Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpansheth

Slightly different take:
- usual management technique is to divide and conquer: manifests in different forms, you can say change management etc etc. my eye test from last two games says RR is focusing on few aspects only, not the entire system. Which make sense if he’s smart enough.
two things stood out to me:
- throw ins: I am as frustrated as anyone of our inability to score from set pieces, but the most frustrating aspect was not to be able to retain possession after a throw in, I saw a clear change this game particularly.
- forget formations, By design defense was asked to play a bit wider to invite pressure, which can potentially provide breathing space for Greenwood and Sancho. Providing confidence to wide forwards, change of approach from bottom teams and testing Harry’s composure under duress without too much risk ( you wont do this against top 10)

Thats my take, happy with what I saw, feels a nice change of pace seeing grownups incharge once again.

Reactions: oates

Real Name

We wrote off the season by fannying around before and after sacking Solskjaer. And Rangnick doesn't seem like he's going to get instant results which is quite a key criterion for an interim manager. Here's his list of silverware as a manager in case you're interested:

Manager
Ulm 1846[117]
Regionalliga Süd: 1997–98

VfB Stuttgart[117]
UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2000

Hannover 96[117]
2. Bundesliga: 2001–02

Schalke 04[117]
DFB-Pokal: 2010–11
DFL-Supercup: 2011
DFL-Ligapokal: 2005

2 lower league titles in Germany with quite big clubs, 4 underwhelming cups with quite big clubs.
I know about the titles but I suggest to you to read about him some more and especially what the other managers say about him.
Key criteria isn't instant titles but to steady the ship and bring some structure to our play. He'll have a say in a permanent manager too. I can't phantom why some fans are so impatient.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Redlyn

I know about the titles but I suggest to you to read about him some more and especially what the other managers say about him. Cheers.
Key criteria isn't instant titles but to steady the ship and bring some structure to our play. He'll have a say in a permanent manager too. I can't phantom why some fans are so impatient.
Cheers.
Really? How about 9 years of wilderness

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
If they didn’t fancy Contè they are in the wrong business.
if they hadn’t decided to sack Ole they are in the wrong business.
End of.
Many clubs would not hire Conte. I think most fans that accepted him was solely due to him being the only available option. If we manage to land a coach like Ten Haag in the summer, then that decision would have proven correct. I don't know about others, but I'm so tired of United being boring to watch. I know Conte isn't Mourinho, but his football is a far cry from what I crave to see us play.

DutchRed7

I do, it won't change fast tough. You can't go from a static team to a dynamic team overnight.
I remember when people wanted to sack Ten Hag in his early days at Ajax, because he was a know it all hipster(not my words).

Satsuma United

I do but to see his full managerial qualities first we have to sell all players that cant play modern Football.

We know who they are and hopefully Ralf does too. I also hope he stays for at least 2 years so he can turn United into a Bayern type otherwise another manager would bring us back to the old style Football.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Many clubs would not hire Conte. I think most fans that accepted him was solely due to him being the only available option. If we manage to land a coach like Ten Haag in the summer, then that decision would have proven correct. I don't know about others, but I'm so tired of United being boring to watch. I know Conte isn't Mourinho, but his football is a far cry from what I crave to see us play.
Contè is a proven winner.He has already made a huge difference to Spurs.He would not be my no 1 choice but he was the best available at the time.The board fcuked up not getting him but hey that’s no surprise.They have been fcuking up for years.

alexthelion

Contè is a proven winner.He has already made a huge difference to Spurs.He would not be my no 1 choice but he was the best available at the time.The board fcuked up not getting him but hey that’s no surprise.They have been fcuking up for years.
Conte's not exactly pulling up trees at Spurs, why would we want him?

Bondi77

When I see footage of Ralf addressing the team before the game and at halftime in the changing room then I will have some idea of how the players react to him and his plans but I must say that I like his pressers as he comes across to me as being forthright and honest.

SAFMUTD

3 wins and 1 draw. You can't say he's not producing results. It's been decent.
Problem it's the performances. Results haven't been bad, but many here (including me to be honest) expected a much faster improvement performance wise.

Anyway I'm willing to give him more time, I'm excited about his approach he seems a revolutionary manager so I expect us to eventually play like his teams had.

Bondi77

Maybe we will get your number one choice in the summer.

Foxbatt

Certainly our team is not playing the way Ralf wants from the expression on his face when our players turn down the opportunities to pass forward and then pass it sideways and backwards.
These things have to be drilled. Only surprising issue is the DVB saga. There must be something behind the scenes we don't know.

R'hllor

It was always like this, at least since Jose took over.

There will be at least 2 groups, one who comes up with all possible excuses under one manager suddenly starts expecting perfection from day 1 under other. The one who expected title from previous manager suddenly starts dropping expectations.
Yea you might be right, probably its just me thinking having a go came to quick, after just few games and X hours of training.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A bit worrying. We werent pressing at all against Burnley. And we were kicking long at goal kicks.

Lost bear

Really? How about 9 years of wilderness
Yes, but those 9 years have nothing whatever to do with RR. We really do need to give him a chance, which involves a little patience and goodwill. Personally, I think those who are complaining already have very short memories, and aren't taking into account the appalling state of the team - and the club- at the close of Ole's tenure.

Guapa

Talks absolute sense.He'll need time,the right staff and the right players to turn this rotten club around with the sub par standards we've been accepting around here since Sir Alex left,but definitely the right man for the job at the right time.IMO.

Real Name

Problem it's the performances. Results haven't been bad, but many here (including me to be honest) expected a much faster improvement performance wise.

Anyway I'm willing to give him more time, I'm excited about his approach he seems a revolutionary manager so I expect us to eventually play like his teams had.
Faster? How faster? You have to take into account a long break cause of covid. It doesn't happen overnight.

SAFMUTD

Faster? How faster? You have to take into account a long break cause of covid. It doesn't happen overnight.
Well it's hard to say how fast, but that comment was made after the Newcastle game. As long as there's improvement on the performances I'm ok, what frustrates me are performances like the Norwich and Newcastle ones in which we seem nothing of was Rangnick talks about.

Redlyn

So what's your solution for that? Problems like that aren't solved ad hoc cause that only create more problems.
Yes, but those 9 years have nothing whatever to do with RR. We really do need to give him a chance, which involves a little patience and goodwill. Personally, I think those who are complaining already have very short memories, and aren't taking into account the appalling state of the team - and the club- at the close of Ole's tenure.
Yes we have to build something sustainable and that takes time. We must have patience. I actually completely agree with you. I was just poking fun at the fact that its not that hard to see why some people are impatient.

Witchking

I rate him. He has said and done the right things except for one.

For Pogba he said we shouldn't need to convince players to be here. For Cavani he had to do that. So backtracking at best here.

Other than that, the football and results are expected. Did not expect us to play brilliant football with mid quality players and no midfield.

Ollie Derbyshire

I rate him. He has said and done the right things except for one.

For Pogba he said we shouldn't need to convince players to be here. For Cavani he had to do that. So backtracking at best here.

Other than that, the football and results are expected. Did not expect us to play brilliant football with mid quality players and no midfield.
Horses for courses maybe, Cavani might have needed a chat to convince him to stay, with Pogba I’d expect the club have said we’re not taking any crap and he can leave if he wants. I hope so anyway.

Witchking

Horses for courses maybe, Cavani might have needed a chat to convince him to stay, with Pogba I’d expect the club have said we’re not taking any crap and he can leave if he wants. I hope so anyway.
Yeah, hope so too. We need a squad overhaul and Pogba should be moving out.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Any quotes from the presser today?
he hasn’t done a separate one for the wolves game. It was tacked onto his post match press conference after the Burnley game.

not One question he was asked was directly about the Wolves game either :lol:

Lost bear

Yes we have to build something sustainable and that takes time. We must have patience. I actually completely agree with you. I was just poking fun at the fact that its not that hard to see why some people are impatient.
Yep- I fully understand mate. You're right, as well- I confess, I get pretty damned impatient myself!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
His honesty and directness during the pressers is a breath of fresh air. For example you can be damn sure that if was ole answering the Anthony question he somehow sidestep the matter entirely and go off a tangent on how he is a good boy and loves the club and etc etc which may be the best approach to these sort of matters, just jades you after a while

Maybe its just Ralf knowing he won't be on that seat for the long term do he goes all in but still

Anyway thank goodness Ralf is on an interim contract though because it probably would come back to bite him in the arse. But as long as he's here I'm relishing this new approach

Castia

Let’s be honest the football has got worse

Absolutely embarrassing that we simply can’t play the game of football

Status
Not open for further replies.