Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentwood

Great interview on BT Sport. Knows exactly what our issues are and is going to get it right eventually.

Also should have quietened some of the usual numpties with his analysis of the AM goal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think he is having a pop at rashford by saying more players need to play like elanga.
I don't think Rangnick was talking just about Rashford. There were experienced players out there playing like the football was a grenade in the first half.

Elanga at least never looked like his first touch, short passing or decision making had gone down the tubes. He played the game in front of him not the occasion and I think, besides Ronaldo, every single player who started for us can learn from Elanga's approach to the tie.

Didn't mind Vic playing RB, explained it as set pieces (Athletico dive for FKs), also for a back five if needed but plan goes in the bin if you concede inside ten mins (as Rangnick explained)
Yeah, you can see why he tinkered with it and he deserves some recognition for switching things up when things went south.

He knows that this team lacks conviction and gets shaken at the first sign of trouble. I get that, even though its tough as a fan to watch. This season our squad had a once in a 100 years lost to Liverpool. That's not the kinda thing you wake up the next day and shake off. The confidence is brittle and it IS partly Rangnick's job to fix it.

However, if its not possible, then you gotta bring in players who haven't been scarred by the bad times we've had this season like Elanga. Unless a lot of the current set can 'get over it' they might not have a future at Man Utd. That's becoming more and more clear.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Oh I see. I haven't seen the interview as didn't want to give BT one more minute of viewership :lol:

The important thing is that he recognised what's not working and wasn't afraid to try something else.
Absolutely. Sometimes plan make sense and aren't crazy

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The more I listen to this guy the happier I am at his appointment. He might need another manager to come in & do the job but I genuinely feel that he knows what he is talking about . There is nothing fake with him

Murder on Zidane's Floor

As well he shouldn't. I 100% blamed them for that first half and not Ralf. No way would send them out to start the game like that.
Honestly, players need to park their egos or whatever other issues they have and concentrate on putting in the very best performances. Fans have faithfully supported them and paying hard earned money to go watch them play and the players need to remember that and be humble.
Honestly, how can you blame a manager for players passing out of play

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I don't think Rangnick was talking just about Rashford. There were experienced players out there playing like the football was a grenade in the first half.

Elanga at least never looked like his first touch, short passing or decision making had gone down the tubes. He played the game in front of him not the occasion and I think, besides Ronaldo, every single player who started for us can learn from Elanga's approach to the tie.

Yeah, you can see why he tinkered with it and he deserves some recognition for switching things up when things went south.

He knows that this team lacks conviction and gets shaken at the first sign of trouble. I get that, even though its tough as a fan to watch. This season our squad had a once in a 100 years lost to Liverpool. That's not the kinda thing you wake up the next day and shake off. The confidence is brittle and it IS partly Rangnick's job to fix it.

However, if its not possible, then you gotta bring in players who haven't been scarred by the bad times we've had this season like Elanga. Unless a lot of the current set can 'get over it' they might not have a future at Man Utd. That's becoming more and more clear.
Totally agree!

tomaldinho1

Rangnick: "I wish a few other players would take him [Elanga] as a role model."

That’s one hell of a statement. Bravo Rangnick.
Yep. Been a while since some of this team have played in a meritocracy, long may it continue.

A huge amount of basic errors tonight, cut them out and we’re very hard to score against.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sets team up, concedes really early, team set up is now in the bin.

Like setting up for a counter and then conceding and then the other team sit back
At this level you can't pick an XI to work on the premise that you don't concede first, we're not quite in a relegation battle yet

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
He didn’t set up the team up based on that premise. His point was that he felt that Lindelof was a more defensive option and would help a lot in set pieces . Once they scored early though it made it harder for United because they were sitting back and Lindelof wasn’t able to give much going forward . It’s a reasonable explanation, in a big cl away game there is nothing wrong with starting off cautiously

Murder on Zidane's Floor

He didn’t set up the team up based on that premise. His point was that he felt that Lindelof was a more defensive option and would help a lot in set pieces . Once they scored early though it made it harder for United because they were sitting back and Lindelof wasn’t able to give much going forward . It’s a reasonable explanation, in a big cl away game there is nothing wrong with starting off cautiously
Exactly. They dive all the time and buy freekicks

Conor

Assume I'm blind so. What has changed?
You can say you don't rate what he has done, or you don't like the changes he's made, but to claim there has been no change just makes zero sense. It's absolutely clear to see that there has been a change in the way we play.

Gavinb33

Managers get shit wrong happens all the time, what you can say he changed it with the subs he brought on.

Also I'll say this about him he has sussed these players out well and truly his comments at the end of the game show that.

fallengt

Weird starting lineup & subs but fair play to him.
He knew the team was absolute shit but still played to our strength.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Maguire, Rashford and shaw have let him down. They can't moan that they haven't gotten enough chances under him either.

Bruno and pogba had a mare.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not sure why he went with Lindelof at RB but early goal didnt help his tactics.
Rashford, Maguire and Shaw have really downed their tools and its not helping his case. But there is clear progress and we have stopped leaking goals and losing.

united for life

in a big cl away game, don’t experiment. He sat 2 right backs on the bench and started lindelof there. That was a gamble that he shouldn’t have made.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sets team up, concedes really early, team set up is now in the bin.

Like setting up for a counter and then conceding and then the other team sit back
Rangnick's set up was unchanged - he was quite clear in the post match interview that the first half was not the way he had instructed his players to go.

432JuanMata

Love the fact he called out the players for the first half and some of the players when talking about Elanga.

The starting lineup was wrong in hindsight but it’s nice to have a manager that can see the problems and make the right changes. His subs 99% of the time are perfect for the situation and tonight was no different

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not sure why he went with Lindelof at RB but early goal didnt help his tactics.
Rashford, Maguire and Shaw have really downed their tools and its not helping his case. But there is clear progress and we have stopped leaking goals and losing.
He said pretty much the game plan was to nick a goal first and then go straight to 3 at the back, which Lindelof would have been a part of. That went out the window though.

United in sin

The more I listen to this guy the happier I am at his appointment. He might need another manager to come in & do the job but I genuinely feel that he knows what he is talking about . There is nothing fake with him
I totally agree. He's a breath of fresh air

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Rangnick's set up was unchanged - he was quite clear in the post match interview that the first half was not the way he had instructed his players to go.
Rashford and shaw were rattled, the stage was too big for them, they were afraid of receiving the ball. Maguire and fred were fecking around too, then varane decided he wasn't going to be left out of the party and checked out for 5 mins.

Did i mention pogba and bruno ? Thank the heavens we weren't smashed 5 nil in the first half itself.

Not much any manager can do except benching the lot of them but that would be too extreme of a move.

I was under the impression that his teams play a high intensity pressing style of football. I dont see that and there really should be signs of that style by now. Disappointed with that tbh.
We clearly don’t have the players to implement it, so he’s smart in being pragmatic. As I say, due to that he’s taken over a team that lost 7 in 20, to losing 1 in 16.

United in sin

I was under the impression that his teams play a high intensity pressing style of football. I dont see that and there really should be signs of that style by now. Disappointed with that tbh.
It's going to take a while to get these players in optimal physical condition for the type of heavy metal football Rangknick wants us to play for 90 minutes. Look how long it took Klopp and consider how many players he had to get rid of for instance. These players of ours bitched about double training sessions

hatchetmac

Most of the players couldn't press with a rocket up there arses. He obviously tells them the game plan but the players can't be bothered implementing it.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Just read his interview and every word is honest and makes sense. The only thing I'd call him on is not making the change at right back earlier. He's a breath of fresh air in his interviews. To hell with defending the players. Work your arse off or take the flak.

dave2528

Top subs to be fair. He just needs to stop playing certain players.
Rashford is clearly not coming back from whatever hex the witch placed on him and Elanga has looked miles ahead.
Shaw absolutely cannot be arsed to defend, can't be arsed to press forward - just can't be arsed to show up. Telles has looked the better option for a while.
Maguire looks like a baby deer on roller skates with a sedan strapped to it's back while Lindelof and Varane are both visibly better right now.

We have better options but we still keep running out players that aren't up to the standards we should be demanding and I can't, for the life of me, figure it out without resorting to my own version of the Charlie Kelly conspiracy board.

clarkydaz

you saw that in his very first game at OT for 30 mins. The players are too dumb/lazy to do it, so you get oleball rest of the season

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I loved his response when he was asked about Elanga.

” Elanga shows what is possible in football if you have the right mentality and right approach to go into the game which he always shows in every training session as well.”

Shots fired on lot of United player to take inspiration from a youngster

arthurka

Would love to see what starting eleven some of you lot would have wanted him to start out there. Thought he started the best team available and Elanga isn't a starter yet but with Rashford looking more and more like Ali Dia than himself, it might soon change. Starting Lindelöf made sense both because of set plays and the possibility to change to a back three. Matic can't play 90 so he started what was available. The English group has well and truly downed their tools this season but we don't have any depth to keep them out.

Ralf did very well and the changes he made made all the difference. Well done to come away from a dire performance with a tie and a very good result away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.