Rafael da Silva | 2010-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

Do not understand the praise he gets for his performance yesterday. His tackle on Gerrard was very stupid, his positioning before the handball was terrible and the handball itself was beyond stupid for he deserved to be sent off. Imagine playing nearly 60 min. with a man less against a superior team. 0:5 was a genuine possibility. He understood how bad his mistakes were and tried to compensate for them after the penalty. He's a talented player but his brain farts are going to hold him back.

finneh

Despite his moment of madness he's the only outfield player I thought to show any semblance of passion and pride yesterday. Ran tirelessly all game.
I think Gary Neville was spot on in commentary early on. Rafael was heavily involved but was so isolated it was unbelievable. He would collect the ball, bring it forward and hit a brick wall as our central midfielders weren't coming out to assist, Mata was inside so was out of passing range and Rooney/RVP were static in the middle. You can't make excuses for a brainfart like his handball, but any full back would have problems time and time again when he is expected to be our main attacking outlet, link defence to attack and be defensively solid. He was expected to be 2 top class players against Liverpool, he ended up being none.

It took Moyes an age to rectify the problem by putting Januzaj on the right, by which point we looked 10x better. Before this Rafael was playing across the entire right hand side with no help whatsoever. After 5 minutes I was screaming for Rooney to be put wide left and Januzaj to be put far right, it was painfully obvious. Unfortunately I don't think Moyes has the stones to deal with RVP or Rooney, the former who should have been hauled off at half time and the latter who should have gone left after 5 mins.

bishblaize

I thought he was our best player. Not for what he did, but simply because he was the only one who played like he had a pair. Half our lot were wandering around like zombies yesterday. At least Rafael put his heart into it.

gza the genius

The funny thing is, despite the fact that he should have been sent off already, he was actually very composed for the rest of the game after the penalty. Personally I think the penalty was just a reactionary thing that he didn't have much control or thought over. From there on out though he was very controlled in his play and was not involved in any more controversy. So despite most of you talking about how he lost his head and bottled it again, I think he honestly proved the opposite somewhat.

I really hope he doesn't get benched against Olympiakos, I can see Moyes doing it though.

Kag

Agree with all that!

How anyone can say it was an accident or just a silly mistake is beyond feckin belief. He put his hand to the ball deliberately. He's a thick rash gobshite & has made these type of reactions so many times. He jumps into tackles with intent also - like a headless chicken & not only is there the concern that he'll seriously hurt someone - he's always one tackle away from a sending off in almost every game.

He's a liability & has cost us too many times. I remember that challenge he made in the Champions League on Robben (i think) on the half-way line when he was caught out of position & he brought him down. He got sent off with a 2nd yellow & we went to shit after that, and went out. We were in a great position in that tie & would have gone into the semi's comfortably havin a 2 goal lead.

That was 4 years ago ffs & he's still makin the same type of decisions now!
Cracking post that, matey. Bring up something that happened four years ago as some wanky kind of justification for saying "he's always one tackle from getting sent off in nearly every game."

Exaggerated, reactionary and not at all truthful. He's had about one red card in over two years, but do carry on with the player assassinations.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
@limerickcitykid question when fans ask for more passion from the players, why is it now like in rafael's case do they want to see more calmness? i get confused. keep seeing some of fans say "we lack passion. if we were more passionate, showed desire and guts we would have won!" however how does showing passion mean you're not susceptible to silly mistakes as a result?
Well I think there is a line between passion and overly aggressive and reckless. However thin the line may be there still is a line. Don't get me wrong I like Rafael's passion for the most part and he really has cut out a lot of his rashness. It's these moments that others are mentioning where he makes a mistake or a call goes against him and he'll seem to lose it a bit. I don't know if he is trying to over compensate or what but as an opponent after he gets that call against him and you can see the frustration in him I am sure they are looking to point him out and attack at him. Like yesterday the late tackle on Gerrard and then a minute later the hand-ball which was pure madness.

Don't lose the passion but after that first yellow card or mistake that sets him off he needs to just calm down put it behind him and play his regular game which I don't feel he does. He let's it get in his mind and makes him think he has to do something to put it right and it leads to another overly aggressive challenge or mistake. As I said before he was one of our better players but he should have been sent off after 35 minutes.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Clattenburg could well have saved his United career yesterday, if he'd given him two yellows after the handball, and a goal down and him being sent off after 30 odd minutes, he'd have been more maligned for "costing us the game" and what followed.

Member 39557

Cracking post that, matey. Bring up something that happened four years ago as some wanky kind of justification for saying "he's always one tackle from getting sent off in nearly every game."

Exaggerated, reactionary and not at all truthful. He's had about one red card in over two years, but do carry on with the player assassinations.
Yep, he's clearly a liability. Much worse than the colossus Vidic who seemingly takes an early bath every time we play Liverpool.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."

"Rose tinted glasses" is the phrase!

How you can say he's not reckless is beyond me dude. He bloody well is ffs. Great player on his day, but complete liability when things arent goin right. Head goes & does an Evra - doesnt track markers time & time again...

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM

How you can say he's not reckless is beyond me dude. He bloody well is ffs. Great player on his day, but complete liability when things arent goin right. Head goes & does an Evra - doesnt track markers time & time again...
Maybe we need to define reckless and liability. Cattermole, thats reckless and liability. Rafael is over eager at times, it seems to me Rooney got more time to mature than people are willing to give to Rafael. Keane never fecking matured.

Kag

Can he be reckless? Yes, but it isn't a real issue. He gave away a penalty and played the rest of the match very well, other than one occasion when Suarez attempted to get him sent off. He got booked against Madrid last season, and sorted himself out again. Other than a last minute red card against Chelsea last season I can't remember his last one.

It's part of his game, it's who he is, and we've had players like that in the past. It's not a huge issue. All players give away penalties, it happens. Move on.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Maybe we need to define reckless and liability. Cattermole, thats reckless and liability. Rafael is over eager at times, it seems to me Rooney got more time to mature than people are willing to give to Rafael. Keane never fecking matured.
You say that like this is Rafael's 2nd or 3rd year involved and not his 6th, you can't help but love his energy and enthusiasm both on and off the pitch, but he's still very rash at times and it needs to be resolved.

binary bot
No it wasn't. Suarez took the touch down, the ball bounced up and he put his arm out.

I do not see handballs like that often. If you can't control your arm not to reach all the way out to touch the ball then yes you are an idiot.
I see it completely different. His hand is going up in line with his stance in order to balance himself, he then tries to pull his hand away which creates the illusion that he's doing it deliberately. Notice how when he handballs it he pulls his hand behind his back all in one motion.

That's my interpretation of it anyhow.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
You say that like this is Rafael's 2nd or 3rd year involved and not his 6th, you can't help but love his energy and enthusiasm both on and off the pitch, but he's still very rash at times and it needs to be resolved.
Ergo, my point on Rooney. Technical improvements and maturity don't develop hand in hand. Sometimes, its just a character trait. He's still only 23, the same age as me. I'm far from mature, I lose my temper at times, I make bad decisions at times. I fully agree he can be rash at times, but some here are going on as if he gets a red card every time he plays. If people don't see the improvements he's made over the years then I cba arguing with them.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

If we go by your judgement, Vidic and Rooney should have been transferred ages ago. Just saying.

fishfingers15

I see it completely different. His hand is going up in line with his stance in order to balance himself, he then tries to pull his hand away which creates the illusion that he's doing it deliberately. Notice how when he handballs it he pulls his hand behind his back all in one motion.

The ball bounced kindly to Suarez, the cnut could have carried the ball regardless past Rafael, just a nothing penalty.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Can he be reckless? Yes, but it isn't a real issue. He gave away a penalty and played the rest of the match very well, other than one occasion when Suarez attempted to get him sent off. He got booked against Madrid last season, and sorted himself out again. Other than a last minute red card against Chelsea last season I can't remember his last one.

Good points alright man :cool:
If we go by your judgement, Vidic and Rooney should have been transferred ages ago. Just saying.
It's part of his game, it's who he is, and we've had players like that in the past. It's not a huge issue. All players give away penalties, it happens. Move on.
End of the day - dont put your hand out to stop the ball pass you in the penalty box. Thats being completely braindead & selfish to not let the ball get past you.

Its Rafa's constant throwing his hands in the air when its so obvious he's fecked up. He does it when he's out of position in the last 3rd too. When he's lost the ball he just stands there screaming at the Ref & the break is on - like Evra does.

fishfingers15

End of the day - dont put your hand out to stop the ball pass you in the penalty box. Thats being completely braindead & selfish to not let the ball get past you.

Its Rafa's constant throwing his hands in the air when its so obvious he's fecked up. He does it when he's out of position in the last 3rd too. When he's lost the ball he just stands there screaming at the Ref & the break is on - like Evra does.
Mental criticism. How many red cards Rafael has got? How many penalties has he given away? In the last 3 years? Never mind the years, let's just count the games he's played in. You can accuse him of momentary lapse of concentration, but he was consistently our best defender last season. You can't fault him especially this year, when every one of our players are having a mare. Your criticism is over the top regarding his desire for tackles. Would you say the same holds true for Rooney?

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish

He didnt want the ball to pass him, so Rafa stuck the hand out instinctivly. Thats braindead defending!

binary bot
That's your interpretation. Try and stand someone up like that while turning with your hands by your side. It's just god awful positioning.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Mental criticism. How many red cards Rafael has got? How many penalties has he given away? In the last 3 years? Never mind the years, let's just count the games he's played in. You can accuse him of momentary lapse of concentration, but he was consistently our best defender last season. You can't fault him especially this year, when every one of our players are having a mare. Your criticism is over the top regarding his desire for tackles. Would you say the same holds true for Rooney?
Rafa should have had more red cards, but ref's have took pity on him do you not think?

He should been sent off yest for a start!

I love Rafa, but he's a loose canon many times. You cant be that way in his position. Especially when he bombs forward so much & leaves the back line open.

I agree that our backline doesnt seem to have the same desire as Rafa. He's a gem, but just loses his head all over the pitch & ref's give him the benefit. That'll grow old as he gets older.

He's got "small man syndrome" it seems...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
"The refs took pity on him" :lol:

He's got sent off twice and one of them (Spurs) was a little unlucky if anything.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Rafa should have had more red cards, but ref's have took pity on him do you not think?

He should been sent off yest for a start!

I love Rafa, but he's a loose canon many times. You cant be that way in his position. Especially when he bombs forward so much & leaves the back line open.

I agree that our backline doesnt seem to have the same desire as Rafa. He's a gem, but just loses his head all over the pitch & ref's give him the benefit. That'll grow old as he gets older.

He's got "small man syndrome" it seems...
Based on this season its his job to bomb forward.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish

He's got sent off twice and one of them (Spurs) was a little unlucky if anything.
They do man. Some of his tackles are yellow worthy, but he escapes them some how. Great for us, but annoying for opposing fans.

He's a great wee player & probably our best defender atm. He just needs to stop being so reckless at times - especially in big games..

Ekeke

It was a clear handball, it happens sometimes when you get caught out of position and the ball bounces up like that. As for how good Rafael was? He worked hard with little fruitfulness. Flanagan, who also could have been sent off like Rafael could have been earlier, was better.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

Should have been sent off yesterday, escaped a straight red against Chelsea in the last minutes as well.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Rafael was better than Flannagan. As well as improving defensively as the game wore on he did a lot more going forward as well. Created the chance for Rooney for as well.

Eugenius

Vidic's penalty was far more brainless than Rafael's. Especially when you consider the experience of Vidic and the fact that he's captain. A lot of hypocrisy in the thread after last season when Rafael was in the top 2 right backs in the league and so many people said how difficult it was for him to shake his reputation of being naive defensively and rash and yet after one game youse all are saying the same! Despite the fact he's probably been our best outfield player in the last two games.

Gladiator

Well I think there is a line between passion and overly aggressive and reckless. However thin the line may be there still is a line. Don't get me wrong I like Rafael's passion for the most part and he really has cut out a lot of his rashness. It's these moments that others are mentioning where he makes a mistake or a call goes against him and he'll seem to lose it a bit. I don't know if he is trying to over compensate or what but as an opponent after he gets that call against him and you can see the frustration in him I am sure they are looking to point him out and attack at him. Like yesterday the late tackle on Gerrard and then a minute later the hand-ball which was pure madness.

Don't lose the passion but after that first yellow card or mistake that sets him off he needs to just calm down put it behind him and play his regular game which I don't feel he does. He let's it get in his mind and makes him think he has to do something to put it right and it leads to another overly aggressive challenge or mistake. As I said before he was one of our better players but he should have been sent off after 35 minutes.
agreed

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Just nipped in this thread to give a little praise to our RB.

He's playing with such heart and fire, albeit a little rashly at times, but he is showing the desire most of the other players seem to have lost. He's obviously been asked to work further down the wing, maybe to let Janus or Mata move inside a little more, and he's doing a great job. He's put some belting passes and crosses into the box and I'll bet his next goal won't be far away now.

Carry on the sterling work Rafa lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.