Race for top 4 | Finito.

rk4utd

It’s just nice to be talking about the possibility of being in the mix isn’t it!

krazyrobus

Really? For the second time in a day? :lol:

Literally us in 1996, we scored 73 all season & again when we trailed Arsenal by 8 points in March 2003, scoring 74 all season.

Free scoring we weren’t, damn efficient though.
That was almost 2 goals a game, highest scoring team in the league. That was free scoring for that period. Now we are hitting 1.5 goals a game and somewhere around 6/7th in scoring.

That was almost 2 goals a game, highest scoring team in the league. That was free scoring for that period. Now we are hitting 1.5 goals a game and somewhere around 6/7th in scoring.
It was 1.92 goals per game, just 0.4 more than us for this season.
We are actually at 1.64 goals per game since the Brentford result.

It wasn’t our free-scoring that was key in 1996 nor 2003, it was how efficient we were. Efficiency is the same reason we’ll go third if we win our game in hand v Leeds at home, despite having a shocking start and not being a free scoring side.
United are efficient as feck currently.

ThinkTank@Cafe

It wasn’t our free-scoring that was key in 1996 nor 2003, it was how efficient we were. Efficiency is the same reason we’ll go third if we win our game in hand v Leeds at home, despite having a shocking start and not being a free scoring side.
Don’t waste your time. He will keep arguing twisting stats. I believe he thinks he’s the smartest person in this stupid world. Such people find refuge in skepticism as the way to protect themselves from fear of failure.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We are actually 10th for goals this season, 8th in xG. 4th in xG conceded.

krazyrobus

No doubt, that defence is earning us the points. In 1993, we were the highest scoring side, and 3rd meanest defence. 2003, we 2nd highest top scorers, meanest defence.

You will not make up the 11 point gap relying this heavily on 1 side of the game. Now take a look at who we are trying to chase down, conceded as many goals all season as we have since Brentford, 2nd highest scorers in the league.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Am I the only one who went like “Liverpool :lol::lol::lol:Surely a team that is down 2-0 away against BRENTFORD after 45 minutes cannot be considered a top 4 candidate??? Brentford!????” — and then thought better of it? ;)

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
What a start of the new year, hopefully they don't give this away!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That makes no sense though does it? :lol:

Not all games are equal.
We score fewer than 2 goals per game, in fact we've scored more goals per game in the big games than the smaller games... The point is that we are 10th in goals for this season and would remain in 10th if we scored more 2 goals in our next game. It's obviously a problem area, and it's obviously nowhere near enough. Which is fine. We've shown great progress and it comes in stages. But to claim we can win the title this season... Despite being 10th in goals for (irrespective of games played), then yeah, it's a reach.

If you look at xG, then there are very much 2 tiers for the top half. City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle are by a distance the top 4 in xG (roughly 2xG/game), while the next tier of Spurs, United, Brighton, Brentford, Fulham are all on about 1.5 xG per game. Before thinking of the title, we need to start creating more.

This weighted chart shows it well IMO.

red thru&thru

To finish in top 4, we will need reinforcements up top. Without, I believe we'll fall just short.

Valencia Shin Crosses

To finish in top 4, we will need reinforcements up top. Without, I believe we'll fall just short.
It really all depends on Martial staying fit. He stays fit and it keeps Rashford on the left where he's at his best, adds a much better focal point in the middle, and allows Garnacho to continue coming off the bench in a super sub type role (which is what he's best suited for currently).

I don't know what reinforcements we could get that would really tip the needle either way, especially given we aren't going to spend heavily. Felix would certainly help I guess.

I think our defensive stability will be worth much more than a few extra goals. Reinforcements up top would simply take us up another level.
That said, I’m certain Antony will get better and better and I expect Sancho to come back with something to prove.

The Purley King

Could hardly have asked for better results over the last couple of days.
Come on ETH keep the pedal firmly down please.

cyberman

Our top four rivals have a lot more problems than we have. They wish their problem was cover for the 9 position

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This weekend has been a quality week for us. City draw, Chelsea draw, Newcastle draw, spurs lose and Liverpool lose. Come on united let’s push on!!

norm87cro

Its up for grabs and the Dippers, Spurs and Chelsea (in all honesty even Arsenal) will drop many points between now and May. Liverpool losing never gets old its just a warm fuzzy feeling every time

red thru&thru

It really all depends on Martial staying fit. He stays fit and it keeps Rashford on the left where he's at his best, adds a much better focal point in the middle, and allows Garnacho to continue coming off the bench in a super sub type role (which is what he's best suited for currently).

I don't know what reinforcements we could get that would really tip the needle either way, especially given we aren't going to spend heavily. Felix would certainly help I guess.
Martial staying fit is what worries me. If we could keep all our players fit as are, then I'm confident. But unfortunately, it won't work this way.

red thru&thru

I think our defensive stability will be worth much more than a few extra goals. Reinforcements up top would simply take us up another level.
That said, I’m certain Antony will get better and better and I expect Sancho to come back with something to prove.
I don't disagree. Just fitness of our players worries me.

red thru&thru

Our top four rivals have a lot more problems than we have. They wish their problem was cover for the 9 position
Arsenal will reinforce. So will Newcastle. City are City. Both Lfc and Chelsea have brought in new players.

This is what worries me.

Steve 007

Would we take 7 points in our next 3 league games? Be great to come out without losing a game. On another note, Liverpool are going to have many more of these games, just a shame someone bunged the Leicester guy some cash.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As good as it looks for us, Liverpool seem intent on spending money, so I think it'll go to the wire, especially if we stay in the Europa

laughtersassassin

Looking like Liverpool are going signing a midfielder now as well.

We'd be daft to not get in a striker this window.

Top 4 should be on for us. I'd hate to lose it because we don't strengthen in this window and then pick up an injury or two in our already threadbare striker options.

Let's take advantage of the lead we have and strengthen the squad

cyberman

Arsenal will reinforce. So will Newcastle. City are City. Both Lfc and Chelsea have brought in new players.

This is what worries me.
Who says Newcastle will reinforce and Chelsea’s are buying players more for the summer than now.
I’d say you’re being really pessimistic, Liverpool and Chelsea’s issues goes beyond personnel that can be fixed by a January signing

norm87cro

Martial staying fit is what worries me. If we could keep all our players fit as are, then I'm confident. But unfortunately, it won't work this way.
Well Im disturbed to hear Martial is still regarded as an asset. The guy has talent but he slows down this team by 30% and even his Forest goal was a keeper error

CM

Would we take 7 points in our next 3 league games? Be great to come out without losing a game. On another note, Liverpool are going to have many more of these games, just a shame someone bunged the Leicester guy some cash.
Absolutely. If we make it through the next 3 relatively unscathed, we've got a decent run in the league until we face Liverpool at Anfield in March.

red thru&thru

Who says Newcastle will reinforce and Chelsea’s are buying players more for the summer than now.
I’d say you’re being really pessimistic, Liverpool and Chelsea’s issues goes beyond personnel that can be fixed by a January signing
Hopefully you're correct.

SAFMUTD

Cant have a much better GW than this one. 3 points while only Arsenal won, City, Newcatle and Chelsea draw and Spurs and Liverpool lost. :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Cant have a much better GW than this one. 3 points while only Arsenal won, City, Newcatle and Chelsea draw and Spurs and Liverpool lost. :drool:
Today was the start of a new GW but yes been some good results for us

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Are you sure about that? Newcastle, Arsenal and City certainly don’t. Liverpool and Chelsea maybe do? Although neither of them have as obvious a gap in their squad as we do up top.

EDIT: Actually, yeah. Chelsea also in need of another striker.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How would you propose we make up the deficit? You said that it is down to 8 with half a season to go, That again pre-supposes that they lose 2 and draw 1 game, very likely, but then we go perfect the entire half season, impossible.
Wait...wait :lol::confused:. You are really saying that 11 points with 22 (!!) games to play is too big to catch? In PL? Where bottom table clubs can beat top clubs?
And on top of that, this is not City or prime Liverpool. Arsenal so far was the best team in the league but they don't have some amazing team and depth.

We lost 8 points lead with 4 or 5 games to play, remember?

Remember the geese

Are you sure about that? Newcastle, Arsenal and City certainly don’t. Liverpool and Chelsea maybe do? Although neither of them have as obvious a gap in their squad as we do up top.

EDIT: Actually, yeah. Chelsea also in need of another striker.
Newcastle, Liverpool and Chelsea probably do purely by virtue of them not being as good as us.