Ralf Rangnick's consultancy role has been scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It was all about job security for RR. He had a contact over in Russia until 2024 and he didn’t want to give that up for a six month stint with us. The two year consultancy aspect was factored into the negotiations as we had no intention of keeping him on as manager until 2024.

United never wanted him as a consultant. That much is obvious.
Why would they go to the extent of publically announcing his role 6 months ago if they didn't want him as a consultant?

mu4c_20le

That's sort of the point though. We shouldn't just be following ETH's vision of what needs to happen. The club (i.e. Murtough) should have their own clear and high-level vision of what our football and recruitment structures should look like, with the manager fitting into a role within that. If we still end up leaning on the manager to provide the vision for the club then nothing has changed.

Taking Liverpool as an example, they had their own ideas of the correct way to organise the football side of the club to a high level before Klopp ever set foot in the club. They didn't look for him to provide that vision.
Yeah I hear you, but we need to carve out an identity first, otherwise it's just words. I actually thought Liverpool were even bigger clowns at the time, anyways making the wrong signings and managerial appointments until they won the lottery. And then they just supported him. Ironically if ETH succeeds then we may have finally found the kind the manager he was looking for, right after he left.

Robbie Boy

I think Ralf cult truly existing based on some keep saying the delusion and imagination as if they are facts.
It's a very fecking small 'cult' mate. I can think up maybe 3 posters who seemed overly defensive about Ralf. Meanwhile, we still have a relatively large portion who are still beating the Ole drum 6-months later. As I said, the only argument is which one was worse.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why is ETH name dragged into this? He is first team coach, Rangnick role was to work with Murtough. Don't think ETH would be deciding which role should be retained. Maybe Rangnick didn't like limited role and just wanted to scrap it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Consultancy role was always going to be a bit stupid IMO. Ten Hag is the coach and should have authority on decisions. And if you wanna 'advise' the club, then apply for DoF or something like that.
It should never have been a consultancy but a much more meaningful role at executive level. We have a useless board and someone like Rangnick should have replaced or assisted in the higher decision making functions of running a football club.

ETH should have the main say on footballing matters but you need many intelligent football people in the management structure who help run the club well and get into things the manager doesn't have time for.

This was a complete waste of time. No continuity, no overarching plan. Can only hope ETH turns out to be an elite manager

LazyGoal

As I said in January, should have been out the door then. Either you prove that you know what youre talking about when youre hired as interim, or go somewhere else.

When he went for this 4-2-2-2 with Ronaldo on top, he was done for me. You really have to be a bit stupid to do that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why is ETH name dragged into this? He is first team coach, Rangnick role was to work with Murtough. Don't think ETH would be deciding which role should be retained. Maybe Rangnick didn't like limited role and just wanted to scrap it.
Yeah I think it's more that the club doesn't want the "revolution" Ralf saying we need.

jesperjaap

Not that surprised by this after Ten Hags press conference.

He showed how single minded he was by pretty much saying I will have a talk to him and what he has to say but I have my own way. Was kind of astonishing it took them so long to talk....if they actually did at all.

It does make the appointment of Ragnick one of the worst we have made. I was looking forward to his work as a consultant, I always thought he spoke with intelligence and very much the truth. He called out this squad an dthe dressing room and the clubs recent work as a whole, and agreed with the cast majority of what he said.....but he was a poor manager of them all the same.

Not sure if I have admiration or concern for Ten Hag probably being the one to severe ties from the outset with the possible future role. On the one hand it shows his single mindedness and vision and decision to make his own mind up about the squad and way forward, ruthlessness. On the other, surely the opinions of an intelligent man who managed this dressing room was invaluable let alone what he could offer to a consultancy role.

Short term my main fear is actually this summer, that Ten Hag only sees the club needing 2/3 big signings and that he can turn the majority of this group of players into title challengers as they finished second just a season ago. I think a lot of us now, would believe a lot of these players simply arent intelligent, talented, hard working or mentally able to do that...and Ten Hag is in for a tough first season here

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
In last press conference, ETH response was bit odd when he was asked about Rangnick. Rangnick just a few weeks back was mentioning how he was looking forward to this job. So something has changed obviously

Its either the players or ETH. I would like to think its ETH because if it is player ( which it could be considering its us) then next year they will bin ETH as well

Dannn411

Thank goodness. The guy is a charlatan. Made an already bad team even worse with his cluelessness in management. Just used us for leverage of his personal career. Will probably fail at the Austria job too. Good riddance.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Rangnick probably didn't want to move for a 6-month job, hence the follow-on consultancy role. However, he has another permanent job now, so he doesn't need to stay.

He'll have done his handover to Ten Hag. The important information has been passed on.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
In no way is this surprising. He has basically come in and said the whole place and squad is a mess and needs an overhall.
The management where never going to want to hear that.

roonster09

Scout
In last press conference, ETH response was bit odd when he was asked about Rangnick. Rangnick just a few weeks back was mentioning how he was looking forward to this job. So something has changed obviously

Its either the players or ETH. I would like to think its ETH because if it is player ( which it could be considering its us) then next year they will bin ETH as well
ETH said it's up to the club and that's the reality. Manager has no say in deciding the position of consultant. I see it more as ETH said as it is, without sugarcoating it, or being diplomatic.

Rangnick was consultant on recruitment and setting up club structure, so he was working with Murtough, nothing to do with ETH or players.

Maybe Rangnick thought he would be playing bigger role in recruitment and disappointed to play small role, he is control freak as per reports, so maybe he didn't want this small role

Loon

:lol:
Seems from the outside like a complete waste of time having him, but I’m sure he’s delivered enough info by now as well as irretrievably burning a number of bridges in his time which likely made his stay impossible. Hopefully something useful will come of it in the long term.

Hope he fairs better with Austria.

Last edited:

bugmat

If we werent taking Ralf on as a consultant (imaginary role but as a Director is where he's useful) or using his resources as a director in transfers, the last 6 months have been a waste of wages & time for all involved. We could've hired a better interim from the UK who knew the league and still gotten EtH in the mean time.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Hope this doesn't mean ETH will have to spend next 2 years assessing the same underwhelming players...
I don't think he will. I believe he's watched our games and has a formed a pretty good idea in which positions we need to reinforce and which players from the current squad will be able to pull their weight in order for his style of football to work. We don't know, of course, whether the new signings will bed in right away or how well our current crop will respond to his instructions. It might take a season to sort things out, but it will not be assessing so much, as it will be reevaluating what he thinks about the team, both ability & character wise. That's probably why he mentioned that he will be the one who will be drawing the line. Let's hope that they will let him.

I feel we've done a dirty on him, obviously someone up top didn't like how vocal he was about the problems at the club. This scrapping decision makes us look worse.
He was a good man who had no power at the club and who clearly wasn't a coach. Consultancy/structual advisor would have been perfect for him.

This club is working day by day with no future vision it's obvious to see, last week it was 6 days a month, now nothing. I hope this BS ends soon.
I liked him when he first came to OT, but he's been the architect of his own demise. If he had just focused on the structural changes that need to be done, more people would have had a better opinion of him. I remember that during his first interviews he was saying things that actually make a lot of sense: That we should not rely on just one person (the manager) to solve everything, but we must surround him with knowledgable professionals and proper task delegation, so that the manager will be able to focus solely on first-team tactics. That there's a dire need to modernize the club in almost every aspect. That responsibilities like long-term vision and an overarching ethos are on the club, and that we should not expect the manager to provide these things for us.

We didn't do a dirty on him. He wanted the consultancy job more than anything. The club, after Carrick announced his departure, needed an interim manager for 6 months, probably because they didn't want Conte and they were already warming to the idea of "Poch or someone else" in the summer. I think that the club were willing to take a calculated risk when they didn't go for Conte. From that point onward, neither the club nor Rangnick expected things to go so bad for us. It was then that he entered a self-preservation mode. Don't forget that in his first presser, he described the squad as lacking in certain areas, but definitely better than the one Klopp inherited at Liverpool. From that, he ended up saying that we need a new starting-xi. I'm not saying that he's lying, the truth is always somewhere in the middle. But he also knew that the atrocious performances would tarnish any credentials he had. Unfortunately, that's how it goes.

I still remember that they were people advocating, during the couple of times Solskjaer flirted with a sacking, that we should actually promote him to a DoF role because he knows the club or whatever. I kept saying back then that it's not possible, simply because you can't have the new man taking orders and answering to his predecessor who had previously failed at the same job. It's ridiculous, and i'm afraid the same thing goes for Rangnick. Any United fan out there can say in public that we need to burn the house down and start all over again, and they can do it for free. That's not what a consultancy is about. And Rangnick went too far to protect his own reputation. ETH may find himself agreeing with some of Rangnick's assessments, we don't know how things will pan out. But he won't start his tenure with rumours that he's heeding the advice of the person that failed to implement anything, but threw everyone under the bus instead. It just wasn't possible.

city-puma

If I was Mouthough or Arnold, I have already decided it after the lose to Arsenal. The last game against Crystal palace, Ralf tried to let us play Ole’s system but put Fred again on right. It’s in front of ETH witnessing how disjointed the whole unit looks like. How can one rely on Ralf’s opinion so much?!

pratyush_utd

ETH said it's up to the club and that's the reality. Manager has no say in deciding the position of consultant. I see it more as ETH said as it is, without sugarcoating it, or being diplomatic.

Rangnick was consultant on recruitment and setting up club structure, so he was working with Murtough, nothing to do with ETH or players.

Maybe Rangnick thought he would be playing bigger role in recruitment and disappointed to play small role, he is control freak as per reports, so maybe he didn't want this small role
If it was 6 months down the line then yeah i would also believe it’s because of the role but to let him go right now? After the hit pieces in media for last few weeks most likely leaked by players? In my opinion it looks like that players had a bigger role in his removal. ETH may have had no choice seeing the dressing room condition and knowing that he cant bin everyone right now

Maticmaker

In no way is this surprising. He has basically come in and said the whole place and squad is a mess and needs an overhall.
The management where never going to want to hear that.
Possibly its what Murtough brought Ralf into do, to give the Glazers the bad news, its Murtough's way of 'managing upwards'... 'but of course it didn't come from him'... classic 'consultancy poisoning'.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The most worrying sign is that Rangnick seems the only person who insist we should change everything and do a overhaul. The club seems disagree, after publicly announce we will look for evolution rather than revolution (only need minimal changes). Ten Hag also says he believes this group of players as they finished 2nd not long ago. That might not be a good sign, which means we are not going to spend much, and will rely mostly on the same group of players who are mostly toxic pile of shite.

R'hllor

Putting some absolute desperate melons a side in this thread, not sure people understand why some might see this as an issue.

If there are some concerns, those have nothing to do with RR or his failed interim tenure, you could have a rock instead of him and still this development could be a sign of things running the same way as before. Also trying to drag ETH in this is a bit weird, dunno why RR would be an obsticle to his ways and ideas.

Again they came out like they have a plan, waste everyone`s time and the main point of this appointment being scrapped few months later, or maybe they couldnt handle his truth, so better cut ties and go back to their ways, then again we are not really a football club so everything is possible.

roonster09

Scout
If it was 6 months down the line then yeah i would also believe it’s because of the role but to let him go right now? After the hit pieces in media for last few weeks most likely leaked by players? In my opinion it looks like that players had a bigger role in his removal. ETH may have had no choice seeing the dressing room condition and knowing that he cant bin everyone right now
So are we going to blame players for everything now?

Club is working on transfers right now, so he would know how important his role is now. There are many reports that Rangnick was control freak and his consultant role gives him 0 power.

Anyways its all speculation, at this point there is no rumor on why. All we have is, he wanted more time to concentrate on his role for Austria.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The most likely reason that I'm going to hope is the case, is that Ten Hag just wasn't in love with the idea. It's not exactly a clearly defined role, and from listening to that McClaren podcast, Ten Hag is a control freak type who wants every role to be clearly defined and necessary, and he wants a say in it. He probably just saw it as "what's the point" so said it wasn't necessary. A lot of the talk when he mentioned it he didn't seem in love with it. So that's what I'd hope for and what I'll just pin myself to.

R'hllor

It's a very fecking small 'cult' mate. I can think up maybe 3 posters who seemed overly defensive about Ralf. Meanwhile, we still have a relatively large portion who are still beating the Ole drum 6-months later. As I said, the only argument is which one was worse.
fecking linatics, last ditch attempt now is throwing word cult at anyone calling out what happened last 3 years while thinking RR is a shit interim, thats not how worship mentality works.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
“Consultancy role” sounded fake in the beginning. Turns out it was.

everything the glazer stooges do is pretending to do work and trying to look competent

UpWithRivers

Well the point is that it is not about making the players feel better - many of them could be gone regardless of this decision - it is to show that the man in charge is Ten Hag and not Rangnick.

It's not like Ten Hag hasn't seen us play this season or hasn't researched the players at the club. The season won't be forgotten just because Rangnick isn't around.
How much of a small man is Ten Haag that he has to sack the previous manager to make it clear he is the big boss in town. This point is just ridiculous

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Putting some absolute desperate melons a side in this thread, not sure people understand why some might see this as an issue.

If there are some concerns, those have nothing to do with RR or his failed interim tenure, you could have a rock instead of him and still this development could be a sign of things running the same way as before. Also trying to drag ETH in this is a bit weird, dunno why RR would be an obsticle to his ways and ideas.

Again they came out like they have a plan, waste everyone`s time and the main point of this appointment being scrapped few months later, or maybe they couldnt handle his truth, so better cut ties and go back to their ways, then again we are not really a football club so everything is possible.
It was never the 'main point' of his appointment. Why do people keep saying this?

tjb

I think no one has a hard on for him? Ralf was a bad interim manager. But he has always been excellent at building up clubs behind the scenes. It's that part a lot of fans where looking forward to.
Now that is not happening, effectively meaning that the past 6 month where a waste.
He was excellent at building up RB Liepzig. A club without the media presence of United. He could react like this and noone would care how direct and wooden his approach was. This is United. You can't fail like this at a big club and expect people to clap for you

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Here we go again. Worst run club on the planet.

What's the excuse for not getting Conte now??

I thought the reason we went for Rangnick over Conte was because the club had this grand vision to become a more modern institution with a team playing progressive football.
Rangnick was to move to a consultancy role and be replaced by a manager with the same footballing ideas as him.

What a load of bollocks!!!
The club wanted an interim as a placeholder until ETH was ready at the end of the season.
No way in heck Conte wanted the job just to placehold for someone else.
My guess is that even Ralf didn't want just 6 months (especially since he had to leave his old job) so they tacked on the 2 years consultancy role as a sweetner.
Guessing ETH and the powers that be at club weren't too keen after the way the 6 months had gone.
The truth is anyone's guess but this is my theory.

Teja

Yeah I hear you, but we need to carve out an identity first, otherwise it's just words. I actually thought Liverpool were even bigger clowns at the time, anyways making the wrong signings and managerial appointments until they won the lottery. And then they just supported him. Ironically if ETH succeeds then we may have finally found the kind the manager he was looking for, right after he left.
Nah the Liverpool structure after FSG took over was solid. They didn't chance upon klopp, they found him (and backed him) after a very careful evaluation process.

Even signings like VVD, Mane, Salah etc weren't because of Klopp

pratyush_utd

So are we going to blame players for everything now?

Club is working on transfers right now, so he would know how important his role is now. There are many reports that Rangnick was control freak and his consultant role gives him 0 power.

Anyways its all speculation, at this point there is no rumor on why. All we have is, he wanted more time to concentrate on his role for Austria.
Its just what looks more likely to me. Hit piece in every major news outlet and his removal after Rangnick himself mentioned he is looking forward to it and had discussions about his role.

If you think player power didnt play a role here then fair enough. But i think it did. And the last thing i will believe is British journalist at the moment considering from where they get their news from

Status
Not open for further replies.