Rafael da Silva: Van Gaal called me and said "You can leave. The meeting lasted 1 minute"

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
LVG was a somewhat hilarious character who just about steadied the ship, but, he muddied the waters at great deal too. Very few managers burn bright for more than a decade. He was not one of them.
He didn’t steady shit. He just ruined our football for 2 years. A top class manager would have provided results within the first season.

Silas

Wonder what his conversations with Di Maria were like.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Everything points to him being terrible at actually managing people. I bet the players dreaded the meeting all the way through lunch.

Fergie did so much to make United feel like a family. Can only the imagine the buzz around the place when he was about. By all accounts, van Gaal burnt that to the ground.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I highly suggest reading the full article. Great stories in there.

Rafael was a brilliant player and one of the most likeable characters we've had.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The interview was great. When i had read it all, i had pretty much forgot the bit about LvG.
Rafael is a great guy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This is Woodward & not LVG - LVG complained about United trying to be merchandise club. LVG made horrible transfers - but consider season 1 vs season 2; think its pretty obvious that Woodward has a big say in some of the transfers that went through.
Yeah I'd say that's fair, but the post I was responding to was arguing he helped bring back star names to Old Trafford so if it's on Woodward, it probably disproves that argument even further.

IRELANDUNITED

http://www.espn.in/football/club/ma...ed-full-back-rafael-da-silva-talks-to-espn-fc

"Van Gaal is not a bad coach, but I didn't like his character. One day, I was in the canteen waiting to eat. Van Gaal used to speak to us after we'd eaten each day. I had a head injury after a game at Yeovil -- one of the few games I played in that season -- and I was touching my injury. After three or four seconds, he touched my head and said: 'Why don't you respect me?'

"I stood up and said: 'I always respect you. I've never said anything which was disrespectful to you.' I am a patient guy, but I got angry then. I had done nothing wrong. Antonio [Valencia] later said to me: 'You're not going to play again.' Players didn't speak back to Van Gaal. Antonio was almost right; I barely played again. I love Manchester United, but I was so desperate to leave United. Only one man did that because I liked everything about the place. I couldn't handle him anymore."

And we love you, Rafael.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Great, great article. Rafael was a guy who gets what it means to play for United. Would love for him to work for the club when his playing days are over.

prath92

Rafael's interviews are always great, always great little stories.

For some reason we have fans who were happy to replace him with Darmian, and are still glad we sold him. You really need to be clueless about football to be happy about selling player who you haven't found replacement even three years after.
No you can be happy you sold the player and he has done nothing of note since then. Selling rafael was the right decision. Like selling welbeck, Nani etc. they have done very little to nothing after they left.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Great interview. The Van Gaal years were awful to watch, one of the reason was because his possession football just didn't fit the club, regardless of the players He bought.

And yet some people want us to play 'beautiful, attacking, possession football" ala Pep.
Possession football and Manchester United were a disaster, not only because of how boring and shite it was, the results were also mediocre. I agree that We should play more attacking football but I'd rather the "quick on the break and score more than what they scored" ala Fergie than another possession football. It just doesn't seem right for United.

Never cared much about the ball possession stats, the excitement doesn't come from there.

Micky Targaryen

Loved Rafael, loved his attitude towards the club and a fighter on the pitch.

What's this about Rafael being frequently being injured for us? I thought it was Fabio who was the one living in the physio room. IIRC, Rafael played quite a fair chunk of games in our title winning season.

Favourite moment of him was when he squared off with Tevez.

Also, feck off LVG.

Green_Red

What did Rafael want? When anyone loses their job the conversation only lasts a minute. What's so special about him? Did he want a steak Diane, a prawn cocktail and the full kimono treatment?

Nikelesh Reddy

LVG and Brazilian footballers don't mix.
Not surprising really....Brazilians are known to be free spirits who are fiercely individualistic in their approach,and we know everything about LVG's philosophy....

Canagel

Van Gaal's damage was so much worse than Moyes. The worst part is he gave this illusion that progress was being made.
Respect? Van Gaal is the reason we’re still so crap. He instilled such a garbage mentality and style even Mourinho had to talk about letting go of that.

Moyes was just incompetent he had no plan just cross it and attack it but there was no lasting damage. Van Gaal destroying all of our attacking mentality. Got rid of top players and replaced them with garbage.

Van Gaal is 90 percent of the reason why we are where we are. He deserves more criticism than what he gets. He set us back so far the Mourinho needed a whole season just to undo that.
I totally agree. Moyes was just out of his depth like you said but there was no lasting damage. I get the feeling that the senior players never trusted him from day 1. He should never have been anywhere near a United dugout. Van Gaal is the one who's set us back years and destroyed the club. He was given a lot of time and money to rebuild the squad and failed miserably. We are still trying to shift out the deadwood he bought almost two years after his departure. His safety first mentality is still ingrained in this team. He sold players but then didn't replace them adequately. Failed to get the best from his own signings and then he blames the club for not giving him a 3rd year. If we'd given another year we would've been set back even further. IMO he should've gone after 1 season. He didn't deserve another year. 7th to 4th papers over the cracks. We didn't have CL football and 4th was the bare minimum with the squad that he had. His biggest achievement is brainwashing fans into thinking there was progress. What progress? In Moyes season we had 64 points. LVG 1st season had 70 points and then the final year 66 points. So basically we were still in the same position. Van Gaal took a terrible squad and left a similarly terrible squad whilst spending over 250m on it. And we are led to believe that he was laying the foundations....

Last edited:

Canagel

We all sat here and called Di Maria a snake and all sorts of names but now I'm starting to understand that maybe he was right to leave all along. Di Maria may have wanted to join PSG anyway but I'm sure if our manager was Jose instead of Van Gaal Di Maria would've worked harder to make it success. He certainly would'nt have run away after 1 year. Who would want to work with LVG? It made Di Maria's decision a lot easier I guess.

Rafaeldagold

I totally agree. Moyes was just out of his depth like you said but there was no lasting damage. I get the feeling that the senior players never trusted him from day 1. He should never have been anywhere near a United dugout. Van Gaal is the one who's set us back years and destroyed the club. He was given a lot of time and money to rebuild the squad and failed miserably. We are still trying to shift out the deadwood he bought almost two years after his departure. His safety first mentality is still ingrained in this team. He sold players but then didn't replace them adequately. Failed to get the best from his own signings and then he blames the club for not giving him a 3rd year. If we'd given another year we would've been set back even further. IMO he should've gone after 1 season. He didn't deserve another year. 7th to 4th papers over the cracks. We didn't have CL football and 4th was the bare minimum with the squad that he had. His biggest achievement is brainwashing fans into thinking there was progress. What progress? In Moyes season we had 64 points. LVG 1st season had 70 points and then the final year 66 points. So basically we were still in the same position. Van Gaal took a terrible squad spent vast amounts of money on it and left a terrible squad. And we are led to believe that he was laying
The LVG hate on here is really over the top.
He took over Moyes who was a complete and utter disaster, and got us

1. Back in the Champions League.

2. Back to beating the big clubs , and comfortably! Do you remember us completely dominating Liverpool at Anfield? That hasn’t happened in a long, long time.

3. Won us an FA Cup.

Again he wasn’t a perfect manager but he was the right manager at the right time to give us back credibility after the Moyes debacle and I think he deserves more respect to be honest. The hate he gets on here is ludicrously over the top.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I met some Dutch tourists in Prague a few months after LvG took over. They told me that LvG would soon became a hated figure and that nobody in Holland respects him despite their performance at the World Cup that year. I guess those crazy dutch bastards were right.
Same at work, a Dutch colleague hates him. Called him an arrogant bastard. I laughed. I was wrong

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Some of yous seriously need to get over yourselves, Rafael for all his abilities as a footballer wasn't the sharpest tool in the box, and easily led, he must've done or said something previously for LvG to react like that.
Yes. Because LVG has a reputation for not being a dictator who takes instant and irrational dislikes to players especially ones who speak up when accused of things they didn't do.

pascell

Great article but brought back some bad memories of LvG. The worst one when everyone wanted Rooney dropped and then LvG came out in a presser and said 'My captain shall always play'. Bad times.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He just comes up to him and asks "why don't you respect me?" :lol: Does he think he's Don Corleone?

MUFC OK

LVG and Brazilian footballers don't mix.
His record with South American players is that bad, one could almost infer racism.

Always loved Rafael, gave his all for the club and played with passion. Loved it when he squared up to Tevez a few years back, he just got it..

MUFC OK

Respect? Van Gaal is the reason we’re still so crap. He instilled such a garbage mentality and style even Mourinho had to talk about letting go of that.

Moyes was just incompetent he had no plan just cross it and attack it but there was no lasting damage. Van Gaal destroying all of our attacking mentality. Got rid of top players and replaced them with garbage.

Van Gaal is 90 percent of the reason why we are where we are. He deserves more criticism than what he gets. He set us back so far the Mourinho needed a whole season just to undo that.
Amen brother. I have always said this, he completely destroyed our mentality.

Why more people don't recognise this is beyond me, what an awful appointment LVG was, and despite being a character, he seems like a horrible man.

stevoc

Rafael's interviews are always great, always great little stories.

For some reason we have fans who were happy to replace him with Darmian, and are still glad we sold him. You really need to be clueless about football to be happy about selling player who you haven't found replacement even three years after.
Yeah it's bizarre, no idea why anyone wouldn't like Rafael. Had his injuries but his attitude represented pretty much everything a Man Utd player should have, while Darmian is the antithesis of what a United player should be.

stevoc

I totally agree. Moyes was just out of his depth like you said but there was no lasting damage. I get the feeling that the senior players never trusted him from day 1. He should never have been anywhere near a United dugout. Van Gaal is the one who's set us back years and destroyed the club. He was given a lot of time and money to rebuild the squad and failed miserably. We are still trying to shift out the deadwood he bought almost two years after his departure. His safety first mentality is still ingrained in this team. He sold players but then didn't replace them adequately. Failed to get the best from his own signings and then he blames the club for not giving him a 3rd year. If we'd given another year we would've been set back even further. IMO he should've gone after 1 season. He didn't deserve another year. 7th to 4th papers over the cracks. We didn't have CL football and 4th was the bare minimum with the squad that he had. His biggest achievement is brainwashing fans into thinking there was progress. What progress? In Moyes season we had 64 points. LVG 1st season had 70 points and then the final year 66 points. So basically we were still in the same position. Van Gaal took a terrible squad and left a similarly terrible squad whilst spending over 250m on it. And we are led to believe that he was laying the foundations....
I don't disagree with most of what people have said about Van Gaal in here. He did make a complete hash of building a squad, sold too many good players and replaced them with shite.

But don't use Van Gaal's failures to absolve Moyes of his share of the blame. We can debate all day who caused more damage, but Moyes has to shoulder a fair chunk of blame for where the club found itself when Mourinho took over in 2016.

Van Gaal was way too rash in buying/selling players, Moyes the opposite he set the club back with his inaction. He took over a team badly in need of reinforcement in certain areas and failed to recruit the players needed. We have been playing catch up ever since.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No doubt in my mind that Moyes was catastrophically worse for you, short term and long term, than Van Gaal. I was gutted when he was sacked!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't disagree with most of what people have said about Van Gaal in here. He did make a complete hash of building a squad, sold too many good players and replaced them with shite.

But don't use Van Gaal's failures to absolve Moyes of his share of the blame. We can debate all day who caused more damage, but Moyes has to shoulder a fair chunk of blame for where the club found itself when Mourinho took over in 2016.

Van Gaal was way too rash in buying/selling players, Moyes the opposite he set the club back with his inaction. He took over a team badly in need of reinforcement in certain areas and failed to recruit the players needed. We have been playing catch up ever since.
In terms of signing players who made a positive contribution to the club after the manager who signed them left then Moyes > Van Gaal. The latter only has Martial to show for his time here, despite presiding over many more transfer windows and spending a shit-load more money than Moyes. Along with a bunch of flops.

Moyes left us Mata and Fellaini, who have both been useful players. I actually don’t think he signed any complete flops at all? He got a lot of shit for being “dithering Dave” about transfers but I would argue that’s a lot less damaging to the club than spending huge sums of money on players that aren’t good enough or don’t fit. Ditto re prematurely sacking off players who might have been useful squad members (e.g. the subject of this thread).

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
In terms of signing players who made a positive contribution to the club after the manager who signed them left then Moyes > Van Gaal. The latter only has Martial to show for his time here, despite presiding over many more transfer windows and spending a shit-load more money than Moyes. Along with a bunch of flops.

Moyes left us Mata and Fellaini, who have both been useful players. I actually don’t think he signed any complete flops at all? He got a lot of shit for being “dithering Dave” about transfers but I would argue that’s a lot less damaging to the club than spending huge sums of money on players that aren’t good enough or don’t fit. Ditto re prematurely sacking off players who might have been useful squad members (e.g. the subject of this thread).
Agreed.

GBBQ

What did Rafael want? When anyone loses their job the conversation only lasts a minute. What's so special about him? Did he want a steak Diane, a prawn cocktail and the full kimono treatment?
How about, "sorry but you're not in my plans but thanks for your service to the club"

The lad was a fan favourite and a title winning starter under SAF when fit, no harm in having a bit of class in dealing with your employees.

Rafaeldagold

What is going on with all the Moyes love and Van Gaal bashing?

It’s totally ludicrous. LVG did much more for this club than Moyes did. The re writing of history is well and truly happening on the Cafe.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What is going on with all the Moyes love and Van Gaal bashing?

It’s totally ludicrous. LVG did much more for this club than Moyes did. The re writing of history is well and truly happening on the Cafe.
That answers your question.