g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Rafael image 2

Rafael Brazil flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Phil Jones alone did that by going for a ball that was never his to win. Absolute brainless defending. Furious with it.
And Shaws for the first. I hate idiocy like that. If you are not getting the ball at least make sure the man getting it in front of you wont be able to do anything with it

footballgirl07

Jones was going to win the ball. Yeah, it was rash but Rafael didn't need to cover. Just hold the line and Berainho was off.

Why was he even so deep ? Makes no sense.
The point I was making was if Jones had of held his initial position and not ran after the ball unnecessary, there would not of been the gap for Beharinho to exploit. Beharinho was Jones man, not Rafaels. He was doing his job and has others said, there wasn't much in the offside. Jones is at a fault for the goal.

FromTheBench

He was indeed sloppy for their second goal, but I agree that Jones was all over the place for that goal - Rojo's pace trying to catch up with Berahino was bloody impressive though!

That's my gripe with Jones; he is a little bit all over the place for my liking. If there ever was a player out of position it would be him.
Rojo should have been covering across initially as well as Caragher just pointed out. There was no one else to mark and Shaw should come across.

Tracking the winger.
What winger was there ?

You don't track him beyond the line.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Thought he was generally good today, though his link up with Adnan isn't anywhere as good as it is with others. Jones was primarily at fault for the 2nd goal imo.

FromTheBench

The point I was making was if Jones had of held his initial position and not ran after the ball unnecessary, there would not of been the gap for Beharinho to exploit. Beharinho was Jones man, not Rafaels. He was doing his job and has others said, there wasn't much in the offside. Jones is at a fault for the goal.
The ball was too high up the pitch for him to be anyone's man. Blind was missing and too high and Jones went too rash i agree.

But when you are playing high pressing high line chasing the game those kind of things happen in the first line. Defensive organisation needs to be there to cover and hold the line.

For both goals you can point the finger at 3/4 people tbf each but it was overall organization to blame which comes down to LVG.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Good going forward but everything he did got fecked up by breaking that line. It's always one of CBs that's drafting the line he has to stick to, it's a fecking schoolboy error.

And no, to me Jones ineptitude doesn't really justify him breaking the trap.

Rossa

Thought he was generally good today, though his link up with Adnan isn't anywhere as good as it is with others. Jones was primarily at fault for the 2nd goal imo.
Could just be me picking up weird signals like a 14 year old girl, but the chemistry between Januzaj and Rafael down that line didn't seem all that great. They didn't play to each others strengths and Rafael made run after run without being used - I'm surprised he didn't stop trying...

montpelier

I wouldn't blame Rafael for that one - we looked a bit 'high' to me, even before anything had happened. A more defensive minded FB might have bailed out Jones, or better understanding as a unit, but these things happen.

FromTheBench

Are you blaming Rojo or claiming he made a good attempt?
He was slow to track the initial run covering across but then made a good attempt when he realized.

LVG just said that Jones doesn't need to push up but Lateral defenders need to cover and hold the line as well.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Good going forward but everything he did got fecked up by breaking that line. It's always one of CBs that's drafting the line he has to stick to, it's a fecking schoolboy error.

And no, to me Jones ineptitude doesn't really justify him breaking the trap.
Same for me. As a fullback you can look straight across and see the line. There is absolutely no excuse to ever be that far behind the line.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Could just be me picking up weird signals like a 14 year old girl, but the chemistry between Januzaj and Rafael down that line didn't seem all that great. They didn't play to each others strengths and Rafael made run after run without being used - I'm surprised he didn't stop trying...
Agreed, and the one time Adnan looked up and saw Rafael's run, he picked out a great ball to release him which should have been a goal. Think it might just be from lack of playing time so far this season, I can't remember any issue like that last year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Phil Jones alone did that by going for a ball that was never his to win. Absolute brainless defending. Furious with it.
The backline at that instant was weird, Rafael was 2 yards deeper than Rojo, Shaw a yard further and Philistine was in midfield pressuring someone else. You can't fault one when you don't know what was supposed to be the point of reference.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jones' fault for the goal, he was OK tonight. He didn't get enough overlaps, it's easier for him in the diamond.

Rossa

Agreed, and the one time Adnan looked up and saw Rafael's run, he picked out a great ball to release him which should have been a goal. Think it might just be from lack of playing time so far this season, I can't remember any issue like that last year.
I hope so. Where was RVP for that cross, btw?

footballgirl07

Jones' fault for the goal, he was OK tonight. He didn't get enough overlaps, it's easier for him in the diamond.
Januzaj didn't use him enough in attack imo tonight. Got in some good positions but Januzaj held on to the ball too long.

ZDwyr

Probably blame Jones moreso than Rafael. Although if he had stepped up it would have been offside. Apart from that though he was fine.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Think the goal was a collective thing.

You don't often get a player running through with no one near him with only defender at fault.

3 mistakes and that will happen. If even one of them doesn't make their respective mistake, we probably at least get close to him.

DevilRed

Clearly one of our best defenders and makes a huge difference to our attack.

Although was at fault along with Jones/Rojo for the second goal. As long as they can all stay fit then maybe we can actually start becoming a cohesive back four.

footballgirl07

That vine shows our problems at the back atm. We aren't playing as a defence as a whole. Both full backs were deeper than the one CB in there and Jones should never of chased the ball. Obviously keep having to change the players hasn't helped with trying to build a solid back four. Was one of our most influential players again tonight.
EDIT:

Last edited:

Raw

I just noticed Rafael screaming at Berahino just when he was about to take his shot for the goal, obviously trying to throw him off :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Jones fault all the way for me.. no Full-back should be expected to deal with that.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I hope so. Where was RVP for that cross, btw?
EXACTLY what I said at the time - "If RVP isn't going to be in the box to put those away, he needs to be taken off"

That's the type of supply players like Falcao and Rooney will know to attack. Hopefully RVP starts on the bench for the City match.

Rednotdead

Jones fault all the way for me.. no Full-back should be expected to deal with that.
No full back should be mindlessly playing an attacker onside. You could just as well argue that if Rafael had been in the correct position Berahino would have been offside and Jones' mistake wouldn't have mattered. It's called teamwork.

footballgirl07

No full back should be mindlessly playing an attacker onside. You could just as well argue that if Rafael had been in the correct position Berahino would have been offside and Jones' mistake wouldn't have mattered. It's called teamwork.
Wouldn't of mattered anyway as over the other side of the pitch, Shaw was still behind Rojo and if Rafael had of stepped up, Shaw would of played him on instead.
Just to add that basically you mean Rafael should of expected Jones to make the mistake like that? Our line was too high as it was anyway but Rafael was in his position at full back. Jones was the one who went chasing after the ball leaving the space for Berahino to get in and we know that he has pace to burn. Teamwork isn't about knowing when your fellow defender will mess up.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wouldn't of mattered anyway as over the other side of the pitch, Shaw was still behind Rojo and if Rafael had of stepped up, Shaw would of played him on instead.
Just to add that basically you mean Rafael should of expected Jones to make the mistake like that? Our line was too high as it was anyway but Rafael was in his position at full back. Jones was the one who went chasing after the ball leaving the space for Berahino to get in and we know that he has pace to burn. Teamwork isn't about knowing when your fellow defender will mess up.
No he wasn't.

A full back's position is to be in line with the deepest central defender. It's called maintaining a defensive line. Basic defending. Rafael was at least 3 or 4 yards deeper than Rojo when Berahinho was slipped through.

Rednotdead

Teamwork is about recovering the situation when your team mate messes up. That's what good teams do.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I feel sorry for Rafael. Everyone at work blames him for the dropped points. It's a shame that people just have this opinion of him and every mistake he makes gets blown out of proportion. I was saying that he played well except one mistake but all people say is that he cost us the game with that error. It makes me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.