Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Charlie Foley

Question for the mods. Are we allowed call posters bastards on here so if we disagree with their political views?

Lecland07

The government is elected by people and constantly changes. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. The monarchy is dumb as you are just born into it, as if this random group of pedos and racists are supposedly more important people than anyone else. The whole concept of it is archaic as if there is a hierarchy among people - which there isn't. They provide nothing but get to live their life with riches because they get given taxes from people who don't want to. It's nonsense and crazy that it exists in 1st world countries in the 21st century.
I agree with what you are saying about the government changing with elections, but I think that is similar for monarchy. It is not done through elections, but I see the people as individuals rather than a single entity that carry the blame of all those that came before.

The monarchy really isn't the same as it has no power (although, it has also had no power at points in the past also). Though the title is still there, it isn't the real role of a monarch, who would pretty much have dictatorial power over a nation. It is a head of state position.

In the end, I just do not understand the point of spending millions on something people aren't going to agree on, anyway. Head of state will just be another point of contention that people won't be happy about, either. And we could always end up having Boris Johnson as head of state and Liz Truss as PM.

The vast majority of the tax is spent on the royal properties, of which I believe there are about 900. This would still need to be paid, unless the nation decides to sell them off privately, which would be a shame as access to the public could be lost.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Hansi is on a holiday. Can we stop making other posters the discussion points for now?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Misfortune as in celebrating that somebody died? Couple of stupid comments you’ve made in this thread.
Take the post seriously and talk about stupidity.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wow, who'd have thought the Queen perishing would lead to all our war in the Caf,

This is indeed the best legacy the Queen had left.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I agree with what you are saying about the government changing with elections, but I think that is similar for monarchy. It is not done through elections, but I see the people as individuals rather than a single entity that carry the blame of all those that came before.

The monarchy really isn't the same as it has no power (although, it has also had no power at points in the past also). Though the title is still there, it isn't the real role of a monarch, who would pretty much have dictatorial power over a nation. It is a head of state position.

In the end, I just do not understand the point of spending millions on something people aren't going to agree on, anyway. Head of state will just be another point of contention that people won't be happy about, either. And we could always end up having Boris Johnson as head of state and Liz Truss as PM.

The vast majority of the tax is spent on the royal properties, of which I believe there are about 900. This would still need to be paid, unless the nation decides to sell them off privately, which would be a shame as access to the public could be lost.
What's your point?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
fecking hell this thread went exactly the way we all secretly expected it to go. Some folk went over the top and replied with insensitive remarks, a couple of self centered folk made it their mission to make the whole story about themselves and theatrically demand satisfaction for things they were offended by, and all the while millions of people in the outside world are still fecked and will be expected to foot the bill for a funeral and a coronation.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Hansi is on a holiday. Can we stop making other posters the discussion points for now?
Yeah. Was ruining the thread. Way better when people are referring to the late queen as an old hag. Let's get this thread back on track ey?

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Saw this asked on reddit and am genuinely curious: Do QPR change their name now?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Queen has passed away. RIP you will live on forever. Can't believe this. Really can't believe this. @

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Disgrace of a thread. Forum should be ashamed.
It did start on the General, bear in mind that some posters use humour for valid reasons and some peoples have genuine issues with the Family, some for generations.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Maybe you should tell that to the other scout in here.
I'm just trying to make a helpful point, it doesn't bear directing to anyone, let's all keep our cool eh?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Because back in the 17th and 18th century a lot of this was directly attributable to the monarch. Parliament only became independent truly of the monarch with George III's madness and his son's preference for chasing tail.

Charles II was responsible for setting up a company which enslaves a quarter of a million Africans, for one example.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/...s-of-england-relating-to-trade-in-africa-1663

Members of the Royal Family also used their positions in the House of Lords to ensure slavery was not abolished in many debates.
I'm not saying that the monarchy were not involved, they certainly were. But so were elected members of Parliament, and wide swathes of society, from people who invested in bonds and stocks of companies engaged in plunder, to people who served in the Civil and Armed services...

I feel the conversation (rightly) linking the monarchy to Empire misses that context.

MoskvaRed

The BBC has gone full N Korea. BBC1 and 2 are wall to wall Nicholas Witchell (who is speaking in a tone like his own mother just died) and BBC4 is off air. I realise that it is a newsworthy event in a symbolic sense but do we really need this level of blanket coverage…

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Rest In Peace Queen Lizzy.

A lovely lady and an excellent Queen. She will be fondly missed by many.

I'm anti monarch myself and don't hold the Royal family in great esteem, or believe in it.

But Lizzy in my opinion was one of the good ones and deserves our respects.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Damn some disconnect in here and with the general public, going off of yougov she had a pretty good approval rating while most posts here seem negative.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

I'm anti monarch myself and don't hold the Royal family in great esteem, or believe in it.

Best queen in your lifetime would you say?

BarcaSpurs

Damn some disconnect in here and with the general public, going off of yougov she had a pretty good approval rating while most posts here seem negative.
People vote in the tories doesn't mean it's not fair game to have celebrated when Thatcher died.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The BBC has gone full N Korea. BBC1 and 2 are wall to wall Nicholas Witchell (who is speaking in a tone like his own mother just died) and BBC4 is off air. I realise that it is a newsworthy event in a symbolic sense but do we really need this level of blanket coverage…
It is probably in the BBC Charter and Agreement signed by Queen Elizabeth II. I'm not going to read it for you though!

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
This forum is comprised of lots of people from places that the British plundered around the world, lots of people from northern England, as well as a lot of Irish people and a lot of trolls. It's gone more or less as expected tbh

Kopral Jono

Sure, but it's hard not to respond when people claim her as being the best thing to happen to the world in the last 100 years.
I do find a lot (if not all) of the memes and GIFs doing the rounds funny! It’s the ones wishing her a painful death and such that bothers me. Have some respect, for feck’s sake.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
People vote in the tories doesn't mean it's not fair game to have celebrated when Thatcher died.
Thatcher was still a political figure and quite the divisive one, I doubt her approvals were ever above the mid 50s as most laborers seemed to have a vitriolic hate towards her while Elizabeth has routinely enjoyed an approval hovering around the 80s with few ever holding her in outright contempt.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Well it's a historic day.

I hope all Liz Truss is remembered for is killing the Queen.

It'll never happen but now his protector has gone can we get Andrew dobbed in for being a nonce?

Denis79

Think she was liked outside Great Britain as well. Wonder if the British monarchy can recover from this loss? I mean are the other members of the family even liked?