Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So, with the tough fixtures coming up, primarily in the Pl ,and with our somewhat indifferent results through the so-called 'easier fixtures' are we going to see Ralf have his own little LVG-esq purple patch now ?
That three game period under LVG was predominantly the brightest spark, minor the FA Cup victory, we had under his reign (of boredom) and one where there was little confidence heading into those fixtures.
Are we feeling the same now under Ralf and, like LVG, can we turn it around and surprise a few people ?

romufc

When he signed for us I knew it would take a while for him to implement his system and style. It has taken longer than I thought but I did say, he would be playing his way by the CL game.

So, I am going to judge him based on how well we do in the CL, we need to start winning these games against slightly above average oppositions.

We want to aspire to be competing then this tie is a must win.

Marcus

I am open to Ralf getting the job permanently IF we achieve a convincing 3rd place and progress deep into the CL with the team playing well. At least semi-finals.

izec

He is a good interim, but think we should go for someone for 3 years. Rangnick is not the guy IMO, unless we get in the coaches he wants. But even then, i would rather an upgrade and Ralf to consultancy.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Give Ralf the permanent job.

He says it how it is and it's what the squad and club needs. Pragmatism.

We need to be pragmatic when making team selections, substitutions and making transfer signings.

Choose pragmatism. Vote Rangnick.
I can say it how it is as well, doesnt mean Id be the best fit for manager.

Rangnick has never been a tropy winning manager and he has had a long career. More importantly, the most of his career the past 20 years has been spent in administration.

The only good option on the table is Ten Hag

SER19

How id love if we go far in the CL. He took on a tough job with us completely out of sorts and a supposedly rotten dressing room then the Greenwood situation. Hes handled it all without much chaos.

You could argue we've yet to see what he's all about tactically as we've been expected to win pretty much every game he's been in charge for. Huge games over the next month will define his time here.

Seems like a good guy so i hope he seals top 4 and facilitates a sensible handover

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
I'm not even sure RR wants the job permanently, if a suitable candidate can't be found I'd rather just give him a season long contract and then have move upstairs after.

cyberman

Doing well. What I do find strange is fan using since he came here stats to fluff up Tuchel last year but Rangnick is in that exact same position and not much is made of it.
Sometimes organisation is all that’s needed

The-Natural

Been an excellent interim manager thus far. The criticism he gets on here is totally beyond me. People seem to have forgotten just how awful we were under Ole this season before he was sacked.

MancBorg

Ralf has turned relegation form into decent form but I still think we wont make top 4. If the players weren't allergic to being ahead in games then we'd have a shot but the points dropped from winning positions will cost us.

Any match going fans noticed how ever since we came out from HT early to do that stupid mini warm up we concede within 15 mins so often?? Might be hearing hooves and shouting zebras but its a weird coincidence.

Wouldn't mind Ralf staying on if he gets us competitive in the big games coming up. Ten Hag seems good but pretty much completely unproven. My other concern with him would be his inexperience in England. Dutch football is basically zero contact and very much about positional play. He's done well in Europe but again refs are quick to blow up.

His Ajax team lost to spurs. We beat them in the europa final (was that Ten Hag?). Donny has come over and wants to pass pass pass but was he not getting picked because he doesn't win duels? Bearing in mind he was up against Scott and Fred he mustn't have been doing something pretty important.

Nothing against ETH but dutch football is so different and in recent years I can't think of any successful imports...

Mike Smalling

I think he has done a really good job. Clear improvement on Ole. Especially, I think it is great that he has not been afraid to mix it up with his selections. AWB is crap, so why not play Dalot? Rashford is out of form, so why not bench him?

When looking at the results, you have to consider a few things. First, he took over a team in complete disarray that must have been super low on confidence. Second, he has clear limitations on his player material - Greenwood is now gone, and it was only recently he got Pogba back.

Let's see how it develops. Of course it would be best to get our long term manager in as soon as possible, but if the right guy is not available, I wouldn't mind keeping Ralfy onboard, provided things continue to trend in the right direction.

Flexdegea

'where we've been this season' is completely irrelevant when discussing whether he should stay on or not. That's an incredibly low bar

I'm not saying he should stay on. His results have been good since he came into a total shitshow.

He doing a good job on that front in my opinion.

Glorio

P12
W7
D4
L1

On the face of things not a great record when you consider the opposition, when you factor in some of the performances in the wins though it's even less impressive (and even more so when you factor in being dumped out of the FA Cup at home to Boro outside of the above League form). I find it mental anyone would want him to stay on
Are you factoring in some of the performances in the losses too? As there were some pretty good ones.
If you're going to use the performance lens over the wins, should do the same over the losses.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
P12
W7
D4
L1

On the face of things not a great record when you consider the opposition, when you factor in some of the performances in the wins though it's even less impressive (and even more so when you factor in being dumped out of the FA Cup at home to Boro outside of the above League form). I find it mental anyone would want him to stay on
I find it mental someone can just look at results and ignore all context

mctrials23

Hes had a fantastically easy run of games for the most part but hes also managing a fantastically dysfunctional squad so its still hard to make heads or tails of it IMO.

Personally I think he has done pretty well. I think that if we get top 4 he will have done a fantastic job but ultimately I think he is better off moving upstairs and letting another manager in.

I would suggest there is a reason he hasn't been managing much for the past X years. Either he isn't a top manager or he doesn't want to be a manager. I feel like Bielsa is a good comparison. By all accounts he is lauded by a lot of top managers as being top class and very influential but there is clearly something that means he isn't among the worlds elite managers.

I am happy with ETH or Poch. Getting Poch would finally put that debate to bed about whether he is good enough given a top club and resources. PSG is just a weird place to manage. I don't put much stock in anything that happens there.

Get ETH would be exciting but I have no idea how he would fare with such a spoilt bunch of players. Would they respect him enough for his ideas to work. Same reason someone like Potter would probably fail. The player are a bunch of overpaid, underworked, entitled ******* who would rather throw a good manager under the bus than have to look at themselves or work hard.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think he's done a good job here. Not that any manager is beyond criticism, but I do think some of it is unfair. The results have been good in the main, and the performances have been slowly improving, while still not being good enough. But since he's come in, I think only Manchester City have more Premier League points and goals, while no team has lost fewer games. That's what I read, anyway.

Not too shabby.

Revan

Assumptionman
'where we've been this season' is completely irrelevant when discussing whether he should stay on or not. That's an incredibly low bar
It really isn't. He took a broken team that had conceded 16 goals in the last 6 matches, losing 4 of them. With the players being severely undercoached for 3 years.

It always was going to take a bit of time, regardless of who is the manager.

Judas

Open to offers
I really like him, think he’s done well, still don’t think he should keep the job. It would take a very special end of the season for me to change my mind. But he’s doing his current interim job well.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The Red Bull clubs are literally the biggest brand-pushing and company PR clubs in football. And they are also fecking minnows who'll never do anything relevant. Except kick us out of CL in a couple of weeks
Manchester United fans hoping that "Ralf" 'builds' them up like the Red Bull clubs is just bizarre to me. You're a massive, historic club that only needs a great next manager. I mean you got 2nd place in the PL even after appointing your mascot to the permanent manager position. There's clubs out there that would kill for a 'decline' like that. You don't need fundamental rebuilding, have some pride.
I completely disagree.

Look at the money United spent since Fergie left. Look at the different managers that all had different approach to the game.

It was like every new manager first needed 2 or 3 years of time and 10 transfers to build a team according to his vision.

And THAT is and was the problem of United in the last decade because you can never grow a really successful team like that.

For us at Bayern van Gaal did just that. He implemented an idea of football that is still the foundation today. And every player and coach we got (bar Kovac) and even the youth teams followed this approach.

Look at Barcelona and how long the foundation set by Pep carried them through different coaches.

Take a look at City where they basically already started to build a team for Pep 1 or 2 years before he joined.

Look at the well oiled machine that is Liverpool now. The scouting and transfer approach is completely adjusted to Klopps style of play (or he decides all transfers, I don't know).

United needs a new identity. A style of play that is characteristic to this club. An approach to the game that will last at least a decade and span multiple coaches and generations of players.
That's imo their only way back to the top of European football.

And I'd really trust Ralf with that.

SATA

I enjoyed seeing him giving our away fans the fist up pump after the game when our players and him went over to applaud them. Looked like he really enjoyed the win and has praised our amazing support several times

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I completely disagree.

Look at the money United spent since Fergie left. Look at the different managers that all had different approach to the game.

It was like every new manager first needed 2 or 3 years of time and 10 transfers to build a team according to his vision.
That's true, but that doesn't collide with what I wrote. The club didn't have a coherent vision in the past decade, but an incoherent one (as can be seen in the hiring of Mourinho after Van Gaal, and in giving Solksjaer the permanent manager position after claiming a DoF would be hired before a new manager would be decided, just because Solskjaer did well initially and was popular.)
But they have a DoF now, and that DoF hired Rangnick as interim and advisor, so we can assume he shares the latter's systematical approach and strives for coherence. He's also a seasoned club builder -at academy level- himself - he's just not given credit for it by anyone because bizarrely Man United fans don't care to know about their DoF.

The change in structure has JUST happened. The CEO has changed too, to one that doesn't want to meddle anymore. Now it's up to the DoF to do his job - which includes hiring a proper manager/head coach. He can rely on Rangnick for expertise, but he doesn't need Rangnick to do his job for him.

So many posters on here straight up refuse to acknowledge the reality of personnel changes and structure that has happened, at their own club, and then fantasize about some complete from the ground rebuild of their club that isn't actually arguably that broken anymore.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RuudTom83

Tough month ahead, but regardless of results I find watching Ralf interesting. He goes about his business different to any other manager. So I’m looking forward to seeing him in Europe and then against the bigger teams in the league.

I dont expect much from the season and a Top 4 finish will never be something I care about…so I can just enjoy the ride and see how the team develops.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's true, but that doesn't collide with what I wrote. The club didn't have a coherent vision in the past decade, but an incoherent one (as can be seen in the hiring of Mourinho after Van Gaal, and in giving Solksjaer the permanent manager position after claiming a DoF would be hired before a new manager would be decided, just because Solskjaer did well initially and was popular.)
But they have a DoF now, and that DoF hired Rangnick as interim and advisor, so we can assume he shares the latter's systematical approach and strives for coherence. He's also a seasoned club builder -at academy level- himself - he's just not given credit for it by anyone because bizarrely Man United fans don't care to know about their DoF.

The change in structure has JUST happened. The CEO has changed too, to one that doesn't want to meddle anymore. Now it's up to the DoF to do his job - which includes hiring a proper manager/head coach. He can rely on Rangnick for expertise, but he doesn't need Rangnick to do his job for him.

So many posters on here straight up refuse to acknowledge the reality of personnel changes and structure that has happened, at their own club, and then fantasize about some complete from the ground rebuild of their club that isn't actually arguably that broken anymore.
Hm maybe i just don't know enough about the DoF. I had the impression that he was more of a business guy and that they still lack the "football" brain.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Trex

Since we abandoned the 4222 we have been playing good.....but we still have some way to go, I will rather we stick to the plan and appoint someone like Ten Hag in the summer.

suheilsworld

I’m quite happy with him as an interim and he’ll be a good consultant to work behind the scenes for our next manager and player recruitment. Likeable guy.
March will be his true test with the tough games coming up.

allen7

Lots of positives in last few games mainly sancho, pogba and bruno getting their form back. Finishing also became good lately with a settled backline. Midfield passing is somewhat okayish but not great.

Athletico doesn’t have carrasco so its an advantage to us.

My prediction against upcoming games are,

Athletico (a) 1-2 win
Watford (h) 2-0 win
City (a) - 0-2 loss
Spurs (h) - 1-1 draw
Athletico (h) 1-0 win
Liverpool (a) 2-2 draw

Hope we smash it and move from march without losing many points.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Lots of positives in last few games mainly sancho, pogba and bruno getting their form back. Finishing also became good lately with a settled backline. Midfield passing is somewhat okayish but not great.

Athletico doesn’t have carrasco so its an advantage to us.

My prediction against upcoming games are,

Athletico (a) 1-2 win
Watford (h) 2-0 win
City (a) - 0-2 loss
Spurs (h) - 1-1 draw
Athletico (h) 1-0 win
Liverpool (a) 2-2 draw

Hope we smash it and move from march without losing many points.
Sooo, we win City? :wenger:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The honeymoon period is over now, and so far he's done a very decent job IMO. 1 defeat in 11 leagues game I think, and it's only a couple of silly draws that have prevented us from having an outstanding record under him. Yes we've had a nice run of fixtures but there are also noticeable signs of a structure emerging, so much so that even some of the dropped points have ended up feeling encouraging.

I don't subscribe to all this 'the players haven't been coached for 3 years' crap, but without a doubt (and to be fair its usually the case after a sacking) he took on a squad in a very poor place mentally. We shouldn't underestimate the damage that would have been done by those big defeats.

The next month though will show whether he should be considered for a extension. We shouldn't realistically be expecting us to win at City at Liverpool, or necessarily even to get past Atletico (though we should), but we must put out performances that suggest that he is tactically aware enough to have us not looking outclassed. He's had long enough here now to be judged on that in these coming weeks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are you factoring in some of the performances in the losses too? As there were some pretty good ones.
If you're going to use the performance lens over the wins, should do the same over the losses.
Yes. The performance against Wolves was awful

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Superb post.

You've absolutely nailed it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

A Bayern fan knows what's up.

Great post.

fallengt

He's done fine-ish so far but the real test is ahead.
Our next 5-6 matches would give any top manager headache let alone interim one.
Best of luck to him and the team.

lost7

He's done fine-ish so far but the real test is ahead.
Our next 5-6 matches would give any top manager headache let alone interim one.
Best of luck to him and the team.
Even if we smash Atletico and get 9 points against City, Spurs and Liverpool I'd still go for Ten Hag

Status
Not open for further replies.