Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

I'm sure he's as annoyed as us. Quit the insults.

We do desperately need cover and competition for Rafael and I expect Van Gaal to bring somebody in as early as January.
Makes me wish we still had Fabio, to be honest.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
At this point I'm starting to wonder about trade-offs between training sessions that keep players match fit versus increased injury risk. I just don't hear about players getting hurt in practice as much in American Football or basketball.

Truedevil

Chambers would have been a good investment in the summer.

We should go for Dani Alves or any other avaliable right back in January, we just can't count with Rafael for a season.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Two of Jones, Smalling, Evans and Rafael aren't going to make it here, imo.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
For all the moaning about our training regimes, why is it that it's always the usual suspects that picks up knocks in trainings?

Jones, Rafael, Smalling, Evans.

Kag

Players like Dani Alves, with nothing left to prove other than how much money they can make in their 30s, really aren't the kind of signings we should be making, for what it's worth.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Players like Dani Alves, with nothing left to prove other than how much money they can make in their 30s, really aren't the kind of signings we should be making, for what it's worth.
Xabi Alonso plays for Bayern Munich like he has won nothing at all in his career so.........

If Dani Alves would join QPR then i agree with you.....but a move to us can give players like Dani Alves a "new life"

jem

At this point I'm starting to wonder about trade-offs between training sessions that keep players match fit versus increased injury risk. I just don't hear about players getting hurt in practice as much in American Football or basketball.
I think they do get hurt, but those sports, particularly American Football, seem to have greater scope for playing with a knock, than football does. It takes something pretty catastrophic to keep an American Footballer out (ex. torn ACL.)

Skywarden

Would people be incline to agree with me that he's in need of proper competition for the RB spot? I have really tried to defend his inconsistency but it's getting really tough now.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Would people be incline to agree with me that he's in need of proper competition for the RB spot? I have really tried to defend his inconsistency but it's getting really tough now.
I don't know how the competition is going to help him with his injuries - and apart from them he is one of our best and most consistent performers. What do you mean by inconsistency?
He needs a decent cover though

DevilRed

Sometimes I almost feel depressed when I see these threads being bumped right before a match. Just gutted to see yet another defender go down with an injury in training.

Rafael was critical to our attack/defence and really provided us with a presence on the right flank. Big loss for us.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
For all the moaning about our training regimes, why is it that it's always the usual suspects that picks up knocks in trainings?

And... Falcao :(

footballgirl07

We need adequate back up but seriously. he has picked up a knock and trained the following day after getting it. One missed game on here (and this isn't directed and you) and everyone is like, oh he is always injured, isn't good enough, made of glass etc. Except that he misses one game and in all the other games he has played, he has been one of our best and influential players.
I wouldn't go that far. Have you forgotten his last few performances in a United shirt?
I'm guessing you haven't been watching him since the Swans match? But to the previous post, no. Fabio isn't good enough for us but better than where he is at currently.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

It does always seem to be those 4 - I dont know if there are any stats out there of how many games any have managed to play without getting injured. TBF Evans did start pretty regularly a couple of seasons ago.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
van Gaal just said 'Rafael is injured....again'.

There can't be much room in the sort of small squad that van Gaal says he favours for injury-prone players, I would have thought.

Come on Rafael, stay fit mate.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I'm guessing you haven't been watching him since the Swans match? But to the previous post, no. Fabio isn't good enough for us but better than where he is at currently.
No, I haven't to be honest. But however he is doing in the Championship is impossible to apply to how he would have been doing if he'd never left, which is the post I was responding to.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
We need a back up. I'm not looking forward to Valencia on the right again ffs

footballgirl07

No, I haven't to be honest. But however he is doing in the Championship is impossible to apply to how he would have been doing if he'd never left, which is the post I was responding to.
I know but I was just responding about your comment on his last appearance in united shirt, which I felt was a little harsh. For whatever reason Moyes left him out after that one start v palace. Sent to the u-21s and then only comes on in the cup match because rio got injured. So was chucked in a bit and sadly that seems to be peoples memories of fabio. When he did put in some good games for us. Few and far between due too his injuries obviously. But, like I said in his thread. He stays fit and plays well like he is, will be a good buy for mid table teams in PL. Not us though.

slir32

Surely know he has to be a backup next season his injury record is not good enough for United.

Skywarden

I don't know how the competition is going to help him with his injuries - and apart from them he is one of our best and most consistent performers. What do you mean by inconsistency?
He needs a decent cover though
We need adequate back up but seriously. he has picked up a knock and trained the following day after getting it. One missed game on here (and this isn't directed and you) and everyone is like, oh he is always injured, isn't good enough, made of glass etc. Except that he misses one game and in all the other games he has played, he has been one of our best and influential players.

My question has nothing to do with his current injury or injury record but his inconsistent mentality. Offensively he's fine but defensively he still has those annoying lapses and it does cost us.

m1y2

we really did a bad decision sending Varela to Madrid. He was ready to step up even at the end of the last season. He is natural successor to Rafael, very similar in style, could play both flanks, now we have to stick with Valencia. How much Azpilacueta would cost? also can cover both flanks as well as Clyne.. but maybe I´m getting carried away too much..

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He got injured once..
So he's not an usual suspect.
I meant it's not just the usual suspects as Falcao picked up an injury too. It's obviously more of a worry with the 4 originally mentioned though, as it's the same old story with them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My question has nothing to do with his current injury or injury record but his inconsistent mentality. Offensively he's fine but defensively he still has those annoying lapses and it does cost us.
Can't agree with you at all.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I know but I was just responding about your comment on his last appearance in united shirt, which I felt was a little harsh. For whatever reason Moyes left him out after that one start v palace. Sent to the u-21s and then only comes on in the cup match because rio got injured. So was chucked in a bit and sadly that seems to be peoples memories of fabio. When he did put in some good games for us. Few and far between due too his injuries obviously. But, like I said in his thread. He stays fit and plays well like he is, will be a good buy for mid table teams in PL. Not us though.
I'd agree with you there.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I think they do get hurt, but those sports, particularly American Football, seem to have greater scope for playing with a knock, than football does. It takes something pretty catastrophic to keep an American Footballer out (ex. torn ACL.)
Players get hurt all the time-but (and maybe it's an incorrect perception) not so much in practice. In fact, Amercan football teams have drastically changed their practice routines in response to research on the impact of collisions in practice on head injuries. Most American football teams will limit contact drills during the season to limit injuries.

I'm wondering if something similar should be thought about for football (soccer). Or, maybe, United are just unlucky.

Hed Zitin

We're going to see a fresh backline next season and Rafa as much as I rate him won't be first choice. I'm predicting we'll see a new RB and two CB's.

Kag

Xabi Alonso plays for Bayern Munich like he has won nothing at all in his career so.........

If Dani Alves would join QPR then i agree with you.....but a move to us can give players like Dani Alves a "new life"
We should be capable of picking up talented full backs via our scouting system. Blasting a shitload on wages for Alves, who I'd only want as cover, is not the route I want to see the club head down. Screams Maicon to me. I take your point regarding Alonso but all cases are individual. I still think he's a good signing for any top club, probably on reasonable wages.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
We should be capable of picking up talented full backs via our scouting system. Blasting a shitload on wages for Alves, who I'd only want as cover, is not the route I want to see the club head down. Screams Maicon to me. I take your point regarding Alonso but all cases are individual. I still think he's a good signing for any top club, probably on reasonable wages.
Alves wouldn't be my first choice.....Coleman or Piszczek would be great

footballgirl07

Was obvious we would miss him today and I don't mean in the fact that Valencia is our only back up RB and can't defend. He gives a lot to the team and always looks for the forward pass and a willing runner. We are getting thrashed down our right today, every time City attack.

Eugenius

Yup. When i woke up and saw the first xi, i had a feeling we would be up against it. He starts or plays apart in all of our attacks.
Very true. Think we missed him going forward more than anything. I think Valencia got into an advanced position once in the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.