Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don't think he's played all that great, hardly a weird take. For a player of his stature I've been disappointed. I accept he's had 2 injuries and he needs to get up to speed again but he has looked nothing like the player I saw play for France in 2018 World Cup for example. Also these regular injuries are a worry.
If you’ve expected him to play like he did around 2018 then fair enough, sorry. He’s certainly not as good as he was back then, so with those expectations in mind it would be a disappointing transfer.

OmarUnited4ever

People will defend it because he isn't one of their scapegoats.
for me, he was horrible yesterday, and such performance cannot be excused from a player like him, even though he is returning from an injury, I still think he performed terribly.

If he repeats it, then I will start to have my doubts.

philipos

I think we need to give him a bit of slack. Whenever he played previously this season, our defence looked much better and more composed. He returned from a longish injury so hopefully he just needs to regain his match fitness.

EdinburghDevil

He's had a stop start season, new club, new league and looked rusty. He'll come good with a good run of games.

He should be partnered with Lindelof, however. That's becoming increasingly more evident with each game that passes.

arthurka

He's had a stop start season, new club, new league and looked rusty. He'll come good with a good run of games.

He should be partnered with Lindelof, however. That's becoming increasingly more evident with each game that passes.
Maguire should be shelved for a long time hope Lindelöf isn't going to be away for too long.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He hasn‘t played for ages but regardless of this, the way we have been playing this season for some weird reasons makes it really hard for our defence. If your attacking players don‘t work hard enough then don‘t play as many. Sacrifice one of them for Matic or DvB. I don‘t care if we have to play McFred + Matic/DvB. Get the basics right, look like a solid team and only gradually start getting more attacking.
A bit similar to what Carrick did against Villarreal.

Peshi

I think all of you are very hard on Varane, the guy played his first start for a good while. Despite the error leading to the goal which I mostly blame Maguire for since he tells Dalot to go on the outside so he can take the inside if Maxim goes inside. What happens? Maxim goes inside but still Maguire is not there to take the ball and he uses his arms to push like everytime he does.
Anyway, despite the error from Varane and 1 miss placed pass, he was good at defending. He made more interception then maybe the whole defence together. So be patient guys.

el3mel

Real Madrid robbed us as usual. Got Varane's best years then sold us his shitty injury prone version.

I expect his time with us to be full of injuries and needing ages to regain form before getting injured again and so on.

CloneMC16

People will defend it because he isn't one of their scapegoats.
I hate that. Just because you like a player doesn't mean you should make excuses for them. If Maguire played as shit as Varane did yesterday, he would have gotten dogs abuse on here. That performance equalled Maguire's worst for one of the worst performances we've seen from any of our CB's this season.

According to many of our fans, this guy was supposed to help us to fix the defence. At least bring a little bit of stability that we've been missing for a long time. He's been making at least one really bad error per game he's played. Yesterday, was by far the worst we've seen from him for us.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think all of you are very hard on Varane, the guy played his first start for a good while. Despite the error leading to the goal which I mostly blame Maguire for since he tells Dalot to go on the outside so he can take the inside if Maxim goes inside. What happens? Maxim goes inside but still Maguire is not there to take the ball and he uses his arms to push like everytime he does.
Anyway, despite the error from Varane and 1 miss placed pass, he was good at defending. He made more interception then maybe the whole defence together. So be patient guys.
Yeah he’s still new and has been out for a while. At least give our signings a chance.

SATA

I find him the least of our worries along with Sancho because we know they are top class players and will eventually come good. We have more gaping issues in the team like Maguire, McFred midfield and Alex fecking Telles

tomaldinho1

I’m concerned purely based off how awkwardly he’s moving. The mistake for the goal was stupid but whatever, as long as that is a random one off but he runs like both his hammys are about to pop.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Don't really blame him. Imagine coming back from a long injury into a team as dysfunctional as this one, while having had very few games to build synergy with teammates.
Yeah exactly. Despite Varane's mistake, Maxi still has to beat Maguire 1v1 to get a shot off and the oil tanker could've done a hell of a lot better than flapping his arms around. Bailly would've.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid robbed us as usual. Got Varane's best years then sold us his shitty injury prone version.

I expect his time with us to be full of injuries and needing ages to regain form before getting injured again and so on.
You never know with these kind of things. Varane was an absolute beast when he first broke through as 19 years old. Last 2-3 he has been on slight decline, but still world class.

The funny thing is his replacement at RM has turned out to be an absolute monster. Ramos and Varane has not been missed at all.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
my main concern with varane is a mental one. where is his head at? there was a big song and dance when he joined about him being sold on ole’s vision for the club and the plan for the next three years. a few, short months later and ole’s gone, carrick and mckenna are gone. the glitter and sparkle they brought are gone. what’s left?

he turns out at old trafford to see the roof leaking, paint peeling and the near vertical drop from playing surface to advertising boards below. he looks to the guy partnering him to ease him back into matches but he’s too busy performing laboured three point turns in an attempt to run after a notoriously slow striker that has just breezed past him.

he turns up to training, used to state of the art facilities at real, only to find rangnick in lederhosen, dancing to the oompah band whilst shaw piles down currywurst after currywurst. mike phelan is aimlessly wandering around asking “do you know what i’m supposed to be doing here?” no wonder it’s taking him time to find his feet.

Redlyn

I find him the least of our worries along with Sancho because we know they are top class players and will eventually come good. We have more gaping issues in the team like Maguire, McFred midfield and Alex fecking Telles
RB is more of an issue than LB really. A back up LB cannot be considered a gaping issue.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Definitely looked better, he was thrown into a tough situation last game after the layover but still felt he could have been much better. However, he is definitely injury prone, and I hope for United's sake he becomes a bit more reliable in staying healthy and stringing a run of games together, but the partnership needs to be decided and stuck with for the most part. I think him and Lindelof so far have looked the most convincing, but Maguire and his ridiculous price tag will be impossible to leave aside for long.

A-man

Good defending in the box, especially considering he never played with Jones before. Two things I don’t like however. He never wins back possession, always clears even a simple ball to corner, throw in, or back to the opponent. Second thing, he is really not very adventurous with the ball, to put it politely. Overall ok game.

lex talionis

Varane actually had a good game. Quiet, but that’s what you want from a CB. You don’t want your CB having to make last ditch tackles. See the danger and quietly snuff it out. Let the attacking players make the highlight reel.

OmarUnited4ever

I think yesterday he didn't perform to the level he is used to, good thing is, he did better than how he performed vs Newcastle, he needs to do much better though, since he is considered one of Europe's top defenders, this season he was unlucky with injuries so hopefully he is now over his injuries now and can string few games together and pick up his form

OmarUnited4ever

Good defending in the box, especially considering he never played with Jones before. Two things I don’t like however. He never wins back possession, always clears even a simple ball to corner, throw in, or back to the opponent. Second thing, he is really not very adventurous with the ball, to put it politely. Overall ok game.
I agree with your assessment, especially when you say he was not adventurous with the ball, but for me, I think it is best if he keeps it simple, like just clear the ball, pass it simply and so on, reason is, our midfield and attack is inconsistent and disjointed, and we can't control possession, so him keeping it simple is the best decision for now.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think we tend to overrate him a bit (like we normally do with most of our players who are not total crap), but he was solid and surely he is not one of our problems. Give him a top commanding CB partner and we will be fine for the next years.

Teffe

I think we tend to overrate him a bit (like we normally do with most of our players who are not total crap), but he was solid and surely he is not one of our problems. Give him a top commanding CB partner and we will be fine for the next years.
Didn't I read this exact line in the Maguire performance a year ago? :lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Varane is still class. As long as we manage him correctly and not rush him back from an injury like Ole did he should be fine.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s amazing how often people who get over-invested in defending unfair criticism of one player so often end up doing the exact same thing to players competing for his place in the team. Varane’s distribution has been fine for us so far. He’s actually showed a decent range of passing. From between the lines to crossfield switches of play. He still looks a little rusty overall and it can’t be easy playing in central defence without any chance to establish a solid partnership but he’s looked like one our better players in a difficult season and was again on Monday night.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Don't think he was very good, and think Jones was quite a lot better. Better positioning, more aggressive, more adventurous with the ball.

Been a bit of a disappointment for me, he's not one of our problems if he can remain fit, but don't think he's a player that tilts us towards a higher level either.

IhabX7

It’s amazing how often people who get over-invested in defending unfair criticism of one player so often end up doing the exact same thing to players competing for his place in the team. Varane’s distribution has been fine for us so far. He’s actually showed a decent range of passing. From between the lines to crossfield switches of play. He still looks a little rusty overall and it can’t be easy playing in central defence without any chance to establish a solid partnership but he’s looked like one our better players in a difficult season and was again on Monday night.
You're one to talk.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Don't think he was very good, and think Jones was quite a lot better. Better positioning, more aggressive, more adventurous with the ball.

Been a bit of a disappointment for me, he's not one of our problems if he can remain fit, but don't think he's a player that tilts us towards a higher level either.
But but but varane has just come back from injury and is settling in to the pace.

A-man

His passing is maybe “fine” but not good enough. It doesn’t open up, it doesn’t make us advance. It’s not a young talent or an average player we are talking about, it’s the highest paid defender in the PL. It’s fair to expect something above average and more than “fine”.

luke511

Imagine jumping from being behind Casemiro, Kroos and Modric to McTominay and Fred. No wonder he's on edge a bit, our midfield is a confidence vacuum.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His passing is maybe “fine” but not good enough. It doesn’t open up, it doesn’t make us advance. It’s not a young talent or an average player we are talking about, it’s the highest paid defender in the PL. It’s fair to expect something above average and more than “fine”.
Maybe we should be expecting this from the midfield more and not the CBs. His passing is fine, he spreads the play well and can pass into the forwards too.

Things look a lot worse because the midfield does nothing

RUCK4444

Imagine jumping from being behind Casemiro, Kroos and Modric to McTominay and Fred. No wonder he's on edge a bit, our midfield is a confidence vacuum.
So true. There is an Extreme difference in quality there.

Basically whenever Fred isn't playing there is zero barrier in front of the defence. Compared to having one of the best DM's in the world and one of the best all round midfielders of his generation.

criticalanalysis

It truly is. If Varane was Swedish, the judgement would have been 'played well, defended and cleared everything in front of him in a disjointed team'. Any other player and it's basically no benefit of the doubt given with much harsher views. It's fanatical bias and devotion.

lex talionis

Varane and Jones looked a decent partnership. Yes it was only Wolves, but we may want to give Varane and Jones another look even after Maguire is cleared for fitness.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm not worried about him . unless the rot has gotten to him , he'll be fine . Just needs a run of games to get back to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.