Pundits you actually like?

Needham

Garth Crooks all day long. The guy is full of language but his over exuberant passion for the game just blocks it all from coming out right.

Needham

Carra's fully done his penance now:
Can we just shut down the anti-Carra Carra hate now please?

Bola

Carragher and Neville generally provide good tactical analysis, with Murphy and Shearer not far behind. On the radio, I like listening to Pat Nevin - he obviously can't provide the visual analysis, but I generally like his insights into the game, plus he is generally polite when putting his viewpoint across

Simon Jordan isn't bad on Talksport. Outspoken and very opinionated, but if you cut through that, he does provide different viewpoints on transfers and club backroom activity based on his days as Palace Chairman

After that, there are not many that I rate too highly. Most have a signifucant club bias, offer anecdotal opinions rather than any insight based on analysis, or drift towards trolling activity

On the last point, I don't mind Chris Sutton at times. Obviously biased towards Celtic and throws in the 'trolling comments', but he generally lives up the show he is on. He is a bit like a 'heel' in wrestling

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I really like Keane, Shearer, Souness and Neville - Carragher is not bad and Jenas is getting better. Other than that they are pretty mediocre.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I really like Keane, Shearer, Souness and Neville - Carragher is not bad and Jenas is getting better. Other than that they are pretty mediocre.
You like the grouches

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Higginbotham.

When not talking about Arsene Wenger, Stewart Robson is one of the best ones around talking about tactics in games.

Matt007a

Nev and Carra are a good team. The soccer Saturday team are really hit and miss. Le Tiss is good and I think Jeff Stelling actually knows more about football than the rest of the panel combined.

Ian Wright doesn't really have particularly insightful views, but I still enjoy watching him for his absolute love of the game. He carries himself like a fan who just loves football, not an ex player who lived it. A lot of pundits are personality vacuums.

I also liked listening to Henry, plus his sparkly beard was mesmerizing.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Carra's fully done his penance now:
Can we just shut down the anti-Carra Carra hate now please?
I'm disappointed that Neville didn't mention Carragher's own goal record when answering the question about who would be more prolific.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Unfortunately Andy Gray is still the best.

I can't stand his mate but I wish he was back on Sky.
Nothing comes close to his commentary in the early premier league league years.

I kinda miss him to be honest.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Neville is not as smart as he thinks he is in my opinion, and he over-compensates against us due to his history.

Carragher is the best for me. I also like Higginbotham, Rio Ferdinand and Lampard.

Ibrahimorich

Carragher is the best and most balanced by miles (sadly). Nev's still pretty good but he's too anti-United. Lee Dixon's pretty good when given a chance to do analysis.

From the minor ones: Rio, Jenas and Shearer are the ones I like. Not saying they're that good mind :lol:

Perseus

None of them. Souness is not a "toady" though.

Keith Andrews looked promising once, but limited to a lower standard.

Last edited:

MichaelRed

Like: Neville, Wright, Carragher, Jenas.

Wouldn't mind seeing in an acid bath: Chris Sutton, Chris Sutton, Chris Sutton, Chris Sutton and Chris Sutton.

stubie

Pundits have ruined the game of football for me.

When you have Paul Merson having his own show on Sky making shit predictions and boring cliches I know my time enjoying football has come to an end

T_Model101

Like: Neville, Wright, Carragher, Jenas.

Wouldn't mind seeing in an acid bath: Chris Sutton, Chris Sutton, Chris Sutton, Chris Sutton and Chris Sutton.
:lol: Can't say I've ever heard him
But every time I read what he has to say about Utd on the BBC Live text, it's amongst the most poisonous bile I've ever heard

The Bloody-Nine

:lol: Can't say I've ever heard him
But every time I read what he has to say about Utd on the BBC Live text, it's amongst the most poisonous bile I've ever heard
He says shit he doesn't believe to get a reaction. Best ignored entirely.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I like Carragher, hated him as a player, and he's thick as mince, but he has genuinely good insights into the game which is what a pundit is supposed to do.

Gary Neville and Jermaine Jenas I think are also very good.

TheReligion

Abusive
Phil Thompson is an idiot.

Just listening to him on the debate and he's so biased and up Liverpool's arse hole is sad. You'd think football and the PL revolved around them 4 games in.

Hope Spurs beat the odius wankstains tomorrow.

Josh 76

Just watched the soccer Saturday team discuss the Utd situation.
Those 4 need to be fired along with Steling. Actually the station needs to be moved to LFC TV.
Wankers!

kyofusho

Just watched the soccer Saturday team discuss the Utd situation.
Those 4 need to be fired along with Steling. Actually the station needs to be moved to LFC TV.
Wankers!
What did they say?

witchtrials

On the radio, I like listening to Pat Nevin - he obviously can't provide the visual analysis, but I generally like his insights into the game
He's the person that came to mind when I saw this thread. Nevin is one of a minority of pundits who can be relied on for thoughtful consideration of the game rather than just repeating whatever the current fashionable narrative tropes are (or contrarian opposition to the same tropes). When summarising he often seems make pretty astute observations early on about how things might play out. If I was (for some reason) charged with refreshing the coverage on any of the BBC, Sky etc. he'd be the first I'd turn to.

Josh 76

What did they say?
Apart from having the usual wanking session over Liverpool.
Steling asked 'why didn't they just offer the Job to Carrick until the end off the season ?'
And they all said cause the club basically haven't a clue and paying extra compensation to Moldov is typical of no one in control.

None of then idiots didn't realise Carrick hasn't got his coaching badgers.
These lot well passed their sell by date!

Guy Incognito

He's the person that came to mind when I saw this thread. Nevin is one of a minority of pundits who can be relied on for thoughtful consideration of the game rather than just repeating whatever the current fashionable narrative tropes are (or contrarian opposition to the same tropes). When summarising he often seems make pretty astute observations early on about how things might play out. If I was (for some reason) charged with refreshing the coverage on any of the BBC, Sky etc. he'd be the first I'd turn to.
Yes, totally agree. Neville and Carragher are great but how much is that to do with Sky's coverage? It's become very soundbity and navel gazing

Nevin is the pundit I enjoy listening to the most. And he suits radio coverage. In fact the Scottish pundits like Mccoist are usually the best.

witchtrials

Rio always has some interesting stories and can add some interesting opinions but still not great.
I tend to find Ferdinand pretty illuminating when it comes to the craft of top level defending. For me he stands in favourable contrast to someone like Shearer, who was obviously his equal in terms of playing quality and on the pitch was an expert in his position, but isn't as gifted at articulating the a top player's thought processes (though I should add the caveat that I only watch BBC coverage occasionally so I might be being unfair to Shearer there).