Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's scary to think that Fulham also experienced this same type of thing with Felix Magath, who had far more success that Rangnick.
So what you are saying a coach who won the double with Bayern twice isn't good enough to manage Fulham in England?

LVG was hired based on the football his teams played in the 90s, we did not hire him for his days at Bayern ( which actually looked a bit similar stylistically to what we did with him).
LvG had great first season. He laid the foundation of Bayern's possession based football and almost win the treble. He also introduced Müller, Badstuber and Alaba.

In his second season he fell out with the board, mainly Hoeneß. He took some very weird decisions like promoting Kraft to first goal keeper despite the board already hired Neuer for the next season.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Consider the quotes from the journalists that have given further insight the decision was clearly made from the club. ETH comments about Rangnick also was telling when questioned about his consultancy role. At the end of the day Ragnicks speciality is currently occupied by John Murtough, his influence therefore in a consultancy role was always going to be less substantial. The club should have hired a proper manager to attain top four football and come to some agreement to release the said individual after the season campaign was over.
In hindsight the appointment of Rangnick looks very weird.
If the only goal was really to secure a top 4 finishing at all cost and then hire a new manager for next season, why would you hire a care taker who is known to be one dimensional playing a high energy, pressing football that demands very high fitness levels and participation from all players.
Rangnick's appointment just doesn't make any sense.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So what you are saying a coach who won the double with Bayern twice isn't good enough to manage Fulham in England?

LvG had great first season. He laid the foundation of Bayern's possession based football and almost win the treble. He also introduced Müller, Badstuber and Alaba.

In his second season he fell out with the board, mainly Hoeneß. He took some very weird decisions like promoting Kraft to first goal keeper despite the board already hired Neuer for the next season.
No offence, but I could win the double with Bayern.

Himannv

He's been a complete failure. I think top 4 was very gettable and his teams kept dropping points even during games when we were clearly the better side. You could say the players didn't suit his style, but at times it's also down to decisions he made and the poor man-management to keep his players working together towards a common goal.

FlapR

Sam Allardyce would have been a better choice!

Jokes aside, it is really embarrassing we missed on Conte. He was practically begging to get hired by us. But no, we wanted Ralf, a nobody! Amazing decisions by this club.
Would rather Ralf for half a season then ETH than Conte.

miked99

Probably baffled that he had players who are willing to listen to and carry out instructions

Frank Grimes

Guy was a shite manager at Utd, that is one thing that is indisputable. I'm not having the players downed tools for him excuse either, a large part of a manager's remit is to motivate the team.

ShinjiNinja26

Just bollocks though isn't it? He's won one game, doesn't mean anything either way does it?
Might be a one off result, might not be but it’s still better than anything he done at Utd. Whether that was down to him or the players we’ll never know, what we do know is we have a bunch of shithouses in our squad that’s undeniable.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm going to go out on a whim here to defend him a bit, seeing as so many think he is just shite and some think Ole was better, as if it's fair to compare an interim stint with no backing to a cultural reset over three years with backing.

When he joined he said absolutely the right things, he tried to get the team to play a high intensity pressing game and it genuinely looked plausible that this could be done, somewhat (notwithstanding his pregnant joke), after seeing that for a third of his first match. He obviously ruffled a few feathers from the get go in terms of team selection, in what was already a poisonous dressing room. It was not on him, and he did not expect Carrick, McKenna and Pert to all leave, leaving him with a major headache of getting in good enough coaches in the short-term, guaranteeing that there be no feeling of continuity, just a substitute teacher vibe. He managed to make us tighter at the back and we consistently performed below our xG for a long while, which was 100% on the players being profligate. He at least got us creating chances, more chances than the opposition. I don't know the politics of the January window, but he clearly wanted options and got none, whether he signed off on Martial going on loan as he was a moody feck around the camp, I don't know. But he wasn't to know Greenwood would turn out a wrong'un and that Cavani would only be fit enough to play for his country. So he was pretty much left with Sancho, Elanga and Ronaldo, with Rashford on a hiatus from being a footballer (his form has been far too diabolical to be excused as needing an arm around the shoulder). Come Atletico, we played terribly in the away match but somehow fluked a draw, but as soon as we got knocked out of the CL there was clearly no appetite left, what with Pogba declaring the season dead, which shows his professionalism.

Rangnick went ballistic in the pressers, which obviously alienated the players further, but that made sure there would be no papering over cracks. The frailty of this team was exposed for all to see. On the eve of the game at Anfield he went no holds barred and laid down the gauntlet for the players to react, to show some backbone, and they had none.

If this had been about self-preservation and nothing more he'd have stroked their ego relentlessly to ensure top 4 and he might have achieved that and in the process we'd be looking at minor augmentation in the summer, as oppose to a rush to get to a clean slate.

It's really impossible to compare a manager given three years and 100s of millions in backing, versus an interim period when everything has gone to shit (much more so than when Ole joined, I mean 4-0, 5-0, 4-1). That being said, Ole declared "we're a fantastically run club" while Rangnick called it how it is. That difference is enormous, to Rangnick's credit.

stevoc

I'm going to go out on a whim here to defend him a bit, seeing as so many think he is just shite and some think Ole was better, as if it's fair to compare an interim stint with no backing to a cultural reset over three years with backing.

When he joined he said absolutely the right things, he tried to get the team to play a high intensity pressing game and it genuinely looked plausible that this could be done, somewhat (notwithstanding his pregnant joke), after seeing that for a third of his first match. He obviously ruffled a few feathers from the get go in terms of team selection, in what was already a poisonous dressing room. It was not on him, and he did not expect Carrick, McKenna and Pert to all leave, leaving him with a major headache of getting in good enough coaches in the short-term, guaranteeing that there be no feeling of continuity, just a substitute teacher vibe. He managed to make us tighter at the back and we consistently performed below our xG for a long while, which was 100% on the players being profligate. He at least got us creating chances, more chances than the opposition. I don't know the politics of the January window, but he clearly wanted options and got none, whether he signed off on Martial going on loan as he was a moody feck around the camp, I don't know. But he wasn't to know Greenwood would turn out a wrong'un and that Cavani would only be fit enough to play for his country. So he was pretty much left with Sancho, Elanga and Ronaldo, with Rashford on a hiatus from being a footballer (his form has been far too diabolical to be excused as needing an arm around the shoulder). Come Atletico, we played terribly in the away match but somehow fluked a draw, but as soon as we got knocked out of the CL there was clearly no appetite left, what with Pogba declaring the season dead, which shows his professionalism.

Rangnick went ballistic in the pressers, which obviously alienated the players further, but that made sure there would be no papering over cracks. The frailty of this team was exposed for all to see. On the eve of the game at Anfield he went no holds barred and laid down the gauntlet for the players to react, to show some backbone, and they had none.

If this had been about self-preservation and nothing more he'd have stroked their ego relentlessly to ensure top 4 and he might have achieved that and in the process we'd be looking at minor augmentation in the summer, as oppose to a rush to get to a clean slate.

It's really impossible to compare a manager given three years and 100s of millions in backing, versus an interim period when everything has gone to shit (much more so than when Ole joined, I mean 4-0, 5-0, 4-1). That being said, Ole declared "we're a fantastically run club" while Rangnick called it how it is. That difference is enormous, to Rangnick's credit.
:lol:

He's the hero we need but not the one we deserve.

WPMUFC

players that actually tried for longer that 45 mins? What is this madness?

i wonder how many posters were desperately hoping for an Austria loss :lol:

led_scholes

No offence, but I could win the double with Bayern.
Can you win Bundesliga with Hoffenheim too?

Magath maybe a dinosaur now, but he has been a successful coach, and for a club like Fulham it's worth the gamble. Like Greece did with Rehangel or Leicester with Ranieri.

MalaysianRed7

Delighted for him. With the caveat that Ten Hag wanted him to go, it is an absolute crime against football that he was made the scapegoat for last season. He told the truth to the fans.

At the end of the day, the guy who and Klopp and Tuchel bases their tactics on, built an entire football club to what they are now, managed Schalke of all clubs in a Champions League semi final only to be knocked out by Fergie and pioneered gegenpressing in the country most famed for it should be respected in the game. He will always have my respect and thanks for trying his best amidst a dressing room, in which the collective attitude was absolutely disgusting.

stevoc

Delighted for him. With the caveat that Ten Hag wanted him to go, it is an absolute crime against football that he was made the scapegoat for last season. He told the truth to the fans.

At the end of the day, the guy who and Klopp and Tuchel bases their tactics on, built an entire football club to what they are now, managed Schalke of all clubs in a Champions League semi final only to be knocked out by Fergie and pioneered gegenpressing in the country most famed for it should be respected in the game. He will always have my respect and thanks for trying his best amidst a dressing room, in which the collective attitude was absolutely disgusting.
I don't know that that's necessarily true but if it is it makes sense. Ten Hag has to pick up the pieces of the mess he's inherited from Rangnick (& Solskjaer) and try to put this squad back together. Having a man who has basically bacame a toxic presence like Rangnick still employed by the club and no doubt all too happy to give his opinion on anything United whenever asked in press conferences etc. probably wouldn't be helpful in that endevour.

Hoof the ball

Does everyone come back and say see I told you so if he loses the next one? He came, he saw, he did feck all and he's gone. Let's move on.
Would you be able to explain why, in six months at United, we didn't have one single game in which they pressed well for an entire match under Rangnick, and yet the Austrian national team did it in his first game excellently from minute one to minute ninety?

There's reasons he failed, and some will be his own to own, but we didn't play to instruction once in the way Austria did vs Croatia. When you note that, you have a huge explanation as to why he failed here.

Withnail

Would you be able to explain why, in six months at United, we didn't have one single game in which they pressed well for an entire match under Rangnick, and yet the Austrian national team did it in his first game excellently from minute one to minute ninety?

There's reasons he failed, and some will be his own to own, but we didn't play to instruction once in the way Austria did vs Croatia. When you note that, you have a huge explanation as to why he failed here.
Why would I explain anything? He was an interim, he did feck all and now he's gone. I literally don't care. We have a full time manager and there's been a lot of changes. Let's move on.

flappyjay

The feck it's been one match, when we win our 1st match of 22/23 will it be aha too.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

This, read this.

stevoc

You mean the Austrian national team that consists of players who mostly play in the German Bundesliga where pressing football is very popular and that was previously coached for the last 4 years by another German coach in Franco Foda who similarily to Rangnick employs a pressing style?

So Ralf can get a team to press if they're already used to playing that way.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He was the hero we needed but we dont need him anymore.

He has fought with everyone, I dont see anyone that has done such a thing publically for the world to see will be able to get away with it save for maybe SAF. The only option is to stop.

On a positive note ETH is ripping the rewards. I understand your sacrifices but youre not the correct person now, best of luck to you.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Whoops…

Go on Ralf!

Marko Arnautović, Austria forward: "The players were full of energy. Croatia are an excellent team, but we played a great match. We turned our chances to goals and deserved this win. We want to return to the top."

Croatia midfielder Lovro Majer: "This is a disappointment for all of us. It was a strange match: we looked good in the first half and then we conceded from a counterattack. We were positioned badly the whole match and when we lost the ball, they turned it into a goal."

But I thought he couldn't set up a team?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So the same people that refused to judge him after two-thirds of an appalling season at United are jerking off and proclaiming him as Messiah after just one international game with Austria.

Wow, the Rangnite cult really is a thing, ffs. :lol:

It's pretty clear who rates him and who doesn't but he's at Austria now and we have ten Hag so who really gives a feck anymore. Thread just needs to be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.