Rangnick's January Window

wolvored

Again, i agree, yet its not happening is it, it hasn’t happened yet despite him constantly dropping 0/10’s
True, but surely RR and whoever takes over can't let it keep going on. Is it the charity that is causing his form loss or something else? Either way he should be took aside and told you are out of the side until improvement

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some people are so blind.

Rangnick kept an unchanged team to make a statement that he isn't changing a team after just one game - that he doesn't have favourites like our fan base does.

Players will be dropped and picked depending on form - dropping a player after a 1-0 on the first PL game by Rangnick isn't going to happen.

DavelinaJolie

I do t expect anything to get done. Maybe ship off a couple of excess players at cut price deals.

Abraxas

I don't really see why Rangnick would wait to bring in a DM. If you figure we need 2 players for each spot (especially with Covid) we really only have Fred and McTominay for the 2 midfield spots.

We're in a battle for the final CL spot with Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs and possibly Leicester and you'd figure Rangnick needs a CL Semi-final berth or that 4th spot to consolidate his power at the club, either to extend his managership for another year or a front office spot and the ability to seriously influence or outright pick the next manager.

Covid makes signing players tough, but some team out there with a CM will be hurting for money.

I could see Renato Sanches. He'd fit in terms of high mobility in the deeper 2 spots and he's apparently itching for a move.
It's not just about Rangnick and what he wants. We lost a lot of money last year and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding things at the moment. Our wages have ballooned as well. It was clear we looked at a CM last summer but we wrote it off for another year. If they've identified the need but don't do it, that is probably for budgetary reasons.

For these reasons I think the first priority will be shifting people not in the club's plans and that will allow more leeway.

Of course they may look at the CM situation but it doesn't mean the right player is available for the right price. You may think a Renato Sanches is good enough but the club may not. The problem with January is the likelihood of availability of top targets. It's possible but not probable as generally decent players are at good clubs who have aspirations. In which case it's not about getting a body in, we've got a chance of top 4 with or without a signing so we shouldn't panic. Far, far better to spend on the right man whether that's January or the summer.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Martial, Pogba, Fred, Scott, AWB,AMAD, VDB, Jones, Williams, Tuzanbe, Mata, Lingard, Andreas, Fred, Matic are not Manchester United quality.

Maybe Newcastle will give us 400 milion for the lot :lol:

New RB, two New CMs another winger should do the trick. Maybe keep Fred and Scott as backup.
Hilarious

croadyman

It's not just about Rangnick and what he wants. We lost a lot of money last year and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding things at the moment. Our wages have ballooned as well. It was clear we looked at a CM last summer but we wrote it off for another year. If they've identified the need but don't do it, that is probably for budgetary reasons.

For these reasons I think the first priority will be shifting people not in the club's plans and that will allow more leeway.

Of course they may look at the CM situation but it doesn't mean the right player is available for the right price. You may think a Renato Sanches is good enough but the club may not. The problem with January is the likelihood of availability of top targets. It's possible but not probable as generally decent players are at good clubs who have aspirations. In which case it's not about getting a body in, we've got a chance of top 4 with or without a signing so we shouldn't panic. Far, far better to spend on the right man whether that's January or the summer.
Yeah be great if we could get a Haidara/Kamara type signing in January then go big for De Jong to replace Pogba in the summer

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm gonna be honest I haven't seen much of these kids that were being linked with (heidara and kamara) they both seem like hard working lads with decent attitude

Can someone give me a round up about their playing style and whether they suit us at all or not?

HailtotheKing

I think if Omicron continues to impact the league so strongly and the league continues, we'll be less likely to sell as many players. A big squad may be essential to compete.
Depends on if they’re vaxxed or not.

HailtotheKing

Yeah, I would be surprised if Rangnick isn't desperate to get another deeper midfielder in as soon as January. It would be surprising if he looks at McTominay as a starter and he doesn't seem to have immediately looked at VDB as a starter there either.
Slightly worrying that he’s already calling him Scotty though :) But tbh he’s played much better these last two games.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Think Rangnick will look for power and athleticism for a midfielder in January.

Alemar

Martial won't be allowed to leave in January, it's very difficult to find a replacement in the winter window.
Why do we need a “replacement” for someone who doesn’t play anyway? He is not needed, so no need to replace either

Lemon Moon

Why do we need a “replacement” for someone who doesn’t play anyway? He is not needed, so no need to replace either
So in your logic just because he isn't getting games means we don't need to replace him if he left? Wise.
We do need him, we need him to be the player we spent 50 million pounds on.

Dante

Average bang
I think that rightback should be more of a priority than midfield for this Rangnick system.

McFred are serviceable in a 4-2-2-2. Dalot and Wan-Bissaka aren't.

Alemar

So in your logic just because he isn't getting games means we don't need to replace him if he left?
Personally, I think our current squad is unbalanced: we are heavily loaded in strikers’ department and too lightweight in others - so it’s better to get rid of him at this point (using transfer fee and wage savings to strengthen the team in other areas).

UpWithRivers

Personally, I think our current squad is unbalanced: we are heavily loaded in strikers’ department and too lightweight in others - so it’s better to get rid of him at this point (using transfer fee and wage savings to strengthen the team in other areas).
Problem is that we are not overloaded with strikers. Rashford isnt good in a front 2. Greenwood hasnt proved himself there yet and Ralf keeps saying he needs to improve physically. Cavani is injured and looks like he wants out. That leaves Ronaldo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Letting an interim manager sign players, what could go wrong eh?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
There can't be much risk to buying a decent holding mid in Jan. We can go big in the summer, but for right now even a decent bloke would start for us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
not really the same is it though, when we actually have Murtogh and Fletcher in their roles now and the fact he'll be at the club for 3 years at a minimum.

lex talionis

There can't be much risk to buying a decent holding mid in Jan. We can go big in the summer, but for right now even a decent bloke would start for us.
Absolutely correct. We can squeeze a few more minutes out of Matic but we’re desperate for a CDM now. We can go in for another Rice-quality CDM in the summer.

Lemon Moon

Striker wise we actually only have Cavani + Ronaldo, oh & Greenwood to be fair but he's preferred out wide for some reason?
Remember when we won the treble? We had 2 men for each spot on the team. We need to keep that level of squad depth. Especially with our injury records & two members of the striker department are closer to 40 than 30.

Marcus & Martial are not Strikers in my opinion. Wingers or wide forwards or whatever. Not strikers though.

charlenefan

not really the same is it though, when we actually have Murtogh and Fletcher in their roles now and the fact he'll be at the club for 3 years at a minimum.
It's still signing players who 6 months later might not fit into the actual managers plans

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's still signing players who 6 months later might not fit into the actual managers plans
Isn't that the point of getting Rangnick in though, he gets in players that fit the style we are looking to adopt?

RuudTom83

Its not ideal, you have to think about it from the players side as well, not knowing who the next manager will be in 6 months might be off putting.

Limits the options for sure.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Do you think that letting Rangnick remake everything the way he wants is a 6 month plan, and that the new manager will come in and want to do things differently?

If you know Rangnick's history this shouldn't seem strange at all, he's moved from DOF type positions into management and back again, but he's made sure the managers under him follow his football philosophy.

I suspect we already have a gentleman's agreement with our next manager, but whoever it is, they'll be continuing on with Ralf's type of football.

charlenefan

Isn't that the point of getting Rangnick in though, he gets in players that fit the style we are looking to adopt?
Depends on how linear that is, for example both Pep and Klopp would both fit the overal philosophy I'm sure the club wants to adopt but they'll be players who can work well under one and not so well under the other

When Rangnick was announced as interim people who want ETH as the next full time manager were saying he probably wasn't the most natural fit to carry on what RR would be putting into place (others argued the same about Poch)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Depends on how linear that is, for example both Pep and Klopp would both fit the overal philosophy I'm sure the club wants to adopt but they'll be players who can work well under one and not so well under the other

When Rangnick was announced as interim people who want ETH as the next full time manager were saying he probably wasn't the most natural fit to carry on what RR would be putting into place (others argued the same about Poch)
There's probably still more overlap than players who would be useless in a Pep system, but great in a Klopp team, so I'm not sure he'd never buy a player who's so niche to a system that they'd be completely useless to the next manager.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I think spending will be limited the clubs debt has sky rocketed the last few years and any spending we do will be with borrowed money. That doesn’t seem wise espically considering going by what’s going on in Scotland there is a real chance that fans will be banned from stadiums again soon so we are going to loose further revenue.

So unless Newcastle come in with a big big for Martial and Lingard spending doesn’t seem that wise.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Except the fact that he will be in "advisory role" beyond, and also have a say in our future manager too.

Also, do you really think our current midfield options are good enough for remain of the season?

Real Name

Whats the solution then, finish the season with the same team and see how it goes. As others have said he'll stay at the club after 6 months and have a say in picking a new manager.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So in your logic just because he isn't getting games means we don't need to replace him if he left? Wise.
We do need him, we need him to be the player we spent 50 million pounds on.
But he isn't that player. Hasn't been for a long time.

United need players capable of delivering.

What we don't need is softness when it comes to players like Martial. Hes not delivering on the field so bye bye. The time for acceptance of him and his approach is over.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think spending will be limited the clubs debt has sky rocketed the last few years and any spending we do will be with borrowed money. That doesn’t seem wise espically considering going by what’s going on in Scotland there is a real chance that fans will be banned from stadiums again soon so we are going to loose further revenue.

So unless Newcastle come in with a big big for Martial and Lingard spending doesn’t seem that wise.
Debt is reducing year on year..
Glazers can fund money for signings if they want