Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Why do people act like their elected representatives in Parliament had no significant hand in the acquiring and plunder and maintenance of Empire, and it all falls on the monarchy? (Not you just a general point)
Because back in the 17th and 18th century a lot of this was directly attributable to the monarch. Parliament only became independent truly of the monarch with George III's madness and his son's preference for chasing tail.

Charles II was responsible for setting up a company which enslaves a quarter of a million Africans, for one example.

https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/...s-of-england-relating-to-trade-in-africa-1663

Members of the Royal Family also used their positions in the House of Lords to ensure slavery was not abolished in many debates.

buchansleftleg

At this sombre time, at least we can be thankful that there will be a boost to the economy as people rush to use all the old coins and notes with the Queens head on before they become non legal tender in 30 days time.

Kopral Jono

Woke Twitter is a mess right now. It's possible to acknowledge and expose colonial abuses of power while still being sensitive to the whole situation.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
These vile and crass statements must surely be breaking forum rules? How disappointing.

If people can't be respectful they should just post nothing - says a lot about them though.
Comments like this?

I'm not prepared to debate this now with an anti-monarchist loon.
Some of the comments have been shocking, Hansi Flick style of comments. Comments questioning the over the top responses from people saying that she was one of the greatest people to every live are not shocking. There's nothing disrespectful about asking why this event, out of all the others affecting the world right now, is being treated like the worst story to happen in recent months.

Millions of people in this country are living in actual POVERTY, but this is more important than that to some people. Says a lot about them.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I'll have to ask my grandmothers if they remember any different but I don't believe they let us have a parliament in any meaningful sense. But they did preside over 24 major famines in less than 50 years, resulting in 15 million deaths while a few people very far away got very rich.

Anyway, RIP. I'm not going to pretend I'm not a bit moved by this.

EDIT: Or was that aimed at the British posters?
I loved this picture of her. RIP i wana run 2 u

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Over 70 years of service, HM the Queen showed time and time again that she was a great monarch.

And a difficult personality

She clashed with Prince Andrew

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
These vile and crass statements must surely be breaking forum rules? How disappointing.

If people can't be respectful they should just post nothing - says a lot about them though.
People are more upset that someone got banner for making vile comments than the death of an actual human being. I guess it's the new world we live in nowdays.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Over 70 years of service, HM the Queen showed time and time again that she was a great monarch.

And a difficult personality

She clashed with Prince Andrew
She still won plenty at the national level.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Parsis as well if the portrait of the Queen in Freddie Mercury's house in Bohemian Rhapsody is representative

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Woke Twitter is a mess right now. It's possible to acknowledge and expose colonial abuses of power while still being sensitive to the whole situation.
Sure, but it's hard not to respond when people claim her as being the best thing to happen to the world in the last 100 years.

cyberman

People are more upset that someone got banner for making vile comments than the death of an actual human being. I guess it's the new world we live in nowdays.
Your post is a touting dickhead. Blocked.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Why should the death of an dog or a bee not affect me more? How do you decide my level of upsetness Ayoba, how.

cyberman

Brace yourself for a month of enforced mourning, for a woman who had to be shamed into giving a shit about the death of her grandsons' mother.
Used tax payers money to defend an alleged nonce as well.
Respect.