Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I don't think so. Depay could flop massively in the Premier League, Sterling has proven he can succeed. Add in to that British tax and City's need for that, and whilst expensive, its not mental. Transfer fees have increased massively over the past 2/3 years
How about compared to Hazard & Sanchez? Miles better than Sterling and he costs £10-15m more. Whichever way you look at it this fee is absurd and definitely worthy of the :lol:'s it's getting.

Super Nani

No idea how they've reached that figure but it's certainly not true. Maybe his family in total earns that but even then it still seems a dubiously high figure.
Yeah I should have checked properly before posting it, couldn't find anything online to back it up so think it's actually just made up rubbish. Either way, the fee for Sterling is definitely over the top but when your owners are that rich and you can afford it without a problem it doesn't really matter in the slightest.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
absolutely ridiculous price for an absolutely bang average player.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Ah yeah. Don't understand why Fernandinho is so overlooked on this forum. He's easily one the league's best CM's still. He's getting on a bit but if we go into the season with Toure and him as our two midfielder's I'd be happy enough. Fernando, meh. He had a good start but went downhill from there, perhaps he'll improve this season, but he'll never be good enough to start regularly for us, I fear.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Ah yeah. Don't understand why Fernandinho is so overlooked on this forum. He's easily one the league's best CM's still. He's getting on a bit but if we go into the season with Toure and him as our two midfielder's I'd be happy enough. Fernando, meh. He had a good start but went downhill from there, perhaps he'll improve this season, but he'll never be good enough to start regularly for us, I fear.
I was impressed with him in his first year in 13/14, but he was involved in that 1-7 game at the World Cup which may partly explain it. Don't think he was as good last year but I think part of that was Toure not being as good and giving him too much to do.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
absolutely ridiculous price for an absolutely bang average player.
He's overpriced, yes, but incredibly harsh to call him bang average. He's certainly a player with plenty of talent and ability.

El Zoido

I really rate him. He's wanted out of Liverpool all last season and it was clear from his performances. They've paid a lot for him but he's only 20, he could be there for another 10 years and win multiple trophies and the pricetag will be an irrelevancy.

Tarrou

First signing they've made that's worried me for about 3 years. I couldn't care less how much they paid for him. He's going to be class.

darioterios

No if you want to play "super attack" with Silva, Kun, Sterling you definitely have to add quality to the base of Toure and Fernandinho, especially considering your central defense not being much reliable any more

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I was impressed with him in his first year in 13/14, but he was involved in that 1-7 game at the World Cup which may partly explain it. Don't think he was as good last year but I think part of that was Toure not being as good and giving him too much to do.
No denying he had a dip in form last season. Fernando started ahead of him at the opening of the season because Fernandinho needed a rest from the World Cup and when he came on against Stoke (the 1-0 defeat) to replace the injured Fernando I was at the game and he was truly awful. His confidence was still in tatters from the mauling by Germany. He picked up as the season progressed though and gave some solid performances. And yeah, Toure's poor start as well didn't help.

0161_UNITED

He fell off quite a bit last season in an extremely dysfunctional Liverpool side, but before that his talent was obvious when 'Pool were clicking and he was one of the few England players who did himself any credit in the last World Cup. He's got himself a way to go to justify the fee and wages, but overall it could be quite a signing for City, or an unmitigated disaster. It's a gamble, but it might be worth it. He's certainly not bang average in my opinion. If he wasn't a former 'Pool player and he'd signed for United, I think opinions would be very different.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's overpriced, yes, but incredibly harsh to call him bang average. He's certainly a player with plenty of talent and ability.
It's not just harsh, it's complete nonsense.

Sterling is one of the best young players around.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm praying your manager agrees with you, becuase as it stands our midfield would walk you off the park and you won't get close to a title challenge no matter which attackers you add until that's resolved. For the record Fernandinho is so average and is basically just a destroyer with enough pace to get around the park, I wouldn't have him anywhere near UTDs team.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No if you want to play "super attack" with Silva, Kun, Sterling you definitely have to add quality to the base of Toure and Fernandinho, especially considering your central defense not being much reliable any more
Don't think it's a requisite. In Europe, yeah, the midfield needs more protection. Domestically, a midfield two of Toure and Fernandinho is perfectly fine for the majority of matches we'll play.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He fell off quite a bit last season in an extremely dysfunctional Liverpool side, but before that his talent was obvious when 'Pool were clicking and he was one of the few England players who did himself any credit in the last World Cup. He's got himself a way to go to justify the fee and wages, but overall it could be quite a signing for City, or an unmitigated disaster. It's a gamble, but it might be worth it. He's certainly not bang average in my opinion. If he wasn't a former 'Pool player and he'd signed for United, I think opinions would be very different.
I think one of his major problems last season were that he was often being forced to play as Liverpool's main attacker when he's not really a striker as such. His final product is an area he arguably needs to do a lot of work on, and it showed at times. He's a lot more likely to flourish at City where they'll play him out wide, since he won't be needed up top, and his final product is likely to continue improving as he gains experience.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
We play them in the second match of the season at their place. Hopefully Sterling won't be fully settled and integrated in their team yet. :lol:
Terry had so much trouble with his pace last time in the Carling cup, watch him bag a hattrick now that he has Silva giving him slick balls :o

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How about compared to Hazard & Sanchez? Miles better than Sterling and he costs £10-15m more. Whichever way you look at it this fee is absurd and definitely worthy of the :lol:'s it's getting.
Sterling is 20 years old. Let's see how good he is when he reached Sanchez's age. City have clearly bought keeping the next 5 plus years in mind.

Truedevil

Liverpool got handed a lot of money while City get a cracking talent. Couldn't be worse for us.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Well all I see when I watch sterling play is a player that has a very good workrate and pace to burn but absolutely nothing else and I'm mean nothing. For someone that's meant to be an attacking/creative player, he can't shoot and he can't cross, His goal and assist ratio is awful.

Sterling hasn't progressed since his breakthrough season he's played a good few years now in the prem but not improved at all but To be fair to him he had his best season when suarez was there so maybe playing alongside silva and Aguero instead of balotelli and lallana may make him up his game again but as of now the jury is still out on him. I know you may think I'm being biased but I'd still prefer Memphis over sterling anyday.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'm praying your manager agrees with you, becuase as it stands our midfield would walk you off the park and you won't get close to a title challenge no matter which attackers you add until that's resolved. For the record Fernandinho is so average and is basically just a destroyer with enough pace to get around the park, I wouldn't have him anywhere near UTDs team.
I completely disagree but each to their own. I personally rate Fernandinho above any of your CM's right now with the exception of Schweinsteger but it remains to be seen how he'll cope in the league considering his age and injury troubles.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
To be fair I gave Liverpool too much credit but they wouldn't deal with United, which to me is petty - so what choice did the boy have? Chelsea and Arsenal weren't going to pay that kind of money. City don't know how to develop players. They don't have a recent history of developing a player from potential to world class talent. So best of luck. United business isn't too bad. What do you think? :)

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well all I see when I watch sterling play is a player that has a very good workrate and pace to burn but absolutely nothing else and I'm mean nothing for someone that's meant to be an attacking/creative player, he can't shoot and he can't cross, His goal and assist ratio is awful.

Sterling hasn't progressed since his breakthrough season he's played a good few years now in the prem but not improved at all but To be fair to him he had his best season when suarez was there so maybe playing alongside silva and Aguero instead of balotelli and lallana may make him up his game again but as of now the jury is still out on him. I know you may think I'm being biased but I'd still prefer Memphis over sterling anyday.
Really? I'd say he's a good player on the ball when it comes to controlling it, and he's a good dribbler as well. Add his pace into that and he's a very dangerous winger when playing well. His crossing and shooting does need improvement: his final product is arguably a major weakness, but then that's likely to improve for him with more experience. He's a very talented young player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I completely disagree but each to their own. I personally rate Fernandinho above any of your CM's right now with the exception of Schweinsteger but it remains to be seen how he'll cope in the league considering his age and injury troubles.
Well I guess time will tell but he's a very limited player in my opinion

0161_UNITED

No denying he had a dip in form last season. Fernando started ahead of him at the opening of the season because Fernandinho needed a rest from the World Cup and when he came on against Stoke (the 1-0 defeat) to replace the injured Fernando I was at the game and he was truly awful. His confidence was still in tatters from the mauling by Germany. He picked up as the season progressed though and gave some solid performances. And yeah, Toure's poor start as well didn't help.
Probably a topic for a different thread, but how confident are you that Toure's form will improve? The drop off was dramatic, IMO. I don't watch City week in, week out, but it seems like when he's out of sorts, it'll take an extraordinary performance from Silva or Aguero when things aren't clicking. (Which they're more than capable of, I'll add) Sterling could be quite the addition, but if Toure and the midfield aren't clicking, all that firepower up front could be wasted.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's a shame it was Liverpool selling because I'd go into bidding war with City over Sterling.
As somebody said, everybody is happy with this transfer.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
If they add De Bruyne also, is there a better front four in the league?
They'd have the best front four in the league in Sterling, Toure, Silva, Aguero without even adding De Bruyne, so I think so. Comfortably.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
To be fair I gave Liverpool too much credit but they wouldn't deal with United, which to me is petty - so what choice did the boy have? Chelsea and Arsenal weren't going to pay that kind of money. City don't know how to develop players. They don't have a recent history of developing a player from potential to world class talent. So best of luck. United business isn't too bad. What do you think? :)
United have had a good window so far but I feel some fans on here are getting carried away with it. Depay is a huge talent and I personally do believe he will succeed in the league and become, maybe after one or two seasons, one of the best forwards. Having said that, if he failed to adapt and live up to the hype it would hardly be a huge surprise. Schweinsteger is a fantastic CM but again, if he fails to adapt it would not be a shock. Schneiderlin is a very good CM but will always remain in the tier below world class for me, although that's not to say he can't have a huge impact on the team as a whole. Darmian is Darmian - good right back, decent signing albeit unspectacular.

0161_UNITED

I think one of his major problems last season were that he was often being forced to play as Liverpool's main attacker when he's not really a striker as such. His final product is an area he arguably needs to do a lot of work on, and it showed at times. He's a lot more likely to flourish at City where they'll play him out wide, since he won't be needed up top, and his final product is likely to continue improving as he gains experience.
Agreed. 'Pool were a mess. Tactically Rodgers ranged from baffling to insanity, Sturridge was injured, they lost Suarez, they had "the Slip" to recover from, Ballotelli, and he also was at war to force his move for a significant portion of the season. The boy has talent, the environment at Liverpool was borderline toxic. He needs to work on his finishing. Playing with Silva and Aguero though, that's a huge improvement compared to Liverpool last season. City took a huge gamble. We'll get to see how it works.

AshfordLad

Despite what jealous Chelsea and United or the bitter Liverpool fans say, this is a great signing. City have overpaid by about £15m, but who cares when they have so many sponsorships coming from their owners to make up for it.

Costs are totally irrelevent for city. They should now look to sign a good CB and a good CM and start looking for a quality manager to replace pelegrino next summer. I think other areas of their team should be fine for next 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.