Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveinToronto

The Red Bull clubs are literally the biggest brand-pushing and company PR clubs in football. And they are also fecking minnows who'll never do anything relevant. Except kick us out of CL in a couple of weeks
Manchester United fans hoping that "Ralf" 'builds' them up like the Red Bull clubs is just bizarre to me. You're a massive, historic club that only needs a great next manager. I mean you got 2nd place in the PL even after appointing your mascot to the permanent manager position. There's clubs out there that would kill for a 'decline' like that. You don't need fundamental rebuilding, have some pride.
Pride?
We are at least thousand miles behind City and Liverpool, if not lightyears. Last PL almost a decade ago; we have absolutely no chance to challenge PL in the last season, this season and most certainly the next one.

Stop living in the past and moans about what a massive, historic club we were. We are no body right now and have failed miserably to close the gap between our rivals after SAF era. We can no longer acquire the talents as we used to be; have the tendency to pay ridiculously overpriced transfer fees and salaries for bang average players in recent years and playing with absurd tactics.

After the nightmare of Ole (Nice guy, just no where near qualify as a manager), It is time to realise this club is in need for modern development; and having RR as an interim is a good step to start with.

Kaos

The Red Bull clubs are literally the biggest brand-pushing and company PR clubs in football. And they are also fecking minnows who'll never do anything relevant. Except kick us out of CL in a couple of weeks
Manchester United fans hoping that "Ralf" 'builds' them up like the Red Bull clubs is just bizarre to me. You're a massive, historic club that only needs a great next manager. I mean you got 2nd place in the PL even after appointing your mascot to the permanent manager position. There's clubs out there that would kill for a 'decline' like that. You don't need fundamental rebuilding, have some pride.
Pride hasn't gotten us anywhere in the last decade or so. We might be Manchester United, but we don't have United level of players, coaching or scouting, and we're a level or two below our rivals. It'll take more than just a top manager to take us back to the top, we need a complete revamp in all areas of the club. Might as well put trust in someone who has some success with this, even if its with 'minnows'.

Lyng

We have been very aggressive since the last two games. I am getting the us vs them mentality again as we used to have it.
Yeah that's absolutely true. And you can see a fire in players like Pogba and Bruno today that was never truly present before.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
You do realize that you are... Manchester United?

:confused:
I don’t understand what you’re alluding to in your post?

The club doesn’t need rebuilding? Or that we need someone with a higher reputation for building modern football sides other than than rangnick (if that’s the case then who?!)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Out of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole and Ralf.....I easily like LVG most. My cup of tea.

LVG at least. Go out on the pitch to boss opponents teams. The problem with LVG is. LVG didnt had Bruno. With Bruno in LVG team and squad. LVG would be closer to premier league title.

Rest are too safe for my taste. Go out there express yourself, show how good you really and dominate and boss the ball and pitch. Of the five. Only LVG had it. Rest are counterattack managers. Set up to break and counterattack.

Give me some Pep or Klopp. Boss others mentality.
Sorry wake me up when memories of Lvg have passed. I’ve never witnessed a more boring team in my entire life being a United fan.

MrSingh2002

Give Ralf the permanent job.

He says it how it is and it's what the squad and club needs. Pragmatism.

We need to be pragmatic when making team selections, substitutions and making transfer signings.

Choose pragmatism. Vote Rangnick.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Give Ralf the permanent job.

He says it how it is and it's what the squad and club needs. Pragmatism.

We need to be pragmatic when making team selections, substitutions and making transfer signings.

Choose pragmatism. Vote Rangnick.
He himself will admit he's not the best manager, hence why he usually steps aside and brings in somebody with a similar vision but, that is better at getting that vision across.

If he does really well the hope would be the club would put a lot more faith into him in his consultancy role and allow him to have a big say on what manager we need next.

Real Name

Improvement is there for all to see. Yet we had guys saying its the same as with Ole and Carrick should of stayed.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
since Ralf has come in we’ve gone from almost relegation form to the 3rd most points in the league. No transfers in. Signs are good. I agree with posters saying he has a tendency to step aside and leave the day to day and motivating to another manager and he goes bigger picture. I’d be happy enough with that. He’s trusting the right kind of players and mixing style and steel well. Think he’ll find some deadly players who’ll really compliment what we already have

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Best thing he's done is bench Rashford.
The kid probably thought he had a free ride with Mason gone.

No excuses for being a below-average footballer

el3mel

I generally agree, absolutely, but Ole's United mauled Leeds more than once
Even the worst result Ralf has pulled out this season is best than the shitshow under Ole this season.

I want to forget those Ole 3 years completely as if they have never existed. Except for Bruno's signing, his tenure set the club several years back.

Cathy Ferguson

since Ralf has come in we’ve gone from almost relegation form to the 3rd most points in the league. No transfers in. Signs are good. I agree with posters saying he has a tendency to step aside and leave the day to day and motivating to another manager and he goes bigger picture. I’d be happy enough with that. He’s trusting the right kind of players and mixing style and steel well. Think he’ll find some deadly players who’ll really compliment what we already have
There is definately improvement but too many points were dropped against teams we should have beaten. And in March we play City, Spurs and Pool. The table might not look so nice then. The games against Spurs and Arsenal we be very important.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
After Watford on Saturday the dream run of fixtures is over. We'll only see then whether we've actually progressed. We'll need points from unexpected games to have any chance of top 4 and can't afford any slip ups in home games.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There is definately improvement but too many points were dropped against teams we should have beaten. And in March we play City, Spurs and Pool. The table might not look so nice then. The games against Spurs and Arsenal we be very important.
that’s a fair point. You’re never more than 2 games away from disaster/crisis here. I understand that. I just like the way he’s trying to get us playing. He changed too much too soon and messed around until he finally got a few players into form in a more familiar system. We are 100% working much harder. It’s night and day

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
P12
W7
D4
L1

On the face of things not a great record when you consider the opposition, when you factor in some of the performances in the wins though it's even less impressive (and even more so when you factor in being dumped out of the FA Cup at home to Boro outside of the above League form). I find it mental anyone would want him to stay on

C'est Moi Cantona

Just stick to the plan, replace him as manager in the summer, and put him upstairs next season with full say over all the important footballing decisions we need to make, we might actually get somewhere if we do.

BlahRules

Even the worst result Ralf has pulled out this season is best than the shitshow under Ole this season.

I want to forget those Ole 3 years completely as if they have never existed. Except for Bruno's signing, his tenure set the club several years back.
Agreed. I don't know why people think Ole reign was any sort of success. All we heard was him bringing the culture back which was far from the truth, he gave the players all the power to do feck all. When Jose left he just let players do whatever they want. It's shown on the game, every one of them going for the glory which they can boast about on their social media.

Flexdegea

P12
W7
D4
L1

On the face of things not a great record when you consider the opposition, when you factor in some of the performances in the wins though it's even less impressive (and even more so when you factor in being dumped out of the FA Cup at home to Boro outside of the above League form). I find it mental anyone would want him to stay on

Comparison to where we been this season against any sort of team doesn't matter the league standing. Its a good record

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
After Watford on Saturday the dream run of fixtures is over. We'll only see then whether we've actually progressed. We'll need points from unexpected games to have any chance of top 4 and can't afford any slip ups in home games.
Ralfy's first real test

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am really pleased that we are starting to see things come off under Rangnick.

First, we became a bit better defensively and in controlling where the action happens. Then we started getting better going at opponents. Now we have started turning that pressure into goals.

Should we be doing better? Yes. However, the improvement has been obvious. With better decision making in attack against Burnley and Southampton this could have been the third game running we'd scored four.

We are seeing Ralf's plan begin to take shape. Given the lack of a preseason, as well as unwillingness to back him in the market, I am feeling fairly positive about the situation.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Comparison to where we been this season against any sort of team doesn't matter the league standing. Its a good record
'where we've been this season' is completely irrelevant when discussing whether he should stay on or not. That's an incredibly low bar

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I don’t understand what you’re alluding to in your post?

The club doesn’t need rebuilding? Or that we need someone with a higher reputation for building modern football sides other than than rangnick (if that’s the case then who?!)
What is rebuilding? What is a modern football side? These are such big words and I don't know what they actually are supposed to mean. The modern football bit, for example, is being used all the time. In reality, Rangnick's football is not intrinsically more "modern" than what many teams in the league play already anyway.
What you need is a DoF with a somewhat coherent footballing vision (as far as we know you've got one now), and then a manager who shares and executes that vision, or a version of it (such a manager will come in summer). Then a couple of transfers, - what other rebuilding do you have in mind? The stadium probably is the area where the term applies best.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
City and Liverpool will start to take us seriously again under somebody like Ten Hag.

If Ralf gets the job I don't see the gap closing that much if I'm honest. Not enough anyway.

It's time the club had a total kick up the backside. We need a top coach and coaching team.

DON’T PANIC ™

It’s obvious we’ve improved since RR took over but I’m still worried how frail we appear at the back. I suppose I thought that his coaching would help shore things up more than it has. We still concede far too many.
Whilst a lot of his subs make sense, compared with Ole, I couldn’t understand why he left McTom on the pitch today. I think we were lucky that didn’t backfire.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
City and Liverpool will start to take us seriously again under somebody like Ten Hag.

If Ralf gets the job I don't see the gap closing that much if I'm honest. Not enough anyway.

It's time the club had a total kick up the backside. We need a top coach and coaching team.
Well, that's just an assumption, you are making from somewhere based on nothing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well, that's just an assumption, you are making from somewhere based on nothing.
Well yeah that's kind of how predictions work mate. If I knew for certain what was going to happen I'd be a multi billionaire and I wouldn't be on here talking with you fine people.

My opinion....Ten Hag is the next great manager. We need to get him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
P12
W7
D4
L1

That's a over 50% win rate while he changed how we play without having preseason, the team suffering a covid setback and losing a starter in Greenwood.

You're not being realistic if you think that's a bad record. The team was playing so bad under Ole that we could literally lose to any team in the league.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Best thing he's done is bench Rashford.
The kid probably thought he had a free ride with Mason gone.

No excuses for being a below-average footballer
He's not a below average footballer. He's in awful form that we need to get to the bottom of.

He proved during 2019/20 that he is excellent when on form, practically kept Ole in a job until Bruno arrived.

Playing through injuries may have screwed him. Playing through abuse also will have affected him.

I agree Rangnick dropping him is a good thing though. Even if it gives him a rest more than anything.

rotherham_red

Was going to argue this, but then saw the poster who has me on ignore... Never mind.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
like the manager not his fault at all this season he’s trying to salvage something from it. Think it’ll take a few seasons but if we give him time to pick the new manager bring in new players or better a new profile of player we will see the benefits. Few years rebuild could ultimately prove advantageous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
P12
W7
D4
L1

Context matters. Its mental anyone would totally ignore that we lost 5-0 to Liverpool, 4-2 to Leicester, 4-2 to Watford and got mauled by City in the month prior to his appointment. That makes his record more impressive.

We also went from a stacked squad to slightly barebones in attack with Greenwood, Martial and Cavani all out for different reasons.

Abraxas

He's doing well but also what I'd expect. You expect a reputable manager to come in and compete for 4th with the squad we have, especially with nice fixtures. We're a long way off securing that but the trends are moving towards it. We're playing better overall even though I think there has been some inconsistency and a lag in players fully adjusting to his ideas.

But it's definitely no reason to get giddy and start talking about extending his stay as manager. It's always going to be an audition in a sense because if he cocks it up how can he retain credibility as a consultant? So I would imagine from his point of view he fancies himself as manager.

But we don't have to until he very much demonstrates his prowess and that needs time to assess. It's not a case of climaxing over a few wins. This is Man Utd manager, you should have to achieve a fairly modest goal, very notably improve performances and players over a period and then we'll talk. Also depends on who else is up for the job even if he does all that.

But its very clear to me he wants this job. When you have been Utd manager I don't think he'll be getting a hard on for becoming a consultant with God knows what influence.

Last edited:

Teja

Yep I sort of agree. I still think Rangnick is great / what we need (been saying it through the draws, losses etc.) but it's also possible that we get knocked out of the CL against Atleti, lose to City, Pool in the next few weeks and an inevitable Caf meltdown will occur.

I'm not honestly bothered if we lose City (A) and Pool (A) - they're by far the best sides in the league and very few people can even give them a contest at home. As long as it's a decent fight, I'm happy.

The must-win there is Spurs (H). If we lose at OT to Conte's men, I can imagine the pitchforks out saying we should've gone for Conte etc. etc. not to mention a serious dent in the top four hopes.

If we navigate that fixture run with Watford (W), City (D), Tot (W), Pool (L) I think we'll be in decent shape for top four.

Arsenal need to slip up against Wolves next week or they by far have the easier end to the season.

The permanent appointment should still be a measured / thought through. I don't want us to give him the job just because he gets a result against City / Pool,

Status
Not open for further replies.