Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Funny how same standards arent applied now, some people are really butthurt and have no shame, think this is a new thing, dont remember being like this when other managers took over, it was always like manager needs his players, needs at least 2 transfer windows and similar drivel.
It was always like this, at least since Jose took over.

There will be at least 2 groups, one who comes up with all possible excuses under one manager suddenly starts expecting perfection from day 1 under other. The one who expected title from previous manager suddenly starts dropping expectations.

Yakuza_devils

Ralf's job is Mission Impossible. He has won 3 and drew 1 premier league game and yet so many negativity from the posters here. He has done this in the midst of Covid 19 disruption.

This is not FIFA Playstation where you can just change formation by pressing a few buttons on your controller. This is real life where Ralf's has to deal with many multi millionaire big ego superstars telling them to work much harder, to be fitter, play differently than they used to, change their mentality and discipline, and whatnot. If he went too hard, it will backfired that whole team will revolt against him.

Ralf needs time to implement all these changes. He already stated from day 1 that his style is similar to Klopp. He is trying to build the style of play but in the same time he needs to be pragmatic to prioritize results first and foremost.

He can't just force his style of play from day 1 and force everyone to be pressing machine. This is not possible, even Klopp or Pep can't do this.

We need to be patient and let Ralf has the time to implement his ideas and more importantly identify the permanent manager to continue this style of play. All Ralf's previous team that he managed as Manager or DOF were playing modern attacking high pressing style. Hence, there is no reasons why he will deviate from this style at Man Utd.

We have 3 years of dross football under Ole, I think it's fair that we get behind Ralf for this 6 months and after that the new permanent manager to start our new era of modern football. The changes will be painful but it will be worth it.

Bestietom

No I’m not. My original point didn’t name any of those players, but specific others

I never mentioned Rangnick so you’ve clearly misunderstood.

And it was “you’re”
One word a huge mistake that starts a war. ffs
Yes, Teacher. I will bring you in an apple tomorrow.

Red_toad

Media hate all week, which a lot of posters on here jumped onto and spread the bile. Media love in today, odd how the world works. McTommy interview certainly addressed some of the shite that's been peddled.

I think the media struggle as he's very calm, measured and to the point and doesn't throw individual players under the bus no matter how hard they try to bait him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Media hate all week, which a lot of posters on here jumped onto and spread the bile. Media love in today, odd how the world works. McTommy interview certainly addressed some of the shite that's been peddled.

I think the media struggle as he's very calm, measured and to the point and doesn't throw individual players under the bus no matter how hard they try to bait him.
But...is he good at managing?

minoo-utd

Our players seem like they were the most spoiled in the league. Under Ole no matter what you perform you will be in the team sheet next game, I think RR is making life harder on some players by over training them or criticizing them behind closed doors which is not bad IMO based on their individual attitude sometimes. But tactics wise I fear most of our players can not execute what the manager want from them, sometimes I really do feel we are totally lost and we play completely another sport. It needs time and commitment for them to learn his harder methods which it seems they can’t get used to it just yet. A couple of signings this month can push the team forward if we ought to battle for c.l spot and go as far as we can at the C.L and the cup.

Kag

I’ve no idea. It’s difficult to judge him when you look at the state of our midfield most weeks. Ole had the same issue (yes, his making).

One of them actually played well last night and we won, so it might go to show how important midfielders doing their jobs can be.

Craig Ward

Same with any manager and approach - it will only work if the players buy into it.

We had some spirited performances under Ole, but ultimately the players stopped giving it 100%.

Ralf is proven - his approach proven. It's down to the players to uphold themselves to giving 100% on the pitch and trusting the process. If they dont, we will look good sometimes and abysmal others.

I do worry about our mentality as a group - we are very individual and weak. I cant remember the last time i watched us without at least 10+ individual errors

tomaldinho1

The key is we won. I don’t really understand what anyone expects after almost no full training sessions and a few league games though? We’re also visibly unfit. If we look just as disjointed in Feb, sure start to question things but not so soon, it’s pointless.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
3 wins and 1 draw. You can't say he's not producing results. It's been decent.
palace, newcastle, norwich, burnley.

to be fair you’d expect 90% of the league to get those results.

I know you can only beat what’s infront of you, but the team still look complacent and make far too many errors. I’d hoped he would have at least got them concentrating and being more professional by now.

We make the most unforced errors of any top side i’ve ever seen.

spiriticon

palace, newcastle, norwich, burnley.

to be fair you’d expect 90% of the league to get those results.

I know you can only beat what’s infront of you, but the team still look complacent and make far too many errors. I’d hoped he would have at least got them concentrating and being more professional by now.

We make the most unforced errors of any top side i’ve ever seen.
We were spanked 4-1 by Watford so nothing is a given with this United team. Changing mentalities and playing style will take time and patience.

The most important thing is that we remain competitive results wise while he's doing all that work behind the scenes.

The short term returns are decent enough.

lifted

The key is we won. I don’t really understand what anyone expects after almost no full training sessions and a few league games though? We’re also visibly unfit. If we look just as disjointed in Feb, sure start to question things but not so soon, it’s pointless.
Even February could be too soon depending on whether there's much more disruption due to covid.

I think it's pretty clear he's prioritising results over style at the moment, which is definitely the right approach for a group of players who were at their absolute lowest a few weeks ago.

Red_toad

But...is he good at managing?
Undefeated in the 5 games he's Managed, whilst coping with players continuing terrible form from the previous manager and Covid within the camp. I'd say he's doing fine all things considered. I don't think he's the long term manager, but he's here to lay the foundations.

Real Name

We looked better than on Monday. I know it isnt much but any step forward is good at this point in time and given the state the team was and is.
People expect wonderful, effective football overnight and it doesnt happen like that.
Questions is he good at managing as if it all should be obvious and clear after 5 games.. Where's the patience? Stupid question I know.

Small steps, being work on the defense, midfield or the offense. Saying that it was good to see some players dropped but likes of Maguire need dropping too.

We had a long break so hopefully he'll have time to work with the team on everything without anymore breaks but with covid you never know of course.

Judas

Open to offers
During the busy christmas period, you just want to win. We've not seen much to get excited about thus far, but its so early. People shitting themselves over the lack of a new manager bounce is very predictable.

TwoSheds

We looked better than on Monday. I know it isnt much but any step forward is good at this point in time and given the state the team was and is.
People expect wonderful, effective football overnight and it doesnt happen like that.
Questions is he good at managing as if it all should be obvious and clear after 5 games.. Where's the patience? Stupid question I know.

Small steps, being work on the defense, midfield or the offense. Saying that it was good to see some players dropped but likes of Maguire need dropping too.

We had a long break so hopefully he'll have time to work with the team on everything without anymore breaks but with covid you never know of course.
It's more that we passed on Conte for this guy and I'm still yet to understand why. I did like what McTominay said in his interview and hopefully he's instilling some discipline behind the scenes that will serve us well, but I do think we've effectively waited too long to get rid of the old manager and then appointed a new guy we don't think will win anything i.e. the board basically wrote off our season in October. So depressing.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Because the club is once again changing philosophy completely, everyone needs to give Ralf some time to try and impose that. Due to covid and festive fixtures there really hasn't been a great deal of time to put much work in on the training ground. Wouldn't be surprising if we didn't really see a massive change until Feb in terms of performances.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Just shows you how hard working our players are. They let brilliant tactician vanGaal down, they made Mourinho lose his mind, they let Solskjaer down. And We are expecting something else? Rangnick need time. And miracle to get these players perform week after week.
You do realise that all three managers had different players/squads/starting elevens? van Gaal and Mourinho were past it; Ole was never good enough.

Real Name

It's more that we passed on Conte for this guy and I'm still yet to understand why. I did like what McTominay said in his interview and hopefully he's instilling some discipline behind the scenes that will serve us well, but I do think we've effectively waited too long to get rid of the old manager and then appointed a new guy we don't think will win anything i.e. the board basically wrote off our season in October. So depressing.
Jesus Christ man. Give your head a wobble. You concluded all that out of thin air basically. Fact you seem not to know anything about Ragnick doesnt mean you should conclude we wrote of the season by hiring the guy.....

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Also why are people acting like games against Burnley and Newcastle have been easy for us in recent times? Burnley have a great record at OT since they came back up.

mctrials23

It's mental that this thread exists after 4 games
Mind blowing isn't it. The manager barely has his foot in the door, in the middle of a pandemic flare up, during a busy festive period and with a completely different style to his predecessor.

Hes also inheriting a bunch of players that have spent years getting away with murder and being coached about as much as an improv group.

Also why are people acting like games against Burnley and Newcastle have been easy for us in recent times? Burnley have a great record at OT since they came back up.
Thats been our MO for years. String a good set of results together and then play bottom of the league and get outplayed and beaten. I take no games for granted at the moment and I think it will take months for Rangnick to get any sort of tune from these players. I think the first game where we pressed for about 35 minutes before being dead on our feet was a real eye opener for him. We aren't even remotely ready or capable of playing the style of football Rangnick wants.

TwoSheds

Jesus Christ man. Give your head a wobble. You concluded all that out of thin air basically. Fact you seem not to know anything about Ragnick doesnt mean you should conclude we wrote of the season by hiring the guy.....
We wrote off the season by fannying around before and after sacking Solskjaer. And Rangnick doesn't seem like he's going to get instant results which is quite a key criterion for an interim manager. Here's his list of silverware as a manager in case you're interested:

Manager
Ulm 1846[117]
Regionalliga Süd: 1997–98

VfB Stuttgart[117]
UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2000

Hannover 96[117]
2. Bundesliga: 2001–02

Schalke 04[117]
DFB-Pokal: 2010–11
DFL-Supercup: 2011
DFL-Ligapokal: 2005

2 lower league titles in Germany with quite big clubs, 4 underwhelming cups with quite big clubs.

RedorDead21

It’s abit like the Ole timeline isn’t it. Fans and pundits were all saying at last a manager we won’t allow the players to throw under the bus, there’s no hiding place for this group now, players realise how to change this…improve and try for a short period….any subsequent drop then reverts to the manager being incompetent again …they’ll soon improve under this manager they are an intelligent bunch.

Glorio

Yeah. I've actually just seen another post-Burnley interview on Sky this morning and he actually addressed the body language issue right on the head. Talked about the fact that it's a team sport and shaking your head or throwing your arms around when things go bad helps no one, the players should focus their effort into giving a good account and trusting the game plan - or something along those lines.

It's interesting that after Newcastle he acted like it wasn't that big of an issue but then went and dealt with it head on.

Ogaranya

When klopp came to liverpool, their match performances were terrible because they were still adapting to his philosophy.

Ralf is laying down the basics of his tactical philosophy, there will be errors but it will certainly pay off in the end and make the job easier for the next manager.

UpWithRivers

Whats happened to the press? Seriously question. I dont get it. First game was high press, since then nothing. He keeps saying that not how he planned it in training so are the players just not doing it or what? Its weird.

lex talionis

As I understand it Ralf was brought in as interim manager through the end of the season and after that to serve as a consultant for the club.

None of us expect anything more than us finishing in the top four and putting in a decent performance in the CL. So far, so good.

Redlyn

I don’t know a whole lot about Ralf but I like what I have heard from him so far.I do think the board haven’t done him any favours by announcing him as interim manager.That dilutes his authority over the players in my view.
All their contract durations are public knowledge. Either he is interim or he is not and is here for X years. Not sure how you can blame the club for stating the facts.

peridigm

Whats happened to the press? Seriously question. I dont get it. First game was high press, since then nothing. He keeps saying that not how he planned it in training so are the players just not doing it or what? Its weird.
You could see a big difference in our pressing that first match. It has slacked off since then but not completely gone.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
All their contract durations are public knowledge. Either he is interim or he is not and is here for X years. Not sure how you can blame the club for stating the facts.
Do you think the players are putting 100% effort in ? Players need to play for the boss.If they know the boss is not going to be boss in May do you think they are going to give their best?
Look what happened the year SAF said he was going at the end of that season for example.

Redlyn

Do you think the players are putting 100% effort in ? Players need to play for the boss.If they know the boss is not going to be boss in May do you think they are going to give their best?
Look what happened the year SAF said he was going at the end of that season for example.
All this is irrelevant to the fact the the club could not hide or lie about his contract length. It is what it is.

Redlyn

Indeed.But the club could have given him a two year contract .Or the club could have got Contè!
Could they not ?
Maybe they don't fancy Conte or were not decided to fire Ole when he was a free agent or have other plans for the summer. Feck knows. It won't be the first or last time a big club hires an interim manager to buy time. Players just have to get on with it.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Maybe they don't fancy Conte or were not decided to fire Ole when he was a free agent or have other plans for the summer. Feck knows. It won't be the first or last time a big club hires an interim manager to buy time. Players just have to get on with it.
If they didn’t fancy Contè they are in the wrong business.
if they hadn’t decided to sack Ole they are in the wrong business.
End of.

Blood Mage

Can't complain too much about the results (Ole definitely wouldn't have got 7 points from the last three games) but I'm genuinely curious as to why we're hardly pressing at all and why our play is still mostly side-to-side and not particularly vertical.

Status
Not open for further replies.