g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Rafael image 2

Rafael Brazil flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm going to say he didn't have a direct opponent today and there was a couple of crosses that went in near him. He doesn't match up with a man when crosses go in towards the back post - when the back post is his area if you see what I mean. Look I'm also busy praising Valencia against the 'haterz' so we need to conclude that I'm right and you're all wrong fairly soon.

I can go to 8 1/2 today possibly but that's it really, this best RB in the League/World is silly talk tho.
If the back post is his area why would he leave it to pick up a man?

Also worth pointing out he cleared off the line from that area in the first half.

montpelier

If the back post is his area why would he leave it to pick up a man?
This is close to the issue I have with him, tbh. And my answer is this.

Because that's usually the key decision/awareness that you need to have when you are the back-stick defensive player. Do I need to help my CBs? Am I able to help my CBs? Where's the opposition wing player who might come in on my blindside and get a jump on me because I've not got close enough to him early enough - which is my best chance of doing a very difficult thing and marking him out of connecting with a quality cross. Fortunately a lot of the wing players won't be big enough or that interested in competing for those headers either.

That's my reservation, that he doesn't, and can't do that. Although there was the 1 he defended well today, as you say, and 2 that he didn't from what I remember. It's picky because of how good he is going forward and how admirably competitive he is. On a good day, his competitiveness doesn't become a liability either but sometimes it does. It's the same with the defensive positioning issue.

As we said, he was 'done' on reputation alone last week by a f**kwit referee - referees are supposed to know better.

Both aspects are a does the good outweigh the bad (let's say less good, instead)? kinda question. You pays your money and takes your choice. I'm still slightly against I'm afraid.

But yes, he played well enough today.

Sam

Made a few vital tackles/interceptions down the right today. Watching an on form Rafael is a joy.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The kid oozes class. Plays with his heart. Another superb display.

m1y2

his defensive side of his game is very underated he showed today he s world class defender and set up the first goal as well. Stay fit Rafa!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Great display today and provided plenty of penetration down the right flank. Absolutely bossed Pienaar till he went off and he has been one of our best players so far this season. If I'm really picky then I would say it would be great if he could just improve his composure at the back a wee bit.

He seems to love clearing the ball more often than not when we are defending deep but perhaps should look to conserve possession whenever possible and take the sting out of the opposition's momentum. Just felt that Rojo and Rafael were guilty of doing these a couple of times towards the end of the match which meant that we were ceding possession unnecessarily to the opposition and just inviting pressure onto ourselves. I'm not saying we always have to recklessly play out from the back or be like Barcelona but a bit more composure at the back would be welcome. Shaw, Blackett and McNair looked bloody composed and weren't too hasty with their clearances whilst only clearing the ball when they really had to.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Does anyone have a GIF of the exact moment where Rafael cleanly takes a cross pass from di Maria beautifully with his chest and continues running? He's so good at that, it's amazing.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Great display today and provided plenty of penetration down the right flank. Absolutely bossed Pienaar till he went off and he has been one of our best players so far this season. If I'm really picky then I would say it would be great if he could just improve his composure at the back a wee bit.

He seems to love clearing the ball more often than not when we are defending deep but perhaps should look to conserve possession whenever possible and take the sting out of the opposition's momentum. Just felt that Rojo and Rafael were guilty of doing these a couple of times towards the end of the match which meant that we were ceding possession unnecessarily to the opposition and just inviting pressure onto ourselves. I'm not saying we always have to recklessly play out from the back or be like Barcelona but a bit more composure at the back would be welcome. Shaw, Blackett and McNair looked bloody composed and weren't too hasty with their clearances whilst only clearing the ball when they really had to.
I don't know about that. I think he mixes it perfectly. There are times you just need to smash it and get organized and then are times where you can play it out and go on the counter. He does both very well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Been great since coming back from injury. If he stays fit he's the most complete right back in the league for me, injuries have always held him back.

Djemba-Djemba

Lovely to see him back and playing so well, he's one of my favourites is Rafael.

We look so much more balanced with him at right back, if those rumours about Van Gaal not rating him in pre-season were true you'd have to say hopefully he's changed his mind since then. Rafael has been one of our best players this season.

SteveW

Terrific again today. Excellent defensively and some great crosses. He's a player that gets really harshly treated by the media imo. He's a very good player.

Hed Zitin

I wouldn't swap him with any right back. feck the haters.

Get lost Alvez. We have a lad that gets this club and loves playing for it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I honestly think he is the most important player in our team to keep fit and ready to go. The quality of his back ups is laughable.

wr8_utd

:'(
I am really really worried about what happens when he gets injured. Rafael has been absolutely brilliant since coming back and has played a major role in many of our goals. Can't even imagine the alternative of playing Valencia/Jones/Smalling there.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
thought that was a terrific display today, who else can get up and back like that all game?
Would be interested what his critics had to say about that one.

Fahad Jawaid

I love this guy, so much passion and determination to win, i wouldn't even trade him for Lahm, thats how much i rate him, the only thing stops this guy is injuries, he has the potential to be the best RB in the world, the one we have at the LB isn't bad either, wow what a set of fullbacks. :drool:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
thought that was a terrific display today, who else can get up and back like that all game?
Would be interested what his critics had to say about that one.
Apparently he's dodgy in defence, and staying on his post to clear off the line is evidence of his poor decision making.

sajeev

He was brilliant in 2012-12, and started off last season too quite well. I thought he was our best player till around November and coped well with Moyes. But then he got injured and then the Moyes effect well and truly kicked in.

If you go back and watch the earlier parts of last season (i don't know why you would want to do that though), you would see that he was one of the few who were coping with the change brought about by Moyes. Then he got injured, and Moyes used him sporadically and even Rafael too lost confidence and form.

I think he is absolutely brilliant, a real leader. I would go so far as to say he is a real character like Keane and Robson, and a bigger fighter than even the likes of G.Neville. I hope he gets the Evra attribute of staying fit, which is the only thing missing.

Aussie_Red_Devil

I was positive when him and his brother arrived that Fabio would go on to be a star for us and Rafa would maybe be a back up for us or shipped off overseas. How wrong I was he is clearly top class and one of the best in the league.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I feel like he can reach new heights in this team. The style of attack is suited to him, and the quality of the team helps his contribution look even better.

JUST STAY HEALTHY

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Word about Mcnair as well, superbly played Lukaku today. Rafael was superb today. Pienaar or Baines, he just handled them so well. Whatever happened to Coleman today? Was he injured?

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
This is close to the issue I have with him, tbh. And my answer is this.

Because that's usually the key decision/awareness that you need to have when you are the back-stick defensive player. Do I need to help my CBs? Am I able to help my CBs? Where's the opposition wing player who might come in on my blindside and get a jump on me because I've not got close enough to him early enough - which is my best chance of doing a very difficult thing and marking him out of connecting with a quality cross. Fortunately a lot of the wing players won't be big enough or that interested in competing for those headers either.

That's my reservation, that he doesn't, and can't do that. Although there was the 1 he defended well today, as you say, and 2 that he didn't from what I remember. It's picky because of how good he is going forward and how admirably competitive he is. On a good day, his competitiveness doesn't become a liability either but sometimes it does. It's the same with the defensive positioning issue.

As we said, he was 'done' on reputation alone last week by a f**kwit referee - referees are supposed to know better.

Both aspects are a does the good outweigh the bad (let's say less good, instead)? kinda question. You pays your money and takes your choice. I'm still slightly against I'm afraid.

But yes, he played well enough today.
What is this then? So, he can't do/doesn't do the key decision/awareness a fullback needs, and he played well as a fullback? :houllier:

footballgirl07

Word about Mcnair as well, superbly played Lukaku today. Rafael was superb today. Pienaar or Baines, he just handled them so well. Whatever happened to Coleman today? Was he injured?
Coleman got injured v Wolfsberg and including yesterdays match, has missed the last 5 games because of the injury.

Hellboy

His attitude is really amazing. He's been criticized and written off so many times and his response has always been spot on. Lucky to have him here, he seems to genuinely love the club.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Speaking to 3 United fans at work this morning. They all seem to be muttering "We need to sort out Right Back". "Fine going forward. Shit defender".

I just don't get it. Since returning from injury, he's not really put a foot wrong. Not only that, but he's been among our best players. Man of the Match even, against West Ham.

Are we all living on a different planet to non-Caf football watchers? It feels like it sometimes. Before this, it was months and months of "De Gea's shite" over the past 2 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.