Race for top 4 | Finito.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah but there’s no reason why Spurs should overtake us. Technically every team below us could but they won’t.
Spurs only have 9 games left after tomorrow. I don’t even think they’ll get European football of any kind
I think Spurs looked decent when Conte was off sick and so assuming they get a new manager bounce of some sort that in itself is a reason.

Spurs also have us to play at their home ground as well and our away form against the top sides is shocking.

Roboc7

Spurs will too. It’s the same every season for the top four. I didn’t see this dip coming, but I also didn’t see us spending a game with 10 men and then four games without Casemiro.

Anyone worried about Liverpool must have been severely scarred by the last 5 years :lol:
Well it’s between three teams, none of whom are very good and will all drop points. We currently look like worst of the three but that will change from game to gnaw I’m sure. At one point it looked like a no brainier we’d get top 4 now it’s wide open and that’s why there is some panic.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Yeah let's just focus on the Europa League where we have to beat some good teams in 3 rounds rather than not crap the bed, realise we're top 4 with a game in hand with feckin Tottenham chasing us.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Top 4 is now a dog fight and these Utd players are not the type of players you want in a dog fight.

Just hoping Spurs will be Spurs and mess up.

But if Liverpool were somehow get a run going I can see them catching us as I think we will cave under the pressure of a tight finish.
Liverpool? Really? This thread is hilarious.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fixture list to finish the season will be telling and we'll be comfortable in the end IMO. Definitely a blip for now though. Brighton is probably in with a shout too, they've played at a top 4 level but just haven't gotten enough results and I feel they won't get in. Too much effort to do this for them as well.

United games remaining. 6 home (3 vs top half), 5 away (2 vs top half).
  • Brentford (home) - 7th
  • Everton (home) - 18th
  • Forest (away) - 15th
  • Chelsea (home) - 11th
  • Spurs (away) - 5th
  • Villa (home) - 9th
  • Brighton (away) - 6th
  • West Ham (away) - 14th
  • Wolves (home) - 13th
  • Bournemouth (away) - 16th
  • Fulham (home) - 10th
Newcastle games remaining. 5 home (3 vs top half), 6 away (2 vs top half)
  • West Ham (away) - 14th
  • Brighton (home) - 6th
  • Brentford (away) - 7th
  • Villa (away) - 9th
  • Spurs (home) - 5th
  • Everton (away) - 18th
  • Southampton (home) - 20th
  • Arsenal (home) - 1st
  • Leeds (away) - 17th
  • Leicester (home) - 19th
  • Chelsea (away) - 11th
Tottenham games remaining. 5 home (3 vs top half), 5 away (3 vs top half)
  • Everton (away) - 18th
  • Brighton (home) - 6th
  • Bournemouth (home) - 16th
  • Newcastle (away) - 3rd
  • United (home) - 4th
  • Liverpool (away) - 8th
  • Palace (home) - 12th
  • Villa (away) - 9th
  • Brentford (home) - 7th
  • Leeds (away) - 17th

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
We should probably win the next 3 which would give us good cushion. We are definitely losing at Spurs and Brighton so it’d be nice to extend the lead before we go there.
Why would you assume you are definitely losing at Spurs and Brighton? The latter is a solid side and that game could go either way. Spurs are Spurs - if you play at a relatively high level you will beat them at home - you have more talent and a better manager.

Some people really overreact after each match. It is 99% you get top 4 - only question is if it will be 3rd or 4th. The teams behind you are not world beaters.

The Dane

Someone who has been playing at top level or been an elite athlete has to tell me how players can be drained of energy after a full week off and prior to that either an additional week off or having played a couple of games against the likes of Moldova and Lichtenstein. If lack of energy was the problem today, as it looked from outside, then we might as well throw in the towel.

Dominos

It really does baffle me how some were so arrogant to think this was done and dusted.

If we bottle this it really will be embarrassing. Not qualifying for CL sets us back years in terms of our development and finances

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It really does baffle me how some were so arrogant to think this was done and dusted.

If we bottle this it really will be embarrassing. Not qualifying for CL sets us back years in terms of our development and finances
Arsenal shows that isn't always the case.

Dan_F

Well it’s between three teams, none of whom are very good and will all drop points. We currently look like worst of the three but that will change from game to gnaw I’m sure. At one point it looked like a no brainier we’d get top 4 now it’s wide open and that’s why there is some panic.
We don’t look worse than Spurs, who incidentally play Brighton, Newcastle, us and Liverpool in April alone.

Obviously the manner of the performances are a concern, but I guess people are a bit more pessimistic than me. Losing to Liverpool in a freak result, then the Southampton and Newcastle results without Casemiro are no big surprise to me. We all knew the midfield is in serious trouble without Eriksen and Casemiro.

Chief123

25 of our 37 goals conceded have been in just 6 games against 6 of the top 9 teams.

Chief123

A premature meltdown? Hardly.
Saying it’s impossible to get top 4 now is a meltdown. An irrational one.

Who is getting top instead of us considering it’s impossible for us now?

bosnian_red

Why would you assume you are definitely losing at Spurs and Brighton? The latter is a solid side and that game could go either way. Spurs are Spurs - if you play at a relatively high level you will beat them at home - you have more talent and a better manager.

Some people really overreact after each match. It is 99% you get top 4 - only question is if it will be 3rd or 4th. The teams behind you are not world beaters.
Fair to assume we'll get fecked away vs the top half the way we have played this season, it's a mental thing at this point. But I think we'll do well in the remaining games.

Saying it’s impossible to get top 4 now is a meltdown. An irrational one.

Who is getting top instead of us considering it’s impossible for us now?
"Almost impossible to secure".

I'm not gonna rule either Spurs or Liverpool out. I'm not saying it'll be easy snatching the spot from us. I know everyone's form at the moment is bit rubbish, but at the end of the day it's still football. Anything can happen. There's still just about ten more games left of the season. Roughly 30 or so points to play for.

But it's dire only having a 4 goals goal difference.

Dominos

Why would you assume you are definitely losing at Spurs and Brighton?
The same reason anyone with sense assumed we'd lose today.

We're a bit shit, and shit teams tend to do badly away vs top half teams.

There's no "definitely" of course, but some things are utterly predictable.

RedRocket9908

After these last few performances ive lost all the confidence I had in us getting top 4, we have difficult fixtures coming up like Brentford at home and Spurs away which we'll probably lose.

0 goals and only 5 shots on target in our last 180 minutes of Football in the Premier League is quite grim and shows we are severely lacking at the front to be honest.

Chief123

I'm not gonna rule either Spurs or Liverpool out. I'm not saying it'll be easy snatching the spot from us. I know everyone's form at the moment is bit rubbish, but at the end of the day it's still football. Anything can happen. There's still just about ten more games left of the season. Roughly 30 or so points to play for.

I don’t see Liverpool getting top 4 now considering they have Arsenal and Chelsea coming up.

The only team that can threaten top 4 is spurs. That is why a new manager bounce is a worry because if Conte was still there I’d be confident we have top 4 in the bag. Without his meltdowns it actually gives spurs a fighting chance now.

bosnian_red

Goal difference is irrelevant. We struggle in a specific section of games and it kills those stats.
Look at this and tell me we aren't favourites for 3rd:
Fixture list to finish the season will be telling and we'll be comfortable in the end IMO. Definitely a blip for now though. Brighton is probably in with a shout too, they've played at a top 4 level but just haven't gotten enough results and I feel they won't get in. Too much effort to do this for them as well.

United games remaining. 6 home (3 vs top half), 5 away (2 vs top half).
  • Brentford (home) - 7th
  • Everton (home) - 18th
  • Forest (away) - 15th
  • Chelsea (home) - 11th
  • Spurs (away) - 5th
  • Villa (home) - 9th
  • Brighton (away) - 6th
  • West Ham (away) - 14th
  • Wolves (home) - 13th
  • Bournemouth (away) - 16th
  • Fulham (home) - 10th
Newcastle games remaining. 5 home (3 vs top half), 6 away (2 vs top half)
  • West Ham (away) - 14th
  • Brighton (home) - 6th
  • Brentford (away) - 7th
  • Villa (away) - 9th
  • Spurs (home) - 5th
  • Everton (away) - 18th
  • Southampton (home) - 20th
  • Arsenal (home) - 1st
  • Leeds (away) - 17th
  • Leicester (home) - 19th
  • Chelsea (away) - 11th
Tottenham games remaining. 5 home (3 vs top half), 5 away (3 vs top half)
  • Everton (away) - 18th
  • Brighton (home) - 6th
  • Bournemouth (home) - 16th
  • Newcastle (away) - 3rd
  • United (home) - 4th
  • Liverpool (away) - 8th
  • Palace (home) - 12th
  • Villa (away) - 9th
  • Brentford (home) - 7th
  • Leeds (away) - 17th

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
A little bit worried about top four. We are so desperate for a proper goal scorer and someone of a similar ilk to Casemiro as we look toothless without him.

We still have the EL QF, FA Cup SF, and a good chance at making top four so Im still in a positive mindset. :angel:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Next 2 games are huge. Dreading Brentford, they'll be a nightmare for us on set pieces.

We're playing so poorly the wheels could come off and we could end the season like last.

Woziak

I think we need to be rational in our thinking we are on an awful run, not much depth, injuries are awful and we need Casemeiro back, we basically need 4 points out of the next two games and in his return changes the whole perspective of the game.

I think Newcastle will end up third with 72/73 points, looked at run in no other games they should be fine, Spurs are spurs and could implode but also could produce some great performances I think they end up with 69/70 points and then I think Liverpool will get their act together and get 28 points from last 11 games giving them 70 points, All these teams have far superior goal differences to us and we have 6 home games and 5 away games. Assuming we can carry on our home form and get at least 13 points from 6 home games, we need 3 away wins from 5 difficult away games to finish on 72 points which guarantees Top 4, so we need to win 7 matches, draw 1 or 2, lose 2 or 3 games which is what I think we will crawl our way too but let’s be clear here we will be 20 points behind the PL champions.

And the quicker the Glaziers leave our club the better, even their parasitic delay to finally relinquishing power is like a dark cloud around the sky that lingers and never disappears.

James35

25 of our 37 goals conceded have been in just 6 games against 6 of the top 9 teams.
2 of our remaining 5 away are v Brighton and Spurs. I could see us losing both of them convincingly also.

At least we only need 9 points from 33 to beat last seasons points total.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am not worried. Yet. But if we fail to win next 3 games (and other teams win their games) then i will be slightly worried.

Telsim

Arsenal shows that isn't always the case.
Arsenal aren't a billion in debt and don't have owners that have taken just as much out of the club. Adidas will slash the sponsorship money if we fail to qualify for the CL in a second consecutive season, aside from not getting the actual money for qualifying. We have a bunch of players on super high wages that are unsaleable, and a bunch of others that we will be lucky to get 30 million quid for. Not to mention not playing in the CL again makes the club far less attractive to players.

We are in a heap of trouble if we don't make top 4, financially most of all.

Leftback99

Arsenal aren't a billion in debt and don't have owners that have taken just as much out of the club. Adidas will slash the sponsorship money if we fail to qualify for the CL in a second consecutive season, aside from not getting the actual money for qualifying. We have a bunch of players on super high wages that are unsaleable, and a bunch of others that we will be lucky to get 30 million quid for. Not to mention not playing in the CL again makes the club far less attractive to players.

We are in a heap of trouble if we don't make top 4, financially most of all.
Yep, it's vital.

TopDog

Supports
Bolton
A little bit worried about top four. We are so desperate for a proper goal scorer and someone of a similar ilk to Casemiro as we look toothless without him.

We still have the EL QF, FA Cup SF, and a good chance at making top four so Im still in a positive mindset. :angel:
The top 2 teams have goal-scorers throughout their front line and midfield, so if someone is off, then others step up. If Rashford doesn’t pull something out of a hat, Utd are relying on dross like Weghorst and Sancho. Someone like Kane is a must for next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Usual suspects hilariously over exaggerating a bad day at the office.

A decent run of fixtures is up next, next 2 being at home, we'll hit back.

Bad result for Liverpool today. Makes their mission much harder than having a definite way into 4th.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Usual suspects hilariously over exaggerating a bad day at the office.

A decent run of fixtures is up next, next 2 being at home, we'll hit back.

Bad result for Liverpool today. Makes their mission much harder than having a definite way into 4th.
That was my thinking too :D

Suv666

Its ridiculous thinking Liverpool can make top four. They are fecking awful have you guys not seen them play not to mention they are 8 points behind us.

We have a easy fixture list so we should be
able to sneak in but a win today would have sealed the deal.

Leftback99

Its ridiculous thinking Liverpool can make top four. They are fecking awful have you guys not seen them play not to mention they are 8 points behind us.

We have a easy fixture list so we should be
able to sneak in but a win today would have sealed the deal.
The only thing we have on them is a points advantage. Performance wise we're arguably worse right now.

Make our home games count and they won't be a threat. Drop points this week and we're opening the door with harder games to come.

DownRiver

People are worried about Liverpool? Brighton are playing amazing and are mostly likely to compete for 4th place.

Speaking of Brighton, they will play 2x as good as Newcastle in the FA cup - not looking good unless the players fix up and we get injured players back.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

We have lost to every good team we have faced away from home in the league. Brighton are in great form and Spurs are bound to pick up some form now that Conte is gone. We could maybe get a draw at Spurs but I’m 100% sure we will lose at Brighton and won’t be surprised if it’s another 4-0 drubbing.