Race for top 4 | Finito.

CM

Not a meltdown but if we could beat all 3 of those games and City can beat Arsenal twice, then the gap gets down to 5 pts. And there is Newcastle that could do something against Arsenal, twice. Because of those double fixtures I think there is something to do for us if we keep doing the jobs
Wouldn't losing every single one of those matches constitute a bit of a meltdown for Arsenal though? They're top and 7 points clear of 2nd place, if they can't take any points off the teams around them after putting themselves in that position, that would be an awful showing on their part.

There's a lot of football to be played and if we keep winning our games, maybe we can be there or thereabouts come March or April, but that's still very much more out of hope than expectation.

Loving the optimism in this thread.
Back to top 4 race.
Arsenal, definitely points in the bag and playing well
City, definitely, sitting second and too good not to at least make top 4, may well win it.
Newcastle, no Europe and are in the top 4 with Isaak, Saint Maxim and Wilson all having long spells out already. I am really scared they will spend wisely in January and manage third or fourth.
United playing well, currently fourth but a couple of injuries and we are in trouble. Need a forward in January, don't trust the Glazer's
Liverpool, real threat for top four. Lots of injuries but hanging in there.
Spurs, looking unlikely, Conte implosion looks likely
Chelsea, not enough goals, finish seventh or eighth and Potter sacked in May

UpWithRivers

Im enthusiastic and dont want to be a negative nelly but one big negative is our attack. We need an extra 10-15 goals maybe even more. Rashford who is on fire is on 6 goals in the Prem. Like the same as Zaha and Barns. Bruno has 2. Like the same as Fred. We need all the attackers to step up plus we need another attacker that comes in and hits the ground running. We have such good forward players but they need to start hitting the net.

croadyman

Feel we desperately need some cheap cover for Casemiro and loan striker to stay there

Bondi77

Loving the optimism in this thread.
Back to top 4 race.
Arsenal, definitely points in the bag and playing well
City, definitely, sitting second and too good not to at least make top 4, may well win it.
Newcastle, no Europe and are in the top 4 with Isaak, Saint Maxim and Wilson all having long spells out already. I am really scared they will spend wisely in January and manage third or fourth.
United playing well, currently fourth but a couple of injuries and we are in trouble. Need a forward in January, don't trust the Glazer's
Liverpool, real threat for top four. Lots of injuries but hanging in there.
Spurs, looking unlikely, Conte implosion looks likely
Chelsea, not enough goals, finish seventh or eighth and Potter sacked in May
Pretty well summed up.
I suppose we have the Europa League as a slight distraction so Newcastle would be the only team that does not have Europe to worry about and I agree with the comment about Conte because I think all we will hear will be moaning in January.

Gasolin

Wouldn't losing every single one of those matches constitute a bit of a meltdown for Arsenal though? They're top and 7 points clear of 2nd place, if they can't take any points off the teams around them after putting themselves in that position, that would be an awful showing on their part.

There's a lot of football to be played and if we keep winning our games, maybe we can be there or thereabouts come March or April, but that's still very much more out of hope than expectation.
True, but I think the calendar is giving us a really strange situation in that they are 7 pts clear but have to face city 2x still and same for Newcastle. I’m hoping those teams are pumped and go for the games against Arsenal and same for us. As I said, we have to win the next 3 games and see where this takes us but it could put city in a very stressful situation. And when they are backed like that, city will probably crush Arsenal with a lot of pride just like when they passed 6 against us. That’s all I’m hoping anyway. The rest is up to Newcastle.

Witchking

Why not United, we are clearly favourites for 3rd place a it stands.
We are not at that favourites position yet. Never discount Liverpool. This Liverpool team currently has more in terms of getting the job done. They have got a new striker which might give them a boost.

Rashford, while he is going on a decent run currently, he is not the answer till the end of the season. Eth needs a proper number 9.
Martial with his injury record can't be trusted to lead the line.

We might have a decent chance at 4th if we get a new striker in Jan before it's too late.

Hope Liverpool and Newcastle fall off.

Also would be amazing to win against arsenal and city to get the team in high gear.

Nicolarra90

I have a feeling Newcastle are falling away. If they do it’s a very boring top 4 race by the looks of it.
Arsenal should drop too and suddenly we are in a title race, specially if we can get a competent CF.

Nicolarra90

How would you propose we make up the deficit? You said that it is down to 8 with half a season to go, That again pre-supposes that they lose 2 and draw 1 game, very likely, but then we go perfect the entire half season, impossible.
We literally lost a 8 pts difference in like the last 5 games in the 11/12 season.

BorisManUtd

It's of course too early but atm Spurs and Chelsea don't look capable of finishing in top 4. Transfer window might be key though and I hope we get a striker, even on loan, as it could make the difference in the end.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Chelsea looking like us under Van Gaal. They are going nowhere near top 4 if they play like this. Pool are the only chasing team I worry about. Maybe if Boehly spends another billion, they might have a chance.
Chelsea has chance to getting top4. Football is not plug and play. There are only XI, they can sign 30 players but only 11 get to start. New players need time to settle into the club and playing style. They drop points again last night, they will probably lose a few more games when they meet bigger teams. I hope we win a next couple of games to cement top 3. Our defence is strong as long as Varane, Martinez, Shaw are not injure with AWB playing himself back into the team. We have a monster in Casimero, we look solid for top 3 as long as we can score a goal or 2. Pray Rashford stays injury free, he is playing himself into EPL team of the year.

NK86

Liverpool are the clear favourites for 3rd place, then it’s close betting between Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs.
How's a team currently 6th a clear favorite for 3rd spot? They are also not really lighting up the league with their performances and have had lucky breaks in both their matches after the break.

It's Arsenal and City for the top 2 with United, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs vying for the other 2 spots. If anything, along with Newcastle we are the more in-form team.

Remember the geese

Who can we get to see us through to the summer
I'd like to see us try and sort out a deal for Felix. Preferably with an option. Failing that, nobody else really appeals in terms of a loan. Although we definitely need someone. Depay perhaps, but the thought doesn't excite me.

croadyman

This post was idiotic. Are you new to this football thing?

In 96 we reeled in Newcastle who had a 12 point lead on us after more than half the season was played.

In 2003 we trailed a great Arsenal side by 8 points, in March… and won the league.

No one has to go on a fecking 22 game winning run to reel in 11 points.
I think we’ll likely end up 6 points or so behind Arsenal in 3rd, but…

A win at the Emirates makes it 8 points.
A single round loss for Arsenal and win for United then makes it 5. A draw in a round and win for United makes it 3 points.
Let’s also remember Arsenal are yet to play City this season.
In a very realistic scenario, it could be wiped out to 3 points in just 3 rounds of PL football. On the 3rd Jan the true 6 week test of their credentials begins:

3rd Jan: Newcastle (H)
15th Jan: Spurs (A)
22nd Jan: United (H)
4th Feb: Everton (A)
15th Feb: City (H)

I think they come out the other side behind City in the league, if they don’t, then feck me, they have a serious chance.

But let’s not make out it’s some insurmountable lead man :lol:
Our mindset for the game at The Emirates will hinge very much on how we fare against City

croadyman

We are not at that favourites position yet. Never discount Liverpool. This Liverpool team currently has more in terms of getting the job done. They have got a new striker which might give them a boost.

Rashford, while he is going on a decent run currently, he is not the answer till the end of the season. Eth needs a proper number 9.
Martial with his injury record can't be trusted to lead the line.

We might have a decent chance at 4th if we get a new striker in Jan before it's too late.

Hope Liverpool and Newcastle fall off.

Also would be amazing to win against arsenal and city to get the team in high gear.
Fairly certain we won't get that proper number 9 until the summer,however getting a striker in Jan to help out is essential

Wilt

How's a team currently 6th a clear favorite for 3rd spot? They are also not really lighting up the league with their performances and have had lucky breaks in both their matches after the break.

It's Arsenal and City for the top 2 with United, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs vying for the other 2 spots. If anything, along with Newcastle we are the more in-form team.
Bookmakers employ football analysts to set the odds ….they currently view Liverpool as the team most likely to finish 3rd.

croadyman

I'd like to see us try and sort out a deal for Felix. Preferably with an option. Failing that, nobody else really appeals in terms of a loan. Although we definitely need someone. Depay perhaps, but the thought doesn't excite me.
Problem is we need someone who can score goals to take pressure off Marcus,in an ideal world we could do deal for Felix and get someone to help out a CF too.

caid

I started the season and have thought most of the way through that we'd finish short in 5th place. I assumed City and Liverpool would finish miles ahead of us. Chelsea under Tuchel would be too far ahead to catch in one season and so on.
I kind of fancy our chances at this point. Chelsea look as disjointed as us at our worst and none of the others looks as far ahead as they did a couple of years ago. They're all rejigging a bit too. Or they're spurs and if you cant finish ahead of spurs you dont deserve anything.

krazyrobus

This post was idiotic. Are you new to this football thing?

In 96 we reeled in Newcastle who had a 12 point lead on us after more than half the season was played.

In 2003 we trailed a great Arsenal side by 8 points, in March… and won the league.

No one has to go on a fecking 22 game winning run to reel in 11 points.
I think we’ll likely end up 6 points or so behind Arsenal in 3rd, but…

A win at the Emirates makes it 8 points.
A single round loss for Arsenal and win for United then makes it 5. A draw in a round and win for United makes it 3 points.
Let’s also remember Arsenal are yet to play City this season.
In a very realistic scenario, it could be wiped out to 3 points in just 3 rounds of PL football. On the 3rd Jan the true 6 week test of their credentials begins:

3rd Jan: Newcastle (H)
15th Jan: Spurs (A)
22nd Jan: United (H)
4th Feb: Everton (A)
15th Feb: City (H)

I think they come out the other side behind City in the league, if they don’t, then feck me, they have a serious chance.

But let’s not make out it’s some insurmountable lead man :lol:
Why are you comparing this team to the 1996, 2003 teams when there are soo many different internal and external factors between this team and those teams.

Secondly, you are right, no one has to go on a 22 game but we do have to match Arsenal results in all their remaining games and still them better them in 4 or so games. I don't know why people keep ignoring that or taking it as a given if Arsenal lose/draw on x day, we shall win and that we shall never lose/draw on x day and they win.

December_16

Why are you comparing this team to the 1996, 2003 teams when there are soo many different internal and external factors between this team and those teams.

Secondly, you are right, no one has to go on a 22 game but we do have to match Arsenal results in all their remaining games and still them better them in 4 or so games. I don't know why people keep ignoring that or taking it as a given if Arsenal lose/draw on x day, we shall win and that we shall never lose/draw on x day and they win.
It’s because you kept talking like 11 points are insurmountable difference when history shows it’s really not, especially when there is more than half a season to go. Of course it‘s a monumental task, but it doesn’t mean you can just write it off like it’s mathematically impossible. Same about the second point, Arsenal bettered our results in 4-5 matchdays so far, I don’t see any particular reason why we can‘t do the same. It’s just Arsenal ffs.

krazyrobus

It’s because you kept talking like 11 points are insurmountable difference when history shows it’s really not, especially when there is more than half a season to go. Of course it‘s a monumental task, but it doesn’t mean you can just write it off like it’s mathematically impossible. Same about the second point, Arsenal bettered our results in 4-5 matchdays so far, I don’t see any particular reason why we can‘t do the same. It’s just Arsenal ffs.
I keep talking like this team making up at 11 point difference is insurmountable, not that it has never been done.

On to the 2nd point, they have bettered our results in 4-5 match days, making that that difference with this team supposes that we better their results in 4-5 match days and we stay even in all the rest. What are the odds of that happening with this team that struggles to score goals?

Mainoldo

Arsenal
City
United
Liverpool

That’s how I see it. I think we will actually be really close to the title if we manage to do business in January.

Steve 007

Arsenal and City are gaurantees.
I’m actually thinking Arsenal might do this but also thinking they could be 2nd in two weeks.
Utd, Liverpool, City and Arsenal. I think we could get 3rd.
Spurs 5th, Newcastle 6th, Chelsea 3 managers in one year.

Telsim

1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Newcastle (they will buy more players this window)

1. City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Newcastle (they will buy more players this window)
Wow!

We’ve conceded just 6 PL goals since Casemiro made his PL full debut. If he and Varane stay fit, I can’t see any chance of us dropping out of the top 4.

City will catch Arsenal though, fairly certain of that. They will beat them home & away.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Great day beating Wolves with Newcastle (and City) dropping points. Not sure it'll be a walkover for Spurs against Villa tomorrow or for Chelsea at Forest eirther so a chance for potentially even better weekend.
This turned out almost perfect :drool: wonder if Brentford can cause trouble to Liverpool tonight, they only lost to Arsenal at home this season so far and are unbeaten in last 5.

nakpodiareuben

Arsenal should drop too and suddenly we are in a title race, specially if we can get a competent CF.

We are all waiting for Arsenal to drop point. We can actually win the league this season. City are just too predictable for me.Arsenal will drop point when players gets injured and tired

December_16

I keep talking like this team making up at 11 point difference is insurmountable, not that it has never been done.

On to the 2nd point, they have bettered our results in 4-5 match days, making that that difference with this team supposes that we better their results in 4-5 match days and we stay even in all the rest. What are the odds of that happening with this team that struggles to score goals?
Way to support your team if you keep writing them off like they’re a bunch of hopeless duds. Not even cautiously optimistic or anything, just a flat “nope they can’t do it” when all signs have been pointing up. What’s the point in watching the sport.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Way to support your team if you keep writing them off like they’re a bunch of hopeless duds. Not even cautiously optimistic or anything, just a flat “nope they can’t do it” when all signs have been pointing up. What’s the point in watching the sport.
You know it's ok to be a supporter and not think we can win the title but still be optimistic...

United are playing well, but we aren't playing like title challengers. That's just the reality. We're on a good run, but we've had loads of tight games throughout that run. Compare that to Arsenal now or City the past 5 years or Liverpool at their best, they just plow through teams and convincingly deserve to win, every game. We have a goal difference of +4 after 16 games. There's literally no need to set unrealistic expectations for this season when we have made good progress but plenty of progress still to go.

December_16

You know it's ok to be a supporter and not think we can win the title but still be optimistic...

United are playing well, but we aren't playing like title challengers. That's just the reality. We're on a good run, but we've had loads of tight games throughout that run. Compare that to Arsenal now or City the past 5 years or Liverpool at their best, they just plow through teams and convincingly deserve to win, every game. We have a goal difference of +4 after 16 games. There's literally no need to set unrealistic expectations for this season when we have made good progress but plenty of progress still to go.
Oh trust me, I know all that. I don’t think we have much of a chance either, many things have to go right for us over the next couple of months to know how it may shake out. But I’m very optimistic. To write it off at this stage, with the leader being Arsenal of all teams, is just doom mongering.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said for years only way to guarantee a top 4 finish in this league is to be in a title race. Outside of that, a season-long pursuit of 4th place is futile and risky. We have to just try and win the league and take whatever else comes.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I detest Arsenal with a passion.
But I am forced to admit that they have some very good players and are at the moment playing well.
Arteta has put together a tidy squad.
My main hope is that they don't really have that much depth and are on the young side.

I can see us finishing ahead of them and would hate it if they even finished top 4.

krazyrobus

What signs have been pointing up? You are not going to claw back an 11 point lead relying on defence solely. When has a team made that point differential up not being a relatively free scoring outfit? I'm not worrying about first place, I'm concerning myself with getting 3rd or 4th, building an effective team/squad to challenge next season.