits he finds himself asking questions to.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Didn't think it would be too popular opinion here but I quite like Bellamy to be fair. Watched a few championship games this season too and I didn't mind Keith Andrews as a pundit. Sky seem to be pushing him as the Neville or the championship with his video analysis bits.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Like - Neville, Carragher, Lampard, Ferdinand, Savage

Dislike - Keane, Souness,

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I was surprised by Belamy, dont mind him as a pundit, Jenas, Rio, Lampard the others. Carragher is in that so so boat, cant condone his actions but dont mind his punditry.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Strachen is a good pundit. The way I rate a pundit is basically ‘tell me something I don’t already know’. The vast majority wheel out the bleeding obvious. Strachen is always one that tells me something that I wasn’t expecting

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Never seen Bellamy as a pundit but I'll look out for him.

I respect the hard work and detail Neville and Carragher bring to the trade - they've changed punditry really with the indepth analysis and insight they add and they're both very good at getting their points across. Neville just tries too hard to be unbiased for me and although it might be his commentary that annoys me more than his punditry - his trying to start a red card fuss about an absolutely innocuous challenge from Lukaku last year really pissed me off.

Eamon Dunphy, Michael Owen, Don Hutchinson, Danny Murphy and Owen Hargreaves are the 5 pillars of punditry evil though. I'd pay a years salary to have them all banished to a remote island for the rest of their days. Hell, I'd even listen to Phil Neville commentating and analysing every United game for a year if it meant I never had to watch those 5 clowns again.
Bellamy is pretty good on the Debate.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
No-one has mentioned Ruud Gullit at all. He's not on that much but he's a likeable presence and has insightful analysis of the games. I wish he was on moem

TAA

Supports
liverpool
Hated him as a player but love him as a pundit, Gary Neville

Him and Carra are the best by far. Cant stand sutton

I also really like collymore

SER19

I thought danny murphy started off well but has gone along with narratives more lately. Danny Higginbotham is a good commentator. Neville and carragher usually good even if i disagree. Sherwood wright redknapp are awful.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Like: Carragher, Neville, Dixon, Lampard, Shearer, Gullt & Keano (for entertainment value)
Neutral: Jenas, Rio, Savage, Bellamy, Michael Owen
Dislike: Souness, Redknapp, Ian Wright

I always think that Lineker could give much better insight than most of the pundits he finds himself asking questions to.
always find it funny when he asks someone like Murphy "how do you break down this defence?" when he himself is clearly the best person to answer that question :lol: