Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'll have to ask my grandmothers if they remember any different but I don't believe they let us have a parliament in any meaningful sense. But they did preside over 24 major famines in less than 50 years, resulting in 15 million deaths while a few people very far away got very rich.

Anyway, RIP. I'm not going to pretend I'm not a bit moved by this.

EDIT: Or was that aimed at the British posters?
Ya I think that was about the British parliament.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This forum is comprised of lots of people from places that the British plundered around the world, lots of people from northern England, as well as a lot of Irish people and a lot of trolls. It's gone more or less as expected tbh
Her popularity also declines heavily for millenials and younger. No one should be surprised to see that the caf is largely made of millienials that also happens to be on the opposite side of the monarchy.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This forum is comprised of lots of people from places that the British plundered around the world, lots of people from northern England, as well as a lot of Irish people and a lot of trolls. It's gone more or less as expected tbh
Fair enough, but then it's probably misguided, no matter what is said to the contrary the royals have had minimal if not outright nonexistent political influence for some time now.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough, but then it's probably misguided, no matter what is said to the contrary the royals have had minimal if not outright nonexistent political influence for some time now.
I realize that it's for a different thread but the royals having minimal political influence is largely by choice, them being apolitical isn't necessarily a good thing and many people will consider that against them.

GazTheLegend

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
fecking hell this thread went exactly the way we all secretly expected it to go. Some folk went over the top and replied with insensitive remarks, a couple of self centered folk made it their mission to make the whole story about themselves and theatrically demand satisfaction for things they were offended by, and all the while millions of people in the outside world are still fecked and will be expected to foot the bill for a funeral and a coronation.
I’m not sure this financial argument holds to be honest. Not getting involved with the love or hate back and forth, but I will point out here that financially, it wouldn’t surprise me if the monarchy had a net positive contribution financially because, for one, it drives a significant amount of tourism (surprisingly).

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I’m not sure this financial argument holds to be honest. Not getting involved with the love or hate back and forth, but I will point out here that financially, it wouldn’t surprise me if the monarchy had a net positive contribution financially because, for one, it drives a significant amount of tourism (surprisingly).
Also, people are forgetting the amount of jerseys they sell. The queen alone probably sold loads of them with her name on the back and #1, that would more then make up for her costs.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Think she was liked outside Great Britain as well. Wonder if the British monarchy can recover from this loss? I mean are the other members of the family even liked?
Certainly she was liked by some. But I imagine there are many who have formed no opinions of her. Do you have an opinion on the Swedish monarchy?

What do you mean by wonder if theyll recover from their loss?

It feels like these questions are rhetorical in nature. If you have something to say then spit it out. Obviously you are trying to entice me into a reaction. So let's save the mental gymnastics and get to the point.

GloryHunter07

Not going to pretend I care about the royal family, because I don't, but seeing Lizz Truss make a speech about the Queen after being so outspokenly against her was odd. I half expected her to just come out with "ding dong the witch is dead".
Lizz Truss flip flops on her opinions like nothing else. Remain? Brexit? Who cares, as-long as it helps her career.

Brophs

The One and Only
Hopefully Charles takes a strong line with Andrew. "From here on in, we will absolutely not be funding your noncing."

MoskvaRed

I’m not sure why you mention the North of England - Thatcher might be hated there but it’s no more or less royalist than the rest of the country. As for the British Empire and English/British policy in Ireland, it’s not like Elizabeth II as a constitutional monarch had much of a say in any of that. Her main role in the Empire was ceremonial visits to attend independence ceremonies, and, as for Ireland, I think she handled the state visit there with a level of tact sorely missing in people like Boris Johnson. I’m not a royalist and would prefer to modernise the country but she played her role well.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I fully expect to see Britain fall apart because of this news. The Queen was holding everything together, working in the shadows managing our public systems and foreign trade agreements, our schools and emergency services, our road and park maintenance, and everything else.
I thought that was the World Economic Forum?
Hansi is on a holiday. Can we stop making other posters the discussion points for now?
You're just jealous.

Other than that, it's sad for the family, and I hope Canada uses this occasion to reevaluate things.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I realize that it's for a different thread but the royals having minimal political influence is largely by choice, them being apolitical isn't necessarily a good thing and many people will consider that against them.
I'm just stating the facts, holding colonial rule against them when they had minimal political impact for most of it is bizarre to me, if anything most of the empire building happened after their diminished role with overwhelming public support , hell some of the more egregiously acts happened under governments which by today's standards will be considered relatively liberal.

Anyway them being apolitical has probably led to them lasting so long, making enemies out of half your population without any effective executive powers is daft, still I think if any criticism was to be leveled against them it has to be about them benefiting from public funds and such.

Tarrou

The royal navy hunted down slavers at great cost to the treasury. All this while many other countries kept on with it, or at the VERY least some forms of serfdom well into the 20th century. Not (of course) justifying many of the other historical crimes but it's something that people should know.

https://www.history.co.uk/article/the-blockade-of-africa-how-royal-naval-ships-suppressed-the-slave-trade#:~:text=It's thought that between 1808,hands of violent slave traders.
we also kept paying compensation to former slave owners and their descendants until 2015 which is also something people should know

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Whether their influence is political in nature or not is irrelevant. What the royal family have overseen, had a hand in or even been directly responsible for is rephrensible to many, understandably often worse than anything any given politician has done.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm just stating the facts, holding colonial rule against them when they had minimal political impact for most of it is bizarre to me, if anything most of the empire building happened after their diminished role with overwhelming public support , hell some of the more egregiously acts happened under governments which by today's standards will be considered relatively liberal.

Anyway them being apolitical has probably led to them lasting so long, making enemies out of half your population without any effective executive powers is daft, still I think if any criticism was to be leveled against them it has to be about them benefiting from public funds and such.
It's not that daft. Before people take things too seriously, it's a silly example but if I have the influence of preventing a mugging and you are mugged in my presence will you ignore the fact that I could have stopped it but chose to do nothing? Surely you will have grievances against me and also against your aggressor?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Trevor ‘convicted of racial abuse’ Sinclair taking the moral high ground

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There's actually zero evidence that this is true, let alone "significant" amounts. It's reported as fact by places like the Daily Mail but never with actual evidence. If you look at the statistics for the most visited places in London over the last three years the top three are the Botanical Gardens and two museums. People travel to see palaces in the same way they travel to see museums, nothing concrete to suggest it's because of the monarchy. The pomp and performance of the changing of the guards. They're not coming to see a member of the royal family wave at them.

I do however have numbers that the Royal family cost the UK taxpayer over £100 million last year. Couple that with the extensive and gross amount of money they earn from their ownership of swathes of the country's land and properties I struggle to take "they're a net contributor because of tourism" seriously. If I steal everyone's food and charge them money so I can sit on my arse all day I don't get to sell them back the food and say "I'm actually a net contributor because I'm giving you something to eat".

Edit: that sounded harsher than I meant. I'm going to go and lie in my nest for a bit.

Denis79

Certainly she was liked by some. But I imagine there are many who have formed no opinions of her. Do you have an opinion on the Swedish monarchy?

What do you mean by wonder if theyll recover from their loss?

It feels like these questions are rhetorical in nature. If you have something to say then spit it out. Obviously you are trying to entice me into a reaction. So let's save the mental gymnastics and get to the point.
No I wasn't actually, I don't believe in monarchies either. Was genuinely asking if the British people will support the monarchy without her ruling.

Tarrou

There's actually zero evidence that this is true, let alone "significant" amounts. It's reported as fact by places like the Daily Mail but never with actual evidence. If you look at the statistics for the most visited places in London over the last three years the top three are the Botanical Gardens and two museums. People travel to see palaces in the same way they travel to see museums, nothing concrete to suggest it's because of the monarchy. The pomp and performance of the changing of the guards. They're not coming to see a member of the royal family wave at them.

I do however have numbers that the Royal family cost the UK taxpayer over £100 million last year. Couple that with the extensive and gross amount of money they earn from their ownership of swathes of the country I struggle to take "they're a net contributor because of tourism" seriously.

Edit: that sounded harsher than I meant. I'm going to go and lie in my nest for a bit.
yeah its bollocks

they have a solid PR team behind them I'll give them that, the cnuts