Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubie

Encouraging signs already in his short tenure, seems like he’s giving the players the kick up the backside that has been long overdue. Personally I think the players had it to easy under Ole with his baby face smile and happy approach.

The next 6 weeks will be interesting

Classical Mechanic

Hold your horses boys both mou and lou were pretty tough when it came to player power and that sort of stuff but we all know how that ended
LVG? Schweinsteiger was the biggest piss taker we’ve had at the club post SAF and he was LVG’s pet.

Mourinho tried to take the players on but lost because he’s actually terrible at it and always ends up alienating people.

Redfrog

Pogba is more than a good player. He's a great player. Not sure how you decided that he's a primaddona either, unless you know him personally.
Well, he is really not a great player. He is a player nobody can say where he should play, I don’t know what kind of great player is that. He is hot and cold. The bare minimum to be a great player is consistency and he has none. A great player on his day is not a great player…

Complaining as a primadonna by his agent for how long now ?

We need to get ride, no player should be bigger than the club and he has been very disrespectful toward the club. Much better players have been pushed out for much less. How the standards have fallen.

Winrar

That's all well and good, but lets see how that goes over when we decide not to even bid for Haaland for this reason or something.

I give it 2 games before a section of Caf turns on him. Its inevitable, regardless of what he does.
He won't be our manager after this season, anyways.

Honestly I don't expect anything more than Rangnick's plan coming together more consistently. I expect us to be knackered and out of shape for periods of time.

Top 4 is obviously something we need to be eyeing, but it won't be easy with Spurs having Conte and West Ham doing pretty well.

Newtonius

Well, he is really not a great player. He is a player nobody can say where he should play, I don’t know what kind of great player is that. He is hot and cold. The bare minimum to be a great player is consistency and he has none. A great player on his day is not a great player…

Complaining as a primadonna by his agent for how long now ?

We need to get ride, no player should be bigger than the club and he has been very disrespectful toward the club. Much better players have been pushed out for much less. How the standards have fallen.
He was consistent in the 4-3-3 next to Matic and Herrera, so consistent in fact that he basically got Ole the job with like 8 goals and 6 assists in 11 games from CM. And then he was punted back to the double pivot so Lingard and Pereira could take up the number 10 not soon after Ole was made full time manager.

He has been mismanaged by both of his managers, everybody and their dog knows he is not a DM he needs creative license to go forward, but then it doesn't look like he will fit in to Rangnicks style either.

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
So lingard, martial and Pogba are probably gone in the summer. None of them are reliable so not worried about them leaving. We just need to make sure we buy proper replacement this time. Really hope that someone like rangnick will make sure we never buy these type of players again.
Lingard and Pogba came through United ranks. Martial was young and purchased with future potential in mind. We all licked our lips with the second coming of Pogba. Stop with your 20/20 hindsight bias.

Ixion

Given Ralph has already said we don't have enough players if we lose 3-4 players on top of that it's quite a lot of positions to fill. Would take a few transfer windows.

Josep Dowling

Given Ralph has already said we don't have enough players if we lose 3-4 players on top of that it's quite a lot of positions to fill. Would take a few transfer windows.
Disagree. The squad is already bloated. Pogba is injured. Martial and Lingard are barely getting minutes anyway. If all of them left it wouldn’t be a big loss.

AndySmith1990

Ralf said the opposite, that we have a very big squad and need to look at offloading some players

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
He said "We don't NOT have enough players" perhaps the grammar is incorrect but you get it. He means we have more than enough so we can let some go. Besides Ralf will rely on the Youth so if we have any injuries, he won't be scared to bring in a young lad.

AndySmith1990

Pogba is more than a good player. He's a great player. Not sure how you decided that he's a primaddona either, unless you know him personally.
A great player puts in effort and works for the betterment of the team. I don't care if he occasionally makes a world class pass, Pogba is not a great player.

captaincantona

Lingard and Pogba came through United ranks. Martial was young and purchased with future potential in mind. We all licked our lips with the second coming of Pogba. Stop with your 20/20 hindsight bias.
True...but it does say something about the Utd “DNA” that characters like this have been given so many chances at the club. There was always room when the majority of the squad was old school focused on win win win but over the years it has gotten more diluted with players whose focus seems elsewhere.

Pogba is footballer/brand. On one hand He is a World Cup winner and world class player. On the other there are major flaws to how he has approached his career that I feel will result in him being remembered as much for his persona as his footballing ability. He has shown very little loyalty to Utd since returning and has always allowed Riaola to stir the pot on his behalf. We know that if Madrid had the money he would be gone. He chooses to spend more time in Dubai and LA recovering away from his club and for me, this has given him the feel of a “star player” too good for the grind who jets in to play whenever he is fit enough. It’s hard to like the guy and root for him. He has been completely average and unreliable on the field for Utd which is where it counts and almost has more social media followers than people who would actually tune in to watch him play. His performances far from warranted the pampering he got from Ole and I am only sad that it took so long, and a newcomer to our club to call him out.

Martial never had the attitude for a scrap- I know some players need to have an arm round them but this guy takes it to another level. He sulked badly over the shirt number issue and it cost him a whole season. He seemed to care more about his clothing line taking a hit then proving he deserved to start ahead of Zlatan. Instead of being called out or moved on, He was given a pay rise and his old shirt back. Again, as a fan, it’s hard to root for players who just don’t seem to want to be part of the club unless it’s on their terms.

Jesse- like Pogba and Martial, another clothing line, another social media generation player whose performances never warranted the attention. Everyone has personal problems to certain degrees but he is better placed than your average person to deal with those problems and to get himself and his family the help they need. Again, even if his form improved, you could imagine his social media output and personal brand would move with it to maximise exposure - it’s bonkers. Like the kid playing under 9s with a mad haircut and multi coloured boots...who is shit...stands out for all the wrong reasons and can’t back it up.

These characters are all great craic I am sure and good for morale around the place but as a football fan, they are not players I find it easy to root for and support. The sooner we get rid the better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
“As far as I can tell the medical department is really very good, with many different approaches towards rehab,” he said. “I would not want players to do their rehab abroad or anywhere else – the decision on Paul was taken before I came.

“I have already spoken to the medical department – to Steve [McNally] our doctor, to Robin Sadler [head of rehab] – that in the future I want players with injuries to stay here.”
Love this comment on Pogba swanning off to Dubai when he got injured (again). The tail has been wagging the dog at this club for far too long. Player power has got ridiculous.

MattofManchester

He was consistent in the 4-3-3 next to Matic and Herrera, so consistent in fact that he basically got Ole the job with like 8 goals and 6 assists in 11 games from CM.
Which lasted 10 games.

Real consistency there. Pointing to 10 games out of six fecking years.

Honestly, the hype around a guy, 28 years old, injury prone and who has never delivered for us is unreal.

captaincantona

How do you spot a 'winning mentality' in a player that you want to buy?
I am pretty sure this is part of the extensive research that is done on a player. They are scouted, their youth teams and coaches are approached with queries about their character and application, their family background is researched, discussions with the selling club, development record - Conversations with others that know the player, international team coaches at all levels...Utd would do quite a bit I’d imagine before shelling out millions.

captaincantona

He was consistent in the 4-3-3 next to Matic and Herrera, so consistent in fact that he basically got Ole the job with like 8 goals and 6 assists in 11 games from CM. And then he was punted back to the double pivot so Lingard and Pereira could take up the number 10 not soon after Ole was made full time manager.

He has been mismanaged by both of his managers, everybody and their dog knows he is not a DM he needs creative license to go forward, but then it doesn't look like he will fit in to Rangnicks style either.
Pogba has been tried in every position possible to “get the best out of him”. He has also been tried with more midfield partners than anyone else in the squad. He has responsibility for his own performances which I have been completely average. He has not been consistent in any way shape or form-that is not even a debate. In addition, he and his agent pitched himself at world record levels...meaning consistency is a minimum requirement...he was bought for a lot more than being consistent...so not only has he failed to reach the levels expected of a “world class” midfielder...he has not even given us the basics.

Another poster put it well but I can’t remember who it was. The PL is too fast and too competitive for Pogba. He wants and needs time and doesn’t want to concentrate for 90 mins which is what is required at a minimum playing for a top PL side. International football is slower and suits him, Italian football is slower it suited him. We should have recognised this sooner and moved on. His returns are simply not worth either his wage or the unsettling drama he brings with him.

MattofManchester

Love this comment on Pogba swanning off to Dubai when he got injured (again). The tail has been wagging the dog at this club for far too long. Player power has got ridiculous.
I think it has to do with reminding players they are still in a professional workplace and are still employed by the club.

Getting injured and going off on a holiday where you can do your own thing kinda clashes with that notion.
It also pulls into question how a club is supposed to monitor the fitness levels of those players if they're not even in the country.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
True...but it does say something about the Utd “DNA” that characters like this have been given so many chances at the club. There was always room when the majority of the squad was old school focused on win win win but over the years it has gotten more diluted with players whose focus seems elsewhere.

Pogba is footballer/brand. On one hand He is a World Cup winner and world class player. On the other there are major flaws to how he has approached his career that I feel will result in him being remembered as much for his persona as his footballing ability. He has shown very little loyalty to Utd since returning and has always allowed Riaola to stir the pot on his behalf. We know that if Madrid had the money he would be gone. He chooses to spend more time in Dubai and LA recovering away from his club and for me, this has given him the feel of a “star player” too good for the grind who jets in to play whenever he is fit enough. It’s hard to like the guy and root for him. He has been completely average and unreliable on the field for Utd which is where it counts and almost has more social media followers than people who would actually tune in to watch him play. His performances far from warranted the pampering he got from Ole and I am only sad that it took so long, and a newcomer to our club to call him out.

Martial never had the attitude for a scrap- I know some players need to have an arm round them but this guy takes it to another level. He sulked badly over the shirt number issue and it cost him a whole season. He seemed to care more about his clothing line taking a hit then proving he deserved to start ahead of Zlatan. Instead of being called out or moved on, He was given a pay rise and his old shirt back. Again, as a fan, it’s hard to root for players who just don’t seem to want to be part of the club unless it’s on their terms.

Jesse- like Pogba and Martial, another clothing line, another social media generation player whose performances never warranted the attention. Everyone has personal problems to certain degrees but he is better placed than your average person to deal with those problems and to get himself and his family the help they need. Again, even if his form improved, you could imagine his social media output and personal brand would move with it to maximise exposure - it’s bonkers. Like the kid playing under 9s with a mad haircut and multi coloured boots...who is shit...stands out for all the wrong reasons and can’t back it up.

These characters are all great craic I am sure and good for morale around the place but as a football fan, they are not players I find it easy to root for and support. The sooner we get rid the better.
Thank you for your detailed post.

United's last decade has been littered with incompetence by those running the club.

Basically, the owners have not been involved to any great extent and have likely been satisfied with their returns and capital appreciation of their assets. They have entrusted and given the responsibility to accountants rather than football people. Even when football people have been given some say they have introduced jobs for mates.

Those given the task of running the club have not understood the policy of keeping or dumping when it comes to players. Too many average players have been provided careers when they should have been let go or sold.

SAF is the GOAT

The question will be if the board will let him to do this ? because every time when a manager "educating" a player in this club, he gets the orders from above.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The question will be if the board will let him to do this ? because every time when a manager "educating" a player in this club, he gets the orders from above.
I suspect promises have been made -- I expect the board to have offered Rangnick the same role as what Ralf had at RB. He also took the manager's role temporarily whilst waiting for Nagalsmann.

Otherwise, why would Rangnick leave a comfortable position in Moscow? Certainly not for some unstable short-term role at United. At 63, he is more interested in building a legacy. But it all starts with proving himself with the 1st team.

Let's just hope it was some Daniel Levy (secret) handshake or pinky promise -- but some term sheet drafted out.

pascell

I love this guy already and the things he's saying. After reading Zlatans comments about how internally the club doesn't think like a big club, these comments from Rangnick make me think we're on the right path to sorting that out.

Hopefully now gone are the days of pandering to players and throwing money at them hoping they'll stay.

BigBebe

I like the fact that at press conferences, he is prepared to talk a bit of tactics, not just generalities.

What I like even more is the fact that he sees his job as improving the play of individual players - making them the best they can possibly be.

We have spent hundreds of millions on dozens of players but I literally can't think of one who actually exceeded expectations or whose play actually improved at their time here.

Similarly, we have had a number of players who have come through the academy, made it to the first team and have not kicked on and improved through their 20's.

Look at the best managers and you will always see players where people think 'Wow, I had no idea that he was so good'.

Fingers crossed for the new guy.

ColvaleGoa

Hypothetical Question: What if Pogba and Raiola start twerking to Citeh? ( Like Ronaldo)..Do we give him what he wants or let go?

I am in let go category!

Ace of Spades

I support his comments and wish we were a bit more ruthless before. Can't believe that we have players that have not done enough, and are not signing a contract and we haven't shipped the off. Instead we are desperate to keep them. And then we wonder why we have such ridiculous wage bill for the squad of players we have.

Only give such money for players who are deserving it with their actual performances, and sadly Pogba has not done enough for me to have the club be that desperate to keep him.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
...A great player on his day is not a great player…

Quite so. No invisible text?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I like the fact that at press conferences, he is prepared to talk a bit of tactics, not just generalities.

What I like even more is the fact that he sees his job as improving the play of individual players - making them the best they can possibly be.

We have spent hundreds of millions on dozens of players but I literally can't think of one who actually exceeded expectations or whose play actually improved at their time here.

Similarly, we have had a number of players who have come through the academy, made it to the first team and have not kicked on and improved through their 20's.

Look at the best managers and you will always see players where people think 'Wow, I had no idea that he was so good'.

Fingers crossed for the new guy.
Great for fans but is it being naive? Good managers will learn even more about his approach, giving them even more time to prepare for Rangnick's teams. What next? Provide the lineup to the press like 48hrs before the match?
I would prefer the manager to speak in generalities at the pressers.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Great for fans but is it being naive? Good managers will learn even more about his approach, giving them even more time to prepare for Rangnick's teams. What next? Provide the lineup to the press like 48hrs before the match?
If opposing managers learn about Rangnicks playstyle the first time at our presser, this is the least of their worries

Longsight Red

Thank you for your detailed post.

United's last decade has been littered with incompetence by those running the club.

Basically, the owners have not been involved to any great extent and have likely been satisfied with their returns and capital appreciation of their assets. They have entrusted and given the responsibility to accountants rather than football people. Even when football people have been given some say they have introduced jobs for mates.

Those given the task of running the club have not understood the policy of keeping or dumping when it comes to players. Too many average players have been provided careers when they should have been let go or sold.
Spot on!

Marwood

A balancing act between being a straight talker and being petty or nasty. Mourinho and LvG were the latter. All about their own ego.

So far Rangnick getting that balance spot on.

Ace of Spades

A balancing act between being a straight talker and being petty or nasty. Mourinho and LvG were the latter. All about their own ego.

So far Rangnick getting that balance spot on.
It is simply a matter of being fair. Reward hard work and good performances, punish lazy and poor performances. Just do that and he will be fine.

Redfrog

Never seen a player with so much excuses. He was consistent in a few games, as always. What’s next ?

Not even French people rate him highly. Everybody knows that Kanté is the better player in that midfield.

We can agree to disagree but I haven’t seen a great player who need everything around him made for him to make him great.
Pogba is all excuses, we won’t miss him. Bruno came here and showed him what a player can do. Pogba is not a 6, a 8, a 10. So what is he ?

Idxomer

Never seen a player with so much excuses. He was consistent in a few games, as always. What’s next ?

Not even French people rate him highly. Everybody knows that Kanté is the better player in that midfield.

We can agree to disagree but I haven’t seen a great player who need everything around him made for him to make him great.
Pogba is all excuses, we won’t miss him. Bruno came here and showed him what a player can do. Pogba is not a 6, a 8, a 10. So what is he ?
Bruno showed that an inconsistent team won't have consistent performers, not for long anyway.

Foxbatt

No need. Every manager knows how the other manager is going to play. he does not need to give the information in a press conference.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Something Ralf has said that struck a MASSIVE chord (because I've harped on about it and observed it) is fecking square passes in the middle of the pitch. I detest them and am glad he does too.

Oranges038

A liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.