Rafael | Lyon Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

I like Rafael so I'm sad he is leaving but it is clear LVG doesn't rate him.

The whole injury criticism is rather ridiculous given all the enthusiasm on here for signing Schweinsteiger, or for that matter, Falcao last summer; both of whom have plenty of injury concerns.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Once every 57 appearances according to this - www.mufcinfo.com/manupag/red_cards/red_cards_grouped.html

Less frequently than other liabilities we did well to get rid of such as Roy Keane, Eric Cantona, Nemanja Vidic and Marouane Fellaini, as well as obvious psychos such as Angel Di Maria, Luke Chadwick and Luke Shaw.
I have no idea how I got this wrong. I was looking at the same numbers as you. Pressed a wrong number on the calculator probably.

Thanks for the info guys i actually knew, was just trying to make a point to the guy who called him a walking red card.
I got it wrong. Correct number is in the post I quoted now.

Midfield

Red
It's a shame, as an integral part of Sir Alex line of defense for years alongside Rio, Vidic, Evra, and now all of them were gone.

I remember the day when he had Robinho in his pocket.

Red Comet

It's a shame, as an integral part of Sir Alex line of defense for years alongside Rio, Vidic, Evra, and now all of them were gone.

I remember the day when he had Robinho in his pocket.
I remember the day he had Frank Ribery in his pocket v.s LvG's Bayern. Shame that he got sent off during that match as well.

Loublaze

ATLien
Except Blackett will never be good enough to play for a club like United, while Rafa was clearly good enough. I still think he has the ability and I don't buy this 'rash' bullshit people keep spewing, in his earlier years, yes, now the only thing that's stopping him is injuries and LVG.
Let me see that Crystal ball you got or I call Bullshit

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Another player I will be happy to see leave you guys. He's a decent player.

Water Melon

I remember the day he had Frank Ribery in his pocket v.s LvG's Bayern. Shame that he got sent off during that match as well.
Seconded. He had the in-form Ribery in his pocket until he got his second booking, which was way too harsh imo. Great player, shame about his injuries. Will feel sad when he leaves.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
we have opposition fans that rate him. yet some of our own supporters can't see his quality.
The complete opposite is true. Was hyped up by most people on here as the best right back in the league but the vast majority of opposition fans didn't rate him at all. I would struggle to think of any player in our squad more regularly and persistently over-rated by his own fans. And that's coming from someone who really liked him as a player.

Red Comet

The complete opposite is true. Was hyped up by most people on here as the best right back in the league but the vast majority of opposition fans didn't rate him at all.
I only remember the folks here saying he is among one of the top RB in the league, with most agreeing that Zabaleta is a level above him. I don't think anyone here honestly think he's the best. Which I think is fair; how many other RBs did better than Rafael during the time he got a run of games without injuries? He was solid in defense and contributed a lot in attach with his overlapping runs.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Will be sad to him leave. Was one of the few players who always gave it his all and wasn't a big pussy.

Will not be surprised if his constant injury troubles were the reasons we are letting him go. Still think he was harshly shafted and made to play for the reserves last season. He wasn't to be blamed for the Leicester red.

Last edited:

Nights

Really like him as a player, but clearly can't stay fit, and at his age, he needs regular football. The posters saying that he's clearly better than Darmian are crazy. I rate Rafael, but that's looking at things through extremely rose tinted glasses.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Really like him as a player, but clearly can't stay fit, and at his age, he needs regular football. The posters saying that he's clearly better than Darmian are crazy. I rate Rafael, but that's looking at things through extremely rose tinted glasses.
I honestly don't remember him being that much better than Fabio when Fabio had that run at right back - and he's playing for Cardiff now isn't he? Some of his defensive errors like playing the opposition onside would be frowned upon at under 16's level

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Seconded. He had the in-form Ribery in his pocket until he got his second booking, which was way too harsh imo. Great player, shame about his injuries. Will feel sad when he leaves.
His second yellow was completely spot on. First was spot on too actually, it wouldn't have happened if referee called a foul from van Bommel but you can't lash out like this just because you're annoyed.

sajeev

Its pointless having talent if you're rarely available for the club[/Q
wouldn't it actually be the other way round, since if it was really rose-tinted Darmian would be more highly rated.

He stayed fit for a long time last season but the manager preferred not to use him, it is not his fault

Water Melon

His second yellow was completely spot on. First was spot on too actually, it wouldn't have happened if referee called a foul from van Bommel but you can't lash out like this just because you're annoyed.
Well, I think its you are the one lashing it out about me lashing it out :) First off all, I was not, as I genuinely think that the ref was put under the pressure by Bayern's players at the time. If there was a person who lashed it out after that incident, it was the one and only SAF with his "typical Germans" comment.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Well, I think its you are the one lashing it out about me lashing it out :) First off all, I was not, as I genuinely think that the ref was put under the pressure by Bayern's players at the time. If there was a person who lashed it out after that incident, it was the one and only SAF with his "typical Germans" comment.
I didn't mean you, I meant Rafael against van Bommel. :lol:

Kostur

海尔的老板
wouldn't it actually be the other way round, since if it was really rose-tinted Darmian would be more highly rated.

He stayed fit for a long time last season but the manager preferred not to use him, it is not his fault
He'd get injured in some match anyway I presume, if he played that is.

Red_Aaron

if his legs had but a fraction of the strength in his heart he'd be world star
i'll miss the little warrior and hope he finds a good club

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Why not loan him? It makes so much sense to loan him rather than to sell him, but it looks like for some reason van Gaal clearly doesn't like the guy and doesn't even care if he might actually develop into good player who'll come through his injury issues.

lalloyd

Love Rafael, disappointed that he'll be leaving. Great to watch at times.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Why not loan him? It makes so much sense to loan him rather than to sell him, but it looks like for some reason van Gaal clearly doesn't like the guy and doesn't even care if he might actually develop into good player who'll come through his injury issues.
Only an year left on the contract.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Or he sees that he'll not come through his injury issues and just doesn't want to waste his time.

It's like saying we were stupid to let Obertan go because he might've turned into a world class player.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Thats why we are keeping Valencia who can actually play 3 games in a row without losing his leg and had been able to keep rafael on the bench

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I hope we can get something like 2,5m euro for him. But knowing our club money we will accept the offer that the club the player wants to leave for is giving. That's the kind of big man club we are.

Rafael looked very good at times, and you can never question his devotion. If only he had the ability to control those feelings in his body he might be able to play a better game. Best wishes to him in his new club. Hope it will be somewhere in spain.

Smores

People who have never rated him coming out the woodwork on here ain't they.

This is a wrong decision in my opinion unless the medics have advised us that he'll probably never stay fit but given his injuries were never localised it seems unlikely. The lad was simply one of our better players most seasons and without the injuries will be one of the best.

It'll be Jones next no doubt, just as injury prone and he's shown much less form.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Going out on a limb here but I suspect this is more to do with how highly he rates him as a right back. An opinion that will have been informed by the rest of the coaching staff at the club too.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Only an year left on the contract.
I haven't considered that, tbf. But we did the same with Cleverley.

Or he sees that he'll not come through his injury issues and just doesn't want to waste his time.

It's like saying we were stupid to let Obertan go because he might've turned into a world class player.
So, he can see the future now too?

And that's a stupid comparision, and you know it. Obertan showed absolutely nothing here, even for the reserves, I have no idea how did you come up with that.

Going out on a limb here but I suspect this is more to do with how highly he rates him as a right back. An opinion that will have been informed by the rest of the coaching staff at the club too.
Well, if that's the case then it's stupid from van Gaal considering he only gave him few games(and some of those were out of position, and in some he actually played very well) and decided he is not good enough even as a back up, in probably our weakest position in last season. Player who was rated highly by Fergie even when he was younger.

Kostur

海尔的老板
So, he can see the future now too?

And that's a stupid comparision, and you know it. Obertan showed absolutely nothing here, even for the reserves, I have no idea how did you come up with that.
I suppose that having a list of injuries Rafael's had during his time here he simply figured out that water is wet. I have no idea how you've come up with idea that LVG 'doesn't like the guy'.

m1y2

Was he really that much injured last season? He did have one that kept him out for a couple of months but first and foremost I just don't think LVG rated him.

Which is a shame as he's a great character and, for me at least, a very good player.
He was injured at bad times, basically when Valencia started picking form and became more reliable in terms of injuries, he had two unlucky injuries with cheekbone fracture and broken ribs, this could only happen to him or Jones really. It was unfortunately costly for him, he will thrve somewhere else if he stays fit and motivated which I feel he will as he's big character who will be missed in the dressing room and on the pitch too

Status
Not open for further replies.