Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thisistheone

Was just going through some old folders and found this image - love it!

He can be a bit rash sometimes, but wouldn't swap him for any RB (not saying he is necessarily the best RB in the world, but he fits our club very well!).
Don't y'know I'm loco, essay?

Get In Scholesy

Surely losing 7-0 in a World Cup semi-final on home turf is worse than making a (albeit decisive) mistake in a Olympic final?

Out of interest, how many of the team that played against Germany in the World Cup are still in the international picture, I assume most of them?
That's a good point actually. Surely David Luiz has been given the feck off after his debacle?
Given the two must recent friendlies, Neymar, Oscar, Willian, Luiz Gustavo and most surprisingly David Luiz all featured. Surprised Dunga stripped Thiago Silva of the captaincy, well not really.. Dunga is a bit of a spastic.

Too much Politics involved in the running of the Brazil national team.
This.

Anyways, back to Rafael :)

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
One reason I can think of is that when it comes to United players, people are chomping at the bit to tear down our players for the slightest mistake and when I say people, its not just the ABUs but, our own supporters. For some reason the so called neutrals are not as quick to focus in on players at other big clubs in this way. They may get criticism but, no where near IMO what a United player gets.

If you think about what's going on with Maicon and Alves, they are probably making similar errors if not worse than Rafael but, theirs will hardly get any pundits lambasting them. So Rafael while at United has the burden of continuously having small mistakes being blown out of proportion and the myth of him being rash, hot headed and unreliable will perpetuate - which will only continue to remind the people in charge of the mistake in the Olympics despite being brilliant throughout till that point.

Funny thing is David Luiz who was responsible for Brazil failing on a lot bigger stage will not get the same treatment. Sucks for Rafael but, overall great for the club.
You give too much importance to English press in Brazil. The reason Rafael will not be called up to Brazil squad is because of the internal politics within the Brazilian FA.

Trizy

Just watching his west ham performance and realised he had the perfect game as a full back a perfect 10. Did everything right in every opportunity.
He's so good when he gets a run of games (injuries being the cause). I think he's very underrated here by some even by those who love him, his crossing is some of the best we have too.

ZDwyr

He'll be important against Chelsea (so without the risk of jinxing it, please don't get injured Rafa)

LR7

Just watching his west ham performance and realised he had the perfect game as a full back a perfect 10. Did everything right in every opportunity.
A game of two halves. Brilliant attacking performance from him in the first half and a brilliant defensive performance in the second half. He's my favourite bar none.

The quotes from that MEN article are also fantastic:

“I love my life here,” he told ESPN. “It is the best place to work.

“I feel I’ve adapted to here. The first time I came here I was 15. I came here to train three or four times a year for 15 days.

“I was just 15 and now I’m almost coming up to 10 years here next July.

“It’s a long time. I’m almost a Mancunian. Almost.

“As long as Manchester United want me here, I want to stay, but I have to prove this out on the pitch.

“I need to put in good performances – I don’t want to go anywhere else.”
:drool: I don't want him to go anywhere else either.

Ryan7

I really hope he isn't replaced. The past year or so there's been constant speculation of neither Moyes nor van Gaal being fans of him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really hope he isn't replaced. The past year or so there's been constant speculation of neither Moyes nor van Gaal being fans of him.
Its really hard to understand why. The mirror are reporting we want Darmian to replace Rafa tonight. So strange..

Ryan7

Its really hard to understand why. The mirror are reporting we want Darmian to replace Rafa tonight. So strange..
Maybe some of it last season stemmed from him not being as good as the year before, but the same can be said for every other player. So it made no sense to single him out, especially as there were far worse.

This season, whilst it's early days, he's been fantastic. He came back from a long lay out against QPR and offered more attacking threat in 45 minutes than Valencia had so far this season. He was brilliant in Fergie's last season as well. Would be gutting to see him replaced.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I hope he's here for a long time. The rumours of Alves are annoying. He's half the player he used to be, and it's the very same player who is keeping Rafael from playing for Brazil. He certainly shouldn't be keeping him out of the United side too. If fit, Rafael should be playing. He just keeps getting better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I hope he's here for a long time. The rumours of Alves are annoying. He's half the player he used to be, and it's the very same player who is keeping Rafael from playing for Brazil. He certainly shouldn't be keeping him out of the United side too. If fit, Rafael should be playing. He just keeps getting better.
I don't think he'd be brought in as first choice anyways, we need cover for right back and that's exactly what Alves would be.

Ryan7

I don't think he'd be brought in as first choice anyways, we need cover for right back and that's exactly what Alves would be.
You'd hope so, but his wages would be quite high for a player being a back up only.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Right back is one of the positions in a squad where you can have a reserve team player as your depth. If you want a more reliable back up option, you don't go and spend well over 100k a week on it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Depth is fine. Rafael is fantastic though, and there's no way we should replace him.

footballgirl07

What was he even doing for their 2nd goal ? Hold the line.

Was okay today otherwise but he is brilliant in home games this season.
For the second goal, yes he should of stepped up but I still can't get my head around Jones just blindly running after the ball. There was no need for him to do that and the space left behind ment there was noway Rafael could of covered for him.

Was good going forward again and got some great tackles in. Lets not talk about that shot though.... Nice link up play with Adnan but WBA defence cleared Rafael cross well.

FromTheBench

For the second goal, yes he should of stepped up but I still can't get my head around Jones just blindly running after the ball. There was no need for him to do that and the space left behind ment there was noway Rafael could of covered for him.
Jones was going to win the ball. Yeah, it was rash but Rafael didn't need to cover. Just hold the line and Berainho was off.

Why was he even so deep ? Makes no sense.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was at fault for that goal but would hardly have been my prime candidate for criticism today.

Rossa

He was indeed sloppy for their second goal, but I agree that Jones was all over the place for that goal - Rojo's pace trying to catch up with Berahino was bloody impressive though!

That's my gripe with Jones; he is a little bit all over the place for my liking. If there ever was a player out of position it would be him.

Status
Not open for further replies.