Race for top 4 | Finito.

Cloud7

At least Spurs Spurs'd it up to take some of the sting away from our loss

Mr. Robot

You lot and your top 4. It’s really not the end of the world IF we have new owners come May/June.

With that said, we will finish 3rd so it’s all moot.

Varane, Casemiro, Eriksen all to come back :drool:

Real Name

That was not the conversation a few weeks before the internationals. The goalposts are moving rapidly. The talk was on chasing down City, maybe even an outside crack at the title.

Spurs should be getting their new manager burst, much like Utd did with ETH. They will want that fourth spot and the money that goes with it. Rashford, Varane and Casemiro can't carry Utd each and every game.
Hows Liverpool season going on?

Real Name

I'm sure you thought we'd beat Southampton, Leeds and Palace recently too.

We had an 8 point lead over Newcastle and we've blown it. It's shambolic.

If we scrape top 4 it will be very, very ugly and we'll be relying a lot on Spurs being shit.
Or I dont know we'll rely on us winning games.
Crazy I know.

cyberman

I'm sure you thought we'd beat Southampton, Leeds and Palace recently too.

We had an 8 point lead over Newcastle and we've blown it. It's shambolic.

If we scrape top 4 it will be very, very ugly and we'll be relying a lot on Spurs being shit.
We did beat Leeds and Palace recently.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Or I dont know we'll rely on us winning games.
Crazy I know.
Now Spurs are above us are you going to admit you were wrong about them beating City being a good result for us?

I remember you and others were having a go at me at the time for saying otherwise.

Real Name

Now Spurs are above us are you going to admit you were wrong about them beating City being a good result for us?

I remember you and others were having a go at me at the time for saying otherwise.
Same amount of points and they we have 2 games in hand...

Leftback99

Same amount of points and they we have 2 games in hand...
And that's better than 2/3 points ahead is it?

I'll just take it as a yes. It's ok to admit you were wrong sometimes. (it was obvious at the time)

red_de_pologne

You lot and your top 4. It’s really not the end of the world IF we have new owners come May/June.

he doesn't need to come back, he just played in our last game?

Our next 3 league games are Brentford, Everton and Nottingham, has to be 9 points.

Real Name

And that's better than 2/3 points ahead is it?

I'll just take it as a yes. It's ok to admit you were wrong sometimes. (it was obvious at the time)
I wasnt wrong and I didnt admit anything. At that time we had a cushion and my logic was its always better to look up than worry whats below. I dont know whats with some of you which go from panic to panic all the time.
Spurs are incosistent and if we can muster 6 points in the next 2 games we'll be well or you're worry about Spurs till the last day of the season?

gajender

he doesn't need to come back, he just played in our last game?

Our next 3 league games are Brentford, Everton and Nottingham, has to be 9 points.
If we get 9 points from next 3 league games we should cruise to top four , 66 points should be enough for Champions league football next season might even get third as well .

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If we get 9 points from next 3 league games we should cruise to top four , 66 points should be enough for Champions league football next season might even get third as well .
it will put as in a good position, but it, of course, doesn't guarantee anything, and if we play on Wednesday, as we did on Sunday, then Brentford will do us (if i was a betting man, I'd put a tenner on Ivan Toney to score at least one). Also we have to take into account that yet again we'll be playing three games in seven days pretty much all of this month if we get past Sevilla.

by the way, does anyone know if we are playing the first leg of the Europa because it was drawn that way or are we still being penalised for coming second in our group?

Real Name

it will put as in a good position, but it, of course, doesn't guarantee anything, and if we play on Wednesday, as we did on Sunday, then Brentford will do us (if i was a betting man, I'd put a tenner on Ivan Toney to score at least one). Also we have to take into account that yet again we'll be playing three games in seven days pretty much all of this month if we get past Sevilla.

by the way, does anyone know if we are playing the first leg of the Europa because it was drawn that way or are we still being penalised for coming second in our group?
It was drawn.
We were 'penalised' with playing one extra round and that was against Barcelona.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Spurs were really really bad yesterday. Not only were we on top before Doucoure got sent off, we were on top after they scored and we had 10 men. Makes the game so much more frustrating as we had a massive chance to win without that stupid and reckless moment from Doucoure.

Leftback99

I wasnt wrong and I didnt admit anything. At that time we had a cushion and my logic was its always better to look up than worry whats below. I dont know whats with some of you which go from panic to panic all the time.
Spurs are incosistent and if we can muster 6 points in the next 2 games we'll be well or you're worry about Spurs till the last day of the season?
:lol:

cyberman

You’re the last to be hysterically laughing on here. How, in this weekend of all weekends, you’re posting I told you so nonsense is beyond me.
Spurs beating City doesnt matter a feck because Spurs are shit. The hysterical part is you thinking they’d use that as a platform to make a top 4 run

kthanksbye

Once we have Eriksen and Case back fit and playing, we should be fine for top 4, Spurs are not playing well at all, in fact, I believe we can still finish 3rd.

Shiva87

Oh it is. I rather watch Champions League than Europa League for another year!

Leftback99

You’re the last to be hysterically laughing on here. How, in this weekend of all weekends, you’re posting I told you so nonsense is beyond me.
Spurs beating City doesnt matter a feck because Spurs are shit. The hysterical part is you thinking they’d use that as a platform to make a top 4 run
Simple question (you'll still struggle like the other poster did)

Is it better for our top 4 chances to be level on points with Spurs or 2/3 in front?

Leftback99

This smiley is basically how you function from day to day.

Imagine going to posts from few months ago to prove some non existant point. Sad.
I just find posters who are quick to pile on and have a go but can never admit they were wrong later down the line hilarious.

Real Name

I just find posters who are quick to pile on and have a go but can never admit they were wrong later down the line hilarious.
On the other hand I find posters who hold a grudge for a few months and then get back to previous posts even more hilarious and sad.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Only if you're blind to context, which you obviously seem to be.
What context is that? The fact Spurs have binned their manager in the middle of a turbulent season or that Newcastle were a relegation candidate mid way through last year? Or that we were 7 points clear of both of them a few weeks ago?

Mainoldo

We need to win tomorrow for me to have faith we can stretch a lead over Newcastle.

I can see them dropping points to Brentford weekend.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea will obviously finished 1..1.. yes first. :)

feck Newcastle and Spurs. You better finish above them.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What about finishing just below Newcastle. Is that all right?
I mean I’d still question what we’re playing at but if we get top 4 that’s obviously acceptable after last season.

But what I want to see from a manager is a great style of play and getting the best out of what we have. I think ETH has done a good job improving some of our players, but you’d have to question whether he’s getting the best out of what we have if we finish below a team who have, in my opinion, a much inferior squad than us.

The cups are also important as I think it’d be excusable to finish below Newcastle if we went really far in the other cups, given that’s obviously going to strain your league campaign and they’re a side not in Europe.

sallycinnamin

We need to win tomorrow for me to have faith we can stretch a lead over Newcastle.

I can see them dropping points to Brentford weekend.
I can also see them maybe dropping points vs West Ham tomorrow. Obviously the onus is on us to win both of our two home games, whilst they have two very tough away games.

Real Name

I mean I’d still question what we’re playing at but if we get top 4 that’s obviously acceptable after last season.

But what I want to see from a manager is a great style of play and getting the best out of what we have. I think ETH has done a good job improving some of our players, but you’d have to question whether he’s getting the best out of what we have if we finish below a team who have, in my opinion, a much inferior squad than us.

The cups are also important as I think it’d be excusable to finish below Newcastle if we went really far in the other cups, given that’s obviously going to strain your league campaign and they’re a side not in Europe.
Yeah but I think what the poster meant about the context is we had our fair share of problems. As you said he made some players better but there's still room for improvement and we're a still a team in the works and will be for some time. I wouldnt say Newcastle's team is much inferior but each on their own. I just meant if we finish below them and they're 3rd and we're 4th we're all right. Of course if we finish below then and they're 5th that wont be good. :)

Crimson King

What context is that? The fact Spurs have binned their manager in the middle of a turbulent season or that Newcastle were a relegation candidate mid way through last year? Or that we were 7 points clear of both of them a few weeks ago?
What about the fact that we've had to play the whole season without a striker (I don't count Wout)? Spurs have Kane, who's on course to become the record PL goalscorer. Just having that means they keep getting points where they shouldn't, where we wouldn't, despite everything going on behind the scenes there. There's also some good players in that squad besides him.

Newcastle were a relegation candidate last year, then they were bought by Saudi Arabia... They've invested heavily since then, and arguably have a far more balanced squad than we do. They play a very simple style of energetic, pressing football, which means the drop off from first XI to squad stand in isn't as big. Even then, they really struggled without Bruno G and Isaac when they were both out, arguably their two best attacking players alongside Trippier, and Wilson was off form. Just the fact they have two very capable PL strikers, who would both start ahead of Wout, means they've been able to knick goals and points where we've struggled.

And let's not forget that neither of those teams have any other competitions to worry about. Newcastle didn't have Europe at all to think about, which has given then a huge advantage in terms of prepping for their big PL matches.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but it's incredibly unfair on EtH to completely discredit these things. We spent a lot of money in the summer, and all those players have been instrumental in getting us this far. Even the much maligned Anthony has offered more from RW than Sancho or Elanga ever have. That's just highlighted how poor and uneven the recruitment has been in previous seasons. Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, VdB (injured all season, so didn't even get to see if he could have been useful in EtH's system. Probably would have made a better false 9 experiment than Wout) to name a few - all wasted money.

If we fail to get top 4 this season I'll only ask questions of the owners, the board, and the players who constantly let the team down. EtH has managed to work around a lot of issues, but he's not a miracle worker. Do you think we'd be any higher up the table with Pep in charge of this team?

Besides, the only reason United, Spurs, and Newcastle are even anywhere near top 4 this season is because both Chelsea and Liverpool are having an identity crisis. We'd all be battling it out for 5th/6th otherwise, which is probably a better reflection of this squad's overall ability.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Reasonable objectives last summer after a disastrous season (in this order)

• Improvement in our playing style - foundations built for progress
  • Fight for and/or finish top 4
  • Win a trophy
We have achieved the first and third already, and are highly likely to achieve the second. We may even excel and win 1 or 2 more trophies

Still so many complain. The drama queen's and people who lose their sh*t after every setback are ruining this forum. Context is everything

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Reasonable objectives last summer after a disastrous season (in this order)

• Improvement in our playing style - foundations built for progress
  • Fight for and/or finish top 4
  • Win a trophy
We have achieved the first and third already, and are highly likely to achieve the second. We may even excel and win 1 or 2 more trophies

Still so many complain. The drama queen's and people who lose their sh*t after every setback are ruining this forum. Context is everything
This is true. You were bad last season, losing 4-0 to Watford for example, now your performances are much better as a whole. You need a couple more decent signings, if you had signed a top forward in the summer you’d be up with the top 2. Whatever happens, the turn around has been phenomenal. Hope that happens for my team *cough**cough*

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Thank god Spurs fecked up. We have two games in hand and although we play a massive amount of games still we have arguably the easiest schedule in the PL between the 3. Newcastle also still have to play Spurs and so do we. I honestly don't see it going wrong for us once we get our guys back. Fingers crossed we stay healthy though. We can't afford to lose anyone at this stage.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Huge blow for Spurs that was.
Yes, they're above us, but if we can put our next 2 home games to bed, they'll find it hard to return from that now.

Liverpool are needing title winning form from here. 2 places available, and 3 teams 8 points ahead - two of them with the same games played.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So in order the next few United and Spurs games are:

United v Brentford (H)
United v Everton (H)
Spurs v Brighton (H)
Spurs v Bournemouth (H)
United v Forrest (a)
Spurs v Newcastle (a)
Spurs v United
United v Villa (H)
Spurs v Liverpool (a)
United v Brighton (a).

Beating Brentford and Everton next would be massive. We'd be six points clear of Spurs with the same amount of games played and they'd then have to play both Brighton and Newcastle (the two teams directly above/below us at the moment) before we get to our head to head clash.

sugar_kane

I'm surprised about to see the levels of confidence around the next couple of games. Yes they're at home but Brentford are a good, high energy team and Everton are starting to pick up points again. We on the other hand look absolutely gassed, and desperately need back Casemiro, Eriksen and Garnacho.

I just hope ETH drops Wout for the next couple of games. Even if Martial isn't ready to start. Between Rashford, Pellistri, Anthony and Sancho we can cobble together a front three which would be better than any line up that includes Wout. He may work hard but his technical ability is so terrible it's a massive disadvantage to our overall game, and I think it's beginning to undermine confidence throughout the team.

Fred also absolutely has to start, the McTominay/Sabitzer pairing is a horror show.

Re: Top 4 in general I still hope Tottenham nick it ahead of Newcastle. The cognitive dissonance shown by pundits casting them as the plucky underdogs while at the same time saying Qatari ownership of Man United would destroy football is really unappetising, but also seeing the dressing room celebrations on Sunday like they'd just won the league and Howe/Burn's comments after the game sealed it. feck those guys.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Just looked at your remaining fixtures and I would guess that you'll pick up another 21 points. Should be enough for 3rd or 4th at worse.
EL win and Pot 1 in next year's CL is a strong possibility.