Race for top 4 | Finito.

C'est Moi Cantona

That's Brighton's faint hopes gone at least.

Newcastle are probably getting a bit worried about Liverpool, they've got a great run of fixtures coming up.

abailey123

We pretty much need 15 points from 24 to guarantee.
Villa can get to 69.
Brighton 73
Liverpool & spurs 71

InfiniteBoredom

Spurs were done last weekend and Brighton are done today.

And if the Scousers put together a run to finish 5th or 6th, it will be fecking perfect. Thursday night football for all those magical Anfield European nights.

lex talionis

If we dispatch Spurs tomorrow it's as over as over can get. Villa aren't going on an amazing run and neither United nor Newcastle will go on an epic collapse. But we need to dispatch Spurs before we can begin thinking about strategic squad rotation, maximizing fitness and giving valuable minutes to fringe players in the final run in before we face City for the FA Cup final.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Lose tomorrow (as we usually do against top half away) and this starts to look at risk again with Villa and Brighton to come.

Liverpool's hardest remaining fixture out of the way.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Newcastle would need to collapse. Not going to happen. More likely they'd get in at our expense, and again we'd need to collapse for that to happen
Oh yeah, I just think either of those things (Newcastle collapsing due to the pressure, us collapsing 'cos we're great at it) isn't totally out of the question.

But then again, its just winning 4 games... it should be routine

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
They are six points behind having played two games more. I’m gonna choose to not shit myself.

cyberman

It’s done now. Even a loss tomorrow leaves us a comfortable fourth with 2 games in hand against most below us.
It’s at the stage now where we have a bigger lead than it looks simply because Villa, as an example, have to play Liverpool, Brighton and Spurs. Then it’s Newcastle v Brighton, Spurs v Liverpool etc.

KGBhoy

On the positive side... can we finish second? Will Arsenal completely collapse? They have some tough fixtures left.

wangyu

If we drop out of the top 4 it would be a monumental bottle job. It is not going to happen.

Barthez

Best outcome for us is Liverpool in the Europa so tonight’s result helps that

LARulz

On the positive side... can we finish second? Will Arsenal completely collapse? They have some tough fixtures left.
To be fair we still play Villa, West Ham and Brighton who are all tough. Also it's not like we are playing fantastic

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If we were 6 behind Liverpool and Newcastle having played 2 games more, nobody would give us a hope in hell. Stop worrying

BorisManUtd

Becomes really difficult for Brighton after this loss at Forest. Spurs have tough schedule until the end of the season as well. Liverpool have easy 6 fixtures to go, all top 10 sides (Spurs, Fulham, Brentford, Villa) they face at Anfield where they've been decent this season so should win those.

Woziak

If we dispatch Spurs tomorrow it's as over as over can get. Villa aren't going on an amazing run and neither United nor Newcastle will go on an epic collapse. But we need to dispatch Spurs before we can begin thinking about strategic squad rotation, maximizing fitness and giving valuable minutes to fringe players in the final run in before we face City for the FA Cup final.
Totally agree, if we start well tomorrow against spurs, the crowd will turn on them, most spurs fans think they have no chance of top 4 now, Spurs and Liverpool can both get 71 points but not together if they drew against each other and won every game they finish on 69. We need to worry about ourselves, we need 13 points from 24 and then it’s done only Brighton can get more than that apart from Newcastle and if we draw or Nick a win there it’s done.

As good as Brighton and Villa are, the next few weeks will test everybody as all teams are playing 2 games a week. I think our run in is a lot harder than people think because Fulham and Brighton will want Fa Cup revenge, Villa are on a very good run, Wolves are safe but a team we hate playing , Bouremouth might be on the beach but they might need a result to stay up. We need to try and get these points as quickly as we can. Spurs and Chelsea are wounded animals right now but we’ve got to beat them and West Ham away is never easy.

Make no mistake we need 4 wins and 1 draw or 5 wins from our last 8 games. We really need to go at a fragile spurs tomorrow and win. Tomorrow game is a big game that we need to go all out for 3 points. If that happens we need only 10 points from last 7 games but tomorrow is the must win or at least must not lose.

Witchking

Best outcome for us is Liverpool in the Europa so tonight’s result helps that
They rather be in the Europa conference League then the Europa League. Just hope they lose a couple but it looks like they have finally found form.

BorisManUtd

I'd say we need 72 points, as Liverpool can't get that much and Brighton won't. So 13/24 points, win 4, draw one and lose 3 would be enough. Next 4 games (Spurs/Villa/Brighton/West Ham) are tough ones.

Josh 76

8 points above Liverpool. That’s all I’m looking at. Finish above them, top 4 is in the bag.
My post on April 2nd.

Even when they were playing shit, I knew they would still be their or their abouts for the top 4.

lsd

The Oracle
Imagine the meltdown in here if Liverpool beat us to the top four by goal difference

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
On paper Liverpool should really be getting to 71 points without any real problems given the fixtures, but they've blown a number of those type of games all season, so there's a bit of hope they slip somewhere.

I did a pretty pessimistic predictor for our remaining fixtures (e.g. losing to Spurs and Brighton, dropped points against Chelsea, Villa and West Ham - that kind of thing) and ended-up on 71 as well, where Liverpool would finish above us on goal difference.

So basically one slip from Liverpool and we're good I think, even if we have a bad but not disastrous end to the season.

I don't think the other candidates can realistically get that high with their remaining fixtures.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don't think it will be at Newcastle's expense, they're playing too well (Aston Villa blip aside).

We're the ones running on fumes.
We are. I'd take a draw tomorrow but if we lose it's a daunting 3 games ahead the way we are playing (Villa, Brighton A, West Ham A).