Quotes about Paul Scholes

Ole_Gunnar

Brwned off Redcafe -'You always hear the old cliché about how people like Ronaldo and Kaka are the players you go to a football match to watch, they're the real entertainers, but you never hear it about Scholes'.

'I'd much rather watch Scholes play than Kaka or Ronaldo, honestly'.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Brwned off Redcafe -'You always hear the old cliché about how people like Ronaldo and Kaka are the players you go to a football match to watch, they're the real entertainers, but you never hear it about Scholes'.

'I'd much rather watch Scholes play than Kaka or Ronaldo, honestly'.
:D

mu77

my friend holds ST's and his brother goes to a match a yr maybe two but plays the game and understands it very well. well tonight i called around midnight his time GMT (5 hrs earlier here) and we got to talking about the boro game and his brother mentioned to him how scholesy put the match together for UNITED and how easy he made it look. the guy is something very special , and we're all very lucky to have him play for the club. he very rarely disappoints and is a true legend. i hope he bangs a couple in when i'm there for the everton match.

hats off to our ginger prince!

Merman

Not really a quote or from a superstar, but nice to see a youngster trying to follow the master

Jamie O'Hara is hoping to emulate Paul Scholes and become Tottenham's version of the Manchester United legend.

A young O'Hara kept a close eye on Scholes as the 34-year-old established himself as one of the country's most devastating players with United.

Scholes has so far scored 137 goals from midfield and now O'Hara wants to perform the same role for Spurs.

The 22-year-old has already sought advice from the former England international having faced him in an FA Cup tie last season and a goalless draw at White Hart Lane earlier this month.

"I always talk about Scholes," O'Hara told the Daily Mirror. "He's my idol.

"It was Scholes or Guti - they were the two I watched all the time.
Advice

"I had a quick word with Scholes before the United game. You see him come on and you think, 'bloody hell, here we go.'

"I just said, 'how are you?' and told him I've still got his shirt from when I played at Old Trafford.

"He said just to keep doing well. It's nice to hear that from such an established player as Paul Scholes - and that he actually knows who I am."

O'Hara has already struck twice this season and will hope to hold down a regular place as he bids to boost that tally.

"I set myself a goals target of double figures," he added.

"I've played as that attacking midfielder and I see myself as a player who can score goals and get myself in the box."

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
Scholes is the only genuine number 10 England has ever produced, was able to maintain foothold in the premiership even when the game was more physical and among his contemporaries only Zidane would've done better in a midfield partnership with Keane.

Had he played in Italy or Spain he would've been rated far more higher and won atleast couple of Ballon Dors.

reddevilcanada

Didn't he almost get rejected and told he won't make it at United as a kid because he couldn't play longer than 15 minutes without having to take a break and use his inhaler? Thank feck Fergie was there to make sure no such stupid decision was ever made.

Him and Giggsy are Fergie's best two players imo.

The Azzurri

Was surfing around in youtube and come across this compilation. Worth a watch.

The Azzurri

The only thing that i can only criticised him is his tackling. After all these years, he still hasn't mastered the art of tacking.

The Azzurri

9 minutes of Paul Scholes goals for your viewing pleasure. Quality a bit shite though

The Azzurri

ther is not many that is better than paul scholes at what he does and i doubt united will be the same when he leaves, it worries me! he changed the game against boro he controls the tempo effortlessly.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
ther is not many that is better than paul scholes at what he does and i doubt united will be the same when he leaves, it worries me! he changed the game against boro he controls the tempo effortlessly.
his passing was amazing as usual, great player.

The Law of Denis

Vieira on Scholes

Patrick Vieira has surprisingly revealed that Paul Scholes was one of the toughest opponents he faced while wearing an Arsenal jersey.

Talking to former Bayern Munich player Stefan Effenberg on Ford’s Feel Football programme, the France captain revealed:

"One that may surprise you is (Paul) Scholes - because I never knew how to mark him.
"This guy is really clever - he can play one touch, two touches - so it's really difficult to get to him at the right time to try to get the ball. I would have said he's one of the tough players I had to face because by the time you get to him the ball is gone already.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The only thing that i can only criticised him is his tackling. After all these years, he still hasn't mastered the art of tacking.
But he's still very good at defending.

I hate the idea that Scholes couldn't defend, it's just not the case.

Name Changed

weso26
Scholes was always very good at getting back and making challenges and interceptions without necessarily being a good tackler. His defensive abilities were certainly underrated,

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
1996-2007 the greatest midfielder of his generation barring Zidane.

Sums up his quality.

However his only glitch being a bit off color in the international football but with the English national team being managed by clowns doubt any other top brass midfielder would've done better.

GodlovesUnited

Just a matter of opinion.
But it's not. Scholes has been the most skilled midfielder in england over the last decade, but he was never the best player of his time like ronaldo (brazil) or zidane were. It's a matter of opinion to debate whether zidane was better than ronaldo or vice versa.

Justin

But it's not. Scholes has been the most skilled midfielder in england over the last decade, but he was never the best player of his time like ronaldo (brazil) or zidane were. It's a matter of opinion to debate whether zidane was better than ronaldo or vice versa.
Zidane and Ronaldo always had the bigger reputation and there's no doubt who the media likes more. In terms of sheer footballing ability, it really isn't as clear cut as people make it out to be.

GodlovesUnited

Zidane and Ronaldo always had the bigger reputation and there's no doubt who the media likes more. In terms of sheer footballing ability, it really isn't as clear cut as people make it out to be.
Scholes was a brilliant passer and shooter and has always had the ability to create that yard of space he needed to keep possession, but he just wasn't as good as zidane.

Longlivekeano

In Sharpey's autobiography, he mentioned how the United bosses were on the verge of letting Scholesey leave because the was too small sized. Remeber, this was the steel-like United 0f 1994 with characters like Eric, Bruce, Pally, Incey, Robbo, Hughsey, Scmikes, Keano. All fearsome characters.

However, it was a particualr training game between the Reserves and First 11 that seemed to convince people that Scholesey was definitely possessed the clibre to break into the brilliant 1994 side. Sharpey mentioned that this wee Ginger head fella kept banging in screamer after screamer against the first team. The first teamers then kinda realized he was special and the rest as they say is history.

Paul Scholes took his opportunity with both hands as a stand-in during Eric's absence as a centre forward and managed to get into double figures. Has never loked back since although he was given a central midfield berth. Seemed to remember that Butty managed to get into the midfield berth earlier than Scholey though although Scholes slowly displaced Butty as the first choice for central midfield partnership together with Keane.

There is another story about Scholesey in the youth team. A rival fan kept giving him stick as he was too small sized and shouted at Eric Harrison taht all he had was a little runt. A few minutes later, Scholsey almost burst the net with another of his thunder bolt and Eric Harrison calmly replied to the abusive fan, "that's why he's at United"

Ole_Gunnar

Landmark Beckons for Paul Scholes

Sir Alex Ferguson has paid tribute to Paul Scholes ahead of what could be the midfielder's 600th appearance for Manchester United.

Scholes made his Red Devils debut as a 19-year-old against Port Vale in 1994 and he is now on the verge of joining a select group, with only Bill Foulkes, Sir Bobby Charlton and Ryan Giggs having played more often.
The 34-year-old may reach his latest milestone in the home game against Portsmouth on Wednesday and Ferguson admits he has never come close to leaving Old Trafford.
"Funnily enough we have never had one enquiry for Paul Scholes," said the United boss. "You know why? Because they all know he will never leave.
"Maybe he has had private situations where people have begged him to join them because that is how it happens with agents phoning up and all that nonsense.
"But they all know he wouldn't leave here."
Wonderful

Ferguson believes Scholes is one of the best players he has worked with during his time in charge of the club, having shown his quality again in the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Everton on Sunday.
"At United, you can go back to the Best, Law and Charlton era," said Ferguson. "Before that you have Duncan Edwards.
"You are talking a wide panorama of players. But in my time he would be in the top six or seven without a doubt.
"His contribution and quality have been great, even without the fantastic goals he has scored.
"When he came on against Everton on Sunday, his first touch was better than anyone else's had been in the whole previous hour.
"He has that wonderful velvet touch on the ball. When he gets it, it goes stone dead. It is wonderful to see that amidst all the mayhem that can happen in a football match." The Scotsman added "I just love Paul - yes, in a gay way"

Doogie

Sir Bobby Charlton in the Sun April 22, 2009

“Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Ferguson era.

“And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he’ll find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce a decisive volley.

“When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He’s always on the ball. He’s always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill.”

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
I did too.

And what makes me smile is that no other teams have asked for Paul Scholes.

My favourite player ever. He made me a United Supporter.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Not really a quote or from a superstar, but nice to see a youngster trying to follow the master
Jamie O'Hara is hoping to emulate Paul Scholes and become Tottenham's version of the Manchester United legend.

A young O'Hara kept a close eye on Scholes as the 34-year-old established himself as one of the country's most devastating players with United.

Scholes has so far scored 137 goals from midfield and now O'Hara wants to perform the same role for Spurs.

"I always talk about Scholes," O'Hara told the Daily Mirror. "He's my idol.

"It was Scholes or Guti - they were the two I watched all the time.
That's just so wrong in so many ways

Merman

Scholes is the only genuine number 10 England has ever produced, was able to maintain foothold in the premiership even when the game was more physical and among his contemporaries only Zidane would've done better in a midfield partnership with Keane.

Had he played in Italy or Spain he would've been rated far more higher and won atleast couple of Ballon Dors.
Well said mate.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Bump, was reading an interview with Socrates and he said this

"Socrates was asked about what he thought of English football. It was such an open-ended question that he could have answered anything.

"Paul Scho-les," smiled the father of six, whose youngest is three. "Good enough to play for Brazil. I love to watch Scho-les, to see him pass, the boy with the red hair and the red shirt.""

Laphroaig

Saha's twitter: "Sneijder to replace Scholes. Little Genius will never be replace by anyone. A one and only genius. ... We are all Unique but if u know Scholes and really look at what is done. He s just The genius. Despite anyone comin after."

Twitter
Twitter

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Saha's twitter: "Sneijder to replace Scholes. Little Genius will never be replace by anyone. A one and only genius. ... We are all Unique but if u know Scholes and really look at what is done. He s just The genius. Despite anyone comin after."
I think he maybe saying that Scholes is a genius.

Laphroaig

Well, obviously. For context: He's commenting on the rumour that Sneijder will replace Scholes, not saying that he will, but saying that he can't.

MacMUFC

Wow, he seems quite affectionate towards us judging by his Twitter account doesnt he? Great to see really. About 50% of his Tweets are United related.

Laphroaig

Wow, he seems quite affectionate towards us judging by his Twitter account doesnt he? Great to see really. About 50% of his Tweets are United related.
Indeed. Good to see he's fond memories despite all the injuries. I've fond memories of him too. 06/07 he was bloody fantastic.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hernandez gives us what we missed with Saha leaving, pace up front with dangerous finishing off either foot. If only he'd had a better fitness record, he was a natural fit for our side at the time.