Rafael da Silva | 2010-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
The least of our worries. He hasn't had a great season but the squad lacks pace, skill, confidence, and fight - precisely the same things Rafael brings to the table.

Ekeke

Him getting lots of the ball down the right is something the opposition are generally happy to allow as they mark more dangerous outlets

thepolice123

Don't think he was at fault for the first goal. If anything, it should be the midfielders. They let Silva drive into the box without picking him up and Rafael saved our arses with a last ditch tackle. When the pass came back to Nasri, he'd just gotten up his feet. The whole defence were under to much pressure.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His execution is bad, but he often has the right idea, look at his cross for Rooney/Mata, there was few of those in recent weeks, but most of them are underhit/overhit.

Kag

His crossing lead to our only two real chances of the match. Go figure. It needs work, definitely, but he's had a lot of attacking responsibility this season, often playing as a winger and full back. It'll improve with confidence and game time.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
More idiotic shit. I'm sick of him and his reckless approach to defending.

People might praise his attacking play but it's nowhere near good enough to overlook his pathetic defending at times.

Castia

Always seems to be on a yellow card and is always giving away daft free kicks, he's been shite lately.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
12 min: Rafael is an increasingly clumsy liability. He clatters into the back of Agbonlahor, who is making good down the inside-left channel. That's a free kick, just to the left of the D, in a very dangerous position. And a booking for the full back, who will be treading on eggshells for the best part of 80 minutes. And in serious danger of a red card if his recent display against Liverpool is anything to go by, which it is.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/29/manchester-united-aston-villa-live-mbm

Damn right. Sick to death of the fanboys on here getting annoyed when anyone suggests we need a new RB. He's injured half the time and we have to play a CB in his place, and when he does play he's a liability far too often.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He is shit this season but that was hardly his fault, he had to make that foul as Agbonlahor would be in great chance from open play anyway, and Ashley Young was the player who gave them a ball in dangerous place, that goal was his fault all day long.

MoneyMay

Young gave it away (which doesn't mean Rafael should have fouled him), so he was hardly helped. Plus, it looked like Agbonlahor was through on goal if a foul wasn't made. Maybe that was the thinking when he made the foul? I would also blame the structure of the wall.

He hasn't had an awful season, that isn't really fair. He had a good first half of the season (when he was fit he contributed well) and an inconsistent second half. Some of the criticism is overboard.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
He had to make the foul really, young sold the whole defence out and their striker was going to simply run past Vidic and have a clear chance

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
It seemed like he didn't trust Vidic against Bangalore. However, it still is a soft yellow card and he needs to cut it out. This season can't end enough soon for Rafael.

NM

It seemed like he didn't trust Vidic against Bangalore. However, it still is a soft yellow card and he needs to cut it out. This season can't end enough soon for Rafael.
I wouldn't trust Vidic if he was taking on the entire city of Bangalore either.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I love him and think he is a great RB who is by far our best option and shows as much fight and passion as anyone. Yes, he can be rash but that's the price you pay for his type of player. Some fans either have him as great or woeful, it's ok to have a common ground where you can realise both his strenghts and weaknesses.

binary bot
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/29/manchester-united-aston-villa-live-mbm

Damn right. Sick to death of the fanboys on here getting annoyed when anyone suggests we need a new RB. He's injured half the time and we have to play a CB in his place, and when he does play he's a liability far too often.
We have 8 or so liabilities in the current team if you're so fast to forget last season.

You also have a habit of calling anyone with a differing opinion to you a fanboy.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Because of his injuries record alone I'd like to see us bring a new first-choice right back in the summer or basically somebody with who he'd have to fight for the first spot rather than somebody who would be granted the bench. He's having a shit season, yea, but he's as well constantly injured so we need some very good cover.

footballgirl07

New Rafael interview: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...er-united-final-game-against-southampton.aspx

Rafael hopes to feature
Rafael has revealed he could be in contention to appear in the final match of Manchester United's season at Southampton.

The dynamic defender has been sidelined since going off at half-time with a hamstring injury against Aston Villa at the end of March, but he's keen for a chance to play under interim boss Ryan Giggs.

"Maybe I can play in the last game," he told ManUtd.com. "Let's see. I've been injured for about six weeks now so it was a bad injury.

"To be honest, I first got injured in the Liverpool game but I just kept going and played in another three games before the Villa match. It then got a bit worse."

Although the aim will be to end a disappointing campaign on a high, the focus is already on proving this year was a mere blip when the 2014/15 season starts in August.

"We think about the last game but then look ahead to next season," the right-back added. "I believe everyone is thinking about next year, although we know we have one last game to play. Everyone wants to show the real Manchester United for next season. Honestly, we just have to forget this season. It was bad but we'll start again next term."

With Jones injured I'm guessing it will be Valencia or Smalling at RB is he isn't fit.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I'm close to his biggest fan but can admit that he hasn't been up top his usual standards. It can be put down to a few things, fitness, the teams poor form, Moyes etc. Hopefully he can have a good rest and get over any injuries during the off-season. Sad not to see him in the Brazil squad, if he continued his form of last season, he would have been there (politics aside).

We do need to invest in another RB but I want and really do see Rafael as our number one RB.

LR7

I love Rafa. My favourite player in the team by an absolute mile. It'll be nice to have him back, even for one meaningless game. I don't think he's been that bad this season. Didn't quite hit the dizzy heights of last season but there was a drop-off in almost everyone bar DDG, Rooney and Welbeck. I think some of our more injury prone players might benefit from the less robust, running-orientated training methods and I think LvG will love him.

Robbie Boy

I honestly don't know what has happened to him this season. He is obviously a-tad overrated on here but by all accounts, he was top notch last season. This season he has been so erratic and is constantly getting early bookings and commiting stupid fouls. Not quite sure what's happened to the lad. I'm hoping it's just a dip in form but it's worrying.

Last edited:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I'm more worried about his ability to stay fit. Played more than 45 minutes in only 15 premier league games this season. Thats pathetic. Without having a backup its also fecked with Jones and Smallings progression with both of them filling in at RB and stopping both from getting a run of games in the middle.

Rafa will hopefully be back to his best under Van Gaal, but he'll have to improve his discipline and temperament or the 2 could easily fall out.

Brightonian

Fitness is his only issue. He's a superb player. We just have to hope that he can grow out of this injury pattern. Plenty of young defenders do, and he's still only 23.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe the training regimes of van Gaal will help our players like Rafael, van Persie and whoever else stay fit.

footballgirl07

Fitness is his only issue. He's a superb player. We just have to hope that he can grow out of this injury pattern. Plenty of young defenders do, and he's still only 23.
I agree. Hopefully a fresh start next season he can regain his confidence and play like he did last season. We really miss him when he doesn't play and I don't mean in oh we have to play Smalling/Jones/Valencia way. He adds so much to our right side in attack.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
So, how many times this season has happened that we play players who are injured? Was our logic that we play our injured players and that they will eventually become fit again.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
Maybe the training regimes of van Gaal will help our players like Rafael, van Persie and whoever else stay fit.
Why? What does van Gaal do differently compared to other managers?

DWelbz19

Why? What does van Gaal do differently compared to other managers?
I wouldn't know the specifics. But it's clear that Moyes' was different to Sir Alex's, many even came out saying so, with mentions that he had a stronger focus on defensive drills and fitness. Different bodies respond [positively or negatively] to different styles.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
I wouldn't know the specifics. But it's clear that Moyes' was different to Sir Alex's, many even came out saying so, with mentions that he had a stronger focus on defensive drills and fitness. Different bodies respond [positively or negatively] to different styles.
But Rafael was injury prone under SAF as well.

DWelbz19

But Rafael was injury prone under SAF as well.
Maybe van Gaal's methodology will benefit Rafael better than either of our last two managers? I'm not saying he'd become bionic, but maybe we could see him feature a lot more than we have recently. We'll have to wait and see, mate.

DWelbz19

Yup. The two of them are actually good friends I think.
#BrazilRejects :nervous:

Status
Not open for further replies.