Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What an utterly idiotic appointment that proved to be then, great start for Murtough and Fletcher.
Yeah. I am no longer emotionally invested, you could see this coming awhile off. However, the decision making behind bringing in someone like Rangnick then choosing to go in a completely different direction afterwards is questionable.

It would have been better to go for a pragmatist like Valverde instead of a systems coach. Hiring Ralf only made sense if our plan, long term, was to go in the gegenpressing direction.

A wasted six months for everyone involved. That's life I guess.

RORY65

Yeah. I am no longer emotionally invested, you could see this coming awhile off. However, the decision making behind bringing in someone like Rangnick then choosing to go in a completely different direction afterwards is questionable.

It would have been better to go for a pragmatist like Valverde instead of a systems coach. Hiring Ralf only made sense if our plan, long term, was to go in the gegenpressing direction.

He was probably the worst of the five options as an interim given he's coached 1 season in the top flight in the last decade and even when he had he didn't have a track record of success plus as someone with a very clear system he was never going to be able to implement it properly without a preseason. The only way of justifying his appointment even then was the role he could have moving forward but this has been coming for a while, his role for the next 2 years was so vague and it became clear over time that it was just a token gesture by the club to get him to take the interim role.

The United

Said that something like this would happen from the very beginning.

The upper management fecked up again by appointing someone who was out of depth for this club (everyone is, tbf).

The consequences were that we are out of CL and the club became a circus in public ( more than necessary) which can make recruiting and rebuilding the squad more difficult and a lot longer.

city-puma

Said that something like this would happen from the very beginning.

The upper management fecked up again by appointing someone who was out of depth for this club (everyone is, tbf).

The consequences were that we are out of CL and the club became a circus in public ( more than necessary) which can make recruiting and rebuilding the squad more difficult and a lot longer.
Very true. It’s a utmost failure. Mouthough has to take blame at least partially. I hope his leadership won’t make another big failure. He seems getting along with ETH well at the moment. Hope they form a great partnership to streamline all football operations starting from this summer.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Saw it coming weeks ago despite being told continuously in here that the reason he was brought in was all about his consultancy role.
Can you also tell me the lottery numbers since you're so good at gleaning unpredictable things from the future?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can you also tell me the lottery numbers since you're so good at gleaning unpredictable things from the future?
It was entirely predictable, not a 15million to 1 shot. Ten Hag's answers last week even hinted it.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't believe United hired Rangnick as a interim head coach to lay foundations. Erik ten Hag will be the one that will be tasked with that job. Rangnick's role was to simply coach/manage the first team squad until the end of the season and possibly achieve a top 4 finish. And then at the end of the season his consultancy role would come into effect for a couple of years. And Rangnick even mentioned in his first press conference that he sees himself as a manager because for 90% of his career he has been a manager/head coach.

I don't think anyone could've predicted Rangnick being a let down when it came to the man management side. He decided to air the dirty laundry in public, which was lapped up by the gullible fans and the end result was inevitable. The hope was that he could possibly get the ball rolling for ten Hag when it comes to implementing a compact high block with counter pressing capabilities. But sadly for us that never came close to being a reality for a period of time in the season.

Rangnick's formula to build the football side at Hoffenheim and Leipzig was to entice young hot prospects by giving them first team minutes earlier than at other clubs. And those young players would opt to join a Salzburg or Leipzig over a bigger club because they would be brought into the first team fold and given minutes to develop at a good level. So the model was to dangle the carrot of first team exposure, which helped the player as far as development goes, and helped the club to make a profit on their investment in the following seasons. So that method wouldn't really work at a big club. And I don't believe it's difficult to run the football side of the club, as long as everyone is pulling in the same direction from the board/DoF/head coach etc. But our issue has been that the managers post Fergie were afforded their own recruitment staff and streamlining all the football departments wasn't possible.

Our issue imo is that we've hired managers who craved the power to control recruitment. Louis Van Gaal wrote in his biography that he always craved the power that was given to managers in England. And when he got the job at United, his desire became a reality and our nightmare as supporters of the club was about to begin. Klopp at Liverpool was hired as the manager, but saw himself as the head coach, and selected a figurehead from within the existing structure at the club to lead the football departments. And that person he selected was Michael Edwards who became the Sporting director, and Edwards at the time was much ridiculed by the media and the Liverpool fans.

So the difference between what Klopp did and what Rodgers, Mourinho and Solskjaer didn't do, was that Klopp embraced the existing structure at Liverpool and the other three aforementioned names decided to utilise their own recruitment staff, which made the existing scouting structures at Liverpool/United a after thought. Klopp tweaked a large group of people working already at the club to benefit him and the whole club by aligning the whole process. Whilst the other three mangers went with their own recruitment staff and failed miserably. So the hope for us this around is that we've hired a head coach in Erik ten Hag who will work with our existing football structure.

And as far as ten Hag's man management skills are concerned, everything that I've read about him is very positive from his former players. And those players run themselves into the ground for him. And ten Hag himself will defend those players in front of the media no matter what, and will sort potential issues out in private, rather than give the media even more ammunition to target him and the club. And that's what's important for me as a fan of the club, to see the head coach not give anything away in press conferences and concentrate on coaching a idea on the training ground that will eventually manifest itself on match days.
Good post!

Ralph1386

It’s not a waste of time. It shows that there are many clowns in the world. It’s a failed appointment. That’s it. Hope it becomes a lesson the club can learn from it.
Then the last 9 years have been full of failed appointments. The ones who appointed him for a role he wasn't reknowned for should also bear the responsibility.

El Jefe

What a waste of 6 months, should have appointed proper manager instead of Rangnick.
While it was a mistake, I'm happy we've corrected the mistake by ending this nightmare here.

I look at the positives however, the 2021/22 season was a complete shitshow and the main culprits in Ole, Rangnick, Woodward are all gone. Add in the players finally leaving the club and there is hope of a new era finally beginning with ETH, Murtough and Arnold.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
While it was a mistake, I'm happy we've corrected the mistake by ending this nightmare here.

I look at the positives however, the 2021/22 season was a complete shitshow and the main culprits in Ole, Rangnick, Woodward are all gone. Add in the players finally leaving the club and there is hope of a new era finally beginning with ETH, Murtough and Arnold.
Yeah, hopefully we made the right decision.

Orange Tree

Changing staffs without changing the way they run the club would mean nothing.

New contracts for Rashford, Shaw and De Gea incoming.

tjb

I don't believe United hired Rangnick as a interim head coach to lay foundations. Erik ten Hag will be the one that will be tasked with that job. Rangnick's role was to simply coach/manage the first team squad until the end of the season and possibly achieve a top 4 finish. And then at the end of the season his consultancy role would come into effect for a couple of years. And Rangnick even mentioned in his first press conference that he sees himself as a manager because for 90% of his career he has been a manager/head coach.

I don't think anyone could've predicted Rangnick being a let down when it came to the man management side. He decided to air the dirty laundry in public, which was lapped up by the gullible fans and the end result was inevitable. The hope was that he could possibly get the ball rolling for ten Hag when it comes to implementing a compact high block with counter pressing capabilities. But sadly for us that never came close to being a reality for a period of time in the season.

Rangnick's formula to build the football side at Hoffenheim and Leipzig was to entice young hot prospects by giving them first team minutes earlier than at other clubs. And those young players would opt to join a Salzburg or Leipzig over a bigger club because they would be brought into the first team fold and given minutes to develop at a good level. So the model was to dangle the carrot of first team exposure, which helped the player as far as development goes, and helped the club to make a profit on their investment in the following seasons. So that method wouldn't really work at a big club. And I don't believe it's difficult to run the football side of the club, as long as everyone is pulling in the same direction from the board/DoF/head coach etc. But our issue has been that the managers post Fergie were afforded their own recruitment staff and streamlining all the football departments wasn't possible.

Our issue imo is that we've hired managers who craved the power to control recruitment. Louis Van Gaal wrote in his biography that he always craved the power that was given to managers in England. And when he got the job at United, his desire became a reality and our nightmare as supporters of the club was about to begin. Klopp at Liverpool was hired as the manager, but saw himself as the head coach, and selected a figurehead from within the existing structure at the club to lead the football departments. And that person he selected was Michael Edwards who became the Sporting director, and Edwards at the time was much ridiculed by the media and the Liverpool fans.

So the difference between what Klopp did and what Rodgers, Mourinho and Solskjaer didn't do, was that Klopp embraced the existing structure at Liverpool and the other three aforementioned names decided to utilise their own recruitment staff, which made the existing scouting structures at Liverpool/United a after thought. Klopp tweaked a large group of people working already at the club to benefit him and the whole club by aligning the whole process. Whilst the other three mangers went with their own recruitment staff and failed miserably. So the hope for us this around is that we've hired a head coach in Erik ten Hag who will work with our existing football structure.

And as far as ten Hag's man management skills are concerned, everything that I've read about him is very positive from his former players. And those players run themselves into the ground for him. And ten Hag himself will defend those players in front of the media no matter what, and will sort potential issues out in private, rather than give the media even more ammunition to target him and the club. And that's what's important for me as a fan of the club, to see the head coach not give anything away in press conferences and concentrate on coaching a idea on the training ground that will eventually manifest itself on match days.
To add to this, coaching wise, I don't think many United fans actually saw his Liepzig teams. They weren't like Liverpool or Chelsea. They barely ever held too much possession and were very highly based on a higher counter press. Essentially, almost the entire focus of those teams were to set up in a very compact form, win the ball back high up the pitch and create their chances from those turnovers. They were averaging 49.5% possession in the 2018/2019 season. This is a manager that already had issues at Schalke when he called it quits in 2011. His record there was terrible and he seemed to have similar issues as here. He then took a long break from management, came back in 2018-2019 and decided that he wanted to leave again. He doesn't seem to have had the energy for management in the first place. The season after under Naggelsman, they averaged 54% possession. This suggests that rather than just talent, their possession issues had to do with Rangnick and his style. United players were blamed for not adapting to what he wanted to do, but the real question is, what what he was trying to do actually going to be successful in the league? Could the players sense how poorly it was working ? Was Rangnick making an excuse for the failure of his tactic in England? What if the players were met with Moyes levels of incompetence from Rangnick tactically and criticized it. Let's call it for what it is, a lot of our attacking players had their forms drop off a cliff once Rangnick came in. They were not nearly as bad under Ole. The defence and defensive midfield were under Ole, but the reputations of our attackers and full backs took a complete nosedive under Rangnick, my conclusion is that his tactics did not fit attackers with any real quality. Imagine making Bruno's main goal in a game to recover the ball quickly when he has so much more to offer. People complained about ball movement under Ole, but that completely fell apart under Rangnick...why? Because as some of the articles are stating, we barely worked on that during training.

Rangnick wanted to come off as a manager that completely failed because of the players. Despite the fact that we have some toxic players, I don't think any other manager would have publicly struggled the way he did. I don't think he had the patience or mindset of a manager looking to united a dressing room. His previous tenures at other clubs reflect this. He's another manager that came here to create a tactical legacy and once he was found out to be one dimensional with a system that didn't work in England, he completely gave up. A part of me think ETH noticed this during their conversations. I don't think some of the players were the only toxic figures, I think Rangnick himself was a key contributor to it. He got lucky because our players were already under the spotlight for how a few of them downed tools under Ole ( which I think was heavily exaggerated). Our fans lapped it up because they needed a reason to understand why the team looked so poor. However, failing tactically, then coming out to say the team needs 10 new players and that everyone is rubbish except De Gea is not the way someone who is seeking to actually build a team would approach things. Even when he discussed the lack of physicality in our players, his Liepzig team was all physicality. If you watched them, you would understand why it didn't work and this would be the same at almost any top club he decided to work with. He essentially wanted the front 6 to all be like Drogba or Diego Costa. No team has that.

tjb

Very true. It’s a utmost failure. Mouthough has to take blame at least partially. I hope his leadership won’t make another big failure. He seems getting along with ETH well at the moment. Hope they form a great partnership to streamline all football operations starting from this summer.
I do think he had a plan. I think he wanted an experienced head coming in to weather the storm.

I don't think he knew Rangnick would create even more problems. I don't think he got along with ETH, I actually think he's leaving because of ETH. You can't come in and start fighting with players then expect to be in a position of power at the club.

tjb

Then the last 9 years have been full of failed appointments. The ones who appointed him for a role he wasn't reknowned for should also bear the responsibility.
I don't think Ole's appointment was a mistake. We should have just let him go a bit sooner ( which would have drawn the ire of the media, but would have put us in good stead). TBH it was probably for the best that it worked out the way it did. Woodward would have been the one making the appointment

city-puma

I do think he had a plan. I think he wanted an experienced head coming in to weather the storm.

I don't think he knew Rangnick would create even more problems. I don't think he got along with ETH, I actually think he's leaving because of ETH. You can't come in and start fighting with players then expect to be in a position of power at the club.
My apology for poor wording. “Him” I actually mean Mouthough in that context, not Ralf. All the shit Ralf threw out can’t have real positive effects. As ETH said, he talks with a lot of people and will draw the line himself. That’s of course the right way to analyze and solve the situation.

city-puma

I don't think Ole's appointment was a mistake. We should have just let him go a bit sooner ( which would have drawn the ire of the media, but would have put us in good stead). TBH it was probably for the best that it worked out the way it did. Woodward would have been the one making the appointment
I also think Ole is not a bad appointment. He is part of the culture reset we should have done earlier that we now re-establish a great youth pipeline. But, ole can’t get us over the finish line several times and it’s always the case more doubts are mounting about his managerial ceiling. This season, the club is in a transition, Mouthough was appointed as DOF in the spring last year but new CEO only started his role this Feb. What’s the real cause of the downhill run since young boys game are still a mystery to us. I am not sure if Ole won’t be able to take us to success eventually but one thing is clear that he can’t do it quickly enough even though he can. ETH is a good appointment because I prefer his philosophy. Starting this summer, the transition to the new footballing structure is completed. We have no reason not to be optimistic in future even though there are still bumping up and down ahead for sure.

tjb

I also think Ole is not a bad appointment. He is part of the culture reset we should have done earlier that we now re-establish a great youth pipeline. But, ole can’t get us over the finish line several times and it’s always the case more doubts are mounting about his managerial ceiling. This season, the club is in a transition, Mouthough was appointed as DOF in the spring last year but new CEO only started his role this Feb. What’s the real cause of the downhill run since young boys game are still a mystery to us. I am not sure if Ole won’t be able to take us to success eventually but one thing is clear that he can’t do it quickly enough even though he can. ETH is a good appointment because I prefer his philosophy. Starting this summer, the transition to the new footballing structure is completed. We have no reason not to be optimistic in future even though there are still bumping up and down ahead for sure.
I agree with you. I don't think Ole's culture reset was unsuccessful like many here do. I think it worked. However, I also think keeping the likes of Pogba, Lingard and Martial put it in jeopardy. The minute results started falling apart, with big figures like Ronaldo and Varane then coming in, I believe having those three proved toxic and created what would come after. I believe the media heavily exaggerated the players downing tools. We had seen poor form like this occur with Ole as manager. In addition, the poor performances really occurred for a month and a half, which is not a long time in football, especially when playing City and Liverpool within that period. I believe Rangnick coming in, trying to prove a point in his career without truly wanting to integrate with the team caused the toxicity after December. His tactics failed, he gave up and he started publicly blaming the players for it, which is why I think players starting leaking more to the press to counter that.

If we had sold Pogba in that 18/19 season, I actually believe Ole might have had a bit more success as manager here ( even though i never felt he was good enough here). Pogba barely featured under Ole, yet we always kept a spot for him within the first team. I believe this is why we stayed so long without ever fixing the midfield issues we had at the club.

stevoc

In a way I'm disappointed he won't be kept around as a consultant but it's been obvious for months his future role wasn't a sure thing. It was also obvious there was no real master plan behind his appointment beyond hiring an experienced coach and hoping he could right the ship and secure CL football, a task at which he failed miserably.

So with him effectively being sacked I think we can safely file the following:

"He's been brought into change our style of play"
"He's been brought into to assess the squad"
"He's obviously not here to be first team manager it's all about his future consultancy role, some people are just too thick see the bigger picture"
"He's here to compile dossiers and reports on the players to pass onto Ten Hag"
And probably a few more half baked theories as the speculative fan fictions that they were.

I think ultimately he became a bit of a toxic presence around the place and Ten Hag and the club probably felt he had to go if Erik had any chance of putting this broken squad back together.

Tavern in the town

In a way I'm disappointed he won't be kept around as a consultant but it's been obvious for months his future role wasn't a sure thing. It was also bvious there was no real master plan behind his appointment beyond hiring an experienced coach and hoping he could right the ship and secure CL football, a task at which he failed miserably.

"He's obviously not here to be first team manager it's all about his future consultancy role, some people are just too thick see the bigger picture"

And probably a few more half baked theories as the speculative fan fictions that they were.

I think ultimately he became a bit of a toxic presence around the place and Ten Hag and the club probably felt he had to go if Erik had any chance of putting this broken squad back together.
The conviction people used to make those statements with. As if we were the stupid ones for not seeing the club had some obvious master plan.

Sanchez7

We will never know re his consultancy. In my opinion, he will marginalised anyway as these clowns wouldn't want to hear from anyone who is openly criticising them and is a straight talker.
I posted the above in April because i knew they would get rid as soon as he started criticising the management publicly. I hope Ten Hag gets the support he needs but this club's management is rotten.

Ralf didn't help himself with his awfully poor management but he did have a proven record as a club builder.

The United

In a way I'm disappointed he won't be kept around as a consultant but it's been obvious for months his future role wasn't a sure thing. It was obvious there was no real master plan behind his appointment beyond hoping he could right the ship and secure CL football

The most ridiculous claim for me was how he was managing the squad (even though it is not his strength and therefore we should not worry about his performance there for the long-term gain) so that he could assess the squad first-hand.

I have not heard any decent DOF ever having to manage a squad to be good at what they are doing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As if no-one could see this coming. Biggest waste of space ever.. Has to be the worst ever signing for United.

Austria's a part-time role ffs.

The Rangnites must be gutted.

UncleBob

I posted the above in April because i knew they would get rid as soon as he started criticising the management publicly. I hope Ten Hag gets the support he needs but this club's management is rotten.

Ralf didn't help himself with his awfully poor management but he did have a proven record as a club builder.
:lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
In a way I'm disappointed he won't be kept around as a consultant but it's been obvious for months his future role wasn't a sure thing. It was also obvious there was no real master plan behind his appointment beyond hiring an experienced coach and hoping he could right the ship and secure CL football, a task at which he failed miserably.

Some classics there.

tjb

The most ridiculous claim for me was how he was managing the squad (even though it is not his strength and therefore we should not worry about his performance there for the long-term gain) so that he could assess the squad first-hand.

I have not heard any decent DOF ever having to manage a squad to be good at what they are doing.
It's funny how we have a DOF already too.

The issue is alot of our fans don't know what they are talking about in terms of club structure. They don't know what to look for and who does what.
It's the same reason why they always talk about Murtough and Fletcher together when their roles are very different. If we are looking for an Assistant DOF, clearly Fletcher isn't that.

It feels like anybody can say every negative thing about the club and our fans would lap it up as fact.

stevoc

The conviction people used to make those statements with. As if we were the stupid ones for not seeing the club had some obvious master plan.
We can't say it was everyone but there were several posters who regularly got nasty with anyone who wasn't drinking the kool-aid Rangnick was pissing out. I imagine they won't be posting about Ralf's masterplan again any time soon.

stevoc

Yeah as if the Glazers and United would write a season off and not worry about CL football just to allow a semi-retired manager who's never managed outside Germany to come and feck about for 6 months assessing a squad to pass files onto the next fulltime manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.