Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxter

One or two players who likely aren't getting a game, sticking the knife in. Much ado about nothing.

Spark

You only improve if the players want to improve. Think some are trying, especially the ones who have been given a chance by Ralf. Others do not have the attributes or intelligence to play high intensity football. You have to be a team player, not be selfish. You have to be concentrating all the time, too many switch off.
Totally agree. Sadly these sort of conversations ultimately end up as discussions about our ownership. We have zero discernible vision beyond the manager. The second Boston Red Sox took over Liverpool you could tell that they had a plan centred around football on the pitch, not marketing.

It's frustrating because in all honesty I do not see United changing any time soon. However, starting with the players is better than nothing.

We've improved a lot IMO but thats a pointless table. I think we could be in 6th place in that table once the other teams have actually played the same number of games as us and we have played the dregs of the league. That being said, we should have won a few more games if our players weren't missing sitters and VAR wasn't being entirely useless.
We've improved certainly, but I wouldn't say by a lot. Certain players have come to the fore though, been really impressed with Elanga and Telles. VAR has fecked us, but in all honesty we should never be in a position to let VAR ruin our day against dross opposition, as it suggests they're tight games (which Middlesbrough and Burnley should never be). Scoring those sitters is on the players - one or two misses can be bad luck, but multiple over two games is just shite.

jackal&hyde

Shaw defending Rangnick? Who would have thought...
Yeah. It's nice to hear though.

I think we've changed a few things and he is doing a good job. The issue is our strikers are in terrible form this season and all our defenders are taking turns to make huge mistakes and lose us games; these are not things that a manager can control, in spite of popular opinion that real football is like FM or FIFA.

The one thing that needs to be said is that we've had easier games. It's going to be a much different test when we play the big teams.

Abraxas

It's strange in that it is fairly clear that the performances are better. You keep seeing lazy pundits saying "nothing has changed", "no better than Ole", but it really is the height of ignorance. The type of people that cannot see beyond a result, it just clouds everything for them. Whereas a great manager has to understand well beyond a result.

I say that because it is clear we are creating chances. Proper chances, not just quarter chance punts from Bruno. We would go through entire games not threatening the goal pre-Rangnick and we are notably more aggressive, at least from the first whistle although we cannot presently maintain it to the standards of top sides.

But we keep shafting ourselves with brainfarts, individual mistakes, shocking conversions - and ultimately it doesn't matter what you set in place football matches also come down to moments.

jackal&hyde

It's strange in that it is fairly clear that the performances are better. You keep seeing lazy pundits saying "nothing has changed", "no better than Ole", but it really is the height of ignorance. The type of people that cannot see beyond a result, it just clouds everything for them. Whereas a great manager has to understand well beyond a result.

I say that because it is clear we are creating chances. Proper chances, not just quarter chance punts from Bruno. We would go through entire games not threatening the goal pre-Rangnick and we are notably more aggressive, at least from the first whistle although we cannot presently maintain it to the standards of top sides.

But we keep shafting ourselves with brainfarts, individual mistakes, shocking conversions - and ultimately it doesn't matter what you set in place football matches also come down to moments.
It's debateable. I agree that the main issues are personal mistakes and shit form but also consider we've had maybe 2 and a half games of good play and creating chances and those are against poor opposition. We had very poor games, some of them we won, and games of two halfs.

People are right to feel unimpressed imo but only because the expectations were based on false premises.

mctrials23

The same commentators who loved repeating "Have United turned a corner" after a shit run of results and we win a game by the skin of our teeth. Is there actually a single pundit who is capable of properly analysing games beyond a superficial level. They are catering to the average football fan who thinks that pashun is the most important thing and if you win a game then the performance isn't relevant.

devips

I hate these players so much.
To promote Rangnik, who is actually the current flavor, some people around here run down our players based on crap tweets.

Why do these people support this club at all?

L1nk

To promote Rangnik, who is actually the current flavor, some people around here run down our players based on crap tweets.

The problem is that Rangnick isn't the only one, just another one in a long line of managers the players have done this to. If they had been great for many seasons under multiple managers with barely a complaint and all of a sudden all of this starts coming out about Rangnick, you can maybe understand and think okay clearly something is up with this guy. But considering how many managers the players have downright thrown under the bus with press leaks and such I think it's fair to say Rangnick is not the problem here, whether you think he's doing a good job or not. I think what you are seeing is people supporting the club, and not supporting the player power that these players, who have had it on easy streets for multiple years now, are trying to exert.

AneRu

The problem is that Rangnick isn't the only one, just another one in a long line of managers the players have done this to. If they had been great for many seasons under multiple managers with barely a complaint and all of a sudden all of this starts coming out about Rangnick, you can maybe understand and think okay clearly something is up with this guy. But considering how many managers the players have downright thrown under the bus with press leaks and such I think it's fair to say Rangnick is not the problem here, whether you think he's doing a good job or not. I think what you are seeing is people supporting the club, and not supporting the player power that these players, who have had it on easy streets for multiple years now, are trying to exert.
This is what most are losing sight of, basically every player at United bar Cristiano, Sancho, Varane, De Gea and Bruno owe their United careers to Ole's support in either the decision to sign them, the patience to stand by them when they were coming up or going through a rough patch but look at how they treated him at the end with successive shameful, unprofessional displays and unkind leaks about the weakness of his management when he was at his lowest and needed them to stand by him the most. Ralf is just passing through, has been here for just a few months and they were attacking him from the word go. If anyone believes these players over Rangnick then they need to get with the program or take a look at our recent history, I don't care who will be affected but from Ralf, Ole and Mourinho I am sure if the club is interested they can get a pretty accurate list of the most unprofessional players who need weeding out.

crossy1686

career ending

The players run themselves down with the performances they put in. You can completely disregard any of the so called leaks.

People shouldn’t pay attention to these so called leaks. These are disgruntled employees who are bitter because Man Utd don’t want to extend their contracts or play them.

I feel so sorry for the other players who are happy to be here and have to deal with these trouble makers everyday who ruin the mood. Can’t wait till we get rid of them, Ralf will know exactly who needs to be binned off.

pascell

The other night, surely you're not serious? He was pathetic for the goal & then made a save from a long distance shot that you'd expect any PL keeper to make. There is the bizarre narrative around him at the moment where every time he makes a save it's supposedly outstanding when in reality - like most goalkeepers by the way - 95% of his saves are regulation stops. I'm all for bigging up the outstanding saves he does make but he certainly didn't make any at Burnley.

And no, you're right he didn't have to accept the contracts put in front of him but equally, who in their right mind turns down two contracts to make you the highest paid player in your position in the world? Particularly given the second time we did so, it was evident that no other top club in the world had any need for a goalkeeper & as such was not going to pay him even close to half what we offered him?

I'm with you on not caring what the players earn but lets not pretend De Gea is any more loyal than any other player at the club. He wanted out, he didn't get out, he signed a deal with a release clause inserted, that club went another direction so he signed a contract without a release clause but with a much, much, much higher salary. It's what most of us would probably do in his situation.
No, Maguire and Shaw were pathetic for the goal. That save from long distance was impressive, it bounced at the wrong time for a 'keeper and he had a strong wrist to make sure it went away from the danger zone.

Well if he wanted the Real move that bad, he'd have rejected the contract offers we put infront of him and signed for Real for free with a big signing on bonus.

The higher salary is down to the club, it's their fault it was offered. There's been countless times under Moyes, LvG, Jose and Ole were de Gea have saved us, with an inferior 'keeper we'd have been even worse off points wise.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I actually do think we are improving, however little it may be. We're obviously still inconsistent. That's two games in a row now where we've played really well for 45 minutes, then shit the bed for the other 45. And even before that, we would play well in patches and you could see what we were trying to do. It's obviously not great, and maybe I'm just desperate to see something (anything!) but i do think we've improved from his first game in charge, to now.

m1tch

Reading his comments about controlling the game and converting more chances worries me, as this was exactly what it was like under Van Gaal. 'Control' of the game but being highly dependent on either a clean sheet or converting more than 1 of the 3 chances created in the 90 minutes.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Reading his comments about controlling the game and converting more chances worries me, as this was exactly what it was like under Van Gaal. 'Control' of the game but being highly dependent on either a clean sheet or converting more than 1 of the 3 chances created in the 90 minutes.
I think you’ve just described football.

(& I think you’re being pedantic about the 3 chances. We are clearly creating lots of chances, it’s putting them in the net which is the issue)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So you want counter attack? Not sure what you want if it's not about controlling the game and converting our chances. Under LVG we rarely even create chances. LVG football was total control aka 90% control.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I'm not sure you have been watching us the last couple of weeks if that's your take. We've created a ton of chances. It's not control for the sake of it.

Lentwood

I'm not sure you have been watching us the last couple of weeks if that's your take. We've created a ton of chances. It's not control for the sake of it.
Most of this forum are incredibly outcome-orientated.

I knew we were in massive trouble this season after the Wolves game. We won that match 1-0, but I said to a friend of mine that if that's how we're going to play football this season, being that open and easy to play against, we are going to have huge problems. We should have lost that game 0-3, and Wolves find it notoriously difficult to score goals.

Conversely, lately we have drawn with Villa after being 0-2 up, been knocked out the cup by Boro and drawn with Burnley, yet I feel more optimistic than ever. In each of those games, we play very well for 70/80-minutes and suffered from blips in concentration or lack of options in key areas at key moments (I am thinking Villa, not having the option to replace Matic on the hour when his legs went). Those things can be easily fixed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Control is the name of the game.

Why do you think City and Liverpool keep winning matches?

They control the games the most out of everybody, but have the attacking magic to score goals at the end of it.

We are only controlling for periods, way too wishy washy at present.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's interesting that the players (or those doing the leaks, anyway)want more skills-focused training sessions instead of the tactics-focused one. Wouldn't you normally expect that the players at this level already have the skills and need the tactics sessions to learn to use them in a team context? It's weird.

Also, I wonder if the Ted Lasso think is primarily just because he has an American accent. Might be the first time those players encounter an American in soccer. (In what? Soccer.)

I see people say they dislike Shaw quite often, but when he speaks to the press, I think he often speaks a lot of sense and stands up for the club quite well. Not everyone's favorite players in terms of quality and style maybe, but I don't see why he would be one of the 'difficult' players.

JB7

No, Maguire and Shaw were pathetic for the goal. That save from long distance was impressive, it bounced at the wrong time for a 'keeper and he had a strong wrist to make sure it went away from the danger zone.

Well if he wanted the Real move that bad, he'd have rejected the contract offers we put infront of him and signed for Real for free with a big signing on bonus.

The higher salary is down to the club, it's their fault it was offered. There's been countless times under Moyes, LvG, Jose and Ole were de Gea have saved us, with an inferior 'keeper we'd have been even worse off points wise.
They were pathetic for the goal, as was the goalkeeper. It was a terrible goal to concede in so many ways & the goalkeepers contribution was one of them, he was slow off his line as usual and as Rodriguez instead of making himself big he twisted his body to essentially show him where to put the ball. It is absolutely terrible goalkeeping.

And as I said, Madrid moved on. They for once backed their manager who didn’t want him and ended up signing Courtios, so he couldn’t have gone there. Surely you don’t genuinely believe for one second he wouldn’t have gone if they had continued their internet in him?

romufc

I am not sure what you want? Clearly under Ole it was just open football, no real tactical set up and when you play that way, the result could go either way.

Under Ralf, he wants more control where he trusts the team to get a result, a game plan so you dont lose 4-1 to Watford, or win 1-0 with the opponent missing loads of chances.

I mean most teams who want to win stuff are highly dependent on goals, otherwise how do you win a football game?

CloneMC16

Those pundits/journalists aren't watching the games. They can't be. If the conclusions they've come to is that we're no better than under Ole, they're completely clueless or don't watch the games. It's a laughable statement to make.

I think there has been clear progress since the Villa game in the FAC. We were playing decently for 45 minutes and then shit for the other 45. Things improved further against West Ham. We clearly controlled the game. We were struggling to make chances, but gave them almost nothing. We haven't looked defensively solid like that for years.

Boro and Burnley games were both similar to each other. We controlled the majority of the game, created chances, but struggled to score. Even though these teams aren't of high quality, it is still progress. After watching us make everybody look good for a long time, you have to take notice of any improvement in performance.

I was pissed off after the first few matches. I wanted to see instant results, but we were seeing little to nothing. Only against Palace for 45 minutes did we see anything different in his first games. It's been different over the last month.

Most of this forum are incredibly outcome-orientated.

I knew we were in massive trouble this season after the Wolves game. We won that match 1-0, but I said to a friend of mine that if that's how we're going to play football this season, being that open and easy to play against, we are going to have huge problems. We should have lost that game 0-3, and Wolves find it notoriously difficult to score goals.

Conversely, lately we have drawn with Villa after being 0-2 up, been knocked out the cup by Boro and drawn with Burnley, yet I feel more optimistic than ever. In each of those games, we play very well for 70/80-minutes and suffered from blips in concentration or lack of options in key areas at key moments (I am thinking Villa, not having the option to replace Matic on the hour when his legs went). Those things can be easily fixed.
The Wolves game is when I fully became Ole out. I was on the fence before that, but it became clear that we couldn't keep playing in this way. The result didn't matter. The performance was absolutely diabolical. We should have been well behind before we scored. Too many games were like that under Ole. We were so open, and easy to counter. Every team looked good against us.

Nowhere near on the same scale, but we've had some similar issues with teams looking like world beaters against us under Rangnick. We weren't as open, but we still lost complete control of the game. It looked like we would concede every time we got attacked.

We at least look like we're heading in the right direction. Even if recent results aren't great. The performances are better. It's hard to understand how some fans/journalists can watch the recent performances and think there is no difference to how we played under Ole.

hobbers

Absolutely no coincidence that Shaw is the most suspected leaker and he's the one cropping up now.

Greck

Not even a Lingard sympathiser but the way people go after easy targets to spare their favs is ridiculous. Lingard was away last season and we still had leaks. Players who aren't even sure they'll be here next season have the least reason to give a toss about the coaching going forward. With Martial and VDB gone it's easy to move to fringe players but why haven't the leaks reduced with half of the fringe players away from the club? What about the first teamers like Bruno who whine all the time or Rashford and Shaw who are active in the press? Put everyone under the microscope or put no one under it.

Greck

Even media guys have had enough of these lot.
Ridiculous criticism. If as a player you aren't sharp enough then come early and do your own fitness drills. The biggest problem Ralf walked into was a lack of tactical cohesion in possession. 11v11 drills absolutely make sense. Incredibly unlikable bunch. I don't know how the culture ended up somehow more toxic than when Jose left. At least most of the unlikable aspect of Jose's United came on the pitch.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What will the excuses be this time? VAR? Refs? Chances missed?

Time to call a spade for a spade. He isn’t the guy.

el3mel

I'm done. Sack him and find another interim for the last 3 months. He's an absolute fraud.

He did the same stupid sub again and played the last 10 minutes without any midfield expecting the ball to reach the forward on its own.

He talks the talk but his in game management is absolute shit and his subs are so stupid it's ridiculous.

2 years consultancy my ass.

Sack him.

Long Time Red

We should honestly cut our losses with this guy.

5 wins, 4 draws and a loss from the fixtures we've had isn't anywhere near good enough. Only 2 of those were against teams in the top half of the table.

I really don't think we'd be any worse if we gave it Lucien Favre or Rudi Garcia until the end of the season.

We're not looking like we're going to get top 4.

If we don't, are Ten Hag and Pochettino still going to come? Will we be able to sign the players we need to sign?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Terrible terrible terrible. Appointing him was a big mistake.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He's not worked wonders but then again you feel he's hamstrung. Why are Rashford and Maguire starting game in, game out.

Does he rate them or is he being told to pick them?

This club is so rotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.