Rafael?!

JoaquinJoaquin

The thing is, he is not because if he was than he would be playing.

Van Gaal wants to win, it is his job and his honor as a trainer, he is not deliberately keeping a player out of the team that he knows will make us better. The reason why he keeps him out of the team is because he thinks he is not so good and would expose us to more risks than when playing Valencia or McNair. I for one still think Van Gaal knows more about football than the general arm chair supporter looking at his vast experience in top football. If Van Gaal thinks Rafael is not our best option for the RB atm, than he'll have his reasons and as a fan we should accept that instead of questioning Van Gaals judgement all the time.
Just because Van Gaal isn't playing him, doesn't mean it's the right reason. In fact the ways things have been this season Van Gaal has justified very little in regards to his judgment, he seems to be making errors all over the place, but that's for another thread.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just because Van Gaal isn't playing him, doesn't mean it's the right reason. In fact the ways things have been this season Van Gaal has justified very little in regards to his judgment, he seems to be making errors all over the place, but that's for another thread.
Indeed

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's hard to put trust in him when he can't stay fit for a full season. He was a good prospect and a decent player who had many faults to iron out. Not worth waiting for imo and if we can get a better player then buy him. I'm sure if Rafael gets over his injuries and produces then he'll play but I wouldn't count on it.

m1y2

it's just another of Van Gaal's faults but the old man will finally finds out how mistaken he was and play him back in the side like he did with Herrera. Time showed us he is taking time with some of his decisions so I'm not worried with Rafael leaving. He's dedicated to he club so I think he will fight for his place but needs to get a kick from Mr.Ignorant

Loublaze

ATLien
Some of you Rafael die hards would start him with clutches or in a wheelchair. United deserves a reliable genuine RB

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It's hard to put trust in him when he can't stay fit for a full season.
With the exception of DDG, who amongst his team mates actually fulfils such a requirement?

Rafael's injury record this season isn't all that dissimilar to half of the squad, why do you hold him to a different standard? Should Carrick also be prevented from returning to the starting XI?

SteveW

The thing is, he is not because if he was than he would be playing.

Van Gaal wants to win, it is his job and his honor as a trainer, he is not deliberately keeping a player out of the team that he knows will make us better. The reason why he keeps him out of the team is because he thinks he is not so good and would expose us to more risks than when playing Valencia or McNair. I for one still think Van Gaal knows more about football than the general arm chair supporter looking at his vast experience in top football. If Van Gaal thinks Rafael is not our best option for the RB atm, than he'll have his reasons and as a fan we should accept that instead of questioning Van Gaals judgement all the time.
People are entitled to express an opinion. Rafael is better full back than MCNair or Valencia. His omission is just one of a catalogue of baffling decisions LVG has made so far. I'm sick of watching do stupid things and take weeks to figure out what most of us already know. He's tried stupid experiments all through the team all season and is barely scraping the minimum league position expected of him. Of course his decisions should be questioned

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
People are entitled to express an opinion. Rafael is better full back than MCNair or Valencia. His omission is just one of a catalogue of baffling decisions LVG has made so far. I'm sick of watching do stupid things and take weeks to figure out what most of us already know. He's tried stupid experiments all through the team all season and is barely scraping the minimum league position expected of him. Of course his decisions should be questioned
This

bleedred

After watching the Swansea game, where I felt the players had no passion for the shirt, The only player in our squad that came to mind was Rafael. Injury record or not, he is one of those players who gives it a 100% on the field and passionate about the club. Plus, he is a better fullback than either Valencia or Mcnair (Yet). So, it would indeed be a baffling decision.

DWelbz19

Too risky and forward thinking for the free-flowing philosophy.

ZDwyr

Big mistake if he goes. He hasn't even been given a decent chance to show what he can do either.

Loublaze

ATLien
Like whom?
Clyne, Coleman, Danilo, shit any other decent RB that can comfortably do a job. Rafael has failed. Its not down to a lack of talent and commitment, it just hasn't worked out due to his unavailability.

roykeane19

So were going to buy some mercenary who just plays for the money and couldnt care less about the team, Rafael is one of our few players who has most of characteristics people want from a united player, brave, passionate and attacking

DWelbz19

So were going to buy some mercenary who just plays for the money and couldnt care less about the team, Rafael is one of our few players who has most of characteristics people want from a united player, brave, passionate and attacking
I don't like banging on that 'passion' drum, but he is one of a select few at the club who genuinely look like they really, really want to be here.

Loublaze

ATLien
Indeed. :lol: I honestly thought Rafael was the one player LVG would absolutely love to have before he even joined us.
He said some good things about Rafael tbh, but it's clearly his unreliability that's done him in.

Loublaze

ATLien
Yes, lets keep passionate players even when they can't play three games in a row.
I don't like banging on that 'passion' drum, but he is one of a select few at the club who genuinely look like they really, really want to be here.
That doesn't mean jack if he can't be reliable

DWelbz19

Yes, lets keep passionate players even when they can't play three games in a row.

That doesn't mean jack if he can't be reliable
And why is that? It's certainly not down to ability, and he's been fit for well over a month and a half. Van Gaal has frozen him out, it's not like Rafael has been injured all this time. Not to mention, said injury was a completely random face injury. I mean, what are the odds that will ever happen again?

Loublaze

ATLien
And why is that? It's certainly not down to ability, and he's been fit for well over a month and a half. Van Gaal has frozen him out, it's not like Rafael has been injured all this time. Not to mention, said injury was a completely random face injury. I mean, what are the odds that will ever happen again?
We're not privy to whats going on behind closed doors. LVG could be acting on information he was given about Rafael and what he's seen for himself this season.

DWelbz19

We're not privy to whats going on behind closed doors. LVG could be acting on information he was given about Rafael and what he's seen for himself this season.
That's real handy for his agenda then. Chuck a player into the U21's for a good month and claim nobody knows why because it's all behind closed doors.
-
It's going to happen though, which is a shame because he's a damn sight better than what we have. I only hope we sell him to some side in Spain, or somewhere out of direct competition. Cliche as it may sound, if he ever does get over those injury woes, I can see him replicate that sort of talent he showed in SAFs final year.

Loublaze

ATLien
That's real handy for his agenda then. Chuck a player into the U21's for a good month and claim nobody knows why because it's all behind closed doors.
-
It's going to happen though, which is a shame because he's a damn sight better than what we have. I only hope we sell him to some side in Spain, or somewhere out of direct competition. Cliche as it may sound, if he ever does get over those injury woes, I can see him replicate that sort of talent he showed in SAFs final year.
Rafael won't do better than United. I don't even see a big team being interested tbh. Arsenal maybe, or somewhere in Italy. His injury woes will follow him though. He won't even be at the next world cup with Brazil. Being brutally honest

Shimo

Why bother keeping players that can inspire and drive the team when on the pitch. No room for such players under LVG unless they cost a whole lot and feels pressured to.

Loublaze

ATLien
This place is going to feel like a funeral when/if Rafael departs and I know whoever we buy is going to in for some harsh criticism before he even kicks a ball

Marcus

This is going to be a huge mistake. Unless he has a specific chronic injury, why would you sell a player who has passion, skill and determination? He can even be tried in a midfield position. I think we did it to good effect before.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Jamie fking Vardy is responsible...son of a bitch

Well, at least the great RB options we have can help us win some vital matches, as they have already this year.

Kag

End of the road for my favourite player at the club. If there's one player I want to see do really well upon leaving the club then it's this guy. Passion is often overstated but this guy bleeds for the cause. He really needs to get over his injury issues and I hope he does. He's too good a player to see decimated by injury.

Gannicus

I'd like to see Louis give Rafael a chance to play FFS.

The Vardy fiasco was not Rafael's fault. A cheekbone fracture can't be attributed to bring injury prone.

Lawman

With the exception of DDG, who amongst his team mates actually fulfils such a requirement?

Rafael's injury record this season isn't all that dissimilar to half of the squad, why do you hold him to a different standard? Should Carrick also be prevented from returning to the starting XI?
Nick no other player in the squad has given us 6-7 seasons of injury problems like Rafael. I could understand if it was a one season perhaps stretching to two. But not half a dozen the same since he has broken through, time to get rid of the under achievers imho.

Timdbro

No idea if he actually is fit, but if he is you'd think LVG would want to stop shooting himself in the foot and play our best option at RB. I mean, fine, if he gets injured again then by all means revert back to playing Valencia there. But until then, surely pick the best player available, even if you plan to sell him in the summer (maybe even especially if you plan to sell him).

IwatUwat

LVG said in the press conference only RVP injured which makes you think he must be fit.

But who knows whats happened to him, he must have had a falling out with LVG.

Would hate to see him go, I honestly think when fit and given a run of games he's one of the best RB's around.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
This place is going to feel like a funeral when/if Rafael departs and I know whoever we buy is going to in for some harsh criticism before he even kicks a ball
So so true.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Try telling that to some on here. Some think it's clear evidence.
Being injury prone is about more than having some kind of congenital weakness of muscle or ligaments. It's also about being reckless and/or having a poor technique when going into a challenge (which will include challenging for headers, before you say anything). Phil Jones being a classic example. So yes, a fractured cheek-bone could be part of the bigger picture of a player being injury prone.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
No playing on average 17 games a season attributes to being injury prone.
Shame I was talking about this one incident.

Being injury prone is about more than having some kind of congenital weakness of muscle or ligaments. It's also about being reckless and/or having a poor technique when going into a challenge (which will include challenging for headers, before you say anything). Phil Jones being a classic example. So yes, a fractured cheek-bone could be part of the bigger picture of a player being injury prone.
While I can understand your argument and agree with it. This was an accident. If he broke he cheek in a car accident would it come down to him being injury prone? If the exact same contact was made with De Gea and he broke his cheek, would we label him as potentially injury prone?

Again, I understand the argument but far too often United fans need a reason for something. Take a bad performance for example, we read so much into it, players ability, the system, the manager, the players effort, everything we can think of we use as a reason to pick a players performance apart but we miss the most basic things that have the biggest impacts, did he have a shit breakfast? Did he get a good sleep? Was his baby keeping him up all night? Is he having a tough time with his wife? etc

So now with complete accidents, some try to reason it. Everyone would be far better off just accepting shit happens.