Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Deery

Dreary
I enjoy the self righteousness of people on here giving off about the actual fecking Queen, when she devoted 70 years to working for the Country right up to her final day at the age of 96, seriously take the log out your own eye before you take the spec out someone else’s.

Carolina Red

Staff
I don't see why it would be so impossible to have them keep Balmoral/Sandringham and whatever else they have some kind of legitimate claim to have private ownership of.

But even then, normal people are forced to sell their homes and feck off elsewhere when someone decides to build a train line through it - why should these cnuts have special treatment? Nice little Compulsory Purchase order at below market rate
I believe that if it were to be done, that’s the surest way to accomplish it. The state retaining control of the crown holdings, buying them out of the duchies, and allowing them to keep their privately owned estates.

neverdie

I enjoy the self righteousness of people on here giving off about the actual fecking Queen, when she devoted 70 years to working for the Country right up to her final day at the age of 96, seriously take the log out your own eye before you take the spec out someone else’s.
is it not more to do with people having a problem with the idea that the monarchic institution implies some people are born to be better than others by virtue of noble birth right? i don't see many people having a go at the queen, as person, but at the institutionally defined role of "monarch" as concept.

Deery

Dreary
is it not more to do with people having a problem with the idea that the monarchic institution implies some people are born to be better than others by virtue of noble birth right? i don't see many people having a go at the queen, as person, but at the institutionally defined role of "monarch" as concept.
No there are many having a go at the Queen. I’m Irish and not a monarchist but even I can see she was a pretty decent person and did a lot for the peace process here.

neverdie

did a lot for the peace process here.
did she? she went on a state visit which was symbolically important but how much say did she have in that? she typically had to meet with heads of state and all kinds of people as a matter of protocol. it's not like she was there with the major government and hume and the rest ironing out a power sharing agreement.

Pickle85

did she? she went on a state visit which was symbolically important but how much say did she have in that? she typically had to meet with heads of state and all kinds of people as a matter of protocol. it's not like she was there with the major government and hume and the rest ironing out a power sharing agreement.
Not directing this at you but it's a good example of some of the lines of argument.

Queen does something positive: 'ah she doesn't have a say in it, she's told what to do.

Queen doesn't immediately dismantle the 'empire': ' why is the queen not ending colonialism?'

neverdie

Queen does something positive: 'ah she doesn't have a say in it, she's told what to do.

Queen doesn't immediately dismantle the 'empire': ' why is the queen not ending colonialism?'
yeah i get the contradiction. that's why i avoid charging the queen with much of any agency or personal responsibility. i take aim at the institution instead which seems a more practical target.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Pickle85

yeah i get the contradiction. that's why i avoid charging the queen with much of any agency or personal responsibility. i take aim at the institution instead which seems a more practical target.
Yup, agreed.

Deery

Dreary
She was big enough to shake hands with the supposedly head of the IRA which murdered her cousin that was really something and a state visit to Ireland.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In terms of colonialism, I struggle with this argument, though open to being educated. Wasnt all our colonizing done before her? Unless you think that ending colonialism is as simple as saying 'k, have it back'- a power that maybe she has in law (I don't know) but in practice couldn't exercise - I don't see how culpable she is. Her ancestors, absolutely, and it's a truly shameful part of our history.
The impacts of colonialism are still seen today. There are many ways which the Queen could have used her influence (Perhaps she wouldn't have the power) to make a more active contribution to this in terms of repatriation etc. She has benefited by being head of the commonwealth and head of state of many places which is an active role and sees her in a position of extreme privilige, one which she could have taken the initiative to remove herself from, the immense property within the UK which has been purchased with slave money etc. She is part of the monarchy. It's all well and good deflecting blame to the institution but she is part of it and is the bloody symbol of it. Does the monarchy as an institution take more blame than her as an individual? Yes. Should she be absolved of any? No.

neverdie

She was big enough to shake hands with the supposedly head of the IRA which murdered her cousin that was really something and a state visit to Ireland.
and she was also big enough to meet with gaddafi and putin and a dozen others. she met any and all heads of state which were deemed to be in the national interest by the government of the day. that's sort of the point. she did as told. that's the arrangement of constitutional monarchy. there's a very narrow spectrum for asserting the independence of the crown in practice.

TheReligion

Abusive
No there are many having a go at the Queen. I’m Irish and not a monarchist but even I can see she was a pretty decent person and did a lot for the peace process here.
I think it’s better to just accept some can’t separate the two in their own minds.

Some of what I’ve read on the Caf has been pretty disgraceful really but I expected it would be as online people have no filter or consideration for the feelings of others. Some also enjoy the ‘image’ they feel it portrays.

Personally I’m not upset. I have my own thoughts on the Monarchy and the more shameful parts of British history. That said I can be diplomatic, respectful of others and recognise there’s a time and a place for those discussions and arguments, especially given the emotion involved on both sides.

Carolina Red

Staff
and she was also big enough to meet with gaddafi and putin and a dozen others. she met any and all heads of state which were deemed to be in the national interest by the government of the day. that's sort of the point. she did as told. that's the arrangement of constitutional monarchy. there's a very narrow spectrum for asserting the independence of the crown in practice.
Unless Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams were lying, her making that visit was a big deal to them.

neverdie

Unless Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams were lying, her making that visit was a big deal to them.
don't doubt it. but unless the arrangement of constitutional monarchy has ceased to exist since its imposition, it wasn't a decision she made herself.

Deery

Dreary
This is nonsense, she didn’t just do as she was told. She took a very brave stance on something that was easily very hard to do to reconcile with the people of Ireland.

Pickle85

The impacts of colonialism are still seen today. There are many ways which the Queen could have used her influence (Perhaps she wouldn't have the power) to make a more active contribution to this in terms of repatriation etc. She has benefited by being head of the commonwealth and head of state of many places which is an active role and sees her in a position of extreme privilige, one which she could have taken the initiative to remove herself from, the immense property within the UK which has been purchased with slave money etc. She is part of the monarchy. It's all well and good deflecting blame to the institution but she is part of it and is the bloody symbol of it. Does the monarchy as an institution take more blame than her as an individual? Yes. Should she be absolved of any? No.
I disagree. I am of the mindset that she's a figurehead, filling a role in which she wields very little practical power. If she started going rogue and playing politics she'd be accused of interfering in the government's running of the country. If you're going to blame anyone for the colonial interests 'the crown' retains, blame the British government. The monarchy has a bloody legacy, no doubt there, but I just don't agree that she had the power to interfere in areas like that.

neverdie

This is nonsense, she didn’t just do as she was told. She took a very brave stance on something that was easily very hard to do to reconcile with the people of Ireland.
and you know this how? i'm basing my claim on everything we know about constitutional monarchism in the uk for the past couple of hundred years. you're basing yours on some unfounded idea that she did this of her own volition or something.

alternatively, if you think she didn't just do as she was told then you must charge her, as head of state, with the problems which brought the troubles into their worst condition during the 60s onward to begin with. and a million other things like the iraq war and so many others where technically she could have dissolved government but practically she could or would do nothing.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't think it'll be easy but the more that eventually comes out about the country being ruled by the firm and gravy stained civil servants, Andrew and who else, it will be easier to take it all in lumps rather than bite sizes at a time. Charles won't be as popular, the oldies like myself will peg it and the ordinary GenZs etcs won't relate to 'Dieu Mon Droit' forever. My bits worth. That's if anyone is left by then.
Liz Truss and the energy market will kill us all of off way before then.

Conor

She did work very hard to cover up her pedo son, to be fair. Also put a lot of effort into wearing stolen jewellery from colonies her country treated like utter shit. But most of all, she really put some time into changing absolutely nothing about the ridiculous level of inequality in her 'queendom', perpetuated by her family of dossers that milk the place, while doing absolutely nothing for it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I understand where you’re coming from, I just feel it’ll be more complicated and messy than some seem to believe, and I also believe that if you actually want it done in modern Britain, campaigning to seize all their property isn’t the most likely way to get it done, politically speaking.
The complexity or otherwise is irrelevant as it will never happen. Too many Brits love being ruled by toffs who hate them and exploit them.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Insane how blind servitude works.

A by all accounts racist, pedo supporting, genocide and massacre denying, colonizing, grifting family whose most influential figurehead of the last 70 years was a key part of covering those various crimes up is now suddenly blameless because they're not wasting oxygen. Got it.
i don’t know why the plebs don’t see it for the blessing it is when a family, appointed by god don’t forget, decides to have any kind of interaction with them, whether they deem that interaction pleasant or not.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Liz Truss and the energy market will kill us all of off way before then.
I wouldn't be too surprised, also given how much time we'll have to be surprised if Trump and Johnson get back in. One of them will want to play with a nuclear football.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I disagree. I am of the mindset that she's a figurehead, filling a role in which she wields very little practical power. If she started going rogue and playing politics she'd be accused of interfering in the government's running of the country. If you're going to blame anyone for the colonial interests 'the crown' retains, blame the British government. The monarchy has a bloody legacy, no doubt there, but I just don't agree that she had the power to interfere in areas like that.
Probably because she'd be afraid of losing the little power she held/the wealth she had inherited. She could have done things but didn't.

Deery

Dreary
and you know this how? i'm basing my claim on everything we know about constitutional monarchism in the uk for the past couple of hundred years. you're basing yours on some unfounded idea that she did this of her own volition or something.

alternatively, if you think she didn't just do as she was told then you must charge her, as head of state, with the problems which brought the troubles into their worst condition during the 60s onward to begin with. and a million other things like the iraq war and so many others where technically she could have dissolved government but practically she could or would do nothing.
If someone murdered a member of your family would you feel compelled to shake their hand just because your boss asked you to? No you wouldn’t but if you seen it as for the greater good you just might.

Deery

Dreary
She did work very hard to cover up her pedo son, to be fair. Also put a lot of effort into wearing stolen jewellery from colonies her country treated like utter shit. But most of all, she really put some time into changing absolutely nothing about the ridiculous level of inequality in her 'queendom', perpetuated by her family of dossers that milk the place, while doing absolutely nothing for it.
Will you still be working at 96 Conor?

Carolina Red

Staff
don't doubt it. but unless the arrangement of constitutional monarchy has ceased to exist since its imposition, it wasn't a decision she made herself.
That really makes no difference to me or to my point that it was well received by the likes of Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams.

neverdie

If someone murdered a member of your family would you feel compelled to shake their hand just because your boss asked you to? No you wouldn’t but if you seen it as for the greater good you just might.
if the ritual head of state exists to give a ritual blessing to events which the government demands, or requests, be blessed, and said head of state does not do that, then constitutional monarchy does not work. so yes, i'd say she felt compelled to shake their hand because that's what the job title implies.

neverdie

That really makes no difference to me or to my point that it was well received by the likes of Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams.
nor does it make any difference to my point that she didn't decide to do it of her own volition.

Boycott

Not a fan of a monarchy and my personal wish has been that once she passes so should go the institution. However I didn't dislike her at any point. She was there years before I was born and my entire lifetime since. And yet she was still someone who kept herself private. That one constant in a world of total change and upheavel was in a way something simple to step back and take everything in its stride.

David Attenborough once said the allure of the monarchy was that it was like a mysterious tribe whom nobody on the outside should be allowed to see on the inside. Because once they do the mystery is gone and people see they do all the things everyone else does. So there goes the enigma. The queen did her best to keep the institution private. It will not be the same now the man whose life has played out in the tabloids for four decades will be king. That's something I think will hasten the demise of the institition.