Raheem Sterling

As usual he does well to get into these positions, only to screw them up. Hard to drop him but really something needs to change.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes, its pathetic the lengths people go to criticise him. Easily Englands best attacking player today, still gets shit. Scoring a goal from a corner is not contributing to the attacking play of the team.
You must be joking, surely.

Varun

Staff
His movement has been quality. Missed the first 20 odd mins but he's easily been the best attacker in the other 25. Terrible finisher mind, would have been game over otherwise.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You should have given up when you said you were going to. This is embarrassing.
You said scoring goals is offering more in an attacking sense.

You're words "It's a goal than Sterling has contributed." that is exactly why he's offered more in an attacking sense than Sterling. Your exact words.
John Stones has scored a goal more than Messi. Do you believe he has offered more in an attacking sense at this WC? Has he feck. It's your stupid logic that more goals = offering more in an attacking sense.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'll rephrase it so. He has easily been Englands only threat from open play.. is that better.
No, he has not been England's biggest attacking threat. Lingard offers better movement, better link-up play and fits the system more than Sterling.

I'd argue Rashford would offer more than Sterling on current form.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You must be joking, surely.
His finishing has been atrocious, but who has contributed more for England going forward (I'll add open play here so it doesn't come across as me saying setpieces don't count)

padr81

Supports
Man City
No, he has not been England's biggest attacking threat. Lingard offers better movement, better link-up play and fits the system more than Sterling.

Because he's been our only one. Lingard is hiding a bit in this game in fairness, though I have said he's been better than Raheem in every other game.
Rashford may offer more and probably should have got the nod but he didn't and Sterling has done well today.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

That’s just not true for this game though is it. Sterling had a better half than Jesse

Jagga7

His end product is still so erratic. It's amazing how many English players seem to brilliant until it comes to the final pass/shoot.

Nickosaur

Because he's been our only one. Lingard is hiding a bit in this game in fairness, though I have said he's been better than Raheem in every other game.
Rashford may offer more and probably should have got the nod but he didn't and Sterling has done well today.
Lingard has been everywhere. Unlike Sterling, Lingard is not only contributing to attacking.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
His finishing has been atrocious, but who has contributed more for England going forward (I'll add open play here so it doesn't come across as me saying setpieces don't count)
Lingard, Kane, Trippier and Henderson (by far Englands best player today) have all, at various stages of the tournament, offered a great deal more to England's attack than Sterling (and Alli).

We need changes for the semi's.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Lingard, Kane, Trippier and Henderson (by far Englands best player today) have all, at various stages of the tournament, offered a great deal more to England's attack than Sterling (and Alli).

Agree, need to shake up the front line, the 3 at the back with 2 WBs look solid.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I agree with without doubt. My point was he's been England's best attacker today and he was still getting shit. I've said that along with Alli he's been our worst attacker this tournie and wouldn't have cried to see Rashford start ahead of him today. Today he's been much better though.

Just about every pundit has said he's been Englands best player first half.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That’s just not true for this game though is it. Sterling had a better half than Jesse
Lingard has been somewhat stifled by an extremely efficient Sweden unit today (all the England players have to be fair) but overall Lingard has outperformed Sterling by a large margin.

The Bloody-Nine

You said scoring goals is offering more in an attacking sense.

You're words "It's a goal than Sterling has contributed." that is exactly why he's offered more in an attacking sense than Sterling. Your exact words.
John Stones has scored a goal more than Messi. Do you believe he has offered more in an attacking sense at this WC? Has he feck. It's your stupid logic that more goals = offering more in an attacking sense.
No, I didn't say that. But keep making shit up.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Lingard has been somewhat stifled by an extremely efficient Sweden unit today (all the England players have to be fair) but overall Lingard has outperformed Sterling by a large margin.
You're giving Lingard (whose just got a great assist, get in) a pass for being stifled, but Sterling didn't get one for Colombia literally tripling up on him and kicking the shit out of him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Take your red tinted specs off mate. Jesse had a quiet first half. Sterling was dangerous on multiple occasions and his direct running was causing serious problems for Sweden.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No, I didn't say that. But keep making shit up.
yes you did, you exact quote is in the post. He's offerend more in an attacking sense because.. "It's a goal than Sterling has contributed." (thats your exact words)

The Bloody-Nine

yes you did, you exact quote is in the post. He's offerend more in an attacking sense because.. "It's a goal more than Sterling has contributed." (thats your exact words)
Those are my exact words. Where did I say "scoring goals is offering more in an attacking sense."

flappyjay

Alli would probably be doing a lot better than sterling if he was playing also alongside kane upfront

cyberman

Alli would probably be doing a lot better than sterling if he was playing also alongside kane upfront
He's not up top with Kane, Sterling is up top on his own.
I still don't understand this, the chances are falling to a player who struggles to finish while the best number 9 in world football is a midfielder.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Can't believe that, on this horrible showing, Sterling is going to finish the game and Rashford didn't get a sniff of a runout. Unreal.

The Bloody-Nine

Zero goals, zero assists. Two absolute sitters missed (one saved by a flag which he wasn't aware of). Legend.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sterling is proof that De Bruyne can make any attacker look top quality. England would do much better with Rashford in his role.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Despite the missed chances, Sterling played well. He made really important runs that really disrupted a usually solid Swedish defense. Focusing only on sitters is pretty short sighted thinking.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good game by Sterling today. Unforunately, people judge people by goals and assists.

For example, Sterling was much, much better than Alli today, but because he scored, people will say Alli was better.

Sterling was constantly running channels, holding it up, linking play. Sweden's back line could not live him.

All that was missing today was a goal.

Son Of Sam

Despite the missed chances, Sterling played well. He made really important runs that really disrupted a usually solid Swedish defense. Focusing only on sitters is pretty short sighted thinking.
I actually foresee him scoring the goal that wins the World Cup for England. All his rotten luck will produce a silver lining in the end. I can smell it. I wonder how DailyMail will write the headlines when it happens.

zing

Zingle balls
He played very well.

Decision making in the box let him down 1-2 times. Second best player after Pickford for me.