Race for top 4 | Finito.

Redfrog

Maybe not realistically think it but a timely reminder. In Man United's last 8 PL games of last season only 7 points (wins against Tottenham,Brenford and drew with Chelsea) lost the other 5 games and some bad beatings in that.
How can you seriously compare the two season ?

Redfrog

You say that, but it wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary to anticipate draws/losses from all the next 3, so that's a lot of points needed from the final 5.
If we were living by the anticipation of some here, we would finish every season with 30 points.

Redfrog

I think the pessimism comes from the fact we’ve lost our best defenders and have to play the remainder of the season with Maguire playing a big part in some pretty tough away games.
No we don’t. W can still play with Shaw instead of Maguire and Varane will come back if I understood it properly.

Redfrog

If we don’t make the top 4 from now on, I don’t see the point about playing in the CL !

gajender

If we don’t make the top 4 from now on, I don’t see the point about playing in the CL !
What point are you trying to make if we don't make top 4 from here then we obviously won't be playing in CL , we are already out of Europa so top 4 is our only Gateway for Champions league .

Siorac

Who realistically think we won’t get 13 points from 8 games ? That’s just a bit more then a point and half per game.
Looking at the fixtures and our form and fatigue, getting 13 out of 24 looks a daunting task.

Our next four fixtures all look really tough, three of them away from home. It's perfectly plausible that we won't win any of them or only one. That puts huge pressure on us for the last four games. And there's a couple of banana skins in there: as utterly dreadful as Chelsea are this season, you just know they will raise their game and sneak a draw; Fulham outplayed us for 70 minutes in the FA Cup.

It's far from over. We might need Liverpool to drop some points somewhere.

Redfrog

What point are you trying to make if we don't make top 4 from here then we obviously won't be playing in CL , we are already out of Europa so top 4 is our only Gateway for Champions league .
I mean, people here are afraid about qualification for CL but if we don’t qualify from now on, there will be nothing to regret.

Redfrog

Looking at the fixtures and our form and fatigue, getting 13 out of 24 looks a daunting task.

Our next four fixtures all look really tough, three of them away from home. It's perfectly plausible that we won't win any of them or only one. That puts huge pressure on us for the last four games. And there's a couple of banana skins in there: as utterly dreadful as Chelsea are this season, you just know they will raise their game and sneak a draw; Fulham outplayed us for 70 minutes in the FA Cup.

It seems every fixture is tough for some people on here. I don’t see the point about watching football and being afraid to play against fecking Spurs. So much insecurity.

Judas

Open to offers
It seems every fixture is tough for some people on here. I don’t see the point about watching football and being afraid to play against fecking Spurs. So much insecurity.
Too many on here are addicted to the feeling of dread and fear. They also love nothing more than whinging, moaning and crying. Even if events haven't transpired yet, why not pre-whinge, moan and cry!

Siorac

We haven't won away from home against top-half opposition all season, apart from a last-gasp winner at Fulham. It's perfectly reasonable to say that we aren't favourites to win tonight or at Brighton either.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Next 4 games will determine our position at the end of the season.

We are horrible away from home, most of the players are tired and opponents have all something to play for.

If we lose tonight, draw this weekend against Villa at home, lose at Brighton and at West Ham away, it will be a different story.

Hope I am wrong but I am not confident at all.

Park the bus, hit on counter, hope for De Gea and Rashford miracles.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Think Liverpool can keep Newcastle and United honest, but surely they both get over the line.

MegadrivePerson

They will drop plenty of points. They haven't won more than three league games in a row all season. They aren't mysteriously winning nine in a row!

Redfrog

We haven't won away from home against top-half opposition all season, apart from a last-gasp winner at Fulham. It's perfectly reasonable to say that we aren't favourites to win tonight or at Brighton either.
So what ? We have 6 points on Liverpool with 2 games in hand but people are acting like we didn’t win a match all season.
Spurs are in dire stat and are even sh*tter then when Conté was here but so much are bricking it at the idea of playing them.

If we are not making top 4 from our position then we don’t deserve it at all.

But a lot on here are acting like we are in a bad situation when we are in a better situation then Pool, Spurs or Newcastle.

I just don’t understand the insecurity about top 4. There is nothing rational about it.

always_hoping

They already on 3 winning streak. Rarely any teams can string 9 winning streak at this stage of the season. You can look up.

I gave you a head start. In 18-19 City for 14 game winning streak at the end of the season. Liverpool had 9 game winning streak. It's called title winning form. Please find me other winning streak at the end of the season.

These are unlikely feat. If it's easy to pull off, you would see teams trailing 2 digit point gap in April to end up winning the league.

Liverpool unlikely to get maximum point. And we're more likely get 12+ point. That's the point. No nonsense reference to past seasons.
Unlikely as it may be there is still a possibility and not a nonsense reference when they has done it before. Very favourable 6 fixtures to play including 4 at home, as for title winning form, well this a group of Liverpool players have won the title recently, they were expected to challenge for it this season and could well find that type form now when the season is reaching it's conclusion.

Redfrog

Unlikely as it may be there is still a possibility and not a nonsense reference when they has done it before. Very favourable 6 fixtures to play including 4 at home, as for title winning form, well this a group of Liverpool players have won the title recently, they were expected to challenge for it this season and could well find that type form now when the season is reaching it's conclusion.
Man, I don’t get your pseudo, you look like you have no hope, for United anyway.

Do you seriously think Liverpool will take our CL spot ?

Redfrog

Next 4 games will determine our position at the end of the season.

We are horrible away from home, most of the players are tired and opponents have all something to play for.

If we lose tonight, draw this weekend against Villa at home, lose at Brighton and at West Ham away, it will be a different story.

Hope I am wrong but I am not confident at all.

Park the bus, hit on counter, hope for De Gea and Rashford miracles.
Man, chill a bit, football is fun and life can be too. We are in better position then Pool for top 4 so no need to get anxious.

Siorac

So what ? We have 6 points on Liverpool with 2 games in hand but people are acting like we didn’t win a match all season.
Spurs are in dire stat and are even sh*tter then when Conté was here but so much are bricking it at the idea of playing them.
We lost every single game against top 8 opposition away from home: City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Villa. It's not exactly far-fetched to expect losses at both Spurs and Brighton, too. At that point we need to win 4 out of the other 6 which isn't impossible but it does put pressure on us.

No one says we're in a dire situation but top 4 is far from done. We can take a giant step if we win tonight but that looks unlikely, especially if Bruno is out.

cyberman

We lost every single game against top 8 opposition away from home: City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Villa. It's not exactly far-fetched to expect losses at both Spurs and Brighton, too. At that point we need to win 4 out of the other 6 which isn't impossible but it does put pressure on us.

No one says we're in a dire situation but top 4 is far from done. We can take a giant step if we win tonight but that looks unlikely, especially if Bruno is out.
We are a game in hand from being third in the away table by a point. This only makes sense as a point if it’s a disadvantage to us. It isn’t if everybody else is at a greater risk of dropping points away from home than we are

Redfrog

No we don’t, it’s only in case all the rival teams win all their games, which is not realistic.

Do you think that one of our rival for top 4 is in better situation then us ?
Answer me please.

Redfrog

We are a game in hand from being third in the away table by a point. This only makes sense as a point if it’s a disadvantage to us. It isn’t if everybody else is at a greater risk of dropping points away from home than we are
It’s too much asking people being rational on here mate.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
What if we are deducted ten points and Liverpool win the next 8?

What about that?

Not so clever then are you?

General feel of this thread.

Smores

I think you're overstating your rationality here. It's not improbable that we lose to Brighton and Spurs nor that Liverpool might win every game.

It's perfectly possible it'll become a nervy finish. The odds available reflect it's unlikely because it obviously is but when it comes to this stage with so few games left outliers can happen.

We very much look like a team that could have a slip up. It's perfectly rational to have concerns whether they're up to it.

cyberman

I think you're overstating your rationality here. It's not improbable that we lose to Brighton and Spurs nor that Liverpool might win every game.

It's perfectly possible it'll become a nervy finish. The odds available reflect it's unlikely because it obviously is but when it comes to this stage with so few games left outliers can happen.

We very much look like a team that could have a slip up. It's perfectly rational to have concerns whether they're up to it.
Can you explain how both scenarios at the same time aren’t improbable?
We’re currently on a four game domestic winning streak!

brian017

I don't particularly want Newcastle to get it but I don't want Liverpool to get it either. If only Spurs weren't so hopelessly shite

Siorac

No we don’t, it’s only in case all the rival teams win all their games, which is not realistic.

Answer me please.
Newcastle have a better fixture list. The rest of them are obviously in a worse position than we are but I never claimed otherwise.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don't particularly want Newcastle to get it but I don't want Liverpool to get it either. If only Spurs weren't so hopelessly shite
Unfortunately it’s gonna be between us, Newcastle and Liverpool I think.

cyberman

Unfortunately it’s gonna be between us, Newcastle and Liverpool I think.
Newcastle are a sure thing. Most of their games left are against the worst teams in the division and I include Chelsea in that.
There isn’t much for Liverpool to cling onto here. Newcastle might draw here and there but they don’t lose and those points add up.
The worst thing for Liverpool is the fact the bottom teams are so so poor and the teams on the beach now comes into play.
I’d even give Newcastle the edge over Liverpool if they were even in points but 9 points is ridiculous with 6 games left after tonight.

Siorac

It isn't that simple though. First, 'a game in hand away from being third in the away table' is a very roundabout way of saying we are fifth in the away table.

Second, the highest placed team at which we got ad much as a point is Fulham in 10th. Every single team above them beat us on their own patch. That's the type of away game we have two more of. Our overall away record merely suggests that we're well capable of getting a win at Bournemouth, not at Spurs or Brighton.

And the most dangerous challenger, Liverpool, are ahead of us on the home table and they have four out of six games at home. And their away games are against teams in the bottom half (in the relegation zone, in fact). They are in fact likely to drop fewer points than us during the run-in. Their difficulty is that they need to be pretty much perfect. But Klopp teams do tend to go on ridiculous winning runs so they can't be ruled out.

cyberman

It isn't that simple though. First, 'a game in hand away from being third in the away table' is a very roundabout way of saying we are fifth in the away table.

Second, the highest placed team at which we got ad much as a point is Fulham in 10th. Every single team above them beat us on their own patch. That's the type of away game we have two more of. Our overall away record merely suggests that we're well capable of getting a win at Bournemouth, not at Spurs or Brighton.

And the most dangerous challenger, Liverpool, are ahead of us on the home table and they have four out of six games at home. And their away games are against teams in the bottom half (in the relegation zone, in fact). They are in fact likely to drop fewer points than us during the run-in. Their difficulty is that they need to be pretty much perfect. But Klopp teams do tend to go on ridiculous winning runs so they can't be ruled out.
It’s hard to be pedantic about a game in hand when you’re simply wrong about Liverpool being ahead of us on the home form table. Points to away game we are simply third.
Secondly, they would have to win 9 league games in a row if they wanted to win the rest of the games this season which is a run City haven’t even achieved this year.
Your post doesn’t make sense at any level. Have you seen their record away v bottom half teams? Wasn’t Leeds their first victory away to a bottom half team just last week? Where are you getting probably win against those sides from?
You jump from factually this and that to misrepresenting stats to simply completely disregarding them at all.
There’s nothing probable about any of this

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Answer me please.
I don't think its unrealistc to suggest Liverpool win all their remaning fixtures.

Obviously it'll be difficult for them, but they are totally capable of doing so - and have previous.