Race for top 4 | Finito.

Dominos

We pretty much need 15 points from 24 to guarantee.
Villa can get to 69.
Brighton 73
Liverpool & spurs 71
Spurs have difficult fixtures, so I don't fancy them even if they beat us tomorrow.

Liverpool are the worry, their fixture list is very very kind. I think West Ham away was their most difficult game left.

Ludens the Red

Ergh, starting to think this ain’t over. Didn’t realise Liverpool had about 10 home games in a row. Next two games are massive for us. Need to win him to ease any potential late pressure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We could lose out to Liverpool on goal difference with only 12 points.
Oh feck, GD... Yeah that's true

So 6 draws and 2 wins then ?
Actually, see above

I think there's a small chance Leicester might be well up for their game vs them in a few weeks at The King Power... But then again, Leicester are crap.

Real Name

At least Spurs are out. Once they beat City few months ago I was worried we might lose top 4 to them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Oh feck, GD... Yeah that's true

Actually, see above

I think there's a small chance Leicester might be well up for their game vs them in a few weeks at The King Power... But then again, Leicester are crap.
That Leicester game is probably the hardest one they've got left.

always_hoping

Hard to see where Liverpool are going to drop anymore points.

Spurs,Brenford,Fulham,Villa at home and Leicester,Southampton away

So 72 points looking like the total to secure top 4 this season.

ti vu

Hard to see where Liverpool are going to drop anymore points.

Spurs,Brenford,Fulham,Villa at home and Leicester,Southampton away

So 72 points looking like the total to secure top 4 this season.
While their home form is very good, it's not like it's sure win against Spurs and Villa who would at least fighting for EL/ELC spot. They lost to Leeds at home this season, and just this weekend Nottingham Forest ran them close.

The possibility is there but it's more on the unlikely side than likely side.

Gurtej

We need 13 points (4 wins 1 draw) from 24 to secure top 4 assuming pool win all their matches which I don’t think will happen….even a draw for pool is game over for them for top 4….

Witchking

No but its Anfield so you would expect a hard fought win at the end.
It will be a walkover. Liverpool score early and the game is done.

Hoping that Chelsea come out as a big club and somehow get a draw at anfield.

EDIT: Forgot that Chelsea has already played Liverpool.

Last edited:

Oscar Bonavena

When the nuclear apocalypse arrives, all that will survive are the cockroaches, and Liverpool jamming their way to the top 4 after being shit all season.

Cathy Ferguson

Our lack of goals is a worry. We have not created many openings in our last two games, Bruno has a minor injury and Rashford is not in great form. Spurs and Villa must fancy their chances. Draw at Spurs and win against Villa would be nice.

Redfrog

Who realistically think we won’t get 13 points from 8 games ? That’s just a bit more then a point and half per game.

always_hoping

Who realistically think we won’t get 13 points from 8 games ? That’s just a bit more then a point and half per game.
Maybe not realistically think it but a timely reminder. In Man United's last 8 PL games of last season only 7 points (wins against Tottenham,Brenford and drew with Chelsea) lost the other 5 games and some bad beatings in that.

PSV

You say that, but it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary to anticipate draws/losses from all the next 3, so that's a lot of points needed from the final 5.

Djemba-Djemba

Maybe not realistically think it but a timely reminder. In Man United's last 8 PL games of last season only 7 points (wins against Tottenham,Brenford and drew with Chelsea) lost the other 5 games and some bad beatings in that.
We were absolutely fecking dogshit last season though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We're sneaking up the table but I don't think United and Newcastle will drop enough points.

Chief123

I think the pessimism comes from the fact we’ve lost our best defenders and have to play the remainder of the season with Maguire playing a big part in some pretty tough away games.

ti vu

Let me help. 11 points from final 11 games last season. Lost to Brighton (who we're still to play in the remaining fixture). We're already better than last season taking bigger sample of 11 games.

The question is where do we draw the line?

hobbers

We definitely need 4 wins. Would not surprise me at all if Liverpool hit 68 or 69 points given their run in.

Witchking

Eh?! Chelsea drew at Anfield 0-0 a couple of months ago?
Oh man, apologies, was thinking about arsenal and Chelsea and got confused. Liverpool have the next 6 winnable games on paper.

Just hoping we do not get derailed. Just need to somehow get past 73 points so that Brighton and Liverpool won't get a chance to sneak in.

always_hoping

Let me help. 11 points from final 11 games last season. Lost to Brighton (who we're still to play in the remaining fixture). We're already better than last season taking bigger sample of 11 games.

The question is where do we draw the line?
As it stands United need 15 points from remaining 8 games to be 100% sure of top 4 finish.

Wouldn't trust United against any team away especially with the first choice centre back pairing out. And have Brighton,Spurs,Bournemouth,West Ham to play all of those teams have something to play for.

Good home form will hopefully hold until the end of the season with Chelsea,Fulham,Wolves and Villa to play, the latter looks the hardest on paper but then again United did draw at home to Southampton.

As I said already I'll be quietly confident of Man United finishing in the top 4 if they claiming 3 points against Tottenham.

ti vu

As it stands United need 15 points from remaining 8 games to be 100% sure of top 4 finish.

Wouldn't trust United against any team away especially with the first choice centre back pairing out. And have Brighton,Spurs,Bournemouth,West Ham to play all of those teams have something to play for.

Good home form will hopefully hold until the end of the season with Chelsea,Fulham,Wolves and Villa to play, the latter looks the hardest on paper but then again United did draw at home to Southampton.

As I said already I'll be quietly confident of Man United finishing in the top 4 if they claiming 3 points against Tottenham.
We just won against Nottingham Forest away from home without Lindelof and Maguire, didn't we? Does Nottingham Forest looks like they gave up during their latest two games? Even when they lost to Liverpool at Anfield, did Liverpool look invincible?

Liverpol lost at home to Leeds this season. They lost to Bournemouth away from home. Why is this talk about them winning all their games when even about half of 24 points would be difficult for us?

I am not quietly comfortable about our chances . I am openly confident right now, before whatever result against Tottenham because Liverpool is more likely to drop couple points than picking up perfect run with how they perform in their latest victories.

always_hoping

We just won against Nottingham Forest away from home without Lindelof and Maguire, didn't we? Does Nottingham Forest looks like they gave up during their latest two games? Even when they lost to Liverpool at Anfield, did Liverpool look invincible?

Liverpol lost at home to Leeds this season. They lost to Bournemouth away from home. Why is this talk about them winning all their games when even about half of 24 points would be difficult for us?

I am not quietly comfortable about our chances . I am openly confident right now, before whatever result against Tottenham because Liverpool is more likely to drop couple points than picking up perfect run with how they perform in their latest victories.
October and they lost to leeds, a week ago they beat them 6-1. With a full strength squad they'll be aiming to win their remaining games in an effort to finish as high as possible in the table. They did similar in the 2020/21 season when they won their remaining 5 league games and before that run their were 6th with 54 points.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Have a feeling Newcastle will mess up and Liverpool sneak in.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

13 (4 wins 1 draw 3 losses) guarantees it ahead of Liverpool who are the only other team who might actually get to 71, but in that scenario they win every game. United and Newcastle are surpassing 70 though. Liverpool might make it interesting briefly but are last 3 are kind.

bosnian_red

Our lack of goals is a worry. We have not created many openings in our last two games, Bruno has a minor injury and Rashford is not in great form. Spurs and Villa must fancy their chances. Draw at Spurs and win against Villa would be nice.
We created boat loads in the 3 games prior to these last 2 though.

bosnian_red

We pretty much need 15 points from 24 to guarantee.
Villa can get to 69.
Brighton 73
Liverpool & spurs 71
Brighton won't get close to that. They play city away, Newcastle away and Arsenal home (among other tough games like vs united home, and villa away).

Liverpool have to win all of them to reach 71, favorable run but hard to win so many in a row. Bound to draw somewhere. But assuming they win them all, we need 13 to guarantee. Can see it getting somewhat close as our last 4 are much easier than the first 4 games. So if we have a gap after the next 4 games, it's fine.

ti vu

October and they lost to leeds, a week ago they beat them 6-1. With a full strength squad they'll be aiming to win their remaining games in an effort to finish as high as possible in the table. They did similar in the 2020/21 season when they won their remaining 5 league games and before that run their were 6th with 54 points.
You just reaffirm the point about there is no certainty, absolutely. Liverpool home record is not perfect or their away form is all doomed and gloomed.

They thrashed Bournemouth early in the season but end up losing to Bournemouth away. Lost to Leeds at home to thrashed Leeds away. Anything can happen. So perfect streak is more unlikely than likely.

Two season ago they got 5 winning streak but when stretching to 8 game they dropped points in 2 occasions. So why the belief that they can get on 9 winning streak now?

18/19 and 19/20, there was a bottler that collapsed and allowed other teams to recover the point gap. Who would be the bottlers this time?

always_hoping

13 (4 wins 1 draw 3 losses) guarantees it ahead of Liverpool who are the only other team who might actually get to 71, but in that scenario they win every game. United and Newcastle are surpassing 70 though. Liverpool might make it interesting briefly but are last 3 are kind.
I said to be 100% sure of top 4 would be 15 points as Brighton as it stands can get 73 points.

ti vu Liverpool won their last 5 games that season from a similar position that they are in now. Just giving an example of them doing it before

Oscar Bonavena

Won our last 3 PL games without conceding!
True, but Brentford & Everton at home and Forest away was a pretty kind (and welcome) run of fixtures to string 3 badly needed wins together.

You've seen the last 2 games we've played (v Sevilla and Brighton). Did we look like a team full of energy, about to reach our peak in the run-in? That's what's worrying me!

ti vu

I said to be 100% sure of top 4 would be 15 points as Brighton as it stands can get 73 points.

ti vu Liverpool won their last 5 games that season from a similar position that they are in now. Just giving an example of them doing it before
They already on 3 winning streak. Rarely any teams can string 9 winning streak at this stage of the season. You can look up.

I gave you a head start. In 18-19 City for 14 game winning streak at the end of the season. Liverpool had 9 game winning streak. It's called title winning form. Please find me other winning streak at the end of the season.

These are unlikely feat. If it's easy to pull off, you would see teams trailing 2 digit point gap in April to end up winning the league.

Last season Liverpool failed to string 7 winning streak at this state of the season because Tottenham drew them at Anfield. That 2 drop point cost them the title in the end. They have Tottenham at Anfield coming. Why should we use season 2 year ago as point for reference, but not last season?

Liverpool unlikely to get maximum point. And we're more likely get 12+ point. That's the point. No nonsense reference to past seasons.

Last edited: