Rangnick for next season or Poch in the summer?

Manager choice:Rangnick for another season or pickup a Poch in the summer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DSG

Potter
Lage
Rodgers
Hassenhutl
Bielsa
Smith
Okay. That’s a joke. The last three are hilarious. You could make an argument for Potter and maybe Rodgers. Personally, I rate Poch above those two — what’s Potter ever done? Rodgers has shown an uncanny ability to lose the big matches. Poch is much, much more accomplished than either of them.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Why has this thread reduced the options to only two managers?
Nobody want to entertain the idea of Brendon and Luis Enrique most likely wont come in world cup year. These are the options which are being mentioned in the media.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He really didn't though. Koeman did better with that Southampton squad after Poch left and Spurs were already knocking on the door of the top 4 before he got the job and he had the good fortune to have a generational talent leading the line. Contrary to the narrative his PR people love to puff out he spent 300M quid at Spurs and only had one window without signings and yet he is constantly hyped up for seemingly building a brilliant team from nothing.
Bizarre revisionism. But hey, one never stops learning, I'm finding out a lot of people really do not like Pochettino at all and go to great lengths to express that :lol:

arthurka

I would have Ralf rather than Poch.
ETH would be my preference but if not then Ralf.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Given half of the forum wanted to keep Ole on for years and the other half desperately wanted Poch, I'd much rather do the opposite of whatever the general consensus is.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If anyone's confused, this is not because most people do not prefer ETH or someone else. It's just hypothetical, if that were the choice, for whatever reason.

Personally, I'd prefer ten Hag with Rangnick becoming a bona fide DoF, or Luis Enrique after the World Cup. And I quite like Potter too. But if it were a choice between continuing with Rangnick or going with Poch, I'm squarely in the Rangnick camp. I just wanted to take the temperature here.

Abraxas

I think you have to say that if RR steadies the ship and achieves a good result this season then there wouldn't be much between them.

People would bring up the Ole thing of appointing a caretaker coach but I believe the difference is that RR and Poch have relatively similar credentials.

Neither has won a lot, both are more known for their coaching then tangible results for a top club (maybe this has some capacity to change for Poch at PSG).

My strong preference would be to stick to the actual plan though. Appoint the best man after an extensive process.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You guys are actually out of your fecking minds if you think Ralf Rangnick is a better choice for Manchester United manager than Mauricio Pochettino.

I believe this is a prime example for the "Hypernormalization" thread. It shouldn't be normal for you to want Rangnick to manage your club. You should realize how fecking insane that is.

Ace Krampus

Find it slightly weird people suddenly want an interim to stay on for another year? Before we've really seen much positive in what's been done so far?

Surely Manchester United can find a quality manager in less than 18months?!
Or do we think there's some amazing manager out there that we've targeted, Pep/Man City style and we're awaiting his contract running down!?
Maybe, maybe not. I think if Pochettino comes aboard that's a multi-year commitment, so if the binary is making a longer commitment to Pochettino and you don't really think he's the guy, or punting on the year and letting Ralf run the show while you find a better option, I see the wisdom & logic there.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If it's only a two way choice I rather stick with Ralf, as much as I respect poch I think he's damaged goods, the ship has sailed if we wanted him we should have gotten him immediately after Tottenham not now.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You guys are actually out of your fecking minds if you think Ralf Rangnick is a better choice for Manchester United manager than Mauricio Pochettino.

I believe this is a prime example for the "Hypernormalization" thread. It shouldn't be normal for you to want Rangnick to manage your club. You should realize how fecking insane that is.
You really seem to dislike Rangnick, may I ask why? Is there a particular reason for that?

Momochiru

From the list of managers that are under consideration, I would only take ten Hag. If he is not available, than I's rather keep RR for another season until someone like ten Hag or better becomes available.

I never rated Poch, I don't like his style and if we get him we will be stuck forever with a manager who's only ambition is to get top 4 and please the board.

Last edited:

Caesar2290

Not really...Ten Haag has to talk like that...Ajax are complete favourites for that league every season and have a financial weight their closest rivals could only dream of. Poch was managing spurs. If Ten Haag was managing Spurs what do you think he would be saying?
Who knows? Conte for example isn't just content to win Top4. He wants more. I imagine ETH would have been in the same boat. One thing I am certain of, if he can get a tune out of Tadic and Haller in the CL of all the places, he would have definitely won a major trophy with that Spurs side Poch had at his disposal.

On the topic of it's all talk: Ole also said he is here to win trophies, he wants to play attacking football, that we are going to be the fittest team in the league. etc. The difference is, backing that talk. ETH can babble all he wants about winning and playing the Ajax way, but unlike our previous manager he backs his talk with results.

Caesar2290

Bizarre revisionism. But hey, one never stops learning, I'm finding out a lot of people really do not like Pochettino at all and go to great lengths to express that :lol:
Why is it revisionism? Soton had a very good side and unlike their current iteration, they would at least replace the players they sold. Poch had some really good players at his disposal. Personally I think Ralph Hassenhutl(I just can't spell his name) is doing a better job with a shoestring budget and constantly losing his players.

NoPace

There is no managers better than Pep or Klopp.

Does that mean we should not try get a manager that can compete? Shall we just shut up shop until they leave or another manager of their calibre is around?
There probably are 1 or 2 because these things move in cycles, but no idea who they are.

NoPace

Why is it revisionism? Soton had a very good side and unlike their current iteration, they would at least replace the players they sold. Poch had some really good players at his disposal. Personally I think Ralph Hassenhutl(I just can't spell his name) is doing a better job with a shoestring budget and constantly losing his players.
Hassenhuttl is doing a good job. They're gonna stay up with little production from their attacking mids/wingers and keeper problems. If they had a regular Prem manager just throwing out a 4-3-3 I think they'd be in real trouble this season.

Caesar2290

Hassenhuttl is doing a good job. They're gonna stay up with little production from their attacking mids/wingers and keeper problems. If they had a regular Prem manager just throwing out a 4-3-3 I think they'd be in real trouble this season.
Exactly my point. One of the things that surprised me about him this season, is how he finally prioritized defensive solidity. They actually look compact at the back, especially against top sides. I think that was one of the reason Ralf moved him on at Leipzig.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You really seem to dislike Rangnick, may I ask why? Is there a particular reason for that?
It's not so much that I dislike him (yeah I find his personality obnoxious with his bland, repetitive and humour-free self-promotion and lecturing, and I'm fairly certain players won't feel much different), it's also not that I think he's a horrible manager, he's clearly not. He's had a long and consistent career of delivering success within certain environment and within certain parameters. His teams are organized, concede little, edge out wins.

Just not, really not, not at all, at the level of Manchester United.

Why have you even entertained the thought? For one, because he's been riding the international coat-tails of those German managers doing well in the PL (ironically on the narrative of having spawned them), and then because Man United fans have the (understandable) feeling their club is run poorly and Rangnick is, above all, known for methodic club building.
But the conclusion, the synthesis is wrong. He's not as good a manager at top level as Klopp or Tuchel, and your club, in what way ever it's run poorly, is still not in need of a Rangnick make-over nor is it ready to grant him the authority for one. He just doesn't have the experience at the level, and he hasn't the personality to lead a team full of international stars. And his football is anything but revolutionary at this point.

Ok, you made him interim manager now, what's done is done. For what it's worth I think he will do a decent job until summer, get decent results, some rational decision already made in January. As I said he's a good manager. But that should be it. Get a manager with a higher ceiling in then.

As for the hypernormalization, just think back a decade, to one of the most one-sided CL semifinals ever, when you thrashed a Schalke that had no business being there, despite some super-hero goalkeeping performance by Neuer. Back then, just imagine any of you had gone "You know the guy who manages that random German team we just brushed past? That's the guy I really see as getting our club back to glory in the future!" ...

Tarrou

looking back it would've been better if we could've kept Ole on a short-term deal until a great choice became available

similarly when Giggs was interim after Moyes left, just keep him there until a big name (maybe Klopp) is available then make the change

I feel like we're in that sort of position now - we should keep Ralph until a great manager is available, then make the switch

I think Poch is a good manager, but not sure if he's a great one so I'd rather wait

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's not so much that I dislike him (yeah I find his personality obnoxious with his bland, repetitive and humour-free self-promotion and lecturing, and I'm fairly certain players won't feel much different), it's also not that I think he's a horrible manager, he's clearly not. He's had a long and consistent career of delivering success within certain environment and within certain parameters. His teams are organized, concede little, edge out wins.

Why have you even entertained the thought? For one, because he's been riding the international coat-tails of those German managers doing well in the PL (ironically on the narrative of having spawned them), and then because Man United fans have the (understandable) feeling their club is run poorly and Rangnick is, above all, known for methodic club building.
But the conclusion, the synthesis is wrong. He's not as good a manager at top level as Klopp or Tuchel, and your club, in what way ever it's run poorly, is still not in need of a Rangnick make-over nor is it ready to grant him the authority for one. He just doesn't have the experience at the level, and he hasn't the personality to lead a team full of international stars. And his football is anything but revolutionary at this point.

Ok, you made him interim manager now, what's done is done. For what it's worth I think he will do a decent job until summer, get decent results, some rational decision already made in January. As I said he's a good manager. But that should be it. Get a manager with a higher ceiling in then.

As for the hypernormalization, just think back a decade, to the most one-sided CL semifinal ever, when you thrashed a Schalke that had no business being there, despite some super-hero goalkeeping performance by Neuer. Back then, just imagine any of you had gone "You know the guy who manages that random German team we just brushed past? That's the guy I really see as getting our club back to glory in the future!" ...
Fair enough but in the end we brought him in as a stop gap and to eventually move him upstairs and looking at his resume I'll think that's not a very bad choice all things considered.

Also holding that ucl semi against him is a tad unfair considering he already overachived getting them there in the first place.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Fair enough but in the end we brought him in as a stop gap and to eventually move him upstairs and looking at his resume I'll think that's not a very bad choice all things considered.

Also holding that ucl semi against him is a tad unfair considering he already overachived getting them there in the first place.
He didn't though, really. Magath got them to the quarters but was sacked, bizarrely, at that point. (that's Schalke for you..) Rangnick took them only past Inter, fair enough.
The Cup that Rangnick won with Schalke that season too, Magath had already taken the club to the final. The only trophy Rangnick has ever won.

Last edited:

redmanx

If that is the binary choice I take RR every time. I don't rate Poch that highly and think there are half a dozen managers in the PL better than him right now outside of the clubs in the top 6.
Poch has had very little in the way of winning trophies in his managerial career, Ive never seen why he is so highly rated by some people.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

As for the hypernormalization, just think back a decade, to one of the most one-sided CL semifinals ever, when you thrashed a Schalke that had no business being there, despite some super-hero goalkeeping performance by Neuer. Back then, just imagine any of you had gone "You know the guy who manages that random German team we just brushed past? That's the guy I really see as getting our club back to glory in the future!" ...
That's a straw-man. Who is saying that?

Also, that flawed logic can also be applied to almost any manager. Again, I don't think anyone is saying Rangnick is going to restore this club to its previous glory (or any other manager for that matter), but that he lost to United with that Schalke side is supposed to be evidence for it meriting the description of hypernormalisation that people are (relatively speaking here) happy with how he's getting on here...I think your anti-Rangnick stance has blinkered your perspective.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don’t hate Poch, nor do I bum ETH like some here but I would be intrigued to see what Ralf could do given some transfer funds and a whole season.
I’d be even more intrigued to see what ralf can change in the club by working upstairs.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He didn't though, really. Magath got them to the quarters but was sacked, bizarrely, at that point. (that's Schalke for you..) Rangnick took them only past Inter, fair enough.
The Cup that Rangnick won with Schalke that season too, Magath had already taken the club to the final. The only trophy Rangnick has ever won.
Oh I almost forgot that but again we've mostly gotten him for the club building part so we'll find out how that works out soon enough.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don't understand why no one wants Poch.

I think he's clearly the best choice for us right now.
I think because everyone’s going of his time at psg… everyone was raving about him when he was at spurs and wanted him straight away. Poch wouldn’t be my first choice but he certainly wouldn’t be my last and I would happily welcome him here.

Crick

Rangnick. If we can't get Ten Hag or Potter I wouldn't mind giving Rangnick a summer with free reign and money to spend to see who he gets. Plus Enrique will be available in 2023.

Crashoutcassius

Based on the fact that the first x games under Ralf have been magnitudes worse than the first x games under ole, with a far far better squad, I'd take poch if the option is one or the other

I know I know, it's impossible for Ralf to get the team to play with the world's best ever striker or with Fred on the team coach or varane missing 3 games etc.

Tbh the question is at the time of writing - he has plenty of time to turn it around