Rangnick for next season or Poch in the summer?

Manager choice:Rangnick for another season or pickup a Poch in the summer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saivet

If these were the only two options, I'd go with Poch. Doesn't feel like either is a great choice but given the limited time we've had of Rangnick, I've not been all that impressed. He talks a good game but I'm yet to see anything that would make me want him to stay around as a coach for any longer than the summer.

From my limited view of RR, he is better in the boardroom than as head coach.

I don't think Poch's 12 months in PSG have been all that good but I think his work at Spurs and the difficult nature of working at PSG means I'd be inclined to not be so harsh and give him the job.

Gandalf

Find it slightly weird people suddenly want an interim to stay on for another year? Before we've really seen much positive in what's been done so far?

Surely Manchester United can find a quality manager in less than 18months?!
Or do we think there's some amazing manager out there that we've targeted, Pep/Man City style and we're awaiting his contract running down!?
To be fair it was in answer to a straight either/or question so in my case I would rather another year of RR if the alternative is Poch. If I could have my pick of managers I can think of a few realistic options I would go for over RR and I imagine many of the others in this thread feel the same way.

Smores

Far too early to make the call. I have no idea how Ralf or the team will perform next week never mind next month. He says the right things in the right manner though.

I don't rate Poch so i guess the unknown is better.

wolvored

As I said before, he wasnt backed with a transfer in and the fact the board have said they are keeping the money for the new manager, points to it not being RR. If I was to bet, I would bet on Pocc being rank favourite for the job

MyBloodIsRed

I don’t want Poch anywhere near United.

RR for me if we don’t go with ETH!

SATA

A good and proper manager, so it’s Poch for me. I can understand the resistance for Rodgers, but not wanting Poch in is a baffling choice

NewYorkRed

Poch. Easy. Even if ETH agrees to come I’d prefer Poch. Think he’ll be brilliant at United.

Artimities

I imagine Poch being signed as soon as the season is over. That will give United ample time to get all the pieces back together again. The loan outs will come back, and the puzzle can begin to be put together.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Depends on results. I don't see Pochettino as a coach who can beat Klopp or Pep over 38 games though. So, if we have a strong second half of the season, I'd be okay with Rangnick continuing.

Gandalf

I imagine Poch being signed as soon as the season is over. That will give United ample time to get all the pieces back together again. The loan outs will come back, and the puzzle can begin to be put together.
I can imagine him being signed sooner than that even if it is a pre contract. The relationship with PSG seems pretty terminal and I would guess an early exit from the knockout phase of the CL would be the final straw. I know some think PSG will hang on to the summer to get compensation for him leaving but considering they blew off 180M for Mbappe knowing he was going to walk on a free I cannot imagine they will worry about money where Poch is concerned.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Not bothered about Poch.

Not bothered about Rangnick so far either.

Someone new. Ten Haag maybe, or Potter.

USREDEVIL

So this assumes no ETH as he either rejected us or took a different club.

Alright with that horrible scenario i'm not sure. Toughy. I'd probably be happier letting Poch have a go. If he does poorly then we can slot Ralf back in. We'd finally get the whole Poch thing out of our system, and let's face it, we're used to this merrry-go-round by now.

Caesar2290

Poch for the tears on the forum

How dare we hire a manager who has exceeded all expectations with two lesser clubs in the same division!
He was expected to finish Top4, he finished Top4 with Spurs every time. If you ask me that's called meeting expectation.

Also look at the squad he had at Southampton. He had a lot of very good players in his ranks just enough to finish midtable, so he did. Personally I think Hassenhutl is currently doing a far greater job at Spurs than both Poch and Koeman. Personally I would take Hassenhutl over Poch here, but th

If you want see a manager who overachieved, just don't look further than Klopp. Took a team that hasn't won the title in 20+ years and turned them into CL and PL favorites while going toe to toe with unlimited spending peak Pep. Now that is called overachieving.

So top 4 every year is not overachieving with Spurs?
Considering Spurs finished 5th, 5th, 4th, 6th before he took over, no it's not. If you want to look what over achievement looks with a smaller team, look no further than David Moyes. He literally took a relegation candidate in West Ham and transformed them into Top4 challengers.

As for the Trophies argument, here is from the man himself. Now tell, does this sound like someone who is United material, who is here to win trophies? If you were to pick: which one of these managers sounds more like SAF and which one sounds more like Moyes.

Exhibit 1

Exhibit 2

Night and day really.

Poch for the tears on the forum

How dare we hire a manager who has exceeded all expectations with two lesser clubs in the same division!
Tottenham actually sacked him because he didn’t meet their expectations so you can’t use them as an example! I will let you keep Southampton though.

RORY65

I still hope that we get Ten Hag in the summer but if those are the two options then I would go for Pochettino, who I think has gone from maybe slightly overrated to somewhat underrated on here despite him certainly not being a guaranteed hit. The reality is that Rangnick isn't really a manager, he's barely worked in that role for a decade and never at the top level (plus we haven't produced one coherent performance under him yet so the level of faith he's engendered is a bit odd) so why would I choose that over someone who is admittedly not lighting it up at PSG but did a really good job at Spurs not that long ago?

Laurencio

Tottenham actually sacked him because he didn’t meet their expectations so you can’t use them as an example! I will let you keep Southampton though.
Enlighten me, how many CL finals have they played since? How many top three finishes?

Volksie316

Why is Poch, so highly rated?

Yes, he did a good job at Spurs, but was then sacked after a terrible run and some how failed to win the League with PSG, which should be an automatic sacking really and is frankly embarrassing, considering the talent they have.

DSG

If that is the binary choice I take RR every time. I don't rate Poch that highly and think there are half a dozen managers in the PL better than him right now outside of the clubs in the top 6.
Wow. You mind naming those half dozen?

Enlighten me, how many CL finals have they played since? How many top three finishes?
None which is why they sacked Mourinho and Nuno as they didn’t meet expectations. Poch may not have deserved to be sacked but he didn’t meet their expectations.

Thiagoal

The Poch rumours never seem to go away and I suspect there’s no smoke without fire! Don’t really understand it to be honest and think ETH is a much better fit. In fact I’d rather keep Ralf or go with Potter if he’s not available

Sviken

Just keep Rangnick and shoot for Luis Enrique or some high caliber manager afterwards. No point in having another Ole who is inevitably going to get sacked anyway without achieving anything, leaving us right back to square one.

Laurencio

None which is why they sacked Mourinho and Nuno as they didn’t meet expectations. Poch may not have deserved to be sacked but he didn’t meet their expectations.
When Poch was sacked the team had clearly imploded - the reasons for that implosion are probably complicated and Pochettino might have been part of that.

However, it wouldn't be fair to claim that Pochettino didn't exceed expectations at Spurs - with three top 3 finishes, and a Champions League final he pretty much had that Spurs side overperforming beyond what anyone thought possible for them.

klsv

We're going to be linked with Poch until he retires so better get done with it. Sack him after two seasons and we can move on.

captaincantona

He was expected to finish Top4, he finished Top4 with Spurs every time. If you ask me that's called meeting expectation.

Also look at the squad he had at Southampton. He had a lot of very good players in his ranks just enough to finish midtable, so he did. Personally I think Hassenhutl is currently doing a far greater job at Spurs than both Poch and Koeman. Personally I would take Hassenhutl over Poch here, but th

If you want see a manager who overachieved, just don't look further than Klopp. Took a team that hasn't won the title in 20+ years and turned them into CL and PL favorites while going toe to toe with unlimited spending peak Pep. Now that is called overachieving.

Considering Spurs finished 5th, 5th, 4th, 6th before he took over, no it's not. If you want to look what over achievement looks with a smaller team, look no further than David Moyes. He literally took a relegation candidate in West Ham and transformed them into Top4 challengers.

As for the Trophies argument, here is from the man himself. Now tell, does this sound like someone who is United material, who is here to win trophies? If you were to pick: which one of these managers sounds more like SAF and which one sounds more like Moyes.

Exhibit 1

Exhibit 2

Night and day really.
Not really...Ten Haag has to talk like that...Ajax are complete favourites for that league every season and have a financial weight their closest rivals could only dream of. Poch was managing spurs. If Ten Haag was managing Spurs what do you think he would be saying?

When Poch was sacked the team had clearly imploded - the reasons for that implosion are probably complicated and Pochettino might have been part of that.

However, it wouldn't be fair to claim that Pochettino didn't exceed expectations at Spurs - with three top 3 finishes, and a Champions League final he pretty much had that Spurs side overperforming beyond what anyone thought possible for them.
Not saying your wrong as it’s all opinions from everyone but you saying he had them over performing is just your opinion and not a fact. You don’t have any trophies to point at that which could prove it.

I understand the transfer spend was like net 0 over his time there and trust me I do understand he did a good job. However, having the best striker in the premier league at the time come through their academy obviously saved them a lot of money. Sometimes the stars align a bit like class of 92 and a team can be fantastic quality despite low spend.

In the context of Poch for the Man Utd job, do you truely believe he will beat Pep, Klopp and Tuchel or do you think he will juat do a good job like he did at Tottenham (Not a bad job but not an amazing job either)?

allen7

Its a no brainer.

Rangnick is handling multiple crisis at united which no manager ever would want to have. Plus he is quite frank on his responses and clear on his approach. His playing style also improved in the last few matches.
At this moment, Rangnick >>> Poch

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He absolutely did. It’s a wonderful thing with hindsight. I understand not wanting him or having a preferred candidate but you can’t undermine his achievements.

He had Southampton playing some really good football. Football that got him noticed by Spurs and built his reputation.

Spurs had qualified once or twice for the CL in their entire history before he came along. There is a *massive* difference between being perennial contenders for top 4 and guaranteeing it and then going out and beating the likes of Madrid and City on the biggest stage. Just ask Moyes.

Look at Spurs net spend and salary across his time there and you see a team that should have been in 6th or 7th. You are talking about spending over nearly 5 full seasons without key players being adequately replaced.

He transformed Spurs from a running joke to a team that no one in Europe really wanted to play.

Like I said, you can have a preferred candidate or believe that he isn’t the right man for the job at United, but undermining his work, particularly at Spurs, is absolute madness and I would suggest is part of a bias based on the fact that you don’t fancy him at United.

There is no way, objectively, than you can say that he didn’t massively overachieve at Spurs.
Excellent post.

DSG

In 5 years he did not win a single trophy, I am not a Spurs fan but I would imagine that would be seen as an underachievement when you had the best years of the best striker in England and spunked 300M on signings. He had a couple of decent seasons getting into the CL as Arsenal, United et al were in turmoil but failed to grasp the opportunity that Ranieri took with a s significantly weaker Leicester side and win the PL title when it was there for the taking. Spurs league form over his last 12 months there was woeful and he had them on track for a relegation battle before he was mercifully fired.

If anybody had any doubts to how overrated he is they have been assuaged by his brilliant performance at PSG where he took over a team that was top of the table in a 1 horse race and managed to finish 2nd and has through 12 months in the job achieved a significantly poorer points per game performance than both Tuchel and Emery before him despite having an even better squad.
I’ve been on the board for years saying this. The love for the Caf for Poch was way over the top. When looked through the lens of trophies and accomplishments, it’s pretty underwhelming.

On the other hand, going toe to toe against Liverpool, City, Real and others is impressive, especially given the financial constraints. The fact that he now has experience at a huge club, won his first trophy and dealing with superstars is actually a good thing.

I do think he would get us back into the top four, take us further than Ralf — he already has a better coaching resume — instill a philosophy, be able to deal with the PR circus that is United, and have conviction in his tactics and players.

Realistically, he’s a bit of both and we are talking shades of gray here, not black and white. I think I’d support him over Ralf by a fair margin.

Chairman Steve

I’d like to think if Poch and PSG get comfortably dispatched by Real Madrid in the CL this month and the next, we won’t be touching him and neither will PSG as they’ll sack him the minute they got knocked out.

Poch gives off that energy that he’s peaked already and its downhill from here.